Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2014 NFL Draft Forum

2014 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2014 NFL Draft

View Poll Results: Who will the Panthers take with the 1st Overall pick?
Da'Quan Bowers DE Clemson* 34 24.46%
Nick Fairley DT Auburn* 31 22.30%
Cam Newton QB Auburn* 40 28.78%
AJ Green WR Georgia* 5 3.60%
Patrick Peterson DB LSU* 9 6.47%
Robert Quinn DE UNC* 6 4.32%
Marcell Dareus DT Alabama* 14 10.07%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-04-2011, 11:50 AM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roddoliver View Post
PANTHERS BEAT WRITER: GABBERT NOT IN PLAY

The Charlotte Observer's Darin Gantt does not believe Missouri QB Blaine Gabbert is in play for the No. 1 overall pick.

NFL Network reporters and analysts have pushed Gabbert as Panthers' potential top pick, but the team's top beat writer doesn't think he's in the mix. Gantt believes it will come down to Auburn QB Cam Newton or a defensive player.
So they could take the 3rd best QB on Mayock and McShay's board, good strategy.
Babylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 11:59 AM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't get why media outlets keep putting Gabbert up there like that.

He's an inferior prospect in every way in comparison to Newton and Locker, and he's been outperformed by both by a wide margin in the pre-draft process.

No scouts or GMs have Gabbert over those two... I think the various outlets are just trying to look smart by putting a guy that common people don't know about at the top of their rankings.

Last edited by nepg : 03-04-2011 at 12:01 PM.
nepg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 12:06 PM    (permalink
Halsey
Pro Bowler

Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah, it's a conspiracy because the media loves Gabbert. His blond locks really do it for them and he's a fine representative of the Aryan people.
Old 03-04-2011, 12:07 PM    (permalink
Roddoliver
Rookie

Roddoliver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Roddoliver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Roddoliver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Roddoliver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Roddoliver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Roddoliver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Roddoliver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Roddoliver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Roddoliver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Roddoliver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Roddoliver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babylon View Post
So they could take the 3rd best QB on Mayock and McShay's board, good strategy.
In 2009, my beloved Broncos took the 3rd and 4th best prospects overall from Mayock's board. Ayers and Moreno. The result: disaster.
Roddoliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 01:32 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepg View Post
I don't get why media outlets keep putting Gabbert up there like that.

He's an inferior prospect in every way in comparison to Newton and Locker, and he's been outperformed by both by a wide margin in the pre-draft process.

No scouts or GMs have Gabbert over those two... I think the various outlets are just trying to look smart by putting a guy that common people don't know about at the top of their rankings.
Gabbert i think benefits from the tremendous amount of press that Newton, Locker and Mallett have gotten this year (not all good). He comes out of nowhere, delcares for the draft and then his people do a smart thing and hold him out of the combine, implying that he's the top guy and he doesnt need to risk his lofty status. Funny thing is the lemmings get in line and follow this logic off the side of the cliff. Personally i think he can be a good QB but would argue it isnt a given he will be the best of this class or that he should go first.
Old 03-04-2011, 04:49 PM    (permalink
SchizophrenicBatman
Pro Bowler

SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Serious question - who is the last blonde QB prospect that actually panned out?

Bad tidings for the future of Matt Barkley, my friends
Old 03-04-2011, 04:54 PM    (permalink
RaiderNation
All-NFLDC

RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What has Gabbert done to get this #1 pick hype? His play on the field isnt showing me it, he didnt really wow anybody at the combine as a franchise type guy(didnt even throw). I think this is just some beatwrites trying to gain attention saying things like this. It's going to come down to Bowers, Dareus or Newton.

Welcome to the Silver & Mack
"Just Win Baby"
- Al Davis
@SirStackAlot707

RaiderNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 04:56 PM    (permalink
thenewfeature06
Pro Bowler

thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thenewfeature06 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderNation View Post
What has Gabbert done to get this #1 pick hype? His play on the field isnt showing me it, he didnt really wow anybody at the combine as a franchise type guy(didnt even throw). I think this is just some beatwrites trying to gain attention saying things like this. It's going to come down to Bowers, Dareus or Newton.
Haha agreed he hasn't done anything at all to be #1.. I think because the draft is weak in a sense, and Carolina could go a # of different ways.
Go Amare.

