Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Giants Team Forum

New York Giants Team Forum Discuss the G-Men

Old 05-19-2014, 08:58 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hey guys, sorry I haven't been posting much lately. I always post on here during work hours and I just recently got a new job, and I haven't gotten the courage yet to post during work with this new job so I just haven't been on here much. I'm not avoiding the forum or anything, it's just I always post during work and can't at the moment. Hopefully in a month or so I'll feel comfortable enough around the office to start posting again!

I use twitter bc I can use my phone and not leave a trail behind for my boss to see. So that's why I haven't been on here but have been on twitter.

Thanks for all the love! I greatly appreciate it, I really do. Thanks Forenci! I love you guys (pause).

As for the draft...meh. I give it a B-. I like ODB a lot, but he was 3rd on my list, I wanted Aaron Donald or Zac Martin over him. But I was ok with the pick, and he was 3rd on my list so I can't complain. Pugh was like 3rd on my list last year and that turned out fine.

Loved Rich, we needed a C. I was in favor of Marcus Martin but the more I read about Rich the more I think it was a better selection. That was probably my favorite pick in our draft.

Hated the Bromley pick. I see mixed reviews, and some say he's a sleeper and blah blah blah. He's another project player. And we haven't done well with those. And I just don't see it. He lacks punch, he's not physical, sloppy technique, his athleticism doesn't really stand out to me, I just think he's gonna be another failed experiment.

I was ok with taking a RB in the 4th, he's a good player. Could use some work in the pass game but that'll come with time.

Rest of the draft, your guess is as good as mine. Nothing really stuck out to me. My guess is we'll have another terrible rounds 5-7.

Speaking of which, the 2013 draft is already looking terrible after round 3 AGAIN. Think about it.

Round 4 - Nassib: sucks
Round 5 - Cooper Taylor - looks like he won't be ****.
Round 6 - Heremans - sucks
Round 7 - Cox - we just drafted a RB and signed one in FA so that's not a ringing endorsement

So again, we lay a major egg after round 3. This is a serious problem. This year I'm not really excited about any of the guys after round 4, could be a problem again.

I don't know. I'm starting to lose faith in this front office.

My saving grace is the potential scheme change on offense should offset a lot of our fails, plus I really really think that the scheme change is going to bring out the best in a lot of our "busts" on offense.

And Im in the minority in this, but I really do think we're ok at TE. Robinson and Donnell will be fine in this offense. Although I still think we shouldve gotten Quarles in FA but whatevs.

Anyway, I know I've been away and I'm sorry I haven't been posting much, but trust me I'll be back! Just give it time, I gotta get comfortable at work first.

And thanks for all the concerns and well wishes. Means a lot to me. Everyone go be great and follow me on twitter.

@GmenandKnicks
Old 05-20-2014, 12:50 AM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Haha it's alright BBD! Was just worried about you, buddy! We're like a little family here. Just wanted to make sure you were all good health wise. Followed ya on twitter foo. I'm @alexanthonyv
Old 05-20-2014, 02:40 AM    (permalink
cgf (Rosebud)
Veteran

cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What team does regularly get players out of their 5th/6th/7th rounders? I see you guys gripe about it and I'm just curious which team couldn't share that complaint?

Anyway, glad you're doing well and hope the new job is all you wanted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
We've already seen that your love is only capable of destroying.
cgf (Rosebud) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 08:34 AM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Good to hear from you foo! I haven't posted as much either. But you went AWOL. I didn't know you were feeling chest pain. If that's true, go to the ER, express care, and get that thing figured out man.

I am glad you stopped by and proved you were alive. I figured by now you would have posted good thing the rest of the guys who post more realized you weren't here.

Hope everything is going well man! Go offense!
NY+Giants=NYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 08:42 AM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgf (Rosebud) View Post
What team does regularly get players out of their 5th/6th/7th rounders? I see you guys gripe about it and I'm just curious which team couldn't share that complaint?

Anyway, glad you're doing well and hope the new job is all you wanted!
It's more 3rd and 4th round to me. We never get a good player from those spots. And I'm with BBD on this draft, I feel like Bromley was a big reach. RBs are easy to get production out of so I'm not worried about that but this center better be good.
Jughead10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 08:52 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I do like the S we took and I have a good feeling about the USC tweener also.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 01:25 PM    (permalink
Mel Pipeher
Rookie

Mel Pipeher could make a wolverine purr.Mel Pipeher could make a wolverine purr.Mel Pipeher could make a wolverine purr.Mel Pipeher could make a wolverine purr.Mel Pipeher could make a wolverine purr.Mel Pipeher could make a wolverine purr.Mel Pipeher could make a wolverine purr.Mel Pipeher could make a wolverine purr.Mel Pipeher could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
I do like the S we took and I have a good feeling about the USC tweener also.
Yea I like the 5th round picks as well. They seem like real football guys. At the very least solid role players and good special teamers.

