Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Green Bay Packers Team Forum

Green Bay Packers Team Forum Discuss the Cheeseheads

Old 04-18-2011, 09:45 PM    (permalink
GoRavens
Veteran

GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Predicted Packers Draft Class

1st, OLB, Justin Houston - Houston's disruptive attacking ability is well worth the risk for a rush-mate opposite Matthews.
-
2nd, DE, Allen Bailey - Another risky type prospect. GB has the luxury of great coaching for the D-Line, something Bailey will so desperately need in his NFL career. Could be a nightmare as a 3-4 DE.
-
3rd, LT, James Brewer - The O-line is getting old, and Brewer brings awesome potential.
-
4th WR, Ronald Johnson - Johnson's a bit underrated, but his game fits perfectly for the Packers passing attack. Tough, reliable, possession type player.
-
4th OG, Clint Boling - Making sure Rogers stays healthy is important. Boling is a proven competitor who's proven to be quite versatile as well.
-
5th ILB, Brian Duncan - A gigantic steal here (Almost had him going to Baltimore, but Nate Irving takes the cake) Extremely versatile, play making, leader that will be at the least an awesome special teams player.
-
6th CB, Buster Skrine - an athletic, return/special teams type player.
-
7 RB, Anthony Allen - I like Allen's game. He's a consistent bruising physical type back.
-
7 OLB, Kenny Rowe. (Again another player I considered in my Ravens mock) Kenny Rowe is a stud. He's a proven consistent pass rusher that could shine given the right opportunities.
Old 04-19-2011, 02:12 AM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

1) Houston is a reach and TT also doesnt like to reach for players he doesnt need. Houston also weighed in at 270 so its pretty obvious he wants to play DE in a 4-3

2)Allen Bailey wont last untill 64

3) James Brewer is a reach, wouldnt take him untill 4b

4a) Dont mind the Johnson pick but its a bit of a reach.

4b) Boling definitely wont last this long. Id be suprised if he fell out the 2nd Round

5) The Duncan pick is my favorite in the whole draft. Would like to see him in Green Bay

Dont know enough about the other guys.
SuperPacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 06:48 AM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

SP, the word "reach" is being overused. Many of Ted's best picks were guys that were taken in those same circumstances.
Nobody here had James Jones as a 3rd round draft pick, or Jordy Nelson being our first pick in 2008.
Nobody here had Nick Collins in the 2nd, coming out of Bethune College, or Josh Sitton out of Central Florida.

If Ted likes a guy, he will take him at least a round earlier than the "consensus" to make sure he gets his guy. If he's right on a guy being a player, what difference does it make to get him a round earlier than you think others will take him?

If Houston bulked up to 270, he's stupid because a lot of 3-4 teams are interested in him. I think there's a better chance he's gone before our pick than he's there... that pick would not be a "reach".
J-Mike88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 07:15 AM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It would be a reach because he isnt first round talent. Just because other teams want to reach for a player it doesnt mean we have to.

Also by reach i mean good value. TT doesnt reach for players he picks the highest player on his board. Houston wont be the top player on our board at 32 so we wont pick him.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:38 AM    (permalink
TimmG6376
Veteran

TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The fact that TT is picking for the most part at the end of each round is a factor as well. While some would call taking a guy at #32 that has a 2nd round grade or 3rd round guy at #64 a "reach", but in that situation if there is a guy you like and you can't trade down what do you do? Most people were surprised by NE taking Mankins where they did. But if they really wanted him and they didn't think he'd last until their next pick is it really a reach? How much more value does the last pick in Round 2 have over a pick in the middle of Round 3?

I think in this position TT may have to "reach" a little to get the guys he wants unless he can find trading partners that will allow him trade down a few spots.

I think there is a solid chance that he could trade out of Round 1. There should be some players available that will be enticing enough for another team to want to jump up to get. Assuming there are a handful of guys he'd be willing to take there and that if the right offer comes he'll take his chances that one of them will still be available in Round 2.
Old 04-19-2011, 01:46 PM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

Yeah but if its a guy they really like then hes gonna be high on their board so then according to their chart itcwont be a reach. What im saying is that Houston wont be the highest player on our board when we pick at 32. If TT really liked him and had him 10th on his board its not a reach even though every other doesnt have him rated 10th
Old 04-19-2011, 02:01 PM    (permalink
bigboiajhawk
Veteran

bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmG6376 View Post
I think there is a solid chance that he could trade out of Round 1. There should be some players available that will be enticing enough for another team to want to jump up to get. Assuming there are a handful of guys he'd be willing to take there and that if the right offer comes he'll take his chances that one of them will still be available in Round 2.
I agree with your reasoning, although it will be pretty difficult for TT to trade back. I mean it is not like we have a great pick and all, and the chances are pretty good that the top 1-10 teams in the 2nd round won't want to trade up. Thus, if TT does pull a move and trade back I would guess it would have to be somewhere in the teen's in the 2nd round. However, guys like Stefan Wisniewski, Orlando Franklin, Leonard Hankerson, Titus Young, Randall Cobb, Jerel Jernigan, Ben Ijalana, Allen Bailey, Jurrell Casey, Dontay Moch, Chris Carter, Ras-I Dowling, Curtis Brown, and Johhny Patrick will all be there (maybe).