Orioles - Raiders - UNC - Nuggets/Wizards
thenewfeature06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 04:56 PM    (permalink
PossumBoy9
Rookie

PossumBoy9 is a cocksman.PossumBoy9 is a cocksman.PossumBoy9 is a cocksman.PossumBoy9 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonRath View Post
hop off Gabberts d!cK! being a 5star recruit instead of a 4 star doesn't mean ****.
Yeah....and he was never ahead of Luck during this season, or any time that I can remember.
PossumBoy9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 06:39 PM    (permalink
jnew76
Pro Bowler

jnew76 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jnew76 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jnew76 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jnew76 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jnew76 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jnew76 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jnew76 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jnew76 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jnew76 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jnew76 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jnew76 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I cannot remember a recent draft when the #1 pick had this many legitimate possibilities to be drafted.

Neither Newton or Gabbert are #1 pick material in my mind at this point... However, we do have both their pro-days coming up and it will be good to finally see Gabbert in action throwing the ball.

Honestly, I am not a fan of any underclassmen QB's... History is not on their side in the NFL. Almost every elite NFL QB spent 4 years in a college program. Manning, Brady, Brees, Rivers were all seniors... Sanchez and Freeman have seen some success recently, so the trend might be changing, but I am still cautious.

I do not understand all the Gabbert hate on this board... Nor so I understand the super love affair with Gabbert in the media. I am somewhere in the middle.

I believe that if Gabbert has an incredible pro-day, he will be the #1 pick. Otherwise I think it is Dareus. I expect the Carolina to say they like Newton because they believe that Buffalo likes him, but I think the character concerns and questions are just too much of a risk for Carolina.
Old 03-05-2011, 10:16 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I have him as the 4th-best QB in the draft and was shocked when he was put anywhere higher than the 20's in initial post-underclassmen deadline mocks. Sure, he can become a good QB, but he's shown nothing that puts him over Newton, Locker, or Mallett.
Old 03-06-2011, 03:23 AM    (permalink
ThePudge
Pro Bowler

ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think it's pretty clear that in early March, Cam Newton is the favorite to go #1. Injury concerns could scare Top 5 teams from considering Da'Quan Bowers, attitude concerns will prevent Nick Fairley from going 1st Overall, and Marcell Dareus may not have been consistently dominant enough this past season to prevent Carolina from going with their top QB. I don't think Gabbert is in play with the 1st Overall pick either. I still find it incredible that most media outlets rate him as their top QB almost by default.

big props to BoneKrusher for the sig & avatar
- For daily NFL draft coverage:
www.twitter.com/ryanlownes
ThePudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 03:33 AM    (permalink
ThePudge
Pro Bowler

ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnew76 View Post
I do not understand all the Gabbert hate on this board... Nor so I understand the super love affair with Gabbert in the media. I am somewhere in the middle.
It mostly stems from the fact (or personal opinion) that Blaine Gabbert has never actually looked like a Top 15 pick on film. He has the physical tools everyone looks for along with great throwing mechanics; however, he is not very accurate and his pocket presence is poor. If he seems to be playing scared against a three or four man rush now then how will he handle pressure at the next level? I don't see the moxie or competitiveness to win over a locker-room and eventually will his team to victory.

Simply put, I just haven't been impressed. For a guy that is getting hype as a Top 5-10 pick, I'm pretty amazed. Gabbert is my 4th ranked QB and I grade him a second rounder. Never before has a QB gone Top 5 with equal, less, or even close to Blaine's college production. He wasn't a special college football player, so why should anybody believe he'll be a star in the league? He has a lot of tools, but something is missing on the field as of now.

Last edited by ThePudge : 03-06-2011 at 03:36 AM.
Old 03-06-2011, 10:23 AM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePudge View Post
It mostly stems from the fact (or personal opinion) that Blaine Gabbert has never actually looked like a Top 15 pick on film. He has the physical tools everyone looks for along with great throwing mechanics; however, he is not very accurate and his pocket presence is poor. If he seems to be playing scared against a three or four man rush now then how will he handle pressure at the next level? I don't see the moxie or competitiveness to win over a locker-room and eventually will his team to victory.

Simply put, I just haven't been impressed. For a guy that is getting hype as a Top 5-10 pick, I'm pretty amazed. Gabbert is my 4th ranked QB and I grade him a second rounder. Never before has a QB gone Top 5 with equal, less, or even close to Blaine's college production. He wasn't a special college football player, so why should anybody believe he'll be a star in the league? He has a lot of tools, but something is missing on the field as of now.
He's a junior and junior QB's are very raw especially when they aren't red-shirted a year. They usually blossom in their senior seasons. Teams are more and more going to have to gamble on potential at the QB position if they want any chance to get a true franchise QB.
We still have to wait and see how Gabbert does at his pro day and yes, he will have to be really impressive in the interview process to remain a top 5 prospect. What college production did Sanchez have? Sanchez got drafted early based on his strong arm, other athletic potential/intangibles and how well he came across in the interview process.
Right now, Gabbert's ceiling is off the charts and that is why, in a particularly strong draft, he is getting serious consideration to go #1 overall.

