Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2015 NFL Draft Forum

2015 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2015 NFL Draft

View Poll Results: Who will the Panthers take with the 1st Overall pick?
Da'Quan Bowers DE Clemson* 34 24.46%
Nick Fairley DT Auburn* 31 22.30%
Cam Newton QB Auburn* 40 28.78%
AJ Green WR Georgia* 5 3.60%
Patrick Peterson DB LSU* 9 6.47%
Robert Quinn DE UNC* 6 4.32%
Marcell Dareus DT Alabama* 14 10.07%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-06-2011, 08:27 PM    (permalink
the natural
Veteran

the natural the natural the natural the natural the natural the natural the natural the natural the natural the natural the natural
Default The NFL.com guys seem to like Gabbert

I would think they would be the most "plugged in" draft analysts. Mayock, Wyche, Lombardi, Kirwan, pretty much all of them are on the Gabbert bandwagon now. Word is that Gabbert interviewed the best of all the QBs in Indy. His test results were right there with the top guys across the board in the athletic events. I'm pretty sure that he is the best overall passer of the group, and will show that on his pro day. I don't think it will be close between him and any of the other QBs on draft day. But you never know.
the natural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 08:48 PM    (permalink
ThePudge
Pro Bowler

ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babylon View Post
Can we stop quoting draftniks as being some sort of authority as to who is going where, this is getting rediculous.

Rob Rang, who is a freaking school teacher by the way, supposedly has some sort of access to 7 differant teams. If somehow he does they are stupid to be leaking any info and second were these even teams that are in need of QBs. I think we're fast approaching the twilight zone here.
This is a respected source with access to inside information from scouts that he keeps anonymous. I guarantee you Scott has a couple guys who he would never name that give him some inside info. That's how it works with higher profile/experienced draftniks like Scott, Rang, Josh Buchanan, and Wes Bunting. There are resources out there that you can look at and choose to trust or ignore. It's not all too dangerous and much less likely to be a smokescreen when the draft analyst keeps them anonymous.

big props to BoneKrusher for the sig & avatar
- For daily NFL draft coverage:
www.twitter.com/ryanlownes
ThePudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 08:51 PM    (permalink
wonderbredd24
All-Pro

wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePudge View Post
much less likely to be a smokescreen when the draft analyst keeps them anonymous.
Why is it less likely to be a smokescreen? I don't think it changes anything on that front.

Anonymous or not, "team sources" will use any outlet they see fit to get the misinformation out there.
wonderbredd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 09:23 PM    (permalink
San Diego Chicken
Pro Bowler

San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Newton looked bad throwing at the combine and should have just saved it for his pro day. I think if any QB gets selected #1, it's Gabbert at this point, even though I really doubt he'll be anything special in the NFL.
Old 03-06-2011, 09:23 PM    (permalink
ThePudge
Pro Bowler

ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ThePudge is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderbredd24 View Post
Why is it less likely to be a smokescreen? I don't think it changes anything on that front.

Anonymous or not, "team sources" will use any outlet they see fit to get the misinformation out there.
I don't see much of a point to keep a smokescreen anonymous. Many draftniks would lose their credibility if they were to reveal their sources. There is information out there and those who look closely can always predict the draft with more accuracy than the stubborn person who sits back and won't believe any of the inside info they are hit with. I don't believe everything, but there is plenty of stuff out there. People shouldn't just stick their nose up and ignore all "inside" info that flies around the internet. You can pick and choose what to ignore and what not to ignore.

Old 03-07-2011, 05:17 AM    (permalink
grignotte
Rookie

grignotte hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Neither will Cam Newton be an UDFA nor a 3rd rounder. He and Gabbert are two first round locks.

I personnaly think that the top 4 QB's will get drafted in the first round. If Tim Tebow can be selected in the first round, I don't see why a guy like Locker couldn't. You can hate these guys (I put Mallett in this group too) as much as you want but they all have potential to offset some of their flaws, and with so many teams desperately in need of a QB...the chances of seeing all of them go in the first round are realistic.
grignotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 06:00 AM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

When you are picking #1 overall, you don't use smoke screens unless you are sure you can trade the pick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grignotte View Post
Neither will Cam Newton be an UDFA nor a 3rd rounder. He and Gabbert are two first round locks.