If we would've taken Nix instead of Bromley in the 3rd I'd be much happier with this draft. But the fact that we took a 6th round guy that early spoils it for me.
Mel Pipeher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 02:17 PM    (permalink
BaLLiN
2014 Mock Draft Champion
All-Pro

BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't think Nix fits what we want to do on defense, and I am not a fan of a player with weight and endurance issues.

Side note, Eric Winston is still a FA. Now, he didn't have as good of a year in Arizona as he has had in the past with Houston or Kansas, but I think he would be a good fit here in a ZBS.

Current Giants OL:

Tackles:
Justin Pugh
Will Beatty
Charles Brown
James Brewer
Brandon Mosley
Troy Kropog
Steven Baker

Guards:
Geoff Schwartz
Chris Snee
John Jerry
Eric Herman
Stephen Goodin

Centers:
JD Walton
Weston Richburg

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2011/profil...ugh?id=2540195

I happen to agree with what nfl.com said. He is very good moving, doesn't have the strength or size to sustain an edge as a RT. I would much rather kick him inside to RG, and a pro bowl caliber RG at that. Generally I feel like his game is similar to Snee's, where he is very intelligent, could be one of the best interior pass blockers to handle the interior rush. I do realize that its annoying and aggravating to a player to switch him not once but twice, but Pugh's best position in the NFL is without a doubt RG. I just don't see Snee being a capable player with an injury like he had.

Geoff Schwartz is definitely a guy I would consider at RT but ultimately i think his stoutness would help keep a clean pocket, also being a more run-oriented lineman allows for him to be the pull guy or a cutback lane mauler. I am excited for this guy.

Last interior spot being center I really don't know what's up. Walton and Richburg aren't real physically appealing, but I do agree that they are leaders and their intelligence lends themselves to being the centers of the new offensive schemes we see today. I give the edge to Walton, but honestly Richburg starting wouldn't surprise me.

I believe that Will Beatty doesn't suck. I think he is an average to good left tackle, but 2013 was awful for all of the offensive line and rest of the offense. Scrap this past year, start fresh. Beatty is our guy, we paid him, he has shown he could play at a high level.

Right Tackle is a position that has shifted a bit from what we used to know. With Tight ends being used more in the passing game, these players now have to be more adept at pass protection than in previous years. However, we are still a more traditional team. Eric Winston was a pro bowl caliber player with the Texans, and played at a very high level with Kansas City. At Arizona the line and tight ends there were less than average, aside from making excuses, I still think Winston is a quality starter that we should approach.

This would be the line I'd enjoy seeing us put out on the field:

Beatty - Schwartz - Walton - Pugh - Winston

Good read on modern era OL:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...x.html?eref=T1

Edit: and if we are talking about getting leaders, Winston is on the NFL PA board so there's that.

Another FA I thought was interesting although its not going to happen:

http://espn.go.com/blog/green-bay-pa...-wants-to-play

Sig by BK <3

Jerry Reese is sooo Dreamy <3333

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper's Rep Comment
I ****** hate you, stupid *** smd
Greatest. Rep. Comment. EVER! You're not 12 or anything.
Philadelphia, the city of brotherly love (:

Last edited by BaLLiN : 05-20-2014 at 02:22 PM.
BaLLiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 02:37 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

From the media day rookie thing today it sounded like TE will be all over the place in the passing game.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 05-20-2014, 02:54 PM    (permalink
Damix
All-Pro

Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Wasn't winston terrible in KC as well?
Damix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 04:13 PM    (permalink
BaLLiN
2014 Mock Draft Champion
All-Pro

BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damix View Post
Wasn't winston terrible in KC as well?
http://www.revengeofthebirds.com/201...inston-in-2013

Sig by BK <3

Jerry Reese is sooo Dreamy <3333

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper's Rep Comment
I ****** hate you, stupid *** smd
Greatest. Rep. Comment. EVER! You're not 12 or anything.
Philadelphia, the city of brotherly love (:
BaLLiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 04:45 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
From the media day rookie thing today it sounded like TE will be all over the place in the passing game.
Quote:
The more Robinson talked, the more I couldn’t help but wonder if Brandon Myers wasn’t just a year too early for the Giants. The way the new offense plans to utilize the tight end seems to fit his skill set perfectly. That, and Jermichael Finley.
http://www.bigblueinteractive.com/20...-hits-tidbits/

That's bad luck, Myers may have been more productive if he was signed this year.
Old 05-20-2014, 04:47 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Myers was so meh though. I'm glad we're going to just throw these young guys in the fire.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 05-20-2014, 04:49 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

Myers stunk, but in a WCO system was productive. I think he would be an interesting fit.
Old 05-20-2014, 04:50 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY+Giants=NYG View Post
Myers stunk, but in a WCO system was productive. I think he would be an interesting fit.
I'll never forgive him for that pass in Chicago where the ball went right through his hands for an INT. NEVER!

