Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Tampa Bay Buccaneers Team Forum

Tampa Bay Buccaneers Team Forum Discuss the Bucs

Old 04-01-2012, 01:33 PM    (permalink
kBuc5
Rookie

kBuc5 is a cocksman.kBuc5 is a cocksman.kBuc5 is a cocksman.kBuc5 is a cocksman.kBuc5 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucfan12 View Post
I see Benn and Briscoe going off, but the red flags that made Williams a 4th round pick came into play last off-season.

There were reports when Freeman was running his off-season workouts during the lockout, Mike Williams and Lagarette Blount were no-where to be found.

Mike Williams was the headliner of partying during the season as well. He was over-weight then under-weight and couldn't beat the jam at all off the LOS.

So, to me, having no work ethic is a serious problem.
Freeman was over weight as well, and was rumored to be on the same party circuit. These guys are young, had a taste of success and came into the year over confident, it didn't help that Raheem was out drinking with them. That is over now, Schiano will clean that stuff up. Jackson will push Williams and the rest, back to the original point Blackmon is not even on our board imo and with a full off season for our young WRs I don't think Blackmon would beat out Williams. You think Williams is going to be a bust, fine.
I think the total opposite.
kBuc5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 01:52 PM    (permalink
bucfan12
Pro Bowler

bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kBuc5 View Post
Freeman was over weight as well, and was rumored to be on the same party circuit. These guys are young, had a taste of success and came into the year over confident, it didn't help that Raheem was out drinking with them. That is over now, Schiano will clean that stuff up. Jackson will push Williams and the rest, back to the original point Blackmon is not even on our board imo and with a full off season for our young WRs I don't think Blackmon would beat out Williams. You think Williams is going to be a bust, fine.
I think the total opposite.
HAHA are you serious? When that story broke, all the coaches had nothing but negative things to say about Blount and WIlliams work ethic.

The one positive they said was Josh Freeman, even when most of the team pretty much collapsed, was the first in the building and last to leave, working hard in the film and weight room and on the practice field. No one questioned his work ethic and he was never over-weight. The only thing he said was his playing wieght is 250 and he'll carry and extra 5 lbs to help with the hits he takes through his style of play.

The fact you're questioning Freemans work ethic shows you are not very educated on what happened nor do you check your sources.
bucfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 02:05 PM    (permalink
bucfan12
Pro Bowler

bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You are right, the lack of discipline with the old staff lead by party boy Raheem is gone now.

Heres the article:

Quote:
Mike Williams to Fizzle Out?; Josh Freeman Inaccurately Criticized

Published Jan. 30, 2012
By Charlie Campbell - @draftcampbell

In the midst of a disastrous 4-12 season, there was plenty of chatter about the lack of work ethic for various members of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Former Buc defensive tackle Warren Sapp was critical of the short work days of general manager Mark Dominik. Others said the coaching staff wasn't working hard enough, and plenty of blame went to the players. Since the end of the season, there were some reports from national media members that Tampa Bay Buccaneer quarterback Josh Freeman was one of those players lacking a good work ethic.

After speaking with former coaches from the Bucs, they completely dispute the notion that Freeman wasn't working hard. They felt that Freeman had things to improve, but they were adamant that the effort was there from him. In the first couple of months after Freeman was drafted in 2009, teammates told me he had to pick up the pace, but he did that early in his rookie season. In his young career, Freeman has been attacking his job and putting in the necessary time required by starting quarterbacks. Former Buc coaches said that during the 2011 season, even after Tampa Bay fell out of playoff contention during a 10-game losing streak, Freeman was still working hard and putting in long hours.

Two players who allegedly deserve some criticism for not working hard enough are running back LeGarrette Blount and wide receiver Mike Williams. Sources said both players were not spending the right amount of time preparing their bodies for Sunday. Neither one was hitting the weight room or training room as they should. Former coaches said both players needed to spend regular time in the cold tub and build their bodies in the weight room to play better on Sundays.