Last edited by Iamcanadian : 03-06-2011 at 10:25 AM.
Iamcanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 10:29 AM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

Yeah, but Locker, Mallett, and Newton all have higher potential than Gabbert... That's what makes the Gabbert love so odd. He wasn't the best and he doesn't have the highest ceiling. He has major mental flaws...it's just an odd thing to see a prospect get so much love simply because people don't know who he is.
Old 03-06-2011, 10:41 AM    (permalink
hockey619
Veteran

hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamcanadian View Post
He's a junior and junior QB's are very raw especially when they aren't red-shirted a year. They usually blossom in their senior seasons. Teams are more and more going to have to gamble on potential at the QB position if they want any chance to get a true franchise QB.
We still have to wait and see how Gabbert does at his pro day and yes, he will have to be really impressive in the interview process to remain a top 5 prospect. What college production did Sanchez have? Sanchez got drafted early based on his strong arm, other athletic potential/intangibles and how well he came across in the interview process.
Right now, Gabbert's ceiling is off the charts and that is why, in a particularly strong draft, he is getting serious consideration to go #1 overall.
The one year Sanchez played he played very well. The same cannot be said for Gabbert, who was mediocre at best all year. Sanchez showed good ball placement and command of the offense he was in. Gabbert looks very average.

Pudge:
you grade him as a second rounder? Honestly, I'll give him 3-5 round grade right now because he supposedly did well in interviews (something im not privy to). Hes got a solid arm, can extend plays, and size...and thats it. Thats all. His footwork is eh, his accuracy is inconsistent, idk i really dont see it with him.

You said his pocket prescense was poor? Lets not sugar coat it, its freaking atrocious. If his first read isnt open (and he doesnt just force the throw anyway), he runs from the pocket, whether his pocket was perfect or not. if he stayed in school i think he wouldve had a snead like free fall. He looks scared to me, not something you want in a guy trying to lead men.
hockey619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 10:55 AM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey619 View Post
The one year Sanchez played he played very well. The same cannot be said for Gabbert, who was mediocre at best all year. Sanchez showed good ball placement and command of the offense he was in. Gabbert looks very average.

Pudge:
you grade him as a second rounder? Honestly, I'll give him 3-5 round grade right now because he supposedly did well in interviews (something im not privy to). Hes got a solid arm, can extend plays, and size...and thats it. Thats all. His footwork is eh, his accuracy is inconsistent, idk i really dont see it with him.

You said his pocket prescense was poor? Lets not sugar coat it, its freaking atrocious. If his first read isnt open (and he doesnt just force the throw anyway), he runs from the pocket, whether his pocket was perfect or not. if he stayed in school i think he wouldve had a snead like free fall. He looks scared to me, not something you want in a guy trying to lead men.
Not sure that you're insinuating that Gabbert only played one year because he's played two full and a cameo appearance or two in his freshman season.

I dont disagree with some of the things said about Gabbert in here but how is he any more of a risk than Cam Newton, who has only played one year and looks like he needs to improve his accuracy, an issue that probably keeps Jake Locker out of this discussion. To say nothing of the circus that seems to surround Newton.

To say that there is a clear cut #1 QB isnt happening this year, dont be shocked at what comes off the board and in what order.
Old 03-06-2011, 10:59 AM    (permalink
RealityCheck
All-Pro

RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RealityCheck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

For heaven's sake, stop licking Newton's balls for a second and realize that he's not going to be picked #1 overall with that character and that atrocious accuracy.

Same goes with Gabbert. No QB in this class is worth of a first round pick, let alone #1 overall.
RealityCheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 11:30 AM    (permalink
hockey619
Veteran

hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hockey619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Not sure that you're insinuating that Gabbert only played one year because he's played two full and a cameo appearance or two in his freshman season.

I dont disagree with some of the things said about Gabbert in here but how is he any more of a risk than Cam Newton, who has only played one year and looks like he needs to improve his accuracy, an issue that probably keeps Jake Locker out of this discussion. To say nothing of the circus that seems to surround Newton.

To say that there is a clear cut #1 QB isnt happening this year, dont be shocked at what comes off the board and in what order.
No insinuation at all, the above poster had said something about Sanchez not performing which wasnt true. he did perform very well, just not for very long. Gabbert didnt perform much at all, and maintained this mediocrity for quite a while.

your other points ill discuss below with RC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealityCheck View Post
For heaven's sake, stop licking Newton's balls for a second and realize that he's not going to be picked #1 overall with that character and that atrocious accuracy.

