Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Minnesota Vikings Team Forum

Minnesota Vikings Team Forum Discuss the Vikings

Old 03-24-2007, 02:54 AM    (permalink
Severe Punishment
Veteran

Severe Punishment hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Why would that be a safe bet ? Childress doesn't have much to work with...he's already said it's an open competition going into next year. Do I like it ? No, do I think Bollinger is the ABOSLUTE starter ? No. Do I think he probably is a step ahead of Jackson AT THIS POINT ? Yes. DOes that mean it can't change ? No.
None of this though has anything to do with being "childress' baby". In fact if The Vikes end up taking a QB AT ALL on draft day will you FINALLY conclude that Jackson was not Childress' pick at all ?

And our arguement was over the D.C of the Vikes for this year...I said I didn't think Tomlin was going anywhere not that he couldn't.
Severe Punishment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 11:39 AM    (permalink
wogitalia
Pro Bowler

wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think we should be looking more at Davis than Carr, though both, if healthy, would be starters for us without a doubt as the team stands(given an unbiased coaching decision).

Carr is better and more talented than any of our QBs and its not even close.

Davis at 75% is a better player than Taylor. If he is less than 75% he should still be a very good backup back and give us a player with a somewhat different style to Chester.

Either way, we should be talking to both. I know we probably wont because we have an arrogant and useless git in charge.

Props to BK on the sig!
wogitalia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 11:47 AM    (permalink
The Dynasty
Pro Bowler

The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://www.startribune.com/510/story/1076522.html

at the bottom bullets it says...

The Vikings have made casual inquiries about free-agent receiver Eric Moulds, released earlier this month by Houston. Moulds, 33, has 732 career receptions for the Texans and Buffalo Bills.

The Vikings told the agent for Houston quarterback David Carr, who was waived Friday, that they are not interested in signing him. They plan to enter training camp with Tarvaris Jackson and Brooks Bollinger competing for the starting job.

So either the vikings are playing the media right now saying where not interested but really are or we are not. But we could have a ex-texan on the team with Moulds and that would save us from using a pick on draft day for another WR other than 2.

Vikings | Yankees | Magic | Sabres | Chelsea FC | Alabama | St. Bonaventure
The Dynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 01:19 PM    (permalink
General Zod
All-Pro

General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severe Punishment View Post

Looks like we might be "set" with Jackson / Bollinger and Henson going into
07...yippie.

Then I forsee another 6-10 season for the Vikes.
General Zod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 01:24 PM    (permalink
DHVF
All-NFLDC

DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Childress' offseason depth chart includes Artis Hicks as the first-team right guard and Ryan Cook as the top right tackle, the Vikings' arrangement for the final three games of last season. Childress said he expects Anthony Herrera to compete with Hicks at right guard and Marcus Johnson to share time with Cook at right tackle during mini-camp drills.
Dammit, why do we continue to play Marcus Johnson at tackle?

DHVF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 01:52 PM    (permalink
Severe Punishment
Veteran

Or anywhere for that matter.

Honestly though we shouldn't be able to justify keeping them on the roster if we have no intentions of playing them.
If they can help, we'll find out this year...what struck me as funny was the team no saying
"They plan to enter training camp with Tarvaris Jackson and Brooks Bollinger competing for the starting job."
Which sounds to me like either they don't anticipate Quinn not being there or not having any interest in him if he is.....the smokescreens are in full effect.

and it pisses me off. The 3 on the roster are not good enough.
Old 03-24-2007, 02:44 PM    (permalink
swagger
Veteran

swagger hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Johnson and Cook are both guards. Neither of them have the quickness or the foot speed to be on an island on the edge. If Childress tries playing either of them at RT, it will be yet another item to add to Childress' long list of misjudgments.

sig by vikes99ej

RIP Sean Taylor
4/1/1983 - 11/27/2007
swagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 03:01 PM    (permalink
The Dynasty
Pro Bowler

The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Say on draft day it comes to the 7th pick and Adams/Quinn/Landry are all gone. Do you think the organization would look at Levi or should they trade back or draft anderson or Okoye/Branch

Last edited by The Dynasty : 03-24-2007 at 03:06 PM.
Old 03-24-2007, 05:40 PM    (permalink
BuckNaked
All-NFLDC

BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dynasty View Post
Say on draft day it comes to the 7th pick and Adams/Quinn/Landry are all gone. Do you think the organization would look at Levi or should they trade back or draft anderson or Okoye/Branch
I would definitely trade down farther and pick up a wide reciever along the lines of a Dwayne Bowe or Robert Meachem.
BuckNaked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 08:08 PM    (permalink
Severe Punishment
Veteran

Levi Brown isn't all that great, I have no idea why I see him going top 12 in some mocks. The guys arms are short he doesn't play with great technique and doesn't have any fire....I'd prefer an Aaron Sears in the 2nd or a Tony Ugoh / Joe Staley later on if we must go RT day 1.
If we take someone at 7 for need an not because they're an elite talent I swear I'm going to mail Childress one of my turds.
Old 03-24-2007, 08:22 PM    (permalink
The Dynasty
Pro Bowler

Quote:
If we take someone at 7 for need an not because they're an elite talent I swear I'm going to mail Childress one of my turds.
Lmao...I'd hope Rick Speilmen speaks up and trades down if that does happen actually.

Old 03-25-2007, 04:21 AM    (permalink
Crazy_Chris
Pro Bowler

Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I cant imagine all three of those gone by our pick i think landry will most likely still be on the board for us but if that came up id like to see some sort of trade down to pick up okoye, branch, bowe, jarret, or willis and maybe levi depending on how far we trade down but i agree with severe i like some of the later prospects for tackle in sears, staley or ugoh
Crazy_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 10:51 PM    (permalink
DHVF
All-NFLDC

DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
A source says Carolina is not high on David Carr's wish list because the presence of Jake Delhomme means the Panthers already have a starter in place. Carr is eyeing Minnesota, where the offensive line is very good and he'd have a chance to start right away.
-- Charlotte Observer

Interesting, although I dunno about our oline being very good.

DHVF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 11:04 PM    (permalink
swagger
Veteran

Rick Spielman will probably pull some terrible deal on draft day. Remember, this is the guy who got outsmarted by one Mike Tice..... Tice convinced him to swap picks (20 and 21, I believe) and also acquired a day one pick. Just completely, completely stupid.

sig by vikes99ej

RIP Sean Taylor
4/1/1983 - 11/27/2007
Old 03-26-2007, 02:52 AM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Wrong, wrong and wrong. Childress did NOT draft him. Childress started him part out of frustration where the offense was, part because Brad Johnson's talking to the media (a big no no to B.C.) and part because Bollinger was hurt (lack of a better option).
It wasn't really a "choice" when your team went 2-4 and was still in the playoff hunt. He took a gamble, a risk...seeing the results of some of the other drafted QB's and it backfired...not only did the team NOT respond, it went backwards. Unless of course you think 3 first downs in a GAME is a step in the right direction. Furthermore Childress met in Alabama because Jackson drove down there scared out of his mind that the team was going to shelve him after his putrid campaign. They had lunch, seriously, so what ?
Is Childress now suddenly going to throw away his unbiasis because he has a lunch buddy ?
I'd love to see something that said CHILDRESS bought and paid for Jackson to be there for our "big" signing of Shiancoe.
I will say any rookie QB stepping into this situation is probably destined for failure, however when you lack the skills to begin with (both physcially and mental preperation) you don't have a snowballs chance in hades.
wasnt tavaris jackson a 3rd rd pick last year? id find it odd to give up on a qb who only played some of his rookie year with not alot of weapons on offense, i mean he was drafted pretty high, so i doubt he had NO physical tools like you say, and yea he was probably shell shocked out there his first year, but why would a coach, or anyone just give up on a player so soon...i dont think he would of been drafted in the 3rd rd to go into his 2nd year behind bollinger, and i dont think that he had ZERO physical or mental tools, otherwise the thousands of people who interviewed him or saw him workout must of missed something

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 02:57 AM    (permalink
Severe Punishment
Veteran

he sux. If we're banking on him for "the future" then the future looks bleak. And he was the last pick in the 2nd round...not the 3rd...but he was projected to be a 4th round pick. We just outsmarted everyone and took him 60 picks to high.