Former team staff said Williams in particular was a mess. In the beginning of the season, Williams was struggling to get separation from defensive backs. He thought he was too heavy, so he started losing weight, and by the end of the season, sources said that Williams was too frail and didn't have the strength to fight off jams and re-routes. Williams also was said to be partying a lot at night, and as a result, he was falling asleep during meetings.

One coach said that if Williams doesn't wake up and turn things around, he will have another down year. After that, the Bucs would likely look to replace him, and he could end up hooking on with another team or two before fizzling out of the league. They said they wouldn't be surprised if Williams career fades and he never pans out. If that happens, Williams will indeed become the second coming of Michael Clayton. It is imperative for new head coach Greg Schiano and the new coaching staff to get through to Williams on working harder. Perhaps the disappointing 2011 season will be motivator with Williams halfway through his rookie contract.

Schiano stated he is going to change the culture and create a "Buccaneer Way" of working hard. Schiano inherits some high-effort players in Freeman, defensive tackle Gerald McCoy and guard Davin Joseph. Getting Williams and Blount to fall in line will be vital for Tampa Bay in 2012.

Former Buc coaches bemoaned the lack of talent on the roster, and how much the team is made up of players that have been cut by other teams and dependent on playing late-round picks. They said the last five drafts from the team can only be described as terrible.

Getting the team to overachieve like they did in 2010 is possible for Schiano, and at least he has a quarterback who will do everything he can to make it happen.
Old 04-01-2012, 03:24 PM    (permalink
kBuc5
Rookie

kBuc5 is a cocksman.kBuc5 is a cocksman.kBuc5 is a cocksman.kBuc5 is a cocksman.kBuc5 is a cocksman.

Quote:
HAHA are you serious? When that story broke, all the coaches had nothing but negative things to say about Blount and WIlliams work ethic.

The one positive they said was Josh Freeman, even when most of the team pretty much collapsed, was the first in the building and last to leave, working hard in the film and weight room and on the practice field. No one questioned his work ethic and he was never over-weight. The only thing he said was his playing wieght is 250 and he'll carry and extra 5 lbs to help with the hits he takes through his style of play.

The fact you're questioning Freemans work ethic shows you are not very educated on what happened nor do you check your sources.
You obviously believe everything you read in the newspaper.. Guess you don't par take in Tampa night life either.
Old 04-01-2012, 03:32 PM    (permalink
bucfan12
Pro Bowler

Quote:
You obviously believe everything you read in the newspaper.. Guess you don't par take in Tampa night life either.
I've seen no one who is credible anything but hard worker, dedicated, for QB Josh Freeman. Film=room junkie. The guy works hard. What are you're "
inside sources" that go against several other sources?

Last edited by bucfan12 : 04-01-2012 at 03:37 PM.
Old 04-01-2012, 03:39 PM    (permalink
Legacy
Veteran

Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Legacy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I was being sarcastic. I don't think he's in the same class as the AP's or LT's though, to me he will be a good back at the next level, but you can find good backs all over the place after round 1. Guess it's how much you value RB's and how good you think Richardson will be.
I don't think you lose that much with one of the 2nd round RB's and Blount combo. Grab an elite player at a elite position with that 1st round pick.
If you can "find good backs all over the place after round 1," every team would have one.

Trent Richardson is an elite player and I'm pretty sure he's the #1 player on the board for the Bucs FO.
Old 04-01-2012, 07:54 PM    (permalink
kBuc5
Rookie

Quote:
I've seen no one who is credible anything but hard worker, dedicated, for QB Josh Freeman. Film=room junkie. The guy works hard. What are you're "
inside sources" that go against several other sources?
I never said Freeman did not have a good work ethic. I said he was rumored to be a guy who likes to party. Go grab a drink at World of Beer in Tampa you might run into some Bucs players, lol. My point was that these guys were over confident coming off a 10 win season, they are young, they are going to go out and have a good time. It's not just Mike. He will be fine, you think Jackson signing and new coach Schiano won't light a fire under him? Everyone had a free pass with Morris, not anymore.

