Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 02-15-2011, 09:51 AM    (permalink
SimonRath
Pro Bowler

SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Thoughts on joining the military?

I've been contemplating it for some time now, I was jus wondering if any of you guys were in the military and how you liked it?

Sig by BK

“They have one guy, he’s pretty short. But he can go out and play. He can be a little aggravating too.’’ -- Joe Flacco talking about Brent Grimes.
SimonRath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 10:06 AM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

there are a couple of guys that were previously in/still are in the military that will be helpful to talk to.

I will be joining this year. I talked to a recruiter just a few days ago and once I lose 40lbs I can be in. That's not a difficult task and one that I started tackling immediately upon talking to him.

I guess some initial information would be: How in shape are you? Do you have a college degree? Why are you wanting to join? Etc...

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:
www.saturdaynightslant.com

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/LaSportsDude
diabsoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 10:07 AM    (permalink
SimonRath
Pro Bowler

SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SimonRath is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabsoule View Post
there are a couple of guys that were previously in/still are in the military that will be helpful to talk to.

I will be joining this year. I talked to a recruiter just a few days ago and once I lose 40lbs I can be in. That's not a difficult task and one that I started tackling immediately upon talking to him.

I guess some initial information would be: How in shape are you? Do you have a college degree? Why are you wanting to join? Etc...
im 5'10" 175lbs and in pretty good shape. not amazing, but good enough.
no college degree.
and i wanna join cause i think its a good career opportunity

Sig by BK

“They have one guy, he’s pretty short. But he can go out and play. He can be a little aggravating too.’’ -- Joe Flacco talking about Brent Grimes.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:14 AM    (permalink
Don Vito
Team Leader
All-Pro

Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Don Vito is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It isn't as bad of an option as a lot of people make it out to be. There aren't too many jobs out there and although it isn't a huge moneymaker, you have a decent steady income with few expenses if you use your money wisely. A lot of people today are joining after college and military experience looks very good to employers, it is actually something I am considering when I graduate from Ole Miss in December.

Feed Moncrief
Don Vito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 10:16 AM    (permalink
SimonRath
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Vito View Post
It isn't as bad of an option as a lot of people make it out to be. There aren't too many jobs out there and although it isn't a huge moneymaker, you have a decent steady income with few expenses if you use your money wisely. A lot of people today are joining after college and military experience looks very good to employers, it is actually something I am considering when I graduate from Ole Miss in December.
the fact it is a steady income is very nice to me, I work full time at Whole Foods and like 90% of my money goes towards bills so it's been very stressful.

Sig by BK

Old 02-15-2011, 10:21 AM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonRath View Post
im 5'10" 175lbs and in pretty good shape. not amazing, but good enough.
no college degree.
and i wanna join cause i think its a good career opportunity
It's a great career opportunity and it's something I encourage people to try. Joining has been a goal of mine for a few years now and this year I will make it a reality. There is just too much opportunity to pass up and once you finish your enlistment you'll have marketable job skills and being in the service looks amazing on a resume.

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter
Old 02-15-2011, 10:31 AM    (permalink
Halsey
Pro Bowler

Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I did 6 years in the Navy, working in the submarine force. I'm very glad I did it. There were a lot of crappy days, but there were also good days and many interesting experiences. The pay is pretty good in the sub force, as far as military jobs go. I used the MGI Bill to help me pay for school after I got out. Really glad I did it.

If you're going to join the military, I highly recommend using the educational options available. Invest into the GI Bill and take classes while in the military, if you ever have time.
Old 02-15-2011, 10:40 AM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

As much as you'll question it going through when you look back it will be one of the better experiences you'll ever have.
Babylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 11:36 AM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

SuperKevin needs to return from the abyss and contribute to this. He was pretty darn knowledgeable considering he's still enlisted.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 11:54 AM    (permalink
Vikes99ej
Icon

Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm not 100% positive, but I think Ironman and senormysterio have military experience. CJ, too.
Vikes99ej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 11:55 AM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Definitely take advantage of the education opportunities they make available. ROTC has done great things for some friends of mine. One in particular who got an undergrad from Notre Dame and then a post grad law degree. Spend some time on the beaches of Iraq for her trouble, but that's the life you're signing up for.

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs
FlyingElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 02:57 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes99ej View Post
I'm not 100% positive, but I think Ironman and senormysterio have military experience. CJ, too.
4 years in the Army, two in Nam. Dont know if that's experience or just stupidity.
Old 02-15-2011, 03:15 PM    (permalink
CJSchneider
Team Leader
Icon

CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You will never get a better chance to better your education at a better price than joining the military. Because of the Montgomery/G.I. Bill, I was able to not have to work and focus on studies my first 3 years of school. If enlistment is your goal, go in with a purpose. Seek to enlist in an MOS (military word for "job") that you will not only enjoy but that will aid you in the real world after your service is over, even if that happens to be acquiring leadership skills.
If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

2 C 5:6-8 Jakob Murphy aka themaninblack
CJSchneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 03:23 PM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I've been in the Navy eight years and am still active.
I got selected for a commissioning program now so I get paid to go to school full time.
I use the GI Bill to pay for tuition and get a paycheck every two weeks. Pretty good deal.

I qualified to work on subs but did my tours on carriers though.
My suggestion would be, make sure you get a job you'd like doing.
Start running 3 miles a couple times a week.
Also, definitely use that GI Bill if you can.
Not much time to use it while you're active duty so probably afterwards.