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 05-20-2014, 04:53 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

Yeah that would pathetic. But I blame Reese. What the heck are you doing signing an undersized WCO TE when the average build was between 6'4 to 6'6 256-280 lbs.

So you sign a short and light Myers? Why? A taller TE makes the catch. That
's why I posed the question if there was a disconnect between front office and drafting/signing players and coaching.

Why draft Travis Beckum? He would be useful to see in this offense. Why waste a 3rd rounder on him? WHY!?

Stupid Ross and Reese.
Old 05-20-2014, 05:00 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Here is a good article on BBI about Adrien Robinson

http://www.bigblueinteractive.com/20...rien-robinson/
Big_Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 05:07 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
http://www.bigblueinteractive.com/20...-hits-tidbits/

That's bad luck, Myers may have been more productive if he was signed this year.
These pieces stood out to me from that article

Quote:
By far and away the player that stood out the most was Adrien Robinson. The oft-injured tight end seems very dialed in knowing his chances are wearing out. He seems in good shape, down 15 pounds and looking to make it 20, and seems to truly love the new offense. Unlike before, Robinson and his fellow tight ends will be moving around quite a bit, including in the backfield.
and

Quote:
The one alarming thing that stood out about Robinson was when he mentioned his weight from last year. The 25-year-old played at 285 pounds and that wasn’t per the coaches request.
It is interesting that both JPP and Robinson were well above their normal playing weight last year. Both guys are 25, both were playing at 285lbs last year and both are now down to 270lbs.

The plus side is that both seem very focussed this year and have gotten their weight down and seem to have regained speed and quickness.

Both seem to have key roles for NYG this year.
Old 05-20-2014, 05:09 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Myers was so meh though. I'm glad we're going to just throw these young guys in the fire.
I think it's good. Teams do it all the time but TC would never do that before this year, when ownership is pressuring him to.
Old 05-20-2014, 05:11 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

No one saw AR because he barely did anything. JPP, it was obvious he got fatter, and it was talked about on BBI and pictures were posted of Rookie yr vs last season.
Old 05-20-2014, 05:13 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Yeah that would pathetic. But I blame Reese. What the heck are you doing signing an undersized WCO TE when the average build was between 6'4 to 6'6 256-280 lbs.

So you sign a short and light Myers? Why? A taller TE makes the catch. That
's why I posed the question if there was a disconnect between front office and drafting/signing players and coaching.

Why draft Travis Beckum? He would be useful to see in this offense. Why waste a 3rd rounder on him? WHY!?

Stupid Ross and Reese.
The bigger issue in my opinion is why did he let Martellus Bennett leave in free agency.

Brandon Myers cap number for 2013 was $1,125,000

Martellus Bennett's cap number for Chicago was $1,940,000 in 2013

It is likely that Reese is not entirely to blame, our positional coaches have a decent input to our player evaluations. I actually wonder whether player evaluations of the current roster combined with the positional performances are the main reasons Pope and Ingram were fired.
Old 05-20-2014, 05:13 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

Connor Hughes ‏@92Hughes92 21s
Robinson says he likes new offense more #NYG #Giants #BBI

Has any player actually said they prefer the old system better? haha, funny who they like their routes. "Your route is your route."
Old 05-20-2014, 05:16 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Pete View Post
The bigger issue in my opinion is why did he let Martellus Bennett leave in free agency.

Brandon Myers cap number for 2013 was $1,125,000

Martellus Bennett's cap number for Chicago was $1,940,000 in 2013

It is likely that Reese is not entirely to blame, our positional coaches have a decent input to our player evaluations. I actually wonder whether player evaluations of the current roster combined with the positional performances are the main reasons Pope and Ingram were fired.
MB left because we didn't offer him a contract fast enough. He was saying that on NFL AM during that off season. He said it like you want the hot girl to ask you to the prom, but she hasn't yet, and you're waiting and waiting. Meanwhile, someone asks you and you say yes because you don't want to be without a date.

LOL. It was a funny analogy he made. But we had other guys to re-sign Cruz being number 1.

We had Linval to re-sign, Nicks, and Cruz. Ironic now that 2 of the 3 guys are gone.
Old 05-20-2014, 05:24 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Here is an interesting read.

Geoff Schwartz and Weston Richburg are being mentored by former saints probowl center LeCharles Bentley.