"And while Freeman may get a free pass because hes the franchise quarterback, numerous sources have told Buccaneers 101 about Freeman partying around town."

http://www.buccaneers101.com/2012/01...rrette-blount/
Old 04-01-2012, 08:02 PM    (permalink
kBuc5
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legacy View Post
If you can "find good backs all over the place after round 1," every team would have one.

Trent Richardson is an elite player and I'm pretty sure he's the #1 player on the board for the Bucs FO.
Over half the leagues backs last year ran for over a 1000 yards and it would have been over 20 if a few guys didn't go get injured.
No offence guy but im not going to explain why it's not a good idea to take a RB in the top ten, that conversation for me has been beaten to death.
Old 04-01-2012, 10:20 PM    (permalink
bucfan12
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I never said Freeman did not have a good work ethic. I said he was rumored to be a guy who likes to party. Go grab a drink at World of Beer in Tampa you might run into some Bucs players, lol. My point was that these guys were over confident coming off a 10 win season, they are young, they are going to go out and have a good time. It's not just Mike. He will be fine, you think Jackson signing and new coach Schiano won't light a fire under him? Everyone had a free pass with Morris, not anymore.

"And while Freeman may get a free pass because hes the franchise quarterback, numerous sources have told Buccaneers 101 about Freeman partying around town."

http://www.buccaneers101.com/2012/01...rrette-blount/
That story put it to rest, as did most sources and former coaches.

Do players go out and party? Yes. Do coaches party with the players? No.

Were there reports of Freeman coming in hungover and falling asleep in meetings? No. He did everything and more that was required of him throughout the season and is there during the off-season.

I'm sure Freeman has gone out and partied. He's 23. But there has been no reports of him partying and affecting his work ethic nor job as the leader of this team. Those were all shot down.
Old 04-01-2012, 10:22 PM    (permalink
bucfan12
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Over half the leagues backs last year ran for over a 1000 yards and it would have been over 20 if a few guys didn't go get injured.
No offence guy but im not going to explain why it's not a good idea to take a RB in the top ten, that conversation for me has been beaten to death.
You can average 3.5, 3.7 yards per carry and still get 1000 yards in a full season. 1000 yard backs aren't that great. That's just average now a-days. It's physically wearing defenses down.

Richardson will do that. He's a load and just a game changer. That's how he differs from the rest of the class and the prospects over the last 5 years . No one even comes close to T-RICH in this draft at RB. He's the best position player in this draft as well.
Old 04-01-2012, 10:55 PM    (permalink
kBuc5
Rookie

Quote:
That story put it to rest, as did most sources and former coaches.

Do players go out and party? Yes. Do coaches party with the players? No.

Were there reports of Freeman coming in hungover and falling asleep in meetings? No. He did everything and more that was required of him throughout the season and is there during the off-season.

I'm sure Freeman has gone out and partied. He's 23. But there has been no reports of him partying and affecting his work ethic nor job as the leader of this team. Those were all shot down.
The article was written after the one you posted and that's all I was saying about Freeman to begin with. He has been rumored to be a party guy. I don't question Freeman or Williams, they all do it. Williams will be fine. I don't doubt Freeman will come into camp reenergized, In great shape. Same with Williams and Benn.
Old 04-01-2012, 11:04 PM    (permalink
kBuc5
Rookie

Quote:
You can average 3.5, 3.7 yards per carry and still get 1000 yards in a full season. 1000 yard backs aren't that great. That's just average now a-days. It's physically wearing defenses down.

Richardson will do that. He's a load and just a game changer. That's how he differs from the rest of the class and the prospects over the last 5 years . No one even comes close to T-RICH in this draft at RB. He's the best position player in this draft as well.
Only Cedric Benson had a YPC avg less then 4 out of all the 1000 yard backs last year, 3.9.
If you don't Avg atleast 4 a carry your probaly not a starting RB.