Nalej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 03:55 PM    (permalink
RaiderNation
All-NFLDC

RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ive always told myself that if I have nothing going for me by age 24 or 25 you might as well join the military.

Welcome to the Silver & Mack
"Just Win Baby"
- Al Davis
@SirStackAlot707

RaiderNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 06:02 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

My likely MOS will be in intelligence or something dealing with computers since the recruiters all told me that I can handpick my "job" due to how high I scored on the ASVAB and that I already have a college degree.

I'm very excited about joining. Last time I went into the recruiters office they told me I need to drop 8.5" from my waist. I have lost 1.5" in about 3 weeks and will drop more once I get on the weight loss supplement that I'll be getting next week. I'm looking to join in 3-5 months.

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter
Old 02-15-2011, 06:12 PM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabsoule View Post
My likely MOS will be in intelligence or something dealing with computers since the recruiters all told me that I can handpick my "job" due to how high I scored on the ASVAB and that I already have a college degree.

I'm very excited about joining. Last time I went into the recruiters office they told me I need to drop 8.5" from my waist. I have lost 1.5" in about 3 weeks and will drop more once I get on the weight loss supplement that I'll be getting next week. I'm looking to join in 3-5 months.
Are you going commissioned?
The pay is waaaayyyyyy better

Old 02-15-2011, 06:21 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalej View Post
Are you going commissioned?
The pay is waaaayyyyyy better
That's the plan. I plan on making it a career

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter
Old 02-15-2011, 06:26 PM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Just making sure, I know a lot of enlisted fellas that had degrees.
The recruiters were just busy about their quota and never told them they could be commissioned.
It's actually pretty sad. I have a couple of friends (Navy, like I) that are in the Intelligence field.
Alot of picture scanning, briefs, briefs and briefs lol

Old 02-15-2011, 06:43 PM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

What's your "field"...?

Old 02-15-2011, 07:10 PM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Eh, as far as the sales and support... maybe Supply?
Supply Officers have the most cake job (at least in the Navy)
Not really sell but whenever anyone needs anything, they're in charge of ordering it.
As an officer, you wouldn't be doing any of that, just making sure that department is on top of its ****.
That's sales-ish and support. No real programming...

UNLESS... you want to be a Crypto...
Those dudes are the computer geniuses who hack and do all that top secret ish I little knowledge about.
Again though, I know little about programming
(I'M STUGGLING SO HARD WITH MATLAB IN SCHOOL RIGHT NOW!!!)
so don't know if programming = computer genius lol

As for Supply guys, I also heard after one tour (2 yrs?), they get sent to Harvard to get their masters in business something on the navy's dime.
Pretty sweet deal.

It's hard to get into the field though... bc it's pretty cake and awesome

Last edited by Nalej : 02-15-2011 at 07:16 PM. Reason: edit: add on
Old 02-15-2011, 07:17 PM    (permalink
dabears10
All-Pro

dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
i'm intrigued* by the idea that it looks good on resumes. i'd imagine there are *some* fields where that's true, but it would be completely irrelevant in mine, for instance. (and anecdotally, it hasn't done a good friend any good whatsoever. he's actually been turned down for jobs because employers figured it was likely he'd end up back in the ME in the near future).

* - but seriously, not snarkily.
Basically it seems employers really love it at managerial positions. People feel that if the person went through the military they are likely organized understand 'chain of command' and how to be a leader. None of these are obviously automatically truthful, but it is how it shows on a resume.

Thanks to BoneKrusher Credit and Rep to him for the sig.

dabears10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 07:18 PM    (permalink
senormysterioso
Pro Bowler

senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I love it. I've been in the Army for 6 years and it's the best decision I've ever made in my life. I've been a Civil Affairs specialist the whole time, but after I get back from the mission we have in Afghanistan I'm going to packet for selection into Special Forces.

If you're planning on using the Military for job experience and educational benefits, don't get too wrapped around the axle trying to be a bad ass. Trust me, nobody in the real world cares that I can shoot expert on my M4, or that I can jump out of planes, or that I'm level 3 certified in combatives, or any of that happy hooah stuff. The stuff that looks good on my resume is the medical training, leadership schools, and civilian certs that I've gotten.

sig by BoneKrusher

PACKERS BADGERS BREWERS BUCKS
senormysterioso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 08:43 PM    (permalink
senormysterioso
Pro Bowler

senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.senormysterioso is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think a lot of people have this misconception that as soon as somebody joins the military they automatically turn into this high speed, squared away superman. The military is just like any other organization, there are good soldiers, average soldiers, and complete dirt bags. If a turd comes into an interview for a position who happens to have military experience, employers are not going to ignore the fact that the dude is a turd.

sig by BoneKrusher

PACKERS BADGERS BREWERS BUCKS
senormysterioso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 08:56 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormysterioso View Post
I love it. I've been in the Army for 6 years and it's the best decision I've ever made in my life. I've been a Civil Affairs specialist the whole time, but after I get back from the mission we have in Afghanistan I'm going to packet for selection into Special Forces.

If you're planning on using the Military for job experience and educational benefits, don't get too wrapped around the axle trying to be a bad ass. Trust me, nobody in the real world cares that I can shoot expert on my M4, or that I can jump out of planes, or that I'm level 3 certified in combatives, or any of that happy hooah stuff. The stuff that looks good on my resume is the medical training, leadership schools, and civilian certs that I've gotten.
Totally agree. I put down on a job application once that i was 11 bravo in the Army and the interviewer said the next time we get invaded by the Viet Cong i'll keep you in mind.