Same goes with Gabbert. No QB in this class is worth of a first round pick, let alone #1 overall.
I agree, this QB class is unimpressive. I dont think Newton is number one overall worthy. I do think this class has potential but no one really stands out a ton. My rankings...

1) Mallett - Late first rounder. Too many character concerns that i cant answer so that kinda hard. but he's the best passer in this class and it really aint too close, pocket prescense and accuracy arent always great but overall it got a lot better this year. Only question is character, something i dont have straight facts on, and makes some questionable decisions at times. Could be Derek Anderson, could be a better drew bledsoe and do pretty well.

2) Stanzi - Second round. second best passer to me in this class, makes some eh decisions at times and the rush will bother him at times, but he throws down the field well, shows good mechanics and ball placement, and throws a nice fade. arm is solid, accuracy is pretty good but gets spotty under pressure. Only thing i saw that i really didnt like was he really stares down his recievers.

3) Locker - Second to third round. Him and newton are actually pretty similar. Big arm, bad feet leading to shakey accuracy on the short timing throws. Locker appears to have the work ethic and personality of a good QB, but it doesnt seem to come natural to him which is why hes not a solid second round pick.

4) Newton - Third or later. Bad feet leading to shakey accuracy. Questionable guy who early on will rub guys the wrong way until they get to know him, question being how long will that take and will he still be around? Ive said before: i could see him having a career path similar to vick. some success early but not putting in the work on the details (footwork, leading to accuracy issues) and being a runner not a passer. I think he could be a player, but his risk of really flaming out in spectacular fashion is pretty high. His dad's involvement scares me a bit too, too many questions with him and too many places where it could go wrong to have him higher than this imo.

5) Gabbert - third to fifth. he scared in the pocket. awful pocket presence (i still have no idea how to spell that) inconsistent accuracy on all levels. Panics in the pocket and throws it into coverage. Solid arm and can extend plays. I dont see the high pick everyone is touting.

I NEVER WATCHED PONDER, ENDERLE, AND KAEPERNICK PLAY SO I DONT KNOW IF THEYD FIT IN THEIR SOMEWHERE FOR THAT REASON.

Dalton and McElroy: thought both were awful to eh as jrs, looked solid but unspectacular as seniors. Prefer McElroy a little more at this point, might become a decent to solid starter as his upside, gotta see some more of him before I really know though, profiles as more of a backup though.

I really wanna see more but ive been so busy, might have some time next week. This is how i see it as of now.
hockey619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 01:02 PM    (permalink
ThePudge
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealityCheck View Post

There has been NFL personnel that had a closer look in interviews and said Newton checked out perfectly in interviews. While I don't think he has close to pristine character, one team will fall in love and he's still a cinch Top 5 pick with Carolina, Buffalo, Cincinnati, and Arizona all in the market for a franchise QB. Of all people, you can't put your personal evaluation to the side and see it how NFL teams will? Has your draft record been that accurate in the past? How would you rate your grasp on predicting the NFL Draft?

Like it or not, some people need to take their head out of their ass and realize that as many as 6 Quarterbacks could be off the board by the end of the Second Round. QBs will go higher than scouts and "experts" have them on their boards due to immense demand. It looks likely that two QBs will come off the board in the first 12 picks and it looks like those two will be Newton and Blaine Gabbert. Let me clarify, I don't think Gabbert is a Top 30 player in this draft... but I'm also not too full of my opinion to assume that teams will be able to land him in the Late 1st-Early 2nd where I think he deserves to go.

So all of you that think no QB warrants a Top 20 selection, learn how to remove personal opinions when actually talking about projections for draft day. There is a ton of insider info out there that helps illustrate where teams expect players to come off the board. I'm a fan of using those available resources instead of assuming NFL teams will draft based on my personal board.

Old 03-06-2011, 01:23 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePudge View Post
There has been NFL personnel that had a closer look in interviews and said Newton checked out perfectly in interviews. While I don't think he has close to pristine character, one team will fall in love and he's still a cinch Top 5 pick with Carolina, Buffalo, Cincinnati, and Arizona all in the market for a franchise QB. Of all people, you can't put your personal evaluation to the side and see it how NFL teams will? Has your draft record been that accurate in the past? How would you rate your grasp on predicting the NFL Draft?