So your saying Trent will be better at his position then Luck? Okayyy. I think Martin will be very similar to Trent, they are basically the same player. One you can get at the top of round 2 the other at 5 overall. Everyone seems to forget that we already have a pretty good back on the team, no need to over spend on Trent.

Last edited by kBuc5 : 04-01-2012 at 11:10 PM.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:37 AM    (permalink
brasho
Pro Bowler

brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legacy View Post

I sure hope not. Considering that the last 7-8 Super Bowl winners haven't started a RB any higher than a 6th rounder, great RBs CAN be found anywhere. Considering of the last 10 years, only one RB taken in the top 10 hasn't been a huge disappointment (Peterson), why take the chance of picking a RB when you can strengthen other positions like the good teams do and select your gem RB far later?

Richarson is good, but far from elite. One big year, two other years where he was as good (in limited action) or not quite as good as Ingram who went number 28 overall and disappointed in his rookie year, plus workout numbers that were far from elite, suggest that Richardson is definitely NOT elite.
brasho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 07:44 AM    (permalink
brasho
Pro Bowler

brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brasho is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Richardson has as many 1000 yard seasons in the past 2 seasons as LaGarrette Blount. But only Blount's came in the NFL, and his yards per carry were 5.0.

I also think Doug Martin is a very similar prospect to Richardson. Only Martin has shown he can carry the load over for more than just one season... (and his measurables are a tad better-just in case you think Martin is physically inferior), Martin also returns kicks.

This team doesn't need another RB to fix what ails them (and ales the fans), it needs a defense that can get off the field. They need a RB that is a change of pace, catches the ball, contributes on special teams. Only exceptional RBs can run for over 1000 yards in the NFL and average 5.0 a carry, we have a special RB right now.
Old 04-02-2012, 04:57 PM    (permalink
bucfan12
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by brasho View Post
Richardson has as many 1000 yard seasons in the past 2 seasons as LaGarrette Blount. But only Blount's came in the NFL, and his yards per carry were 5.0.

I also think Doug Martin is a very similar prospect to Richardson. Only Martin has shown he can carry the load over for more than just one season... (and his measurables are a tad better-just in case you think Martin is physically inferior), Martin also returns kicks.

This team doesn't need another RB to fix what ails them (and ales the fans), it needs a defense that can get off the field. They need a RB that is a change of pace, catches the ball, contributes on special teams. Only exceptional RBs can run for over 1000 yards in the NFL and average 5.0 a carry, we have a special RB right now.
I understand what you're trying to say. RBs aren't as important of a position and you don't need an elite back.

But Richardson is probably a top 2-3 Prospect and in the mold of Adrian Peterson. You talk about defense getting off the field? Richardson behind our dominate OLINE can keep them off it.

Don't forget, the coaching staff is 100% different and new this year. There's going to be structure, discipline, and actual coaches that have great resume's in the past and experience in terms of technique and tackling. Butch Davis was a dline/D-coordinator before he became Head Coach. Sheridan was a very successful LBs coach and always got the best out of sub-par talent in NY.

I think the defense has already improved with just the coaching staff. The young players are no longer running the show. They either follow by the rules now or find themselves in the FA pool during the season.
Old 04-04-2012, 12:28 PM    (permalink
brasho
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I understand what you're trying to say. RBs aren't as important of a position and you don't need an elite back.

But Richardson is probably a top 2-3 Prospect and in the mold of Adrian Peterson. You talk about defense getting off the field? Richardson behind our dominate OLINE can keep them off it.

Don't forget, the coaching staff is 100% different and new this year. There's going to be structure, discipline, and actual coaches that have great resume's in the past and experience in terms of technique and tackling. Butch Davis was a dline/D-coordinator before he became Head Coach. Sheridan was a very successful LBs coach and always got the best out of sub-par talent in NY.

