Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Minnesota Vikings Team Forum

Minnesota Vikings Team Forum Discuss the Vikings

Old 03-22-2007, 12:50 PM    (permalink
bonzi
Rookie

bonzi hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default David Carr

Well, now this it's a sure thing the Texans are looking to trade him, do you think we should make a move for him. He might be able to do some good things if we sure up our o-line, a good O-Line is somthing he hasn't had has he's been sacked almost 250 times in his years with the Texans. It might be a good idea, even if your going with T.Jack to sure things up.
bonzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 02:54 PM    (permalink
Severe Punishment
Veteran

Severe Punishment hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

If we decide we want him...the earliest we'd look to trade for him would be after our 1st round pick. I'm pretty sure the team is holding on to the smallest notion that Quinn is still going to fall to us at 7.

I wouldn't hate Carr coming here, I like him over Trent Green or Jake Plummer but I wouldn't love it either. If he came here we'd have to look at him realistically.
He's a 5 year starter with 200+ sacks on his body. Has never thrown for
more than 16 td's in a year has more career INT's than TD's.
Right now he's worth (to me) nothing more than a 08 4th round pick.
Severe Punishment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 03:48 PM    (permalink
The Dynasty
Pro Bowler

The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severe Punishment View Post
If we decide we want him...the earliest we'd look to trade for him would be after our 1st round pick. I'm pretty sure the team is holding on to the smallest notion that Quinn is still going to fall to us at 7.
True. It could become a Draft Day Trade like the Javon and Bronco's deal. I would agree i wouldnt hate it but id be worried about him producing.

Vikings | Yankees | Magic | Sabres | Chelsea FC | Alabama | St. Bonaventure
The Dynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 08:39 PM    (permalink
swagger
Veteran

swagger hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I heard today somewhere that he will probably get released, not traded. The NFL knows that with the deal that Schaub signed and given what they gave up for him, he is their guy.

Carr will get released, IMO.

sig by vikes99ej

RIP Sean Taylor
4/1/1983 - 11/27/2007
swagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 09:31 PM    (permalink
Severe Punishment
Veteran

During their press conference today the Texans made it very clear that Schaub was the starter and Carr wasn't needed anylonger....but I don't see them giving away Carr for "nothing" when about 5 teams could use him (Carolina and Philly seem like decent fits).
Old 03-22-2007, 11:29 PM    (permalink
crazyisme
Rookie

crazyisme hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

i agree, but i think carr may be cut by then but who knows

not to mention if we trade for carr before the draft we would lose all leverage with a team who would want to trade up with us thinking we will draft quinn...
crazyisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 12:57 AM    (permalink
Severe Punishment
Veteran

It's pretty safe to say right now that Cleveland and Detroit both have the upper hand in trying to trade down to a team interested in trading up for Quinn...as both have put on the "we want him to" coats.

I think if somehow he gets by both then Washington almost immediately makes a deal. Tampa wants Okoye, Thomas or Calvin...one will be there and Arizona wants Adams, Landry or Thomas...one will be there.
Washington is short picks and might even "short" themselves a little to pick up a few picks this year....if Quinn is around at 6 the Skins' won't be.
If for whatever reasons known to man, he is there at 7 , I think there's little doubt we'd be handing in a card that reads Brady Quinn.
However everyday closer we get to the draft the less likely that seems.
Old 03-23-2007, 03:00 PM    (permalink
swagger
Veteran

Quote:
During their press conference today the Texans made it very clear that Schaub was the starter and Carr wasn't needed anylonger....but I don't see them giving away Carr for "nothing" when about 5 teams could use him (Carolina and Philly seem like decent fits).
Texans released QB David Carr and RB Domanick Williams.
Mar. 23 - 3:57 pm et

I was right, you were wrong.

sig by vikes99ej

RIP Sean Taylor
4/1/1983 - 11/27/2007
Old 03-23-2007, 03:25 PM    (permalink
Severe Punishment
Veteran

Oh well, there's a first time for everything.

I'm awaiting the legions of "fans" who'll now bark and shout that both of these guys should be in purple uni's this year.
Old 03-23-2007, 03:28 PM    (permalink
swagger
Veteran

Quote:
Oh well, there's a first time for everything.

I'm awaiting the legions of "fans" who'll now bark and shout that both of these guys should be in purple uni's this year.
2nd, at least. Remember, you called me a name for saying the Steelers would hire Tomlin as head coach? A name that rhymes with bassist.

sig by vikes99ej

RIP Sean Taylor
4/1/1983 - 11/27/2007
Old 03-23-2007, 03:53 PM    (permalink
The Dynasty
Pro Bowler

The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Today on NFL Live they asked Mark Schelert and Floyd Reese(ex-GM For Titans) both hinted at Carr should go to Minny, because of the Young QB and he would be able to step in. I wouldnt mind getting him for a backup positon but not starting. Davis shouldnt be in purple.

Old 03-23-2007, 03:57 PM    (permalink
Crazy_Chris
Pro Bowler

Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I was skeptical about trading anything for Carr but now that The texans released carr i think we have nothing to lose by signing him to compete with T-Jack
Crazy_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 03:58 PM    (permalink
Severe Punishment
Veteran

Am I the ONLY one here who thinks right now Brooks Bollinger probably goes into training camp as the #1 ?
Old 03-23-2007, 04:02 PM    (permalink
The Dynasty
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Am I the ONLY one here who thinks right now Brooks Bollinger probably goes into training camp as the #1 ?
I think its Tarvaris Jackson and if he loses that #1 spot its his own fault but i think he will be #1.

