Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2014 NFL Draft Forum

2014 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2014 NFL Draft

Old 04-16-2012, 08:55 PM    (permalink
JohnCandy
Veteran

JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Opinions on Quinton Coples?

With Mike Mayock's recent comments that Coples was un-draftable in his eyes because of work ethic and effort concerns I am wondering what people's opinions of Coples are.

I was shocked that Mayock would reverse course on a prospect like this and make such strong comments.

What are people's opinions of him?

Where do you think he gets drafted after all of this?

JohnCandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 09:09 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

As I said in my rankings, he's the best 43 DE, 34 DE, 43 DT in the draft. He's not going to be a studly sack guy, but his impact on games will be immense.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:39 PM    (permalink
cajuncorey
Rookie

cajuncorey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cajuncorey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cajuncorey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cajuncorey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cajuncorey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cajuncorey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cajuncorey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cajuncorey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cajuncorey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cajuncorey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cajuncorey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i respect mayocks opinion... but he also didnt have darren mcfadden as one of his top 20 players. quinton coples is a feast or famine type of guy but with that said hes a 1st round pick and we saw that capability in the senior bowl. i like him as a LE in a 4-3 and move to DT on 3rd down
cajuncorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 09:44 PM    (permalink
Wrathman
Rookie

Wrathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wrathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wrathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wrathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wrathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wrathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wrathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wrathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wrathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wrathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wrathman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I sent him to the Bears in my mock, but someone could jump in on him earlier.
Wrathman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 09:55 PM    (permalink
Damix
All-Pro

Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If he was sitting there at 32 I'd take him in a heartbeat.
Damix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:22 PM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He reminds me somewhat of Kevin Carter, a guy that can play 4-3 DE and move into DT on certain downs and move their permanently as he ages
mightytitan9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:53 PM    (permalink
superfly69
Rookie

superfly69 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.superfly69 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I think there is a real possibility he drops into the mid-twenties. He absolutely has serious bust potential, but also has the ability and natural skill set, if coached and motivated properly, to be great. At worst I say the Pats draft him with one of their two 1st rounders.
superfly69 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 11:13 PM    (permalink
tjsunstein
Mr. Rodgers' Neighborhood
Icon

tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Its crazy how Mayock can say something and then everyone jumps on it like its been something they've been backing for months. These TV guys are wrong sometimes, too. It's ok to have your own opinion. He's still the best DL prospect in the draft. He's not only good, but he's scheme versatile leaving every team interested.

tjsunstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 11:46 PM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Mayock was positively wet over Robert Ayers who didn't do jack for 4 years at Tennessee, but suddenly he's way down on Coples??

Maybe he's heard something from coaches at UNC about Coples, it can't just be his film.

To say a guy is 'undraftable' is outrageous and I have to believe there's more to this opinion.

Coples is too physically talented to see him sliding out of the top 50.

If he went to a team like the Giants, Ravens, 49ers or Patriots, I could see those type of organizations maximizing his potential.

Just because a guy's measurables say he should have had 20 sacks doesn't mean he's not worthy of being selected.
No program IMO has been more dysfunctional than the Tarheels the last three years so I give Coples a mulligan.

IMO after the 25th pick he's the BPA regardless of position.
Old 04-17-2012, 02:00 AM    (permalink
superfly69
Rookie

superfly69 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.superfly69 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUNBUNCHER View Post

IMO after the 25th pick he's the BPA regardless of position.
I would agree with that. But it doesn't change the fact he has serious bust potential.
superfly69 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 07:57 AM    (permalink
JohnCandy
Veteran

JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JohnCandy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Thank you for the information.

One more question.

Who would you guys rather take Quinton Coples or Chandler Jones?
JohnCandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:03 AM    (permalink
Blackluck
Rookie

Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

As a Patriot fan, C. Jones without question
Blackluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:11 AM    (permalink
tjsunstein
Icon

tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackluck View Post
As a Patriot fan, C. Jones without question
Jones over Coples based on what?

Old 04-17-2012, 08:11 AM    (permalink
tjsunstein
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfly69 View Post
I would agree with that. But it doesn't change the fact he has serious bust potential.
So does everyone else innthe draft. Luck included.

Old 04-17-2012, 08:13 AM    (permalink
FUNBUNCHER
All-Pro

FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FUNBUNCHER is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCandy View Post
Thank you for the information.

One more question.

Who would you guys rather take Quinton Coples or Chandler Jones?
To be honest I haven't seen enough of Chandler Jones to have an insightful opinion, but based off his highlights and measurables, he seems like a guy who could give you similar value to Coples down the road. However Coples is 20# bigger than Jones already with equal/better athleticism with the potential to become a 300# in the NFL.

I don't think any Dlineman in this draft has the potential positional versatility of Quintin Coples.

