Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Green Bay Packers Team Forum

Green Bay Packers Team Forum Discuss the Cheeseheads

Old 03-09-2011, 02:15 AM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Questions about QB Matt Flynn

First, congratulations on winning the Super Bowl as I was cheering for the Packers to win since I despise the Steelers. :)

Second, im a 49ers fan and have a few questions about your backup QB Matt Flynn.

With Flynn having one year on his contract and possibly being an UFA in 2012, what are the chances the Packers trade him this off-season? Also, what is Flynn's trade value?

I'm hoping the 49ers go after Flynn via trade and while most think that it's high, I wouldnt mind seeing the 49ers trade their 3rd rounder to GB for Flynn.

Thanks in advance for any info.
dan77733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 07:26 AM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan77733 View Post
First, congratulations on winning the Super Bowl as I was cheering for the Packers to win since I despise the Steelers. :)

Second, im a 49ers fan and have a few questions about your backup QB Matt Flynn.

With Flynn having one year on his contract and possibly being an UFA in 2012, what are the chances the Packers trade him this off-season? Also, what is Flynn's trade value?

I'm hoping the 49ers go after Flynn via trade and while most think that it's high, I wouldnt mind seeing the 49ers trade their 3rd rounder to GB for Flynn.

Thanks in advance for any info.
It's never easy to accurately predict what a player's trade value would be, but I'm pretty sure:
A) The team does not want to trade Matt Flynn because they're very confident in him being able to manage the offense if Rodgers misses some time with concussion or injury, so:

B) They would definitely not trade him for anyone's 3rd round pick. I suspect a 2nd round offer might get us to consider it. I can't imagine anyone offering a late 1st rounder for him, although you never know.
J-Mike88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 08:53 AM    (permalink
CheeseKnuckles
Rookie

CheeseKnuckles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CheeseKnuckles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CheeseKnuckles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CheeseKnuckles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CheeseKnuckles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CheeseKnuckles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CheeseKnuckles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CheeseKnuckles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CheeseKnuckles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CheeseKnuckles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CheeseKnuckles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Seahawks swapped the 40th pick in the second round with San Diego's 60th pick and also will send the Chargers a third-round pick in the 2011 draft. This was for Charlie Whitehurst, a guy who had never thrown a pass in a regular season game at that time.

I have read something that Flynn's value will be gauged on this trade. So if Flynn has actually played a regular season game and almost won it. I would only assume the Packers will demand at least a 2nd round swap and also a 3rd.
CheeseKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 01:49 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

In all seriousness though, why would Ted trade Matt Flynn? Think about it.

We just won the Super Bowl with 15 guys on IR.
All of them minus a couple guys will be back with us competing for jobs or assured of jobs that Super Bowl winning-players already had.

Plus we have 8 more draft picks.

Why would Ted trade a solid, safe backup QB who knows this system, has had 3 years in this system, and just proved that he can run this system in primetime at the AFC's #1 seed? For another draft pick? Makes no sense the more you look at it.
Old 03-09-2011, 02:05 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The main reason I think GB would trade Flynn is if Flynn wants to compete for a starting spot which wont happen in GB. If Flynn doesnt want to stay in GB, it would be better for them to trade him and get something in return instead of letting him leave for free in 2012. If the new CBA allows players to be UFA's after four seasons and if Flynn doesnt want to re-sign with GB because he wants a chance at being a starter, it would make a lot of sense for GB to trade him this off-season. Because, if Flynn becomes an UFA in 2012, there's no way in hell that Thompson would franchise him so he would be gone with nothing in return.

I think Thompson trading Flynn depends on Flynn. If he's content with being a backup to Rodgers, then he'll eventually sign an extension but if he's not and wants to at least compete for a starting spot, he'll decline any extension GB offers him and if your Thompson and know that the guy will leave for free in a year, why wouldnt he trade him and get something in return for him instead of letting him leave for free?
Old 03-09-2011, 04:12 PM    (permalink
CheeseKnuckles
Rookie

CheeseKnuckles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CheeseKnuckles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CheeseKnuckles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CheeseKnuckles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CheeseKnuckles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CheeseKnuckles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CheeseKnuckles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CheeseKnuckles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CheeseKnuckles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CheeseKnuckles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CheeseKnuckles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Exactly if he is going to leave either way win his contract is up, then why not get something for him. I think it makes sense to say we don't need a bunch of picks this year, but what also makes sense is being able to have more high rd draft picks. If we were able to recieve what I posted earlier, we would have a 1st a higher 2nd than what we have now and 2 3rd rders. That isn't a bad thing.

