Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Pittsburgh Steelers Team Forum

Pittsburgh Steelers Team Forum Discuss the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Old 05-03-2011, 03:04 AM    (permalink
Mr. Goosemahn
All-Pro

Location: Crushed Anthony Thomas hopes and broken Mark Herlizch dreams...
Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

2012 mocks already, I like it.

Here's a quick, preliminary one. I know some of these guys might not seem like likely picks as they'll probably not be available for picking late in each round (I'm thinking playoffs again for us), but we said the same thing about Cameron Heyward last year, and look what happened.

1. ILB Vontaze Burfict, Arizona State
Burfict would be a dream come true. Not only is he an unbelievably good linebacker, he'd be a near perfect fit playing alongside Timmons. A true thumper, he's got a nasty demeanor and unmatched energy and tenacity.

2. OG David DeCastro, Stanford
A fantastic guard, great in-line blocker, and great puller. He's basically perfect for our system as a LG. Great size, great coaching in college, and most importantly great play. Already being touted as the next Faneca / Steve Hutchinson.

3. QB Terrelle Pryor, Ohio State
Definitely not as a QB, but as a receiver, he could be good. 6'6, 235 lbs., close to 4.5, he would be a nightmare for opposing defenders. Plus, he's a fantastic runner with the ball and would consistently get extra yards.

4. RB Jeff Demps, Florida
I'm apalled at his speed and want him on our team just to spell Mendenhall's tough running with elite, world-class speed.

5. FS Blake Gideon, Texas
Solid player, good program, good production.

6. OT Jermarcus Hardrick, Nebraska
Big body, limited experience but has upside.

7. A kicker
We need one.

Props to clover_jeez!
Mr. Goosemahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 12:35 PM    (permalink
Mr. Goosemahn
All-Pro

Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Mendenhall causing up a stir with his comments:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_yl..._laden_remarks

Props to clover_jeez!
Old 05-03-2011, 01:54 PM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Goosemahn View Post
Mendenhall causing up a stir with his comments:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_yl..._laden_remarks
I've already discussed this a good bit. I don't think it's that big of a deal, but wished he just kept his mouth shut about it.
Old 05-03-2011, 04:30 PM    (permalink
mikehop05
Pro Bowler

mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hines View Post
I've already discussed this a good bit. I don't think it's that big of a deal, but wished he just kept his mouth shut about it.
yeah, simple case of young kid w/ too much time on his hands at the moment

i wish he would have worded his comments a bit different, but what can ya do

hopefully this will pass soon.

thanks to steel man for the fresh sig
mikehop05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 04:52 PM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikehop05 View Post
yeah, simple case of young kid w/ too much time on his hands at the moment

i wish he would have worded his comments a bit different, but what can ya do

hopefully this will pass soon.
I honestly don't see what the big deal is. If some average Joe said it on Facebook or Twitter, it would be blown over, but since it's a professional athlete, it's going on national news like CNN. ********.
Old 05-05-2011, 07:34 AM    (permalink
Jakey
All-Pro

Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Mendy tries to stir up convosations and opinions, and hes good at it. I personally respect him more for speaking his mind...football players shouldnt be drones.
Old 05-05-2011, 04:05 PM    (permalink
CDub
Veteran

CDub is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDub is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDub is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDub is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDub is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDub is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDub is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDub is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDub is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDub is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDub is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

A bit off topic but I'm currently working on a mortgage for one of the Steelers office personnel and through conversations with him over the weekend I was surprised to learn the the team had 0 interest in Dowling, Cannon, or Chekwa. I only mention that because I know those were guys that most of us, and apparently most of the media, thought that they were high on. I had sent him a few names on my personal mock and he pretty much shot them all down, including Hynoski in the 7th. He also told me that they would have taken Brown earlier if Gilbert wasn't available.

Just some food for thought. And I fully intend on maintaining the relationship with said individual so that I can hopefully continue to get little bits of info in the future (not that he'd be willing to give me all the juicy scoops).
CDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 08:41 PM    (permalink
mikehop05
Pro Bowler

mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mikehop05 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDub View Post
A bit off topic but I'm currently working on a mortgage for one of the Steelers office personnel and through conversations with him over the weekend I was surprised to learn the the team had 0 interest in Dowling, Cannon, or Chekwa. I only mention that because I know those were guys that most of us, and apparently most of the media, thought that they were high on. I had sent him a few names on my personal mock and he pretty much shot them all down, including Hynoski in the 7th. He also told me that they would have taken Brown earlier if Gilbert wasn't available.

Just some food for thought. And I fully intend on maintaining the relationship with said individual so that I can hopefully continue to get little bits of info in the future (not that he'd be willing to give me all the juicy scoops).
awesome, keep up the good relationship... def a great one to have

Old 05-06-2011, 07:21 PM    (permalink
Mr. Goosemahn
All-Pro

Weird idea, but how would you guys feel about bringing in Vince Young? Personally, I'd kind of like the move. We don't need QB depth on paper, but in reality I think we could. Batch is made of fine china, Dixon was mediocre at best early this year, and Leftwich is good as a backup, but injury prone too.

Vince would have absolutely no pressure but at the same time would not play extensively. Still, he's "Young" enough have him sit / get his **** together for a year and then flip him for a profit.

He probably wouldn't want to come here due to us having Ben, but just a thought.

In any case, here's a list of Free Agents I'd like to see us pursue when the lockout is lifted:

* RB Cadillac Williams, Tampa Bay Buccaneers - was statistically the best third down back in the NFL last year.
* RB Jerious Norwood, Atlanta Falcons - speedy back, but injury prone.
* RB Jerome Harrison, Philadelphia Eagles - played well for Philly but they decided to not keep him (at least that's what appears will happen).

* FB Le'Ron McClain, Baltimore Ravens - he wants to run, I want a FB that can do more in our offense than David Johnson, seeing how Bruce Arians loves to not use them for blocking.

* OT Marshal Yanda, Baltimore Ravens - versatile player who plays with a nasty demeanor; would be an immediate starter (never mind upgrade) at RG for us.

* OT Tyson Clabo, Atlanta Falcons - probably well out of our price range, especially considering we just drafted Gilbert, but Clabo is a mean run-blocker with great size. Would absolutely help us open up lanes for Mendenhall.

* OG Davin Joseph, Tampa Bay Buccaneers - again, probably out of our price range, but he's a guy I'd really like to have at RG. Not very big, but he gets the job done. Obviously an upgrade over Foster.

* S Dawan Landry, Baltimore Ravens - a lot of Ravens on my list, haha, but these are guys I think would really help us. Landry is basically a younger, faster, bigger, and probably stronger version of Ryan Clark.

* S Michael Huff, Oakland Raiders - more of a coverage safety than a run-support one, but that's okay for me. Might not exactly be a huge upgrade, but I feel he'd cover more territory than Clark does.

* CB Nnamdi Asomugha/Jonathan Joseph/Antonio Cromartie/Richard Marshall - please, just get a CB.

Props to clover_jeez!
Old 05-06-2011, 07:38 PM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

I think Michael Huff is all but done to Dallas. I'd like to sign Ike and maybe Carlos Rogers.
Old 05-08-2011, 12:50 PM    (permalink
glennjamen3
Rookie

glennjamen3 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Goosemahn View Post
Weird idea, but how would you guys feel about bringing in Vince Young? Personally, I'd kind of like the move. We don't need QB depth on paper, but in reality I think we could. Batch is made of fine china, Dixon was mediocre at best early this year, and Leftwich is good as a backup, but injury prone too.

Vince would have absolutely no pressure but at the same time would not play extensively. Still, he's "Young" enough have him sit / get his **** together for a year and then flip him for a profit.

He probably wouldn't want to come here due to us having Ben, but just a thought.
It could turn out well, and the guy is certainly talented, but I'm a huge seller on Vince. I was a fan when the Titans drafted him out of Texas but I think his attitude is killing his football career. It's a lose lose lose situation. If he sits on the bench and progresses, he'll get restless like he did in Tennessee and cause problems in the locker room and for the front office. If he sits on the bench and doesn't progress, his confidence will be shot and he turns into an emotional wreck that you can't count on. If he's not on the bench... well then we've got even bigger problems. I just don't think he's worth the headache, hassle, or money for what we would need him for. I'd like to take a look at some of those other FA you listed though, especially Cromartie

Thank you Jimmy for the sig.
glennjamen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 01:02 PM    (permalink
K Train
All-Pro

K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

id love vince as a backup, essentially id feel the same way about signing him as i did about leftwich. the dude wins games and i feel like he could be relied on for a stretch if we needed him..

i had hopes for dixon but i dont think hes gonna be much any time soon...baseball might be his best bet. and batch shouldnt even be on an NFL roster anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saints-Tigers View Post
"He won't be able to just use his arm power to throw defenders around at the next level!"