I think the defense has already improved with just the coaching staff. The young players are no longer running the show. They either follow by the rules now or find themselves in the FA pool during the season.
Okay, first off, Richardson and Peterson are nothing alike. Richardson is a cross as a runner between Cedric Benson and as a receiver, Ronnie Brown. Two top 5 busts for the most part. Combine them together and you have a pretty good RB... but why draft a pretty good RB at #5 when you can address a position that is harder to find good players and good a pretty good RB anywhere in the draft (or after)?

Considering the top 6 rushers this past season were all NOT 1st round picks what does that say about investing 1st rounders in RBs?

The NFL's leading rusher was a 2nd round pick, #2 was a 2nd rounder, #3 was a 5th rounder, #4 was a 2nd rounder, #5 was undrafted, #6 was a 3rd rounder... do you see any top 5 picks in there?

Every Super Bowl winner since the 2004 regular season has NOT started a RB that was drafted any higher than round SIX! WOW!!! What is that? Seven straight Super Bowl Champs with a leading rusher drafted no higher than round 6!!! I wonder why... could it be that they invest their resources more wisely and find their RBs late in the draft or after? Could be...

Or consider that out of the last 7 RBs taken in the top 10 in the last 10 years, only Adrian Peterson has worked out as a star player. The other 6? All busts! Reggie Bush, Ronnie Brown, Cedric Benson, Cadilac Williams, Darren McFadden, CJ Spiller---- about 6 or so 1000 yard rushing seasons BETWEEN THEM! That's a success rate of 14.2857% for RBs living up to their draft status, my friend. Not good, and not a good use of valuable resources.

Need further proof? Look at what RBs made on the open market in free agency. They got paid squat. Why? Because teams know they can plug in undrafted guys like Arian Foster, LaGarrette Blount, Ryan Grant, Pierre Thomas, Dominic Rhodes, Willie Parker, Priest Holmes, Earnest Graham and Fred Jackson and get excellent performances. Or if they want they can draft late round gems like Jacobs, Bradshaw, Starks, Turner, and Hillis or take former high round draft picks off the scrap heap like Lynch, Thomas Jones, Benson, Bush, and others and still have a good rushing attack.

The RB position is about supply and demand and right now, the supply far outweighs the demand so the stock on RBs is way down. There are more potential 1000 yard rushers out there right now than ever before. Teams lose a featured back and plug in the backup (like Clifford Ivory, James Starks) and they don't miss a beat.

Why waste a valuable resource where you can find a special player at a valued position to find a fairly special player (he's not Adrian Peterson by any means) at an unvalued position?
Old 04-04-2012, 12:35 PM    (permalink
brasho
Pro Bowler

Quote:

When the Bucs were down 21-0 when they had only 2 possessions like they were so often last season you know it't time to upgrade the defense.

When the defense sets an all-time record for most points given up in franchise history (and considering the history of this franchise, that is pathetic), you know it's time to upgrade the defense.

When the defense gets regularly pushed around, blown back, outsmarted, and slapped around, you know it's time to upgrade the defense. When Blount got the ball last season (and he could hold onto it) whether it be on the run or in the air, he did awesome things. Having a defense give up points and yards like a sieve can't be fixed by drafting Clark Kent to play RB. We need defense.

You can't sit there and say you have fairth that the defense will improve because of the coaching and not give the same benefit of the doubt to the offense (which wasn't nearly as bad). Either you have faith in the team or you don't. Either way, you have to realize that the defense is what needs the most help... especially with Sheridan as the DC.
Old 04-05-2012, 07:29 PM    (permalink
bucfan12
Pro Bowler

Quote:
When the Bucs were down 21-0 when they had only 2 possessions like they were so often last season you know it't time to upgrade the defense.

When the defense sets an all-time record for most points given up in franchise history (and considering the history of this franchise, that is pathetic), you know it's time to upgrade the defense.