I probably wouldn't be so hard on him if we took him where he was supposed to go. We wasted 2 solid 2nd round selections last year by reaching. If we do that with one of our day 1 picks this year we might
not win 5 games.
Old 03-26-2007, 09:44 AM    (permalink
rchrd
Veteran

rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
wasnt tavaris jackson a 3rd rd pick last year? id find it odd to give up on a qb who only played some of his rookie year with not alot of weapons on offense, i mean he was drafted pretty high, so i doubt he had NO physical tools like you say, and yea he was probably shell shocked out there his first year, but why would a coach, or anyone just give up on a player so soon...i dont think he would of been drafted in the 3rd rd to go into his 2nd year behind bollinger, and i dont think that he had ZERO physical or mental tools, otherwise the thousands of people who interviewed him or saw him workout must of missed something
You're quoting a guy who referred to Brady Quinn as a 'cant miss' QB, has him in the sig, the videos, the links, the mocks etc etc. I dont know about you but I find it hard to take anything he says about Jackson quite so seriously.
Old 03-26-2007, 11:44 AM    (permalink
tylere0814

T Jack was a second round pick. Probably a reach, but we got the guy they wanted so if he fails it's gonna fall on the front office.

Honestly i think TJack has all the tools necessary to be a very good QB. He can scrabble, something we haven't had since the early Daunte days, He's got a rocket for and arm, and once he gains some experience and more importantly gets some help on the offensive side of the ball, I think he's gonna do just fine. Something about him excites me when i watch him, we just need to add a few targets. SO i say if Adrian Peterson is available it's a no brainer, between him and Taylor we'd have a sweet duo in the backfield. And if by some way we were able to court Eric Moulds or another Reciever that TJack would feel comfortable throwing to, i think our offense is strong enough to win more games, and as long as our defense stays tough this season wont be as bad as people are making it out to be. But at the same time, our front office is doing very little to improve thus far... hopefully they've got some kind of plan set in place already, but something tells me they are waiting for draft day to make any major move.
Old 03-26-2007, 03:42 PM    (permalink
Severe Punishment
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rchrd View Post
You're quoting a guy who referred to Brady Quinn as a 'cant miss' QB, has him in the sig, the videos, the links, the mocks etc etc. I dont know about you but I find it hard to take anything he says about Jackson quite so seriously.
We had another "young, athletic, strong armed QB" considered a project from a DI-AA school Anyone wanna take a guess as to whom that was.

And FYI having a sig with Quinn, having his HEISMAN video link, and a link to his biography doesn't have anything to do with the fact that Jackson is a bad project. Was a monumental reach where he was taken and a colossal mistake to put as the starting QB of this team.

Last edited by Severe Punishment : 03-26-2007 at 10:07 PM.
Old 03-26-2007, 04:44 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
he sux. If we're banking on him for "the future" then the future looks bleak. And he was the last pick in the 2nd round...not the 3rd...but he was projected to be a 4th round pick. We just outsmarted everyone and took him 60 picks to high.

I probably wouldn't be so hard on him if we took him where he was supposed to go. We wasted 2 solid 2nd round selections last year by reaching. If we do that with one of our day 1 picks this year we might
not win 5 games.
regardless of where you think he ends up, do you honestly think they would draft a qb 2nd rd, start him his rookie year, then give up on him before he even starts a 2nd year in the offense?

makes no sense, seeing as how a rookie would probably fare the same, or worst then he would, and you cannot accurately judge a qb off just his rookie season starting, i dont think any NFL gm's do much of that, kyle orton yes but he was not a 2nd rd pick

Quote:
Old 03-26-2007, 06:28 PM    (permalink
Severe Punishment
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
regardless of where you think he ends up, do you honestly think they would draft a qb 2nd rd, start him his rookie year, then give up on him before he even starts a 2nd year in the offense?

makes no sense, seeing as how a rookie would probably fare the same, or worst then he would, and you cannot accurately judge a qb off just his rookie season starting, i dont think any NFL gm's do much of that, kyle orton yes but he was not a 2nd rd pick
Justifying starting a guy because you have no other real options isn't a viable excuse. NOT drafting a franchise QB because you reached for a project to start the very next year is boarderline inexcuseable.
I honestly feel as though Childress had planned on signing Brad Johnson to a 1 year deal, that way Jackson or Bollinger would've had 2 season beneath them...but with fans calling for Jackson (well before he was ready) and Johnson being pissed about how he was treated, he bolted.

