Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Giants Team Forum

New York Giants Team Forum Discuss the G-Men

Old 05-21-2014, 06:56 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He could be but I haven't seen enough of him as a player to judge either way. I think we'll be fine though.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 07:15 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Here is a decent article on JD Walton if anyone is interested

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2..._richburg.html
Big_Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 07:23 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah I just think he was confused out there as a route runner. He has the size, speed, he can block. But he ran a lot of wrong routes and wasn't productive bc of it. I feel like he can really thrive in this new offense.
Old 05-21-2014, 07:26 PM    (permalink
Mel Pipeher
Rookie

Mel Pipeher hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
JPP picked up Prince's soft ass and threw him in an ice tub while the team recorded it and laughed at him.

Don't let Jonathan Martin's creamsicle ass make you think the Dolphins were a bunch of bullies. They weren't. He was just soft as ****.

Am I the only one who likes Donnell as a sleeper this year? I don't trust Robinson's health but I really like Donnell and think he can thrive in this new offense.
I agree 100% with the first part regarding Jerry.

You may very well be.. We haven't seen near enough of Donnell.
Mel Pipeher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 07:29 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel Pipeher View Post
I agree 100% with the first part regarding Jerry.

You may very well be.. We haven't seen near enough of Donnell.
Yeah it's a stretch on my part but I have confidence in our TEs. I really have no reason to be, but I just do.

If this scheme change is truly what we hope it is, I really think a lot of our skill position players are going to have breakout seasons. It's no coincidence that Jernigan suddenly looked like an NFL player at the end of the season when we ditched the option routes for him.

Same with Randle. Dude kept running the wrong routes and getting Eli picked off, then when we don't have him run options (like the Cleveland game his rookie year) he goes off.

I feel like we can see someone emerge from the TE spot with the new offense. They won't be Jimmy Graham by any means, but I have faith in them even though I have no reason to.
Old 05-21-2014, 07:54 PM    (permalink
Mel Pipeher
Rookie

Quote:
Yeah it's a stretch on my part but I have confidence in our TEs. I really have no reason to be, but I just do.

If this scheme change is truly what we hope it is, I really think a lot of our skill position players are going to have breakout seasons. It's no coincidence that Jernigan suddenly looked like an NFL player at the end of the season when we ditched the option routes for him.

Same with Randle. Dude kept running the wrong routes and getting Eli picked off, then when we don't have him run options (like the Cleveland game his rookie year) he goes off.

I feel like we can see someone emerge from the TE spot with the new offense. They won't be Jimmy Graham by any means, but I have faith in them even though I have no reason to.

If we still had pope I'd be right there with you. I'm just a little skeptical now with out him and even more so after reading the comments coughlin made recently where he said, "it's a concern in a lot of ways". He also didn't exactly give the guys on roster a ringing endorsement.
Old 05-21-2014, 07:58 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
If we still had pope I'd be right there with you. I'm just a little skeptical now with out him and even more so after reading the comments coughlin made recently where he said, "it's a concern in a lot of ways". He also didn't exactly give the guys on roster a ringing endorsement.
Yeah. Coughlin is also a dinosaur who loves veterans though.

We just need someone decent enough to get us 400 yards. I'm not asking for much. Just get me 400 yards and 4 touchdowns or something. I think it was a mistake not going after Quarles but what can ya do?

I also think there's a major disconnect with Reese and Coughlin regarding the TE position. Reese has said many times last year as well as now that we need to develop the guys we have, and it almost feels like Reese is leaving Coughlin no other choice and forcing him to do so.
Old 05-21-2014, 08:00 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Nice to see you back for the night BBD!

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 05-21-2014, 08:03 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

See how much I miss you guys?! I should be doing laundry, working out, and other **** but I'm like **** it. I got home late from work and I just don't feel like doing **** today.
Old 05-21-2014, 08:19 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

It's terribly addicting here when you want to be lazy.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 05-21-2014, 08:27 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Yeah man. I keep getting fatter and fatter.

And the discs in my back keep disintegrating so I can't work out.
Old 05-21-2014, 09:12 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
JPP picked up Prince's soft ass and threw him in an ice tub while the team recorded it and laughed at him.

Don't let Jonathan Martin's creamsicle ass make you think the Dolphins were a bunch of bullies. They weren't. He was just soft as ****.

Am I the only one who likes Donnell as a sleeper this year? I don't trust Robinson's health but I really like Donnell and think he can thrive in this new offense.
I like Donnell actually, I am looking forward to seeing how he goes. I think McAdoo's system will be easier for both Donnell and Robinson.

