Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Giants Team Forum

New York Giants Team Forum Discuss the G-Men

Old 08-19-2014, 07:48 PM    (permalink
Damix
All-Pro

Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The offense reminds me Spags first year, a first time coordinator installing a new system? Our D was terrible the first two weeks of the season before it finally started clicking.

I'll give McAdoo the same timeframe.
Damix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 08:29 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Forget the schemes right now, the biggest problem is Eli is seeing phantom pressure and is throwing inaccurately bc of it. Until that gets fixed, nothing else matters.

Eli is shell shocked right now and with the way the OL is playing I don't know if he'll get out of it. It's scaring the **** out of me right now. I'm seeing my favorite Giant of all time (besides LT and Strahan) look like a shell of his former self and I'm not ready to accept that reality just yet.
Old 08-20-2014, 08:42 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I agree with a lot of what that article said, especially about moving Schwartz to RG.

The only reason I can come up with for why the Giants are keeping him at LG is because they want stability next to Beatty to get the best out of Beatty this year. That's literally the only reason I can think of.

If Schwartz continues to play like crap though I think you have no choice but to move him to RG. Our only hope of salvaging our interior OL at this point is if Walton can stay heatlhy and if Richburg can fill in 1 of the G spots. If that doesn't happen we're royally screwed.

I've come to the realization that Gs and Cs are more important than OTs in this league. You can mask OTs with TEs, chips from backs etc, you can give them more help. You can use 3 step drops etc to slow down edge pressure. You can leave extra guys in to help OTs to neutralize edge pressure.

But your interior OL is usually left on an island, and even in 3 step drops interior pressure is the key to neutralize those passing attacks. If your interior sucks, your qb is doomed. Plus you give the qb no place to step up in the pocket when your interior sucks. Your interior OL is where the investment should be made.

Look at the Saints, they do all 5 and 7 step drops with crap at OT. But they invest heavily in their interior OL, so Brees can climb the pocket and negate that edge pressure.

Defenses have attacked Gs and Cs in 1 on 1 situations on 3rd down with Nascar packages that pit a G vs a DE with space (when they stretch the DL out to create spacing btw OLmen) and it's working in creating mismatches that the OL can't compete with.

So Gs are on an island almost as often as OTs are nowadays. You need a good set of Gs to compete.
Old 08-20-2014, 08:46 AM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So if Guards are more important than OTs, are DTs more important than DEs?

Just thinking out loud. What you are saying makes sense. Defenders that guards and centers are blocking have a shorter distance to the QB.
Jughead10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 08:57 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

I would say yes and no. Yes for pass rushing DTs like a Geno Atkins and no for practically the other 95% of the DTs in the league.

So the short answer is no, because finding that quality DT is so rare, you're better off just getting a DE who can slide into DT on 3rd down and create interior pressure that way.

That's what most teams do now. On 3rd and long, unless you have a great pair of DTs, you rarely see 2 DTs on the field anymore in those situations.

And because of that, Gs are playing a quicker DE in space on 3rd and long. They're basically OTs in those situations. Line up your Ends in wide 9, and stretch the OL out so your DE lined up in the 3 can use space and his speed to beat a slower, shorter armed G around the edge and get to the qb. Or use stunts to create space, or blitzes etc.

The obvious counter to this is to restablish an emphasis in the run game so defenses can't go light along the DL as often as they do nowadays, but few teams have really done this outside of the 49ers and a few other teams.
Old 08-20-2014, 11:02 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Everyone is raving about this Kennard kid. Did we finally get a mid round LB pick right?

And will Dinosaur play him instead of McClain at SAM?
Old 08-20-2014, 12:10 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Ok so apparently Eli is looking like absolute **** in practice today, throwing INTs to the scout defense and to Bromley at the goalline.

Now I'm in full panic mode. Is Eli washed already? This isn't good guys. We can sugarcoat it all we want, but this isn't good.
Old 08-20-2014, 12:34 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Eli's been like this all camp not just today. As for washed up you thought the same thing 3 years ago then we won the Super Bowl. I'm not opitimistic about the team but I'm in a holding pattern until 3 or 4 weeks of regular season.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 12:34 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
Everyone is raving about this Kennard kid. Did we finally get a mid round LB pick right?

And will Dinosaur play him instead of McClain at SAM?
Possibly but as we all know players look fine in camp and then when the lights go on they dissapear.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 08-20-2014, 12:58 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

I'm in full panic mode. And I'm gonna miss Friday's game too. I'm gonna miss every preseason game this year.

