Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Giants Team Forum

New York Giants Team Forum Discuss the G-Men

Old 09-19-2011, 11:30 AM    (permalink
BigBlueNorwegian
Veteran

BigBlueNorwegian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBlueNorwegian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBlueNorwegian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBlueNorwegian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBlueNorwegian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBlueNorwegian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBlueNorwegian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBlueNorwegian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBlueNorwegian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBlueNorwegian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBlueNorwegian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
How's everyone feeling about the game tonight?
Here's my predictions for the next two weeks:

I'm thinking a sloppy 7 point win tonight, where we can still point out multiple flaws in the playcalling, coverages, and individual player performances. But the players get overconfident after this victory and goes into Philly against a Vick-less Eagles looking for an easy win. They go on to lose by ten points to a Mike Kafka-led Eagles.
BigBlueNorwegian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 11:33 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlueNorwegian View Post

I'm thinking a sloppy 7 point win tonight, where we can still point out multiple flaws in the playcalling, coverages, and individual player performances. But the players get overconfident after this victory and goes into Philly against a Vick-less Eagles looking for an easy win. They go on to lose by ten points to a Mike Kafka-led Eagles.
That does sound very Giants like.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 11:39 AM    (permalink
BigBlueNorwegian
Veteran

BigBlueNorwegian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBlueNorwegian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBlueNorwegian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBlueNorwegian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBlueNorwegian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBlueNorwegian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBlueNorwegian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBlueNorwegian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBlueNorwegian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBlueNorwegian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBlueNorwegian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
That does sound very Giants like.
Yes. Sad, but true.
Old 09-19-2011, 12:27 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

if we win and get over confident about beating the Rams, and aren't ready mentally for the Eagles, Vick or not, I'm going to go insane
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 12:49 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I didn't realize this until now but it's the first Giants home MNF game during the Coughlin era. We've been on the road for all the others.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 09-19-2011, 12:53 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I didn't realize this until now but it's the first Giants home MNF game during the Coughlin era. We've been on the road for all the others.
Well stadium construction was going on for a good portion of that. And we couldn't play on MNF during that time because of the off site parking situation. Wasn't the Hurricane Katrina game on a Monday night?
Old 09-19-2011, 01:08 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughead10 View Post
Well stadium construction was going on for a good portion of that. And we couldn't play on MNF during that time because of the off site parking situation. Wasn't the Hurricane Katrina game on a Monday night?
Yeah but it's still been 7 years. Yes that game was a Monday night but don't forget that was a N.O. "home" game.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 09-19-2011, 01:59 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Let's take care of business first. I have no confidence at all in the passing game right now, so let's see what happens.

I think we win ugly tonight, leaving me just as unconfident as I was after the Redskins game.
Old 09-19-2011, 02:10 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Spags is going to throw some good stuff at Eli but in the end our talent is better than the Rams. I don't care if we win ugly.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 09-19-2011, 02:17 PM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I just want to see the OL get better, the passing game show some signs of life beyond Eli-to-Nicks and the defense to attack Bradford since their WR corps might be as injured as our secondary.

BK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcheTen View Post
JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.
Rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 03:55 PM    (permalink
OSUGiants17
All-NFLDC

Location: Richard Sherman: Trolling uptight white people since 2011
OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlueNorwegian View Post

I hate you for telling me the truth :(

OSUGiants17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 05:17 PM    (permalink
BigBlueNorwegian
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSUGiants17 View Post
I hate you for telling me the truth :(
LOL, sorry! Just better to be prepared for it, and not get our hopes up. The last two years I've gotten my hopes up multiple times regarding the Giants. It ended in disaster every time. But I guess it has to turn around sooner or later, right?

BTW, I hate night games. They start at 0230 local time for me, and usually I get around 2-3 hours of sleep when the Giants play SNF or MNF. So they better not lose this game!
Old 09-19-2011, 11:53 PM    (permalink
OSUGiants17
All-NFLDC

Location: Richard Sherman: Trolling uptight white people since 2011
OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OSUGiants17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Great ****** game tonight fellas, the stadium was electric and behind the team the whole time! A few shaky spots and the secondary needs work, but Nicks, Hixon and Mannigham all had beautiful grabs! Got some new guy sitting in my section at the stadium who gave out free waters whenever, 1 free hat every Giants first down, and candy every TD lol gonna be nice to have him sit behind me all year. Great ****** bday present from the giants, tonights game was great!