Old 03-23-2007, 04:05 PM    (permalink
Crazy_Chris
Pro Bowler

Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If Brooks Bollinger is our #1 going into training camp than we reallyyyyy need to sign David Carr or make sure we get Brady Quinn
Crazy_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 04:52 PM    (permalink
swagger
Veteran

Quote:
Yes, and that includes Childress.

sig by vikes99ej

RIP Sean Taylor
4/1/1983 - 11/27/2007
Old 03-23-2007, 04:52 PM    (permalink
Severe Punishment
Veteran

Seriously , Bollinger has more years in the league...probably better prepared (I would hope) not only that he actually looked better prior to his injury than either Johnson or Jackson did all of last year.

Does anyone REALLY believe that Jackson is going to be so far along come week 1 that they can cast him the starter now ?...In April ?
Forget acquiring a QB...of the 2 that are on the roster...who makes more sense to start now ?
Old 03-23-2007, 05:00 PM    (permalink
swagger
Veteran

Quote:
Does anyone REALLY believe that Jackson is going to be so far along come week 1 that they can cast him the starter now ?...In April ? Forget acquiring a QB...of the 2 that are on the roster...who makes more sense to start now ?
Childress. He is the one who drafted him, and then started him. He is the one who met with him in Alabama (while attending Senior Bowl) and discussed offense. He is the one who flew him up to Winter Park to be present for FA signing, i.e. Shinacoe.

Frankly, I think Jackson is destined to fail. He doesn't have the support of offensive playmakers in order to succeed. I think all rookie quarterbacks would be destined to fail, as well. We just don't have the targets.

sig by vikes99ej

RIP Sean Taylor
4/1/1983 - 11/27/2007
Old 03-23-2007, 05:14 PM    (permalink
Severe Punishment
Veteran

Wrong, wrong and wrong. Childress did NOT draft him. Childress started him part out of frustration where the offense was, part because Brad Johnson's talking to the media (a big no no to B.C.) and part because Bollinger was hurt (lack of a better option).
It wasn't really a "choice" when your team went 2-4 and was still in the playoff hunt. He took a gamble, a risk...seeing the results of some of the other drafted QB's and it backfired...not only did the team NOT respond, it went backwards. Unless of course you think 3 first downs in a GAME is a step in the right direction. Furthermore Childress met in Alabama because Jackson drove down there scared out of his mind that the team was going to shelve him after his putrid campaign. They had lunch, seriously, so what ?
Is Childress now suddenly going to throw away his unbiasis because he has a lunch buddy ?
I'd love to see something that said CHILDRESS bought and paid for Jackson to be there for our "big" signing of Shiancoe.
I will say any rookie QB stepping into this situation is probably destined for failure, however when you lack the skills to begin with (both physcially and mental preperation) you don't have a snowballs chance in hades.
Old 03-23-2007, 05:23 PM    (permalink
swagger
Veteran

You don't know any of this, and you can't prove any of this. You don't like Tarvaris, so you are making up crap to make him look bad. That's what you tend to do with most of your opinions (make up facts to support them).

sig by vikes99ej

RIP Sean Taylor
4/1/1983 - 11/27/2007
Old 03-23-2007, 05:27 PM    (permalink
Severe Punishment
Veteran

So this is what happens when I ask you to support your claim ?
Fact is you can't prove that Childress had ANYTHING to do with Jackson getting drafted and you completely made up that crap ,about him being brought up here on Childress' dime , for the signing of Shiancoe.
Old 03-23-2007, 05:35 PM    (permalink
Severe Punishment
Veteran

Here's some quotes from Childress on Carr:

Some have thought David Carr might be on the Vikings radar. But coach Brad Childress was candid in his assessment of Carr, the top overall pick in the 2002 draft. "I always struggled with where his release came from," Childress said. "It's kind of a drop-down, three-quarter, not overhand, over the top release. Just in the tape I've watched [since] he's been in the league, he can make some of the throws, he can't make all the throws. He gets some balls batted [down] at the line of scrimmage just because of where that ball comes from. ... "He's a smart guy, he's a decent athlete but when you're buying a quarterback at this level and you kick the tires, there shouldn't be a lot of things that you're trying to straighten out."

http://www.benmaller.com/archives/2007/march/23#137606

Looks like we might be "set" with Jackson / Bollinger and Henson going into
07...yippie.
Old 03-23-2007, 08:44 PM    (permalink
swagger
Veteran

Quote:
So this is what happens when I ask you to support your claim ?
Fact is you can't prove that Childress had ANYTHING to do with Jackson getting drafted and you completely made up that crap ,about him being brought up here on Childress' dime , for the signing of Shiancoe.
LOL! Childress is a former offensive coordinator and former quarterbacks coach. When the "Triangle of Authority" existed, Zygi said Childress was the main decision-making authority, and said he had the final say on everything.

Are you really ignorant enough to conclude that anybody other than Childress made the final call on Tarvaris Jackson?

sig by vikes99ej

RIP Sean Taylor
4/1/1983 - 11/27/2007
Old 03-23-2007, 09:45 PM    (permalink
Severe Punishment
Veteran

He said he wanted a "diamond in the rough" are you so ignorant that this statement translates to "trade up multiple picks for Cook and Jackson" in ANY way ?

No, and the guy who called that shot was fired.
THE DAY after the draft...coincidence ? I think not.
Old 03-23-2007, 11:36 PM    (permalink
swagger
Veteran

So then it would be safe to say that Tarvaris won't be starting in 07, then, right?

If Tarvaris is starting, it'd be easy to see that he was Childress' baby.

So I guess a few months time will tell, eh? I think you will end up looking foolish, just like when you vehemently bashed me for saying Tomlin would get the Steelers' HC gig.

sig by vikes99ej

RIP Sean Taylor
4/1/1983 - 11/27/2007