I wouldn't be suprised if we move up in the draft this year, giving away a few picks to get more of a quality player. If someone that is high on TT draft board is around in the mid 20s I think he'll pull the trigger and trade up for a real difference maker rather than have a bunch of unecessary picks this year.
CheeseKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 04:22 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheeseKnuckles View Post
Exactly if he is going to leave either way win his contract is up, then why not get something for him. I think it makes sense.....
Sure makes sense to us, but if we've paid attention, that's not how Ted operates.
We all saw the writing on the wall with a guy like Aaron Kampman and the switch to stand-up OLB.
Everyone thought we'd trade him and get something of value for him since he'd not fit in this system and he'd choose to flee after the season.

Ted did not agree with us, and we lost Kamp in free agency. That might very well happen again with Flynn, but to expect Ted to change his MO now after it's taken us to a Super Bowl, I would never bet on that.

The only way I could see him doing that if Graham Harrell has really showing signs of progress behind the scenes as Rodgers did in year 2 & 3. That would be a serious luxury if that could happen and we could turn 7th round Flynn into a 2nd round bonus pick.
Old 03-10-2011, 06:52 PM    (permalink
umphrey
Pro Bowler

umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

McCarthy went on record saying that Matt Flynn will not be traded and he would probably try to re-sign him next year.

Thanks to BK for the sig
umphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 05:42 PM    (permalink
GB12
Team Leader
Icon

GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mike88 View Post
In all seriousness though, why would Ted trade Matt Flynn? Think about it.

Why would Ted trade a solid, safe backup QB who knows this system, has had 3 years in this system, and just proved that he can run this system in primetime at the AFC's #1 seed? For another draft pick? Makes no sense the more you look at it.
It makes perfect sense. Flynn has one year left on his contract. After this year, he's gone. If we trade him now we get something in return for him. If we keep him, he leaves for nothing. If we get anything close to a decent offer we should take it. The draft picks are worth more than a backup QB. With, say a third rounder, Ted Thompson can find a solid starter or key contributor. Would you rather have multiple years of a James Jones/JerMichael Finely/Morgan Burnett, or one year of a backup QB?

Quote:
Sure makes sense to us, but if we've paid attention, that's not how Ted operates.
We all saw the writing on the wall with a guy like Aaron Kampman and the switch to stand-up OLB.
Everyone thought we'd trade him and get something of value for him since he'd not fit in this system and he'd choose to flee after the season.

Ted did not agree with us, and we lost Kamp in free agency. That might very well happen again with Flynn, but to expect Ted to change his MO now after it's taken us to a Super Bowl, I would never bet on that.
Keeping Kampman is not the same. They were hoping that he could carry his skill over to be a force at OLB, it just didn't quite happen (although he wasn't as bad as people like to think).

Quote:
Originally Posted by umphrey View Post
McCarthy went on record saying that Matt Flynn will not be traded and he would probably try to re-sign him next year.
That's what he's supposed to say. That doesn't mean it's the truth. There's a chance it could be, but it also could be to not show our hand, lose leverage, etc. Flynn is not going to re-sign with us. He'd be stupid to do that. Based on the Patriots game alone, multiple teams will be willing to give him a shot at starting and more money.
Old 03-12-2011, 07:40 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

Kampman's situation/position was different sure, but it was still the same concept. Most of us thought he was miscast and that they should deal him for a nice pick.
Ted doesn't operate like that, and he won't with Matt Flynn. Watch and see. Flynn will remain a Packer thru the next season, guarantee, and it's no surprise because it's very similar (although not exact) to the path with Kampman.
Old 03-13-2011, 10:01 AM    (permalink
cvv84
Pro Bowler

cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Arrow

Quote:
Kampman's situation/position was different sure, but it was still the same concept. Most of us thought he was miscast and that they should deal him for a nice pick.
I thought it was quite the opposite actually. Kampman is pretty athletic for a big man and he came into Iowa as a linebacker so it wasn't so unrealistic that he couldn't make the transition. A few years before that Greg Ellis made the same transition and had a career season. Kampman was a fan favorite and we lacked players at the OLB position so keeping him was the right decision and I feel like the majority of people will agree with that.

Quote:
Ted doesn't operate like that, and he won't with Matt Flynn. Watch and see. Flynn will remain a Packer thru the next season, guarantee, and it's no surprise because it's very similar (although not exact) to the path with Kampman.
I think it could really go 50/50 with Flynn. The biggest determining factor is going to be the CBA and when free agency/trades are going to be allowed. That's the reason why the 49ers keep talking up Alex Smith as their QB. Teams can't afford to bring in a new QB later than in a typical offseason and have them try to learn their offense and gain chemistry with the players. Its also why alot of head coaches have stuck around instead of getting fired, i.e. Marvin Lewis, Gary Kubiak, and Tony Sporano.

