Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Giants Team Forum

New York Giants Team Forum Discuss the G-Men

Old 06-13-2014, 10:53 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This means we have to rely on a lot more 3 safety sets to start off the season.

Hope they give call duties to a safety in the mean time. And for the love of God, keep Herzlich on the bench. I rather just roll with another CB on the field than have Herzlich out there.
Old 06-13-2014, 11:16 AM    (permalink
OSUGiants17
All-NFLDC

Location: Richard Sherman: Trolling uptight white people since 2011
OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Can McClain play MIKE? Maybe we start him at MIKE until Beason get's healthy.

OSUGiants17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 11:57 AM    (permalink
Damix
All-Pro

Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
This means we have to rely on a lot more 3 safety sets to start off the season.

Hope they give call duties to a safety in the mean time. And for the love of God, keep Herzlich on the bench. I rather just roll with another CB on the field than have Herzlich out there.
I'm not sure if Herzlich is out with something, but our rookie OLB has been getting the 1st team MLB over him, so I'm assuming they know Mark H is not the answer.
Damix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 12:27 PM    (permalink
BaLLiN
2014 Mock Draft Champion
All-Pro

BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I wouldn't mind McClain at MLB, I think thats probably the best alternative

Sig by BK <3

Jerry Reese is sooo Dreamy <3333

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper's Rep Comment
I ****** hate you, stupid *** smd
Greatest. Rep. Comment. EVER! You're not 12 or anything.
Philadelphia, the city of brotherly love (:
BaLLiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 01:30 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaLLiN View Post
I wouldn't mind McClain at MLB, I think thats probably the best alternative
It's worth a shot. I still rather go 2 LBs and a Cooper at big nickel. More speed on the field.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damix View Post
I'm not sure if Herzlich is out with something, but our rookie OLB has been getting the 1st team MLB over him, so I'm assuming they know Mark H is not the answer.
Herzlich shouldn't even make the team honestly. Beason's injury probably assures he does now, but he really shouldn't.

I rather bring in Vilma's corpse than keep Herzilch on the roster.
Old 06-13-2014, 03:32 PM    (permalink
Mel Pipeher
Rookie

Mel Pipeher could make a wolverine purr.Mel Pipeher could make a wolverine purr.Mel Pipeher could make a wolverine purr.Mel Pipeher could make a wolverine purr.Mel Pipeher could make a wolverine purr.Mel Pipeher could make a wolverine purr.Mel Pipeher could make a wolverine purr.Mel Pipeher could make a wolverine purr.Mel Pipeher could make a wolverine purr.

I wouldn't mind adding Vilma but I doubt we do. I think we'll definitely be trying to find a temp fix in house.

Brandon Flowers was released today. Too bad Prince couldn't play S.
Mel Pipeher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 03:53 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Flowers can play Safety though. I'd put him at SS and let him be great.

I think Flowers would be a beast at SS. But I doubt whoever signs him would put him there.
Old 06-13-2014, 07:54 PM    (permalink
BaLLiN
2014 Mock Draft Champion
All-Pro

BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I definitely agree with Flowers being capable to play safety. He was a boundary corner at VT, good in run support. I haven't watched him as much as I'd like in the pros but I'd imagine his game is still similar.

Sig by BK <3

Quote:
Quote:
Old 06-14-2014, 03:36 AM    (permalink
Mel Pipeher
Rookie

Mel Pipeher could make a wolverine purr.Mel Pipeher could make a wolverine purr.Mel Pipeher could make a wolverine purr.Mel Pipeher could make a wolverine purr.Mel Pipeher could make a wolverine purr.Mel Pipeher could make a wolverine purr.Mel Pipeher could make a wolverine purr.Mel Pipeher could make a wolverine purr.Mel Pipeher could make a wolverine purr.

I read an article where the gm of the chiefs laughed at the idea of Flowers playing safety.
Old 06-14-2014, 01:07 PM    (permalink
cgf (Rosebud)
Veteran

cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cgf (Rosebud) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel Pipeher View Post
I read an article where the gm of the chiefs laughed at the idea of Flowers playing safety.
I once read an article where I laughed hysterical at the idea of the gm of the chiefs giving up a second rounder for Alex smith.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
We've already seen that your love is only capable of destroying.
cgf (Rosebud) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 05:50 PM    (permalink
Mel Pipeher
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgf (Rosebud) View Post
I once read an article where I laughed hysterical at the idea of the gm of the chiefs giving up a second rounder for Alex smith.
My bad it was Andy Reid who laughed at it.

heres the article

And I think a 2nd round pick for a starting QB who produced like Smith did was a steal.

Last edited by Mel Pipeher : 06-14-2014 at 05:56 PM.
Old 06-15-2014, 06:13 AM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I wouldn't mind us looking at Brandon Flowers, although it may be a long shot.

With Will Hill's departure we have room in the secondary and I think either Flowers (or Amukamara) could play FS

We have already signed a couple of former chiefs with Schwartz and Demps.

Overthecap.com has our estimated current salary cap room at $6,894,422
Big_Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 06:20 AM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I wouldn't be surprised if Beason starts on PuP

The most likely situation seems to be having McClain at MLB with Kennard behind him and Paysinger and Williams at OLBs

As far as free agent options go, one guy who is interesting is Pat Angerer. I wonder if we could bring in Dan Connor who has some experience here.
Old 06-15-2014, 06:31 AM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I definitely agree with Flowers being capable to play safety. He was a boundary corner at VT, good in run support. I haven't watched him as much as I'd like in the pros but I'd imagine his game is still similar.
If we signed Flowers (which may be a long shot), I would prefer to move Prince to FS with Rodgers-Cromartie and Flowers at CB and Thurmond as the nickle back.