It would be a bigger mistake for this team to pass on a stud like Quinn because of arrogance or ignorance. I'm guessing Oakland hasn't completely ruled out taking CJ with the first pick. If that happens Cleveland takes Russell and unless a blockbuster deal happens Quinn would be there at 7. If we take him , what are the positives that would be attributed to the pick ?.....and now the negatives. Are they remotely close ?
Old 03-26-2007, 07:07 PM    (permalink
crazyisme
Rookie

crazyisme hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Zod View Post
Then I forsee another 6-10 season for the Vikes.
QB isn't our issue, Jackson will be AT LEAST as good as Johnson was for us last year, with a decent chance to be quite a bit better, if we can put some guys on the field that could catch the ball, then we might actually have a decently balanced offense

but it definately wont be Jackson that slumps us down to the bottom of the NFL, itll be our WR's and their inability to get open/catch the ball and every team throwing NINE in the box because of our inept WRs...
crazyisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 09:21 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

Quote:
Justifying starting a guy because you have no other real options isn't a viable excuse. NOT drafting a franchise QB because you reached for a project to start the very next year is boarderline inexcuseable.
I honestly feel as though Childress had planned on signing Brad Johnson to a 1 year deal, that way Jackson or Bollinger would've had 2 season beneath them...but with fans calling for Jackson (well before he was ready) and Johnson being pissed about how he was treated, he bolted.

It would be a bigger mistake for this team to pass on a stud like Quinn because of arrogance or ignorance. I'm guessing Oakland hasn't completely ruled out taking CJ with the first pick. If that happens Cleveland takes Russell and unless a blockbuster deal happens Quinn would be there at 7. If we take him , what are the positives that would be attributed to the pick ?.....and now the negatives. Are they remotely close ?
the negatives are quinn ends up being decent, or not as good as what jackson will end up being ....unless your going to say brady quinn will be a better NFL qb because he's drafted higher and had a better college career, then its still a big question mark....

you do know that qb's in the top 10 end up being bust right? so seeing as how they invested such a high pick on a qb, you dont draft another one the very next year even higher, how often have you seen that?

thats almost like drafting a qb top 10 one year, then in the first rd the next because another "prospect" comes along and looks nice on paper, so you scratch the old guy because he struggled his rookie year....

Quote:
Old 03-26-2007, 09:59 PM    (permalink
Severe Punishment
Veteran

No it isn't,See you're already saying jackson is GOING to be a good NFL QB....and I ask , based on what ? Because he "looks good" on paper ?
If anything here Jackson has more to prove right now than does Quinn.
Say he comes here. BQ is going to be the backup . Period.
Now Say we end up going 16-0 and win the Super Bowl (idealistically this is one end of the spectrum) what have we lost then ? We'll already be a good team with enough talent to win...so Quinn becomes expendable. Look at Matt Schaub and let's use him as an example. Atlanta "sat" on him for 3 years and in return for him being on the team the traded him to Houston for the equivelant of a 1st round pick. This was Atlanta maximizing the overall value of a 3rd round pick.
So ..under this scenario, we'd be 16-0 while having at the very least an "intreguing" prospect to groom in case of injury. Who would garner at least a high 1st round in return for him.
The Best case scenario would be that both become proven NFL starting QB's.

...now on the flip side. Let's say we go 0-16 (probably more likely considering what the team did the last 9 games last year) now what ?
HOPE that one of the next 2 years QB's is as good or better coming out than a guy who most scouts pegged to start the year as the "best QB prospect of the past decade". Now I realize that Jamarcus Russell benefited from the Tigers / Irish game more than he should have, but in that game he played well...good for him. And probably bipassed Quinn as the "concensus" #1 QB. Which is all fine and dandy. But if you've followed college football for the past 2 years you can't deny that every saturday for 2 years (prior to the LSU / ND game) Quinn was regarded as THE elite prospect over Leinart / Young and every other college QB.
This talent didn't just "go away" after the Irish's loss...it simply was Russell being the 'new' QB of the month.
anyways... the worst case scenario would give the team a FRANCHISE QB (which is very different from a project with limited skills) of which the team would rallly behind. (Something that the team did NOT do behind Jackson)

Now this shouldn't come off as "we need a backup plan" , which someone said it sounded like before. What it is , is taking elite talent and not forcing him into a situation where he'd "HAVE" to do it all himself right away. Jackson / Bollinger are going to be 1/2 to start the year....and it's my opinion that neither is worth jack piss. It's also my opinion you don't pass on elite talent because you have a "maybe" at a position where you need a certainty.
Old 03-26-2007, 10:03 PM    (permalink
swagger
Veteran

Brady Quinn would suck in this Viking offense. So would all rookie quarterbacks.

sig by vikes99ej

RIP Sean Taylor
4/1/1983 - 11/27/2007