I just think if TT really wanted to do something he would trade up and select Gabe Carimi or Anthony Castonzo at the RT position, or Muhammad Wilkerson or Cameron Heyward at DE. I would really like to see him go OT if we do trade up.

If we stay at our current pick I think one of these guys will be taken:

Akeem Ayers, OLB, UCLA - Lost some steam due to slow 40 but has ideal size and coverage ability.

Stephen Paea, DE, OSU - I think he slides while the other DE/DT's go in front of him. I really like Paea, but do we really need to use a 1st rounder on a 3-4 DE?

Brooks Reed, OLB, UA - Between he and Ayers these two are the best 3-4 OLBs that could be there at 32. Brooks is straight power.

Mark Ingram, RB, Auburn - I hate the idea of him falling to us, it seems like a perfect storm meaning we have no need but the guy has talent and if he were to fall like a guy like Arod did, do we just have to select him?

Derek Sherrod, OT, MSU - He could potentially be there, however, there is always a run on OT's in the draft and he might be snagged, could be a decent pick.
bigboiajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 10:02 PM    (permalink
CheeseKnuckles
Rookie

CheeseKnuckles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CheeseKnuckles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CheeseKnuckles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CheeseKnuckles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CheeseKnuckles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CheeseKnuckles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CheeseKnuckles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CheeseKnuckles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CheeseKnuckles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CheeseKnuckles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CheeseKnuckles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmG6376 View Post
The fact that TT is picking for the most part at the end of each round is a factor as well. While some would call taking a guy at #32 that has a 2nd round grade or 3rd round guy at #64 a "reach", but in that situation if there is a guy you like and you can't trade down what do you do? Most people were surprised by NE taking Mankins where they did. But if they really wanted him and they didn't think he'd last until their next pick is it really a reach? How much more value does the last pick in Round 2 have over a pick in the middle of Round 3?

I think in this position TT may have to "reach" a little to get the guys he wants unless he can find trading partners that will allow him trade down a few spots.

TimmG I couldn't agree with you more... picking at the end of the round with the luxury of having quite a bit of talent already on the roster puts TT at the postion where if his guy is available at 96, but almost for sure won't be there next time around, he is probably going to grab him.

Also look for TT to maybe take a few more gambles on prospects who are more projects and may need a little coaching... We are in a good position this year... TT will find the guy he likes and take him regardless, what does he care what people think.

As far as SuperPacker goes, if Patrick Peterson fell to 32, he would be a "reach" because he is not a "need".
CheeseKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 08:46 AM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The way the QB's go in round 1 might give a LOT of power to Teddy Thompson with pick #32. Think about this. That's the end of day 1. For the teams who wanted a QB but didn't take him, they can:

A) Wait a day and hope they can get a deal with NE for pick #33, but they will have some other teams to bid against, and all night long and morning long.....

B) Beat those other teams to the punch and get the 32 pick.

Teddy will have an opportunity to r*pe someone for that pick if he wants to.
Someone like Miami would be perfect. Trade the #32 pick to close our round 1, to the Dolphins (assume they used their #16 pick on Mark Ingram or any non-QB)..... and in turn, receive their 2nd or 3rd rounder, and their 1st rounder next year (2012). There's a chance the Dolphins could have a top 5 pick next year. This would be a gold mine for Teddy. I think he could get their 2nd rounder this year as well, probably would have to throw back a 5th rounder, maybe 6th. But if someone else is knocking at Ted's door for their QB of choice, Teddy can drive the price up.

Mallett, Dalton, Ponder, Kaepernick..... I'm sure Mallett will be gone though.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:11 AM    (permalink
CheeseKnuckles
Rookie

CheeseKnuckles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CheeseKnuckles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CheeseKnuckles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CheeseKnuckles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CheeseKnuckles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CheeseKnuckles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CheeseKnuckles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CheeseKnuckles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CheeseKnuckles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CheeseKnuckles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CheeseKnuckles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think TT could probably manage a swap of 2nd round picks an additional 3rd or 4th, but like you said we'd also probably have to send a late round pick along with the package.

so best case scenario we get:

1 early second rder
2 third rders (if thats what else we could get out of it)
2 fourth rders
no 5th if we send it with the trade package.
1 sixth rder
2 seventh rders

that would be sweet, if that scenario played out.
CheeseKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 09:34 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

Anyone else getting excited for Thursday-Saturday?