OSUGiants17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 07:23 AM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Cautiously optimistic after this game. We still need a lot of help. Offense improved as the game went on, especially in the two minute drill at the end of the first half. Why don't we let Eli just do everything? Someone please kill Gilbride.

Scary that we need Prince back and are counting on him for a lot as a rookie.

Tynes sucks. He still can't put a ball in the end zone.

And let's hope Manningham is more of a neck thing than the concussion first reported. Best ball Eli threw all night and he got hurt bobbling it.
Old 09-20-2011, 09:15 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ugly win. The only positives I can take from it were:

1. Passing game seemed to improve over the course of the game. It seems like when we give Eli more freedom to tinker with the offense it just flows sooooo much better. Plus hopefully some of the chemistry between Eli and Cruz towards the end of the game carries over.

2. Run blocking got better over the course of the game. Run blocking always starts out bad in the beginning of the season. It takes a good 6 games for it to gel. Give this time, it will get better.

3. Pass rush was good. It really got a lot better later in the game as our depth seemed to overmatch their tired oline in the 2nd half.

Things I didn't like:

1. Pass game. It still sucks. And Eli has been inaccurate this season. Let's call it like we see it. He's missed some throws. Drops kill us too. Same old story with that. Plus miscommunications. Again, same old story.

2. Coverage is mediocre. Webster seems to have dropped off a little. Ross is what he is at this point. He's not a very good player. Not terrible, but not very good either. We really need Prince back. Grant can't play coverage. They were picking on the Ross/Grant side of the field all game. Even with help up top with Grant, we couldn't seal the top of the offense bc Ross would get beat and Grant would be late to the ball. Rolle is not a very good nickel against smaller WRs, which kind of defeats the purpose since those types seem to be most slot WRs nowadays.

Our man coverage is sooo much better than our zone. If you go back and watch the game again, we were significantly better when we played man and blitzed opposed to his zone coverages. Get with the program Fewell.

And our linebackers can't cover. Williams came in and saw some quality snaps for his speed. Boley is good but when we are in our base 43 with Kiwi and Jones out there, we had no intermediate coverage from our linebackers. None. That's why they went no huddle, to keep us in our base 43 and expose our linebackers in coverage. Fewell needs to ditch the Kiwi experiment and just have him rotate in as a pass rusher. We need coverage linebackers on the field at all times.

We seem to be a streaky team on both sides of the ball. When we're feeling it on offense, we're like a machine. When we're not, we can't do a damn thing. On defense, when we're feeling it, the pass rush seems to be getting there every play and we're playing fast and aggressive. When we're not, we seem to be sitting ducks.

We live and die with our pass rush really. If our front 4 isn't dominating, our defense is very mediocre. Our back 7 needs more speed. Especially the LB core.
Old 09-20-2011, 09:15 AM    (permalink
BigBlueNorwegian
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughead10 View Post
Cautiously optimistic after this game. We still need a lot of help. Offense improved as the game went on, especially in the two minute drill at the end of the first half. Why don't we let Eli just do everything? Someone please kill Gilbride.

Scary that we need Prince back and are counting on him for a lot as a rookie.

Tynes sucks. He still can't put a ball in the end zone.

And let's hope Manningham is more of a neck thing than the concussion first reported. Best ball Eli threw all night and he got hurt bobbling it.

I'm not sure guys, that was an ugly, ugly win. I'll take it, of course, but we still do not look like a good team at all. Our best hope is that we can grind out five or six wins the first eight weeks of our season, and progress a lot over the course of those games.

Eli at least did play much better after a horrible start to the game. But the defense still plays that off coverage zone, it kills me to see them give away 15-25 yd completions without even trying to cover the intermediate parts of the field. Same thing happened against the Redskins.

In regards to the Manningham injury,he says it was a neck injury, but the Giants says he suffered a concussion because he failed the baseline concussion test. But everyone that knows Manningham knows he would probably fail to realize what day it is, what the score is and how many fingers the trainer is holding up even when fully healthy, lol!