It is also interesting what he has to say about Pugh, Snee and the Oline.

Interestingly, Bentley was at the Saints in 2004 when Ben McAdoo was their offensive assistant/quality control coach.

Bentley was a player I liked a lot.

Quote:
New Giants linemen getting outside help

By Dan Graziano | ESPN.com

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- It's tough to imagine having to tell an NFL offensive lineman how to eat. New York Giants left guard Geoff Schwartz, for example, is 6-foot-6, 340 pounds. Guys like that don't strike you as the sort who have to be selective at the buffet line.

But to hear Schwartz tell it, until he hooked up with former NFL offensive lineman LeCharles Bentley at Bentley's offensive line academy in Arizona a couple of years ago, he was doing it all wrong.

"It's just a whole lifestyle change, but the diet especially," Schwartz said Tuesday during a break from the Giants' offseason workouts. "[Bentley] really is big on that. Because if you're lifting and you're not eating right, you're just not getting the most out of it. And it affects everything you do, really."

Bentley, who played for the New Orleans Saints from 2002 to 2005 and sustained a career-ending knee injury in 2006, runs a year-round program called "LB O-line Performance." He recruits a handful of candidates each year from the college and professional ranks and brings them out to Arizona for training specific to the needs of their size and their position. Then he stays in touch throughout the year, checking in weekly or more often with nutrition advice, changes in workout routines, film reviews, etc.

"That's what makes him so special," said center Weston Richburg, the Giants' second-round pick in this year's draft and another Bentley protégé. "He's made it specific for each different person, and you can call on him at any time for anything you need."

Schwartz said his nutrition program is different than Richburg's, since Richburg is about 40 pounds lighter and has different needs. The rookie might need to add weight during the season, whereas Schwartz wants to take some off or maintain. Schwartz said he no longer eats carbs in the offseason, which has been driving him crazy during his wife's pregnancy but has helped to change him as a player. Schwartz signed a four-year, $16.8 million contract with the Giants in March after emerging as a star at guard with the Chiefs last year. He doesn't think it's any coincidence that 2013 was his first year in Bentley's program, and neither does Bentley.

"The idea is to be able to put yourself in a situation where you're in top shape year-round," Bentley said in a phone interview Monday. "I always equate it to a bank account. Most big athletes take so much out, and bigger withdrawals every time with the effort they put in athletically. And when you compound it with poor choices in terms of quality of life, then you're not putting anything back in. Or what you put in isn't big enough to make up for those withdrawals. Little guys, leaner guys like wide receivers have a bit more of a head start. They can eat those candy bars and get away with it."

Schwartz and Richburg, who could form two-fifths of the Giants' starting offensive line in 2014, are converts. And Bentley believes the Giants, whose offensive line issues were thoroughly devastating in 2013, will look a lot different because of them.

"Now you're able to open up your playbook as an offensive coordinator," Bentley said. "Chris Snee was like that for the Giants for so long, and with guys like this they're getting back to that -- versatile guys who can play tough and strong and quick and athletic and anything you need. With these guys, you're not limited in terms of your ability to be creative as an offensive coordinator. I know for sure they have two guys who can address every need in terms of offensive line play. As a matter of fact, these two guys expand what you're able to do."

Bentley is a fan of Justin Pugh, the 2013 first-round pick who started all 16 games at right tackle for the Giants as a rookie. And Snee is still on the team and hoping to hold up for a season at right guard. If Richburg can beat out J.D. Walton for the starting center job, his responsibilities in new coordinator Ben McAdoo's offense will be extensive, before the snap as well as after it.

"I felt Weston was the most pro-ready center in this year's draft class, and I still stand firmly on that," Bentley said. "He can do exactly what Ben wants him to do. In terms of his mental decorum, he's built for this. He's designed to take on a lead role. And he's not, for lack of a better term, some nerd who's only out there because he can make the calls. He's a bona fide football player."

Richburg and Schwartz both believe they're better football players for having hooked up with Bentley. The Giants, who needed all kinds of help on the offensive line, stand to benefit a great deal from that in 2014 and beyond.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york-gia...g-outside-help
Old 05-20-2014, 05:31 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Quote:
MB left because we didn't offer him a contract fast enough. He was saying that on NFL AM during that off season. He said it like you want the hot girl to ask you to the prom, but she hasn't yet, and you're waiting and waiting. Meanwhile, someone asks you and you say yes because you don't want to be without a date.

LOL. It was a funny analogy he made. But we had other guys to re-sign Cruz being number 1.

We had Linval to re-sign, Nicks, and Cruz. Ironic now that 2 of the 3 guys are gone.
It is still a touchy point to me, I would have rather resigned Bennett than Beatty.