When the defense gets regularly pushed around, blown back, outsmarted, and slapped around, you know it's time to upgrade the defense. When Blount got the ball last season (and he could hold onto it) whether it be on the run or in the air, he did awesome things. Having a defense give up points and yards like a sieve can't be fixed by drafting Clark Kent to play RB. We need defense.

You can't sit there and say you have fairth that the defense will improve because of the coaching and not give the same benefit of the doubt to the offense (which wasn't nearly as bad). Either you have faith in the team or you don't. Either way, you have to realize that the defense is what needs the most help... especially with Sheridan as the DC.
You can also argue the fact that the offense going 3 and out every series didn't help the defense in getting off the field either. It was a mix of both. Defense was on the field TOO long during games.

Richardson could help with TOP.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:49 PM    (permalink
brasho
Pro Bowler

Yeah, sure he could. So could running LaGarrette Blount, he of whose jock you were all over at the beginning of the season, or completing of passes to receivers. All things could help with TOP. Having a better defense would make it so that each offensive possession isn't do or die 8 minutes into the game.

You can't tell me that a professional defense is worn out by offenses going 3 and out in the first 10 minutes of the game, are you?

Seriously, if you have such a huge mancrush on Richardson, I suggest you root for whatever team that drafts him. Hopefully for your happiness, that team wasn't stupid enough to draft him top 5... or even top 10, because if they are, they won't be going anywhere soon.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:56 PM    (permalink
bucfan12
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Yeah, sure he could. So could running LaGarrette Blount, he of whose jock you were all over at the beginning of the season, or completing of passes to receivers. All things could help with TOP. Having a better defense would make it so that each offensive possession isn't do or die 8 minutes into the game.

You can't tell me that a professional defense is worn out by offenses going 3 and out in the first 10 minutes of the game, are you?

Seriously, if you have such a huge mancrush on Richardson, I suggest you root for whatever team that drafts him. Hopefully for your happiness, that team wasn't stupid enough to draft him top 5... or even top 10, because if they are, they won't be going anywhere soon.
Hm, that is something I highly doubt. We took Caddalac Williams #5 overall and rode him right into the playoffs that year.

This team is very equipped and is more talented than there record showed. The lame duck coaching staff last year was a disaster.

Listen, I don't think RIchardson is going to get past Cleveland, to be honest. I think they make the pick at 4 on T-Rich, leaving us Claiborne, who I'm extremely high on. To me, it's a great pick Richardson or Claiborne at 5.

Then if we get Claibrone at 5, Martin in round 2, and LB in the 3rd.
Old 04-07-2012, 09:22 AM    (permalink
kBuc5
Rookie

Quote:
Would be the smart way to go imo, but we've gone down this road already havn't we, lol...
Old 04-08-2012, 08:07 AM    (permalink
brasho
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Hm, that is something I highly doubt. We took Caddalac Williams #5 overall and rode him right into the playoffs that year.

This team is very equipped and is more talented than there record showed. The lame duck coaching staff last year was a disaster.

Listen, I don't think RIchardson is going to get past Cleveland, to be honest. I think they make the pick at 4 on T-Rich, leaving us Claiborne, who I'm extremely high on. To me, it's a great pick Richardson or Claiborne at 5.

Actually, we rode Cadillac to wins in the first 3 games, after that Williams managed a grand total of SIX 100 yard rushing games... the rest of his career with us. For the record, LaGarrette Blount has SEVEN 100 yard rushing games for us or in other words, ONE more than Cadiallac had in his final 95 games as a Buccaneer

I thought it was a stupid pick then, I'm convinced it was a horrible pick now (my top 2 players for us that season were DEs Merriman and Ware).

So we spent a #5 pick on Williams, who for the first 3 seasons of his career, was among the WORST pass catchers at RB I have ever seen, terrible pass blocker as well.