Last edited by FUNBUNCHER : 04-17-2012 at 08:40 AM.
FUNBUNCHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:18 AM    (permalink
Blackluck
Rookie

Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blackluck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsunstein View Post
Jones over Coples based on what?
The hybrid defense BB runs. Better fit. Jones also has a motor, and Coples apparently does not. Not that I necessarily agree with Mayock (i.e.'Coples is undraftable') but I'm not sure I'd risk a 1 on him, whereas Jones at worst will probably end up as a solid player (with lots of potential to be a high impact one.)
Blackluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:20 AM    (permalink
tjsunstein
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUNBUNCHER View Post
To be honest I haven't seen enough of Chandler Jones to have an insightful opinion, but based off his highlights and measurables, he seems like a guy who could give you similar value to Coples down the road. However Coples is 20# bigger than Jones already with equal/better athleticism with the potential to become a 300# in the NFL.

I don't any Dlineman in this draft has the potential positional versatility of Quintin Coples.
Coples is a better version of Jones, although they're both seen as clay by teams right now in the sense that they can mold them into whatever position fits the team best.

Old 04-17-2012, 08:34 AM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsunstein View Post
Coples is a better version of Jones, although they're both seen as clay by teams right now in the sense that they can mold them into whatever position fits the team best.

And Coples is already there, while Jones would be better to add some weight and play a Jason Jones like role.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:41 AM    (permalink
tjsunstein
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackluck View Post
The hybrid defense BB runs. Better fit. Jones also has a motor, and Coples apparently does not. Not that I necessarily agree with Mayock (i.e.'Coples is undraftable') but I'm not sure I'd risk a 1 on him, whereas Jones at worst will probably end up as a solid player (with lots of potential to be a high impact one.)
If there's someone in this conversation that has potential to be a high impact player, its Coples. The hybrid defense works in Coples favors moreso than Jones'. I get the motor concern, but even so Coples is more talented. Scott has Coples as an underchiever yet he managed 10 sacks in his Junior year compared to Jones' 10 in his career. For those who don't know, Jones was A 3 year starter and Coples started just 2 years. Im really surprised that a guy coming off a knee injury which led him to miss 5 games is even considered a better value than someone with a ton more talent and effort concerns.

Old 04-17-2012, 08:42 AM    (permalink
K Train
All-Pro

K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i love him as a 34 DE, similar to chris canty in that regard.

NC has a lot of problems, but the players seem to do ok in the real world. he had a great senior bowl didnt he? thats encouraging at least

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saints-Tigers View Post
"He won't be able to just use his arm power to throw defenders around at the next level!"

The hell he won't, lol.
K Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:53 AM    (permalink
villagewarrior
Pro Bowler

villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like Coples and I think any talk of him slipping out of the top 15 will be proven wrong. He has all the potential in the world and has shown he can be productive against good teams in the ACC. I think if he can go to a coach that will light a fire under his toes a team will be very happy with him.
villagewarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:09 AM    (permalink
hedzookeeper
Rookie

hedzookeeper hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I am hoping if he falls to KC at 11 then NE will send the 27th+31th and draft him at that spot. I feel that he is the new "Seymour" that the Patriots have been looking for.
hedzookeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 11:14 AM    (permalink
SenorGato
Pro Bowler

SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SenorGato is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think Coples is going to be a beast if he ends up with one of the creative defenses....He's a legit possibility at 16 and I don't see him getting past that if he makes it there at all (which teams would be crazy to let happen).

Much better prospect than Chandler Jones, who I like but haven't seen enough of.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:19 AM    (permalink
K Train
All-Pro

K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.K Train is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

in a 43 he would be insanely good on an already good dline. Im talking like the bears with peppers, lions with suh and fairly, or the bills with mario, kyle, and dareus

actually thinking about it the bills should make that happen. brady would be ******** himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saints-Tigers View Post
"He won't be able to just use his arm power to throw defenders around at the next level!"

The hell he won't, lol.
K Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 12:13 PM    (permalink
Lil Quip
Rookie

Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I see him dropping a bit, but nothing catastrophic. I think a combo of bad interviews and the history of this year could scare teams off. I just don't see a Burfict type freefall. Giving up on UNC is disappointing, but really not that surprising. That team was a mess, total loss of institutional control.

Dude has an A plus frame. Bulk up to a 3-4 DE. Lose a few pounds, could be a great elephant OLB.

I just don't see him ever getting past NE's first pick. I think a 'good lockerroom' team could really take advantage. That being said, Carlos Dunlap knocked a bunch of red flags and is having success in Cincinnati.

From the Pats perspective, I really like C. Jones, but more for the fact that he fits size wise and was a realistic pick. I still think C Jones is the realistic fit, but I pick Coples every day of the week.
Lil Quip is offline   Reply With Quote