I think Reese and Coughlin are ok with the guys we have, but would ideally upgrade if we could.
Old 05-21-2014, 09:22 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Quote:
It is interesting that Gilbride, Pope and Ingram were seen as part of the problem rather than the solution.

Don't get me wrong, I like Pope, but I also think we needed the changes.

I am ok with Gilbride Jr, he has decent experience and McAdoo's history at coaching TEs will help.

I am curious about Langsdorf to see how he goes with Eli, Freeman and Nassib, same with Johnson with our young RBs

I prefer Ryan coaching WRs rather than QB where he has had proven success. He knows our receivers and provides stability as we change schemes.

I like Flahrety a lot, with player talent and depth I think our oline will be decent and potentially really good.

I am really looking forward to seeing how we go.
Old 05-21-2014, 09:36 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Quote:

We just need someone decent enough to get us 400 yards. I'm not asking for much. Just get me 400 yards and 4 touchdowns or something. I think it was a mistake not going after Quarles but what can ya do?

I also think there's a major disconnect with Reese and Coughlin regarding the TE position. Reese has said many times last year as well as now that we need to develop the guys we have, and it almost feels like Reese is leaving Coughlin no other choice and forcing him to do so.
I would have preferred Andrew Quarless, he has a little more experience and knows the system, but I think the guys we have are at least as good.

Donnell may be inexperienced, but his 10.3 average per catch is on par with Quarless' 9.8 average. Plus Donnell and Robinson are bigger and probably better blockers. I also like Grimble.

I think ideally we are waiting to see if Jermichael Finley is medically cleared, but if not we may go with the guys we have. Finley is a more dynamic receiver and has a 12.5 average. It is worth noting that Finley started 5 games with 25 rec, 300 yds, 3 TD, Quarless started 10 games with 32 rec, 312 yds, 2 TD.

As far as a disconnect between Reese and Coughlin, I think it is more of Coughlin getting a bigger voice at the moment. Coughlin likes a physical style and prefers bigger physical TEs like Mark Bavaro, Howard Cross and Kyle Brady.

Last edited by Big_Pete : 05-21-2014 at 09:51 PM.
Old 05-21-2014, 09:52 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

I still think there is an outside chance we try and trade for a TE like Jermaine Gresham.

We have around $1.4m in cap room after the rookie signings and get another $5m in cap room on June 2 due to us designating Baas as a post June 1 cut.

If we traded for Gresham (who is in the last year of his rookie deal), he would have a cap number of $3,610,750 in cap room (from overthecap.com), meaning we lose around $3.1m in cap room leaving around $3.3m to work with.

Last edited by Big_Pete : 05-21-2014 at 10:03 PM.
Old 05-22-2014, 12:19 AM    (permalink
Mel Pipeher
Rookie

Quote:

I feel like we need a guy at the TE position that can be Eli's safety blanket. I don't care much about the yards. Just a guy that helps us get 1st downs when we need them. I think it was a mistake not drafting Jace Amaro in the 2nd.

I agree. There definitely seems to be a disconnect there but I'm not ruling out Finley. I think we're throwing sh!t on the wall and hoping something sticks.. and if it doesn't we'll sign Finley.
Old 05-22-2014, 01:42 AM    (permalink
BaLLiN
2014 Mock Draft Champion
All-Pro

BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

I read all of the texts between all three players, it was appalling for all parties but is that really how people talk to each other? Give me a break, you can't peg the immaturity on sheerly Martin. It's not a matter of victim/aggressor for me, it is a matter of how someone conducts themselves and Jerry seems like a loser.

Goofing off like JPP did is much more condonable than what was being said or done in Miami. I can understand what was going on there, and I think that it was handled much better after the fact, and it was a more spur of the moment thing. Absolutely different than Miami.

Donnell has been the guy I thought would take over, but for whatever reason he didn't last year with enough opportunity. He was playing really well last camp and Pope took notice, making a push to keep him on the roster. We will see, I feel like he is more of a fluid athlete than Robinson. Nonetheless, I would agree that Finley has to be on our radar. A few of our players have been in contact with him (including Antrel who watched the Super Bowl with him).

Sig by BK <3

Jerry Reese is sooo Dreamy <3333

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper's Rep Comment
I ****** hate you, stupid *** smd
Greatest. Rep. Comment. EVER! You're not 12 or anything.
Philadelphia, the city of brotherly love (:
BaLLiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 12:05 PM    (permalink
NY+Giants=NYG
All-Pro

NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.NY+Giants=NYG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Sometimes I wonder how Reese feels about 2 guys, Eli and TC. A GM puts his stamp on the team by picking the QB and HC. Reese never had to do that. That was handed to him, and he won.

But if you were a scout, then Director of College Scouting, and now GM, and you were drafting players to be used and they are not. I wonder how much that would bother a guy like Reese.