Flynn may very well remain a Packer this season but his trade value isn't going to get much higher and we'd be foolish not to trade him for a 2nd-4th round pick.
Old 03-13-2011, 11:56 AM    (permalink
EvilMonkey
Veteran

EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EvilMonkey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

he wont be traded. I don't get the "let's get something out of him while we still can" thoughts. Who would our backup be exactly if we trade him?? His best value to the team is being on the team as the backup QB and MM and TT see that.
Old 03-13-2011, 01:34 PM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Meh. I don't see the Packers trading their backup QB, whom they've been grooming for a few years, after Rodgers suffered multiple concussions this past season. Additionally, they could let him walk in free agency and likely receive a third-rounder in compensation anyway. Dan, you'd have to blow them away with a better offer than just a third. Finally, the Packers are Super Bowl contenders. You don't trade your backup QB at this point for a marginal third round upgrade.

I'm sorry Brian Sabean. I was wrong. I think I might have been right, but you have Scoreboard.
Borat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 05:28 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

I can understand why the Packers would not want to trade Flynn but I think that it has more to do with him than management because if Flynn wants to ever be a starter or at least compete for a starting spot, it sure as hell wont be in GB as long as Rodgers is there.

There's no guarantee that the Packers would get a 3rd rounder in compensation if they let him leave as an UFA. After all, he's not a starter so even if he leaves in a year as an UFA, I dont think GB will get a 3rd rounder as compensation in return.

Personally, I have always thought that if you're going to lose a player in a year, mine as well trade him and get whatever you can for him in return.

I think a 3rd rounder for Flynn is enough for him because GB could easily draft a QB to replace him with that 3rd rounder or even move up if needed. No team is going to offer more than a 3rd for a QB who only started one game and played a half in another in three years. If anything, a 3rd is high for Flynn but I would much rather trade away a 3rd for Flynn instead of anyhting higher for Kolb or Orton.

Anyway, this isnt the 49ers forum, its the Packers forum so im done posting in this topic but thanks to all the Packer fans here for answering my questions about Flynn. It's appreciated.
Old 03-13-2011, 05:39 PM    (permalink
cvv84
Pro Bowler

cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cvv84 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Meh. I don't see the Packers trading their backup QB, whom they've been grooming for a few years, after Rodgers suffered multiple concussions this past season. Additionally, they could let him walk in free agency and likely receive a third-rounder in compensation anyway. Dan, you'd have to blow them away with a better offer than just a third. Finally, the Packers are Super Bowl contenders. You don't trade your backup QB at this point for a marginal third round upgrade.
Not exactally how it works.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:39 AM    (permalink
Coombser
Rookie

Coombser is a cocksman.Coombser is a cocksman.Coombser is a cocksman.Coombser is a cocksman.Coombser is a cocksman.

Can't see us trading Flynn unless a ridiculous offer comes in. The guy knows the offense, has been in the system and apart from anything else, the style of Rodgers' play does increase his risk of taking hits on the run.

As to Flynn himself - I think part of the reason he showed so well is because there's precious little tape on the guy - if he has to step in more often I suspect teams will find ways to get at the guy's weaknesses.
Coombser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 08:43 AM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilMonkey View Post
he wont be traded. I don't get the "let's get something out of him while we still can" thoughts. Who would our backup be exactly if we trade him?? His best value to the team is being on the team as the backup QB and MM and TT see that.
Right, this is the bottom line truth, really there's no discussion here other than a few fans ideas. The Packers themselves have no interest, desire, or plans to trade their backup QB at this point in time, especially with Rodgers coming off the concussions.

Plus don't forget this CBA mess.... which I think helps the Packers a lot because it's going to limit off-season movement on teams. We're stable. Most teams aren't. We all get to draft -maybe- but we also get 15 people off IR if we want them.
Old 03-14-2011, 05:28 PM    (permalink
cvv84
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Right, this is the bottom line truth, really there's no discussion here other than a few fans ideas. The Packers themselves have no interest, desire, or plans to trade their backup QB at this point in time, especially with Rodgers coming off the concussions.

Plus don't forget this CBA mess.... which I think helps the Packers a lot because it's going to limit off-season movement on teams. We're stable. Most teams aren't. We all get to draft -maybe- but we also get 15 people off IR if we want them.
That's the only reason. If the Packers are offered a descent pick for Flynn they'd take it, as they should. Its all a game and until a new CBA is reached we won't know the ending. The longer the wait the greater the odds of Flynn returning.

Plus how many teams can afford to lose their starting QB and still remain a playoff team? Flynn is solid and showed some promise but realistically, if gameplanned for I think we'd be in trouble. He still lacks the experience and there's game tape on him now.