I personnaly think that the top 4 QB's will get drafted in the first round. If Tim Tebow can be selected in the first round, I don't see why a guy like Locker couldn't. You can hate these guys (I put Mallett in this group too) as much as you want but they all have potential to offset some of their flaws, and with so many teams desperately in need of a QB...the chances of seeing all of them go in the first round are realistic.
I'd bet my house on Andy Dalton or Christian Ponder being a top 4 drafted QB. While lots of teams have Newton #1 and some teams have Gabbert #1, there will be a ton of teams that will not even rank Mallett. He's probably the best pure thrower in the draft, but there are rumors abound that he's a coke addicted jerk. Everyone keeps saying "Ryan Leaf" with him. That will cause him to fall. Jake Locker is probably a first rounder as well, but I wouldn't be shocked at all if the 4th QB is Christian Ponder (who is seriously under-rated). And No, I wouldn't put Colin Kapernick in that group. It may sound silly, but there are NFL Owners who would block the pick in round 1 because he has visible tattoos.

Last edited by descendency : 03-07-2011 at 06:06 AM.
descendency is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 01:54 PM    (permalink
TACKLE
All-NFLDC

TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Per Rotoworld

Quote:
Panthers head coach Ron Rivera will be personally on hand for Auburn QB Cam Newton's Pro Day on Tuesday.
Old 03-07-2011, 02:27 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I voted Cam Newton. Should be no surprise. I'm just glad we're past the Newton vs Locker, who's better debates.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 02:28 PM    (permalink
wonderbredd24
All-Pro

wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wonderbredd24 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
I voted Cam Newton. Should be no surprise. I'm just glad we're past the Newton vs Locker, who's better debates.
Better at what? Quarterback? I'll take Locker all day long.
Old 03-07-2011, 02:38 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
We may be the only two but i'm with you on this, the more you look at the maturity level, the physical ability and the intangibles of these two i think Locker will be the better player going forward. Probably doesnt mean he'll get drafted first but someone like the Redskins or the Vikings will get the better player.
Babylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 02:40 PM    (permalink
RWills
Veteran

RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RWills is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by descendency View Post
I'd bet my house on Andy Dalton or Christian Ponder being a top 4 drafted QB. While lots of teams have Newton #1 and some teams have Gabbert #1, there will be a ton of teams that will not even rank Mallett. He's probably the best pure thrower in the draft, but there are rumors abound that he's a coke addicted jerk. Everyone keeps saying "Ryan Leaf" with him. That will cause him to fall. Jake Locker is probably a first rounder as well, but I wouldn't be shocked at all if the 4th QB is Christian Ponder (who is seriously under-rated). And No, I wouldn't put Colin Kapernick in that group. It may sound silly, but there are NFL Owners who would block the pick in round 1 because he has visible tattoos.
There was a mock that I saw that had me thinking.....this mock had Ponder going round 1 to Jax....when I saw this I can't help but think that it actually could happen, the team that made Alua a top 10 pick really could take Ponder here, I don't agree with it, but I don't think it is far off from reality
3. TE - Ben Koyak - Notre Dame
4. LB - AJ Johnson - Tennessee
5. DE - Anthony Chickillo - Miami
6. WR - Tyler Lockett - Kansas State
7. TE - Clive Walford - Miami
RWills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 02:43 PM    (permalink
wonderbredd24
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babylon View Post
We may be the only two but i'm with you on this, the more you look at the maturity level, the physical ability and the intangibles of these two i think Locker will be the better player going forward. Probably doesnt mean he'll get drafted first but someone like the Redskins or the Vikings will get the better player.
You, me, and evidently the dude with his name on the site.

Locker has everything you love about Tebow, except he has slightly better footwork (albeit something that still needs work) and such a free and easy throwing motion.

I'm curious what people look for in a quarterback... if you were going to list the Top 5 things you want in a quarterback, what would they be?

For me, it goes...

1. Accuracy
2. Poise
3. Leadership
4. Work Ethic
5. Arm Strength

Locker is 4/5 with accuracy being the one that he needs to establish. For me, Newton definitely has Poise and Arm Strength... I have serious reservations about the work ethic and accuracy and I frankly have no clue about the leadership. So Newton is 2 or 3 out of 5.
Old 03-07-2011, 03:17 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
You, me, and evidently the dude with his name on the site.

Locker has everything you love about Tebow, except he has slightly better footwork (albeit something that still needs work) and such a free and easy throwing motion.

I'm curious what people look for in a quarterback... if you were going to list the Top 5 things you want in a quarterback, what would they be?

For me, it goes...

1. Accuracy
2. Poise
3. Leadership
4. Work Ethic
5. Arm Strength

Locker is 4/5 with accuracy being the one that he needs to establish. For me, Newton definitely has Poise and Arm Strength... I have serious reservations about the work ethic and accuracy and I frankly have no clue about the leadership. So Newton is 2 or 3 out of 5.
I think the people that would prefer Cam would point to this past season for the two players. Newton had a great year with a good supporting cast although he wasnt asked to make a ton of differant reads as you have pointed out.