Like it or not, some people need to take their head out of their ass and realize that as many as 6 Quarterbacks could be off the board by the end of the Second Round. QBs will go higher than scouts and "experts" have them on their boards due to immense demand. It looks likely that two QBs will come off the board in the first 12 picks and it looks like those two will be Newton and Blaine Gabbert. Let me clarify, I don't think Gabbert is a Top 30 player in this draft... but I'm also not too full of my opinion to assume that teams will be able to land him in the Late 1st-Early 2nd where I think he deserves to go.

So all of you that think no QB warrants a Top 20 selection, learn how to remove personal opinions when actually talking about projections for draft day. There is a ton of insider info out there that helps illustrate where teams expect players to come off the board. I'm a fan of using those available resources instead of assuming NFL teams will draft based on my personal board.
I wouldnt say cinch. What i'm seeing is no QBs takent till the 7th pick at the earliest. I'm not a huge Newton fan but someone could fall in love with him although i'm not exactly sure what they would be falling in love with. You could make the same argument for Locker and Gabbert to be a cinch for the top 5 and who knows they all might be by draft day.
Old 03-06-2011, 02:00 PM    (permalink
ThePudge
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I wouldnt say cinch. What i'm seeing is no QBs takent till the 7th pick at the earliest. I'm not a huge Newton fan but someone could fall in love with him although i'm not exactly sure what they would be falling in love with. You could make the same argument for Locker and Gabbert to be a cinch for the top 5 and who knows they all might be by draft day.
I don't mean to seem like I'm attacking you personally, but there's no way the top 6 picks are all defenders and receivers. I have Newton 7th on my board, behind players that will receive a whole lot of consideration in the Top 6. Still, from what I've gathered from NFL personnel and insiders, it appears that there is 0 chance that there will not be two QBs taken in the Top 12 and at least one in the Top 5.

With Newton and Gabbert, teams aren't going to be drooling about where they are now, but rather where they could be with some time and coaching. Each could be groomed to be solid starting Quarterbacks or more. Now, Gabbert is further ahead mechanically, that much is evident; however, Newton has that "it" factor and routinely took over games in college with both his legs and his arm. Footwork can be easily re-worked in the NFL and Cam doesn't seem to fear the three or four man rush quite like Gabbert does. He has accuracy issues now, largely due to his throwing mechanics. Still, if a team thinks they can coach Newton up to his potential, then he's worth a Top 3 pick easily. His upside as a potential franchise QB supersedes any other player in this draft.

Basically, I'm with whoever says there is no slam-dunk, Top 5 value at the Quarterback position. However, I think Newton can't get past the Bengals at #4 if he gets past the Panthers & Bills in the first place. I don't say this with any bias... I'm not an Auburn fan. I call it like I see it. I don't want him on my Cincinnati Bengals, because he'll need a strong organization to keep him in line and maximize his potential. I think it IS a given that two QBs will go among the Top 15 picks and I still believe either Mallett or Locker could sneak into the 1st.

I'll highlight this point on its own; Quarterback demand is higher than ever. Now we have some young players that haven't worked out... see San Francisco (Alex Smith), Miami (Chad Henne), Arizona (Matt Leinart), Tennessee (Vince Young), Carolina (Jimmy Clausen.) Others have to replace veterans... see Minnesota (Brett Favre), Cincinnati (Carson Palmer), Washington (Donovan McNabb), Seattle (Matt Hasselbeck.) Then you have the teams that need to upgrade the position or add a young franchise QB prospect if they expect to be very competitive in the future ... see Jacksonville (David Garrard), Buffalo (Ryan Fitzpatrick), Oakland (Jason Campbell.)

That's 13 teams that could target a QB in the first two rounds if they want a legitimate shot at the playoffs in the future. Two will go Top 15, three will go first round, and at least seven will come off the board in the draft's first two days.

Old 03-06-2011, 02:06 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

^
Not taking anything personal, it's called a discussion. You are probably right in that teams will value some of these guys higher based on need. I'm just not ready to say it will be one over the others because they all bring differant things to the table.
Old 03-06-2011, 02:16 PM    (permalink
slats7
Rookie

slats7 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slats7 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slats7 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slats7 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slats7 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slats7 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slats7 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slats7 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slats7 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slats7 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.slats7 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Can we assume that no team will be interested in trading up to the #1 slot?

Last edited by slats7 : 03-06-2011 at 02:18 PM.
slats7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 02:21 PM    (permalink
katnip
Veteran

katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.katnip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Voted for Peterson, because its a deep DL class is all I heard on NFL network. I would have voted for Gabbert though if he was a choice.

Sig by, Hitman D
katnip is offline   Reply With Quote