Sometimes I truly believe there is a disconnect between GM and coaching staff. Barden for redzone, Beckum for short yardage and when it gets cold. Myers a WCO TE who now seemed to be signed a year earlier than he should have been.

I don't blame Reese for wanting to see the players drafted on the field. let's see what JJ, and AR can do now.

This new system makes me happy. I am excited for now to see if we can get Eli over 30 Tds 4K yards.
NY+Giants=NYG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 04:58 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I feel like we need a guy at the TE position that can be Eli's safety blanket. I don't care much about the yards. Just a guy that helps us get 1st downs when we need them. I think it was a mistake not drafting Jace Amaro in the 2nd.
I did like the Richburg pick, but I also wanted us to trade up to get Amaro, perhaps with Baltimore who are always willing to deal.
Old 05-22-2014, 05:04 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaLLiN View Post
Donnell has been the guy I thought would take over, but for whatever reason he didn't last year with enough opportunity. He was playing really well last camp and Pope took notice, making a push to keep him on the roster. We will see, I feel like he is more of a fluid athlete than Robinson. Nonetheless, I would agree that Finley has to be on our radar. A few of our players have been in contact with him (including Antrel who watched the Super Bowl with him).
I think Gilbride's option route system didn't help our young guys' development. I think McAdoo's system system will help.

I get the feeling the front office really want to add a vet option at TE if at all possible. Finley is certainly on the radar but I suspect there will be other options as well.

If healthy Finely makes the most sense, he knows and likes some of our players like Antrel, he knows and likes McAdoo and he knows a lot of the things that McAdoo wants to do.
Old 05-22-2014, 09:57 PM    (permalink
BaLLiN
2014 Mock Draft Champion
All-Pro

BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I really do agree, we have said many times that we want more bodies in camp. I don't know the extent of Finley's injury. A lot of us, even Finley himself, are underestimating an injury like this; its serious and he should consider retirement. He's an athlete and I'd welcome him, but like the approach we've had with Wilson...dont expect anything

Sig by BK <3

Quote:
Quote:
Old 05-25-2014, 05:07 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

I think Finley's injury is serious, but we have had other guys with serious neck injuries in Kiwanuka and Wilson. I do think Ronnie Barnes and team are well placed to access and manage that kind of injury/

In Kiwanuka's case, I wonder if his average showing last year could have been a mix of positional switch, limited playing time and getting confidence back after his neck injury.
Old 05-25-2014, 05:31 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

One place that seems to have a ton of competition is the interior line.

At center we have Walton and Richburg as the front runners, Reynolds has done well there in the past (notably for the Eagles)

At guard, Schwartz has one spot leaving one up for grabs. Walton/Richburg have been mentioned in the mix. If Snee is healthy and can regain some of his former form, he is strongly in the mix. Then we have Jerry who has started 45 games for the Dolphins, plus Brewer, Mosely, Goodin who all have flashed ability on the field and then Hermann who we liked enough to draft last year.

Snee has also been mentioned a possible swing man inside, able to play any of the three interior spots.

It is probably worth mentioning that Jerry started every game in 2012 when the Dolphins racked up 1,802 rushing yards and 15 TD. I think a lot of fans are under estimating this signing (probably based on all the drama last year), but this guy can play and I think Coughlin and Flahrety have the right style of coaching he needs.

Look at Jerry's PFF ratings over his career

2013, 1,028 snaps, -2.9 PFF (Pass Block 6.8, Screen Block 0.0, Run Block -10.4, Penalty 0.7)
2012, 1,054 snaps, -2.7 PFF (Pass Block 3.8, Screen Block 0.5, Run Block -8.8, Penalty 1.8)
2011, 363 snaps, -5.0 PFF (Pass Block -2.7, Screen Block 0.0, Run Block -1.3, Penalty -1.0)
2010, 636 snaps, -4.3 PFF (Pass Block 1.4, Screen Block 0.5, Run Block -5.9, Penalty -0.3)

He is solid and very experienced. I wouldn't be surprised if he really surprises a lot of people this year.

Last edited by Big_Pete : 05-25-2014 at 05:49 PM.
Old 05-25-2014, 05:48 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

deleted...
Old 05-25-2014, 10:01 PM    (permalink
BaLLiN
2014 Mock Draft Champion
All-Pro

Its real risky to bring in a guy with major health concerns and diminish the learning experience of other guys in line. Thats a major reason why the payoff is not always pain free.

While I do like Richburg better for a ZBS, I just don't think he's a very strong run blocker (which is alleviated by using position and gang blocking for leverage) but nonetheless Walton has much better strength to sustain blocks.

Sig by BK <3

Quote:
Quote: