Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Pittsburgh Steelers Team Forum

Pittsburgh Steelers Team Forum Discuss the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Old 04-01-2011, 01:03 PM    (permalink
DeathbyStat
Pro Bowler

DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Train View Post
Realistically i do not think we have a shot at Mike Pouncey who remains on top of my wish list, but heres what i think is 1) Likely to play out 2)amazing if it played out tied together

1) Cameron Heyward DE OSU
With such a deep DE class, espeically for 5 techs i think we have a legit shot at him at 31 and at 31 it would be a STEAL

2) Curtis Brown CB Texas
I do think that he is the best CB on the texas roster and will instantly sure up the secondary. Ike, Butler, Brown, and *** is a SOLID group of corners imo (i love butler, i dont care if theres any weight to my statement yet...there will be)

3) Lance Kendricks TE
I hate spaeth and i think he should leave, Kendricks is a pass catching TE and i think the steelers are heavily interested in him, could be a dynamic addition to the passing game.

4) Marcus Gilbert OT Florida
Lived in the shadow of the pounceys at florida, but is a fine prospect in his own right. will be better than starks imo (former gator who went in the 3rd)

5) Noel Devine RB WVU
Love me some noel devine. He bulked up impressively between the senior bowl (a dismal 165) and now hes over 180. He has elite vision, speed and strength, honestly pound for pound one of the strongest humans on the planet....the bench and squat he can throw up at his size shames all of the lineman at wvu. Hes a hell of a 3rd down back, and CAN run in between the tackles. He also has some unreal potential as a return man. Get mewelde off the roster in favor of noel.

6) DeAndre Brown WR Southern Miss
Hes my this years Mike Williams (we see how that worked out, i had mike williams mocked to us in the 5th in every mock i had last year) He would be a much better prospect if he wasnt labeled with these karakter konserns. big target, i think will make a team very happy.

7) Josh Bynes MLB Auburn
Bynes is a thumper as a MLB, hes pretty slow but makes up for it with very good instincts, could contribute as a backup and ST.

Other options that the steelers might look into include alex henery K nebraska, Rashad Carmichael CB VT, i think theres a considerable amount of interest in both of those prospects. Carmichael in the 3rd/4th, and Henery in the 6th
I would be fine with this

"O-H-I-O...its a four letter word."
Mike Tirico

Magilla Gorilla ain'ta killa, ...

Roger Goodell's Beautify the NFL Campaign-No Violence-No Criminals-No Fun

I remember Marshawn Lynch

"(Ole Miss QB) Bo Wallace is one of those types of quarterbacks who is always trying to save the city but he's actually burning it down." -- NFC director of scouting
DeathbyStat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 01:14 PM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
while a agree with you i think that mcfadden and *** are 2 of the best tackling CBs in the league...look at how far that has gotten us with those two.

it seems like our coaching staff turns everyone into a good tackler, something they really stress and that IS something that can be taught...being a good cover guy is harder to come by, it might be something worth trying. (havent really seen alot of carmichael as opposed to some past hokies and some future stud DBs on that team) but i do think the steelers might have some genuine interest in him
I would say McFadden is pretty damn solid. He has just had injury issues the past few seasons, which effected his play.
Old 04-01-2011, 01:14 PM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Marcus Gilbert, James Carpenter, and Jarriel King are visiting today.
Old 04-01-2011, 01:24 PM    (permalink
K Train
All-Pro

K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hines View Post
I would say McFadden is pretty damn solid. He has just had injury issues the past few seasons, which effected his play.
i really really liked mcfadden as a rookie, i thought he was gonna be great and his potential was unreal. he did regress since then and after flopping in AZ he came back here and didnt impress....injuries were there, but as fara s a corner goes i think hes become a liability. hes a great tackler, but not to great in coverage anymore.

really the entire seconary other than ike is a liability in coverage and needs to be adjusted.

*** is a good blitzer, a good NB but shouldnt be matched up on TO and TEs like gronkowski like he was all year and got raped on both occasions, mcfadden was picked on alot and really makes you appreciate his tackling ability sometimes, clark is so slow and cant overcome troys overagrressivness which is something we need so bad in a FS since troy just torpedos himself everywhere.

id be perfectly ok with aaron williams in the first as a FS/CB and then curtis brown or ras-i in the second...hell id take deunta williams or quinton carter too and just overhaul the RCB, NB, and FS spot

just like oline was before pouncey, CB is a spot thats been ignored for too long or addressed pathetically in the later rounds the last 5 years

Last edited by K Train : 04-01-2011 at 01:28 PM.
K Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 01:25 PM    (permalink
K Train
All-Pro

K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Marcus Gilbert, James Carpenter, and Jarriel King are visiting today.
id definitely like gilbert
Old 04-01-2011, 10:21 PM    (permalink
DeathbyStat
Pro Bowler

DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DeathbyStat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Players that you would punch a hole in the wall if we draft?

I can't really think of any off the top of head......

I guess Jimmy Smith if his off the field stuff is true. And Clayborn as his medical scares the hell out of me.

Also Baldwin would be a luxury pick we can't afford

Mike Tirico

"(Ole Miss QB) Bo Wallace is one of those types of quarterbacks who is always trying to save the city but he's actually burning it down." -- NFC director of scouting
Old 04-01-2011, 10:30 PM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

Nate Solder.
Old 04-02-2011, 09:15 PM    (permalink
ellsy82
Veteran

ellsy82 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ellsy82 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ellsy82 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ellsy82 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ellsy82 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ellsy82 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ellsy82 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ellsy82 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ellsy82 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ellsy82 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ellsy82 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Would you guys be opposed with this draft?

1. Derek Sherrod, OT, Miss St
Unlike Solder, Sherrod has the strength and diversity to start out on the right side and eventually move over to the left. A little raw, but the potential is there.

2. Ras-I Dowling, CB, Virginia
Once the second or third CB on the board, a senior season marred by injury have really dropped his stock. He showed at the combine that he's healthy. When you go back and look at his junior tape, its amazing that he's not a first round lock.

3. Chris Conte, FS, California
One year wonder? Maybe, but he has the athleticism, protypical size and speed to really help out in the secondary. It'd actually be nice to draft a free safety with some sort of coverage ability. He's a very willing tackler and has youth on his side.

4. John Moffitt, OG, Wisconsin
Moffitt would be the perfect compliment to Pouncey on the inside, the type of pulling guard that our scheme can use. Would be a value pick here that fits a HUGE need.

5. Julius Thomas, TE, Portland St
Kind of a sleeper pick before the combine. This type of TE set would provide a matchup problem for any defense. Solid blocker and great pass catcher. This is not another Matt Spaeth.

6. David Carter, DE, UCLA
Prototypical LDE for our scheme. Shows the athleticism to latch on to blockers and create gaps. Would be a bit of a project, but so was Keisel and Harrison.

7. Blaine Sumner, NT, Colorado School of Mines
Sleeper, but this late in the draft I don't believe I'd let him test the UDFA road. He seems more of a weight-lifter than a football player right now. Another project, but his strength alone should warrant being drafted.

I just completed an exhausting 7 round mock, and that's where I ended up at.

Last edited by ellsy82 : 04-02-2011 at 09:37 PM.
ellsy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 12:36 PM    (permalink
DeathbyStat
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Nate Solder.
Yeah i think he is one of the guys most likely to bust

Mike Tirico

Old 04-03-2011, 12:42 PM    (permalink
DeathbyStat
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellsy82 View Post
Would you guys be opposed with this draft?

1. Derek Sherrod, OT, Miss St
Unlike Solder, Sherrod has the strength and diversity to start out on the right side and eventually move over to the left. A little raw, but the potential is there.

2. Ras-I Dowling, CB, Virginia
Once the second or third CB on the board, a senior season marred by injury have really dropped his stock. He showed at the combine that he's healthy. When you go back and look at his junior tape, its amazing that he's not a first round lock.

3. Chris Conte, FS, California
One year wonder? Maybe, but he has the athleticism, protypical size and speed to really help out in the secondary. It'd actually be nice to draft a free safety with some sort of coverage ability. He's a very willing tackler and has youth on his side.

4. John Moffitt, OG, Wisconsin
Moffitt would be the perfect compliment to Pouncey on the inside, the type of pulling guard that our scheme can use. Would be a value pick here that fits a HUGE need.

5. Julius Thomas, TE, Portland St
Kind of a sleeper pick before the combine. This type of TE set would provide a matchup problem for any defense. Solid blocker and great pass catcher. This is not another Matt Spaeth.

6. David Carter, DE, UCLA
Prototypical LDE for our scheme. Shows the athleticism to latch on to blockers and create gaps. Would be a bit of a project, but so was Keisel and Harrison.

7. Blaine Sumner, NT, Colorado School of Mines
Sleeper, but this late in the draft I don't believe I'd let him test the UDFA road. He seems more of a weight-lifter than a football player right now. Another project, but his strength alone should warrant being drafted.

I just completed an exhausting 7 round mock, and that's where I ended up at.
Haven't watched enough of Sherrod can't really trash the pick

I want to like Dowling but he just can't stay healthy if he falls to the 3rd or fourth i would give him a shot

Colorado School of Mines, thats a new one

Mike Tirico

Old 04-04-2011, 01:39 AM    (permalink
ellsy82
Veteran

ellsy82 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ellsy82 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ellsy82 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ellsy82 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ellsy82 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ellsy82 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ellsy82 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ellsy82 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ellsy82 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ellsy82 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ellsy82 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Too be honest...I've never heard of the place either, but the dude benched 49 at 225 and that's something. You could spend a second rounder of Paea and get more production early, or draft this guy and teach him a thing or two. We do have time. Hampton might be slowing down, but he's not done. We've been in the top 3 of NFL defenses the last 5 years. I guess we'll see how the draft works out. Here's his link on nfldraftscout.com:

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...2011&genpos=DT
Old 04-08-2011, 09:42 AM    (permalink
K Train
All-Pro

Ras-i dowling visits today....so happy. PEttis and a few others as well
Old 04-09-2011, 06:28 PM    (permalink
DeathbyStat
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Ras-i dowling visits today....so happy. PEttis and a few others as well
I want to like Dowling but dude can't stay healthy, Love pettis, the kinda of WR we need to replace Hines

How about this mock?

1.Aaron Williams CB Texas

2.Marcus Cannon G TCU

3.Marcus Gilbert OT Florida

4.Taiwan Jones RB Eastern Washington

5.Cortez Allen CB The Citadel

6.Mario Addison LB Marshall

7.Frank Kearse DT Alabama A&M

Mike Tirico

Old 04-10-2011, 09:52 AM    (permalink
Jakey
All-Pro

Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jakey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathbyStat View Post
I want to like Dowling but dude can't stay healthy, Love pettis, the kinda of WR we need to replace Hines

How about this mock?

1.Aaron Williams CB Texas

2.Marcus Cannon G TCU

3.Marcus Gilbert OT Florida

4.Taiwan Jones RB Eastern Washington

5.Cortez Allen CB The Citadel

6.Mario Addison LB Marshall

7.Frank Kearse DT Alabama A&M

I would be fine with this!
Old 04-11-2011, 09:12 AM    (permalink
K Train
All-Pro

i dont think one year of injury is enough to label him injury prone...he plays tough through injuries and 2 years in a pro s&c program he will beef up his lower body, timmons was injury prone until he got bigger and more durable, i think that might be what dowling needs
Old 04-12-2011, 12:23 PM    (permalink
DeathbyStat
Pro Bowler

Some interesting prospects.....

Kevin Hughes OT SE Louisiana

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKDRDdBFOOw

Byron Bell OT New Mexico State

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYd8mzD5qnE

Nasty~!

I think he is a guard

Mike Tirico

Old 04-12-2011, 03:52 PM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

Phil Taylor is visiting today. I don't think Hughes would fit our scheme IIRC.
Old 04-12-2011, 04:52 PM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

I made three mock drafts today, which includes one trade down mock.

Mock one:

1) Cameron Heyward De Ohio State
2) James Carpenter OT/OG Alabama
3) Curtis Marsh CB Utah State
4) Austin Pettis WR Boise State
5) Da'Rel Scott RB Maryland
6) Mario Harvey LB Marshall
7) Frank Kearse NT Alabama A&M

Mock Two:

1) Aaron Williams CB Texas
2) Kenrick Ellis NT/DE Hampton
3) Greg Little WR UNC
4) Marcus Gilbert OT Florida
6) Alex Henery K Nebraska
7) Mario Harvey LB Marshall

Mock Three:

Trade down from 31 to early second and get a fourth rounder

2a) Ras-I Dowling CB Virginia
2b) Sam Acho OLB Texas
3) Will Rackley G Leigh
4a) Marcus Gilbert OT Florida
4b) Austin Pettis WR Boise State
Old 04-12-2011, 05:22 PM    (permalink
ellsy82
Veteran

Quote:
I made three mock drafts today, which includes one trade down mock.

Mock Three:

Trade down from 31 to early second and get a fourth rounder

2a) Ras-I Dowling CB Virginia
2b) Sam Acho OLB Texas
3) Will Rackley G Leigh
4a) Marcus Gilbert OT Florida
4b) Austin Pettis WR Boise State
I think a trade down would be idea, but not probable. I mean, when has Colbert traded up or down in the first round while Tomlin has been there? I'd like it this way.

2a) Ras-I Dowling, CB
2b) Marcus Cannon, OT/OG
3) John Moffit, OG
4a) Roc Carmichael, CB
4b) Deunta Williams, FS
5) Alex Hener, K - I think he'll go before the six round
6) Charlie Gantt, TE
7) Frank Kearse, NT
Old 04-12-2011, 05:59 PM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

Quote:
I think a trade down would be idea, but not probable. I mean, when has Colbert traded up or down in the first round while Tomlin has been there? I'd like it this way.

2a) Ras-I Dowling, CB
2b) Marcus Cannon, OT/OG
3) John Moffit, OG
4a) Roc Carmichael, CB
4b) Deunta Williams, FS
5) Alex Hener, K - I think he'll go before the six round
6) Charlie Gantt, TE
7) Frank Kearse, NT
I like Roc, but the dude does not tackle nor is he explosive. I'd pass.
Old 04-12-2011, 09:03 PM    (permalink
ellsy82
Veteran

Quote:
I like Roc, but the dude does not tackle nor is he explosive. I'd pass.
We need a slot guy with the ball skills to make splash plays as our #3 corner, we currently don't have that on the roster. I agree that his tackling needs work. Every time I've seen him try to tackle he flings his body at the guy like a torpedo, doesn't wrap up, and the only way he stops the play is with additional help.

However, we're talking about a slot corner...a guy that's gonna cover the center part of the field for the most part. He'll have help from the safeties and linebackers. And lets not forget that he'll have plenty of veteran help in Taylor, McFadden, Polamalu and Clark...as well as Coach Lake to help develop him.
Old 04-13-2011, 09:24 AM    (permalink
K Train
All-Pro

Quote:
Every time I've seen him try to tackle he flings his body at the guy like a torpedo, doesn't wrap up, and the only way he stops the play is with additional help.

sounds like another guy we know with long hair, but its not a big deal when he does it
Old 04-13-2011, 10:02 AM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

Quote:
We need a slot guy with the ball skills to make splash plays as our #3 corner, we currently don't have that on the roster. I agree that his tackling needs work. Every time I've seen him try to tackle he flings his body at the guy like a torpedo, doesn't wrap up, and the only way he stops the play is with additional help.

However, we're talking about a slot corner...a guy that's gonna cover the center part of the field for the most part. He'll have help from the safeties and linebackers. And lets not forget that he'll have plenty of veteran help in Taylor, McFadden, Polamalu and Clark...as well as Coach Lake to help develop him.
Said the same thing about Joe Burnet, and look at what happend. They are very silimar in terms of talent and ball skills. I like all my corners to be able to tackle. Will Gai sucks at playing on the outside, but he's a very good slot corner because he can tackle, blitz, etc. That's what I think a slot corner needs.
Old 04-18-2011, 11:38 PM    (permalink
ellsy82
Veteran

Quote:
Said the same thing about Joe Burnet, and look at what happend. They are very silimar in terms of talent and ball skills. I like all my corners to be able to tackle. Will Gai sucks at playing on the outside, but he's a very good slot corner because he can tackle, blitz, etc. That's what I think a slot corner needs.
Gaye and Maddison suffer from the same thing Ryan Clark does...horrible coverage and ball skills. Gaye can tackle, unless he tries to tackle AP again. He might be marginally better at blitzing than BMac, but when it comes down to it, he's the guy you're going to want to blitz the passer, because if you blitz someone else, you have a great liability in coverage skills in the remainder of your secondary with "Big Play" Bill Gaye back there.

At least Burnett had the added advantage of being a return man. Burnett actually produced in sample sizes due to all the injuries in our secondary two years ago.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:32 AM    (permalink
K Train
All-Pro

i actually KINDA liked burnett, he had the sweet feet in coverage i thought he was way more impressive than lewis.

he was a bad returner though, despite being pretty amazing at it in college ala willie reid