Blount's biggest issue as a pass catcher isn't lack of ability, but lack of opportunity. According to Bucky Brooks, from the Senior Bowl of two years ago, Blount had some of the best hands in Mobile: http://www.nfl.com/seniorbowl/story?...s&confirm=true

Quote:
Stock up
LeGarrette Blount, RB, Oregon
Blount entered Senior Bowl week amid a host of character questions following his lengthy suspension following a postgame scuffle in the season opener against Boise State. While his character assessment remains a work in progress, Blount has impressed scouts with his solid play throughout the week. Blount has displayed a nice blend of speed and power as a runner, and his nifty footwork allows him to slither in and out of holes. Throw in the fact that he catches the ball as well as some receivers, Blount's value as an every-down back has started to rise in the minds of many scouts.

The selection of Williams, though it might be fond in your eyes, was anything but a success... unless you think success in September equals success for a year or a career.
Old 04-09-2012, 05:49 PM    (permalink
bucfan12
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Actually, we rode Cadillac to wins in the first 3 games, after that Williams managed a grand total of SIX 100 yard rushing games... the rest of his career with us. For the record, LaGarrette Blount has SEVEN 100 yard rushing games for us or in other words, ONE more than Cadiallac had in his final 95 games as a Buccaneer

I thought it was a stupid pick then, I'm convinced it was a horrible pick now (my top 2 players for us that season were DEs Merriman and Ware).

So we spent a #5 pick on Williams, who for the first 3 seasons of his career, was among the WORST pass catchers at RB I have ever seen, terrible pass blocker as well.

Blount's biggest issue as a pass catcher isn't lack of ability, but lack of opportunity. According to Bucky Brooks, from the Senior Bowl of two years ago, Blount had some of the best hands in Mobile: http://www.nfl.com/seniorbowl/story?...s&confirm=true

The selection of Williams, though it might be fond in your eyes, was anything but a success... unless you think success in September equals success for a year or a career.
No doubt Blount, I think, can be a good pass catcher out of the backfield. It's that he isn't a complete back in terms of pass protection. He can't pick up the blitz when needed or block, then get open.

He's got ball security issues as well and his work ethic and dedication were questioned when he didn't show up, along with Mike Williams, to organized team workouts last year during the lockout, one's Freeman organized. We need a physicall, and complete back to compliment him. If it's Trent Richardson, great. But I like Doug Martin too.

Right now: Richardson or Claiborne and we'll have a GREAT 1st round.
Old 04-10-2012, 12:39 PM    (permalink
brasho
Pro Bowler

Quote:
No doubt Blount, I think, can be a good pass catcher out of the backfield. It's that he isn't a complete back in terms of pass protection. He can't pick up the blitz when needed or block, then get open.

He's got ball security issues as well and his work ethic and dedication were questioned when he didn't show up, along with Mike Williams, to organized team workouts last year during the lockout, one's Freeman organized. We need a physicall, and complete back to compliment him. If it's Trent Richardson, great. But I like Doug Martin too.

Right now: Richardson or Claiborne and we'll have a GREAT 1st round.
Doug Martin's a stud that is definitely worth the high 2nd rounder. The difference between him nad Richardson is not that great... except Martin returns kicks.

As I was making the comparison to Blount and Williams... Williams was among the worst I'd ever seen as a 3rd down RB during his first two years. Last year, Blount was far better in that area than Williams was during his first two seasons. Blount dropped 2-3 passes all season long, Williams was 50/50 his first few sesaons.
Old 04-10-2012, 02:53 PM    (permalink
bigbuc
Veteran

bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbuc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

With the cutting of T Jax today I think safety is our biggest need. Taking Claiborne and Harrison Smith seems like the thing to do and set up our back four for years to come, but my love for Richardson runs deep and I would hate to see him running all over the NFL for a team that's not the Bucs.

Last edited by bigbuc : 04-10-2012 at 02:57 PM.
bigbuc is offline   Reply With Quote