Hopefully both Hixon and Manningham are ready to go against the "dream team" next Sunday.
Old 09-20-2011, 09:21 AM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I guess seeing Eli go 16 for his last 18 attempts only made me happy.

BK

Quote:
Quote:
Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
Quote:
Old 09-20-2011, 10:14 AM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosebud View Post
I guess seeing Eli go 16 for his last 18 attempts only made me happy.
I'm with you. People were giving Eli **** for early in the game and even last week but he hasn't looked bad at all. I mean, come on. At one point our only healthy WR's were Nicks, Thomas, Stokley and Cruz. And Ballard. and Pascoe. like, ew. If Eli throws for 3000 yards, 25 TDs and 20 INTs I'll consider it a huge success for him. He just has no weapons...well at least none he's got chemistry with really

and we really, really need a freaking TE. like, badly
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 11:22 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

I'm very happy with the win all things considered. We need to fix the secondary issues more so than anything because that's what's killing us. It seems to be a lot of communication issues as to who should cover what zone on certain plays. I don't know why Fewell is so stubborn and has to go 50/50 man/zone.

I think the offense will be fine. Eli mad the one bad decision on the INT because he didn't pick up the S pre-snap. He did well with the crappy WR corps we now have and will continue to adjust with them. Hopefully Manningham and Hixon aren't hurt to bad because we can't afford to lose either of them.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 09-20-2011, 11:51 AM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Yeah, the secondary needs to tighten up but they gave me cause for excitement with the way the stepped up in the redzone and made plays like that Fumble return happen. The coverage will tighten up if we can avoid any further injuries as guys get comfortable in their new roles, plus as the pass rush improves with Tuck coming back, Osi eventually coming back, JPP continuing to progress and Kiwi, the secondary's job will get easier and easier.

BK

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 09-20-2011, 11:56 AM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Having Osi back will help, even if he is limited to only a quarter of the plays these next few games. Even though Tuck had 1.5 sacks last night he isn't the pure pass rusher Osi is. Different players. JPP is shaping up to be a beast but I noticed last night the no huddle really affected him. Not his conditioning or stamina, but just being lined up in time. He was constantly looking for someone to tell him where to be.
Old 09-20-2011, 12:29 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Zone defense requires a lot of chemistry and unspoken communication. You have to know what your teammates around you are thinking. That comes with practice and hopefully some lengthy conversations on the sidelines. Getting to know your teammates and how they cover is so key with zone. That's why injuries to the secondary hurts us more when we run zone bc the chemistry and communication just isn't there.

Don't forget, we weren't horrible in zone last year. Bc we stayed healthy and we had chemistry back there. This year, with a shortened camp, injuries, and just a lack of talent due to those injuries, our zone coverage has suffered quite a bit.

Even at full strength though, we're a better man coverage team. You gotta remember, these guys are athletes. They're not the brightest bulbs out there. Simplifying the coverages makes them play faster, and playing fast is what defense is all about.

Man coverage is simple. Cover that guy. Chase him around. It's easy for an athlete to figure out. That's why I prefer man coverage. Let an athlete be an athlete and take the thinking out of it for him. You can add complexity to trick offenses through your blitz packages. That's how Rex designs his defenses. That's why he's such a good coordinator. Simple for the players, complicated for the offense. That's the key.

You also need smarter players to run zone. Any ****** can run man coverage. Go chase that guy. Not complicated.

Last edited by bigbluedefense : 09-20-2011 at 12:33 PM.
bigbluedefense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 12:32 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Having Osi back definitely helps our pass rush.

I've been a little disappointed in Kiwi's pass rush thus far. He's not beating his man enough. Several times he was matched up against a TE or a Back on a blitz pickup and he lost those battles.

He's a DE. He's supposed to win that battle every time. If Fewell cooks up a blitz package where a HB is blocking Kiwi, Kiwi needs to win that battle and get to the QB.

But he hasn't done it consistently yet.
Old 09-20-2011, 12:35 PM    (permalink
Wootylicous
All-NFLDC

Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Michael Boley throwing the football at this one guy had me laughing for a while what was that ?

#MoncriefArmy
Wootylicous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 12:36 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

I laughed too. It's all over youtube, I had a feeling someone would post it haha.

I'm sure someone made a gif out of it too.