I'm washed up fellas. I'm washed the **** up.
Old 08-20-2014, 01:03 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

#FreeNassib
Old 08-20-2014, 01:05 PM    (permalink
MidwestJimmy
Veteran

MidwestJimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwestJimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwestJimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwestJimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwestJimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwestJimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwestJimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwestJimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwestJimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwestJimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwestJimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm not a Giants fan, but here's an idea. Considering how bad their tight end situation is, why don't they just use 20 personnel (3WR/FB) like they often did under Kevin Gilbride, and go to 4-WR on passing downs -- or 4-WR most of the time? Those TEs should only be coming off the bench for short yardage blocking and to give starters a rest.
MidwestJimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 01:10 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

It's a good question. I think because our OL is pretty terrible we want to have TEs in for chips and to block. That would be my guess. Plus it's hard to run effectively strongside with no TE on the field, which would allow defenses to stack the weakside and shut the run game down with ease unless you have a killer OL which we don't have.

My question is, why the **** didn't we go after Quarless in FA? That was a no brainer to me. He didn't even get paid much. Now we're left scrambling. I was a believer in this TE group and I was hoping someone would emerge, but the front office still should've had a better backup plan than "oh ****, we're screwed now"
Old 08-20-2014, 01:27 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Quote:
I'm in full panic mode. And I'm gonna miss Friday's game too. I'm gonna miss every preseason game this year.

I'm washed up fellas. I'm washed the **** up.
Ehh it happens. I haven't watched a full preseason game yet either. Once the regular season starts you'll be fine I bet.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 08-20-2014, 01:37 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

And Rueben Randle seriously needs to stop worrying about banging Reese's daughter and start producing on the field, bc he hasn't done **** yet.
Old 08-20-2014, 01:42 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Bless Andre Williams. The Snoopy Bowl is about to be fun. Good luck to both teams and hope no one gets hurt!
Old 08-20-2014, 01:45 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Yes, pls no one get hurt. I like Rex and I love his defense, I just hope he doesn't get too carried away with this game and we both come out injury free. Rex has a tendency to take this game way too seriously, I hope he pumps the brakes on that this year.
Old 08-20-2014, 01:54 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Quote:
Yes, pls no one get hurt. I like Rex and I love his defense, I just hope he doesn't get too carried away with this game and we both come out injury free. Rex has a tendency to take this game way too seriously, I hope he pumps the brakes on that this year.
Aint that the truth!!

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 08-20-2014, 02:11 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The fact that Jets fans actually call this the Snoopy Bowl means that Rex is somewhat rubbing off on them. Rex loves him some of that trophy. It's the only trophy he can get his hands on.

Rex got Sanchez hurt last year trying to win this game.

Last edited by Jughead10 : 08-20-2014 at 02:13 PM.
Old 08-20-2014, 05:17 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Forget the schemes right now, the biggest problem is Eli is seeing phantom pressure and is throwing inaccurately bc of it. Until that gets fixed, nothing else matters.

Eli is shell shocked right now and with the way the OL is playing I don't know if he'll get out of it. It's scaring the **** out of me right now. I'm seeing my favorite Giant of all time (besides LT and Strahan) look like a shell of his former self and I'm not ready to accept that reality just yet.
I am not sure what is happening with Eli and the offense.

I think part of it is the new offense and the limited contact reps in camp.

The oline is still shaking itself down

I also think we have used a very vanilla offense so far and the complexity adds another dimension.

I am hopeful things will improve but it might be ugly along the way.

Either way we will know this season whether Eli is the guy or not.

He certainly can get the job done. Let's not forget Kerry Collins was successful in a similar style of west coast offense.
Big_Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 05:19 PM    (permalink
Big_Pete
Pro Bowler

Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Big_Pete is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestJimmy View Post
I'm not a Giants fan, but here's an idea. Considering how bad their tight end situation is, why don't they just use 20 personnel (3WR/FB) like they often did under Kevin Gilbride, and go to 4-WR on passing downs -- or 4-WR most of the time? Those TEs should only be coming off the bench for short yardage blocking and to give starters a rest.
I do think we will see a lot of three WR sets
Big_Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 08:41 PM    (permalink
BaLLiN
2014 Mock Draft Champion
All-Pro

BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

BBD I know there are a lot of red flags, and they are all well founded, but CALM DOWN! Its preseason. Let's start our worrying if we have these issues when it matters.

Sig by BK <3

Jerry Reese is sooo Dreamy <3333

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper's Rep Comment
I ****** hate you, stupid *** smd
Greatest. Rep. Comment. EVER! You're not 12 or anything.
Philadelphia, the city of brotherly love (:
BaLLiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 12:28 PM    (permalink
OSUGiants17
All-NFLDC

Location: Richard Sherman: Trolling uptight white people since 2011
OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

All aboard the Corey Washington hype train! Choo choo mother *******!

OSUGiants17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 03:02 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUGiants17 View Post
All aboard the Corey Washington hype train! Choo choo mother *******!
Yup. I've seen enough of Nassib this preseason to make me feel comfortable only going with Eli and him on the roster. Corey can take that extra spot.
Old 08-23-2014, 03:32 PM    (permalink
OSUGiants17
All-NFLDC

Location: Richard Sherman: Trolling uptight white people since 2011
OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Nassib seems to have improved quite a bit since last season

OSUGiants17 is offline   Reply With Quote