The hell he won't, lol.
K Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 09:38 AM    (permalink
K Train
All-Pro

K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i really wish we could have some news about OTAs and rookie mini camps :-(

Quote:
"He won't be able to just use his arm power to throw defenders around at the next level!"

The hell he won't, lol.
Old 05-10-2011, 10:21 AM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

I want David Akers as our kicker next year.
Old 05-10-2011, 10:27 AM    (permalink
K Train
All-Pro

akers was really awful last year...im force fed eagles games here and he showed a weak leg and poor accuracy for one of the most consistant kickers ever.

i want crosby personally, but i wouldnt be opposed to brining in a rookie like forbath or suisham for another shot

Quote:

The hell he won't, lol.
Old 05-10-2011, 03:44 PM    (permalink
mikehop05
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Train View Post
akers was really awful last year...im force fed eagles games here and he showed a weak leg and poor accuracy for one of the most consistant kickers ever.

i want crosby personally, but i wouldnt be opposed to brining in a rookie like forbath or suisham for another shot
akers' kid was also diagnosed / battling leukemia last year so im sure that had most of his attention...

kickers are mental freaks to begin with, throw somethin like that in there and they may never be the same

Old 05-10-2011, 08:05 PM    (permalink
SCSteeler
Veteran

SCSteeler hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.SCSteeler hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

What about FA DT's?
I don't see you guys mentioning any, are there any (young) FA DTs out there?
I think that position should be the main priority to upgrade/add depth through free agency.
Do you guys see that happening, or are we gonna run with Hoke and Hampton 1 more time?
Old 05-10-2011, 09:06 PM    (permalink
K Train
All-Pro

i would have liked jamaal anderson before they got heyward.

i really wish the steelers would have kept al woods...i <3'd him

not really much NT material out there, wish we could have gotten powe late

Quote:

The hell he won't, lol.
Old 05-10-2011, 09:34 PM    (permalink
Mr. Goosemahn
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSteeler View Post
What about FA DT's?
I don't see you guys mentioning any, are there any (young) FA DTs out there?
I think that position should be the main priority to upgrade/add depth through free agency.
Do you guys see that happening, or are we gonna run with Hoke and Hampton 1 more time?
I'm pretty sure it'll be Hampton and Hoke again, with Ziggy switching over if both guys get injured in the same game.

But regarding free agents:
Aubrayo Franklin, San Francisco - old, very likely out of our price range.
Pat Williams, Minnesota - old as ****, but has ties with Mike Tomlin.
Kris Jenkins, New York Jets - Old and injury prone recently.

Props to clover_jeez!
Old 05-10-2011, 10:11 PM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

Ian Williams is an UDFA and I believe we could very well land him.
Old 05-11-2011, 10:37 AM    (permalink
K Train
All-Pro

what would be your thoughts on mcfadden playing FS? after failing to address FS and clark obviously being a liability and being pulled in the superbowl i think mcfadden would be the best canidate on the roster to move to that spot.

Hes a sure tackler, got decent speed and ball skills and is good in zone....ideally they resign ike, have butler play RCB and brown play NB...i think *** moves on, lewis could get cut too and clark and mundy could be the primary backups at safety.

also allen could take madisons spot, not sure how he would be used in the defense though

Quote:

The hell he won't, lol.
Old 05-11-2011, 10:55 AM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

I wouldn't mind BMac at FS.
Old 05-11-2011, 04:23 PM    (permalink
Jakey
All-Pro

Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah i could live with BMac at FS. Ive always been keen on moving Lewis to safety, and McFadden is basically Lewis...except he has actually proved he can play in the league.
Old 05-12-2011, 08:34 AM    (permalink
K Train
All-Pro

i really hate lewis...he was a terrible pick. i thought he was a FS since the senior bowl and that hasnt changed today, now i just think he sucks though

Quote:

The hell he won't, lol.
Old 05-12-2011, 02:55 PM    (permalink
steelernation77
Veteran

steelernation77 is so money.steelernation77 is so money.steelernation77 is so money.steelernation77 is so money.steelernation77 is so money.steelernation77 is so money.steelernation77 is so money.steelernation77 is so money.steelernation77 is so money.steelernation77 is so money.

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't there talk of Butler possibly playing some FS?
steelernation77 is offline   Reply With Quote