Brandon Flowers has been an excellent zone cornerback (he did struggle in KC's man system last year). He is a great fit for Perry Fewell's schemes, I think he could rebound big time.

Rodgers-Cromartie has a cap number of $2,750,000 in 2014, I would imagine Flowers would cost a deal in the similar ballpark.

Last edited by Big_Pete : 06-15-2014 at 06:56 AM.
Old 06-15-2014, 11:04 PM    (permalink
BaLLiN
2014 Mock Draft Champion
All-Pro

You don't take a player that is excelling greatly at a position and has good man-to-man skills and switch them like that.

Sig by BK <3

Quote:
Quote:
Old 06-15-2014, 11:45 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Quote:
You don't take a player that is excelling greatly at a position and has good man-to-man skills and switch them like that.
I am not sure that Prince is "excelling greatly", I think he has benefited from good deep coverage by Rolle and Hill.

The Giants took time to consider whether they would pick up the 2015 option.

I see our biggest need going forward to be at safety with Hill gone, a decent chance Rolle isn't back (or if in a reduced role if he does) and the jury still out on Brown (who is also off contract)

I think Prince is a decent corner, but I also think he has the size, physicality and tackling to also play safety. I don't see it as a big deal, lots of other players have successfully made the transition from CB to S (including Rolle).

Anyways it is very likely just a pipe dream, but I do like the idea of upgrading our secondary by adding Flowers
Old 06-16-2014, 08:24 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

There's almost a 0% chance that anyone who signs Flowers plays him at SS. He still has plenty of value at CB so it wouldn't be ideal for teams to play him at SS unless they're already set at CB. And in that case, you're paying him CB money but putting him at SS, which doesn't make much sense financially. I'm sure that's why Reid scoffed at the idea of it.

Having that said, I'm confident that he's capable of playing that role and he would be successful in it. He has the tools to be a great SS. But he'll play CB well into his 30s until he can't anymore.

I wouldn't want Flowers at FS bc his biggest weakness is his long speed, he doesn't have much range. So he's not an ideal FS. You want your FS to have range.

Anyway, that's a bit of a stretch to even discuss. More importantly, the idea that Flowers fits our scheme brings up 1 of 2 points:

1. I'm curious to see if we run more man coverage this year. Prince is a man CB, Thurmond is a man CB, and we signed DRC, who thrives in bump and run. Now common sense tells you we should play man the majority of the time, but this is Perry Fewell we're talking about. We have the CBs to play quality bump and run in the secondary.

2. Fewell has always been a Cover 2 DC, and if we run his scheme to a T, our secondary doesn't fit the scheme at all. I've always found it interesting and incredibly frustrating that we constantly draft/sign bump and run press man CBs and throw them in zone defense. It never made any sense to me, and speaks to the disconnect btw the front office and coaching staff. It's been a problem for the past 10 years honestly, and it's frustrating to watch.

All we can do is hope that Fewell adjusts (ha!).
Old 06-16-2014, 08:26 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

As for Prince, his ceiling is that of a very solid #2 CB. That's it. He'll never be a shut down CB, or a guy you can trust as a #1 CB. He's not good enough.

Having a solid #2 is nothing to sneeze at though, so it wasn't a bad draft pick. It was a solid pick. But he doesn't have the tools to be a great CB. He's stiff in the hips, has short arms, and lacks the speed to be a #1 CB.

But if we keep him as a lockdown #2 guy, I think he has great value as long as we realize what he is and keep him in that role. And pay him accordingly. Bc if he wants #1 CB money he can go the **** away with that.
Old 06-16-2014, 09:45 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Leave Prince at CB. He's a good #2 and that's all we need him to be with DRC now in the fold.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 09:49 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Prince doesn't have the speed or hips to play safety anyway. He's strictly a boundary CB who's ceiling is that of a #2 CB.

You can't move him around, he would get killed as a nickel CB.
Old 06-16-2014, 11:33 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

We should seriously give Terrell Thomas a call and try him out at safety this year.

We cut Will Hill, we could use another camp body. Why not? He was solid last year. He's lost some speed and his health is obviously a concern but it can't hurt to try.

He's another year removed from his ACL, played every game last year, is familiar with our system, good locker room guy, we have 5 mill in cap money, it can't hurt to give him a try and see if he can be our big nickel safety.
Old 06-16-2014, 12:59 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Seems like people are still worried about his knee.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 01:03 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

As they should be. But at this point, it can't hurt to sign him to a vet minimum and try him out. Worst case scenario you cut him during the preseason.

We have 5 mill in cap, we have plenty of space to sign him as a camp body and still have enough left over to get a vet TE if necessary.
Old 06-16-2014, 03:21 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

I think our CB depth is fine. (Although always worth upgrading)

I suspect we have made a move to get healthier, but woukd have thought Thomas is worth a min contract.

We have also signed Bromley and LB Terrell Manning
Old 06-17-2014, 08:54 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

I know many of you want to be optomistic about Bromley but I think he sucks. Sorry. I'll be shocked if he pans out.

I felt the same way when I saw Austin's tape. Just didn't get a good feeling about his ability, and I feel like Bromley is even worse. I don't see it at all. There's absolutely nothing about him that is remotely interesting to me.

I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see it.

We got 3 players out of this draft. I think ODB will be solid (not special, but soild), we got a reliable Center who will be a solid but not spectacular starter for the next 10 years, and we got a solid RB in round 4. Everyone else is meh.

So in a draft that we really needed to hit a grand slam, we got a solid C+ draft class. 3 solid to ok players is not good enough.

I'm slowly losing faith in this front office.