Locker this past year was asked to do everything, carry a poor receiving corps behind a young and at times injured line. The thing is like buying a stock, past performances are no indication of future results.
Old 03-07-2011, 03:32 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
How about as an NFL draft prospect? I win.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 03:36 PM    (permalink
wonderbredd24
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
How about as an NFL draft prospect? I win.
Did I miss the draft?
Old 03-07-2011, 03:39 PM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

I feel a poll coming on.
Old 03-07-2011, 03:51 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Going to a pro day isn't a smoke screen, I don't see how you can put the two together. He's going to the pro day to see if he even wants to draft him, pretty sure that's not a smokescreen letting people know he's going to scout a player. A smoke screen to me usually starts something like "sources inside the Panthers organization say they have Gabbert as their #1 QB", not going to a workout.

But unless your trying to have leverage in contract talks, the #1 team doesn't need to play mind games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 03:56 PM    (permalink
wonderbredd24
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
Going to a pro day isn't a smoke screen, I don't see how you can put the two together. He's going to the pro day to see if he even wants to draft him, pretty sure that's not a smokescreen letting people know he's going to scout a player. A smoke screen to me usually starts something like "sources inside the Panthers organization say they have Gabbert as their #1 QB", not going to a workout.

But unless your trying to have leverage in contract talks, the #1 team doesn't need to play mind games.
No? The Falcons cut Jeff George's workout short to send out the message they were going to draft him. As a result, they were able to get the Colts 1st, Andre Rison, a talented guard whose name escapes me at the moment, and their 1st the following year so the Colts could take George.

I'm sure Ron Rivera is doing his due diligence, but you can't rule out anything.
Old 03-07-2011, 11:16 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
The Charlotte Observer's Darin Gantt predicts that Auburn QB Cam Newton will be the No. 1 overall pick in the draft.
"I think they were so set on Andrew Luck coming out, they're not going to wait," explains Gantt. "They need a quarterback." Gantt is the most clued-in Panthers beat writer in the country, so it would be difficult to not trust him. He also believes coach Ron Rivera "is going (to Auburn's Pro Day) for a reason," and that's to meet with the Panthers' next franchise quarterback.
Rotoworld.
gpngc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 12:53 AM    (permalink
the natural
Veteran

the natural the natural the natural the natural the natural the natural the natural the natural the natural the natural the natural

Gantt also said that "maybe if I was going to Peterson's pro day tomorrow instead, I'd have him at the top of the list, instead...", and ....."I don't think it's outrageous [taking Newton first overall]. I think it could happen. So I pushed a button...".... Doesn't really sound to me like someone who knows any more than you or I about what the team is going to do.

It is the same situation as when reporters interviewed Rivera at the combine. They asked him "What do you think of drafting Cam Newton?". So, of course Rivera said..."Well, we are going to look at him along with a bunch of other guys, certainly he showed a lot of talent...blah, blah, blah.". Then by passing from one ear to another it somehow became "RIVERA SOLD ON NEWTON AS PANTHERS TOP PICK!".

Last edited by the natural : 03-08-2011 at 01:00 AM.
Old 03-08-2011, 02:23 AM    (permalink
ThePudge
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by the natural View Post
Gantt also said that "maybe if I was going to Peterson's pro day tomorrow instead, I'd have him at the top of the list, instead...", and ....."I don't think it's outrageous [taking Newton first overall]. I think it could happen. So I pushed a button...".... Doesn't really sound to me like someone who knows any more than you or I about what the team is going to do.
Do you seriously think you're on the same level of credibility in this matter as the Panthers top beat writer?

Old 03-08-2011, 02:30 AM    (permalink
the natural
Veteran

Well, Pudge open those tiny eyes sunk deep into the flesh of your face and read what Gantt is saying. Does it sound like he has Rivera and Hurley's sworn statement in his hand?
Old 03-08-2011, 12:36 PM    (permalink
GoRavens
Veteran

GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Does it make any sense for Carolina to take a project QB, like Cam Newton #1?
Not at all, damn sports writers are so quick to forget about Jimmy Clausen.
Give the kid time, Cam Newton to the panthers would be such a pathetic pick.
I say they trade it to Dallas.
Old 03-08-2011, 01:00 PM    (permalink
SchizophrenicBatman
Pro Bowler

SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Saying that Gantt is the most clued in Panthers reporter in the country is like saying that Barry Melrose is the most clued in hockey reporter on ESPN. It doesn't mean much if he's the only effing guy

FWIW Gantt thought Shockey had no chance of coming to Carolina when it was first reported
SchizophrenicBatman is online now   Reply With Quote