Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Minnesota Vikings Team Forum

Minnesota Vikings Team Forum Discuss the Vikings

Old 04-17-2012, 07:41 PM    (permalink
The Dynasty
Pro Bowler

The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyGopher View Post
There's a rumor floating around that the Vikes are really interested in Jeffery at 35. I would love to grab Kalil and Jeffery and I think they could go a long way in aiding Ponder's development.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/7441/alshon-jeffery
Yeah I saw that earlier today, Im really hoping he is there at 35. Kalil and Jeffery would be my ideal first two picks for the vikes and then obviously go CB/S with our 3rd round pick.

Vikings | Yankees | Magic | Sabres | Chelsea FC | Alabama | St. Bonaventure
The Dynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 08:17 PM    (permalink
The_Dude
Pro Bowler

The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

yuck. no thanks to jeffery.

i know that the draft is a crap-shoot, but he screams bust to me. big time.

gimme randle or harrison smith in the 2nd
The_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:03 PM    (permalink
djp
Team Leader
Icon

djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.djp is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Do not like Jeffery at all. I really hope someone who wants to bank their future on Tannehill is willing to trade for #3 and leapfrog Cleveland
Old 04-17-2012, 10:46 PM    (permalink
marshallb
All-Pro

marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So, in the final forum mock before the draft, I am running the Vikings. I didn't actually apply for them or any team, but someone wanted to co-GM, so I was asked to run the Chargers and then fischbowl, who was assigned the Vikings asked if I wanted to switch, so I ended up running the Vikings.

Anyways, we are halfway through the 3rd round right now, and here's what I've done so far:
1. Matt Kalil
2. Alshon Jeffery
3. Casey Hayward

I really did not want to take Jeffery in the 2nd, but I tried to move down and had 2 offers, both teams wanted Coby Fleener, and one of the teams(Philly) ended up moving up with Indy instead, and then I had no other interest at all. So I had to stay put at 35 and did not like the values at any other position of need, so I felt I had to take Jeffery after Randle and Hill went in the few picks right before ours. I would have liked to move down and then grab either Jeffery or Sanu or go with Harrison Smith, but with no one interested in trading up, that wasn't an option. Personally, I'm not a fan of Jeffery as I don't think he'll be able to consistently create separation in the NFL, but I'm not sure Sanu can do that any better.

In the third I opted to go with Hayward, who I love, and think would be a great fit in our defense and would be a hell of a cover 2 corner.

sig by BK and avy by me
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Perfect Score View Post
If a girl is sucking me off, and I look down and shes beating off a **** of her own, I am absolutely going to tell her to stop. 100% of the time. Explain that ****.
marshallb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 12:43 AM    (permalink
prock
All-Pro

prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Not a Jeffry fan, but I wouldn't hate it in the second.

Bonekrusher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanTaber View Post
Football...it's rocket surgery now, folks.
prock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:41 AM    (permalink
The_Dude
Pro Bowler

The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The_Dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

why jeffery over smith if you don't like jeffery? Both are pretty damn big needs for this team.
The_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 12:10 PM    (permalink
hagy34
Veteran

hagy34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hagy34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hagy34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hagy34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hagy34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hagy34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hagy34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hagy34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hagy34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hagy34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hagy34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I could live with Jeffery or Smith. I'm a little skeptical that Jeffery will be able to stretch the field though....
hagy34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 12:23 PM    (permalink
marshallb
All-Pro

marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Dude View Post
why jeffery over smith if you don't like jeffery? Both are pretty damn big needs for this team.
Because I don't like Smith that high either. I wouldn't take him until mid 2nd at the earliest and still have Jeffery ranked over him.

sig by BK and avy by me
Quote:
If a girl is sucking me off, and I look down and shes beating off a **** of her own, I am absolutely going to tell her to stop. 100% of the time. Explain that ****.
Old 04-18-2012, 02:09 PM    (permalink
hagy34
Veteran

hagy34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hagy34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hagy34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hagy34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hagy34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hagy34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hagy34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hagy34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hagy34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hagy34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.hagy34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshallb View Post
Because I don't like Smith that high either. I wouldn't take him until mid 2nd at the earliest and still have Jeffery ranked over him.
I think Smith is one of those guys rising way too quickly as the draft approaches. Not that he won't be a good player but I'm not a huge fan of his at 35 either. I could live with it, but wouldnt be overjoyed.
Old 04-18-2012, 02:10 PM    (permalink
hagy34
Veteran

Planning on doing a Vikings mock again this year. Should I place it here or start its own thread??
Old 04-18-2012, 03:20 PM    (permalink
marshallb
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagy34 View Post
Planning on doing a Vikings mock again this year. Should I place it here or start its own thread??
Just put it in here.

sig by BK and avy by me
Quote:
Old 04-18-2012, 03:30 PM    (permalink
Vikes99ej
Icon

Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

All of a sudden I really want the Vikings to take Claiborne. Good tackles can be found in the later rounds. This is a fact.
Vikes99ej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 03:34 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes99ej View Post
All of a sudden I really want the Vikings to take Claiborne. Good tackles can be found in the later rounds. This is a fact.
same can be said about pretty much any position that's not quarterback

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 03:41 PM    (permalink
hagy34
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by princefielder28 View Post
same can be said about pretty much any position that's not quarterback
So true. We haven't done a thing to upgrade our left side at this point. This team will not improve without building around Ponder.
Old 04-19-2012, 05:36 PM    (permalink
RollingMoss
Rookie

RollingMoss hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.RollingMoss hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Dream Draft

1. Matt Kalil, OT - I'll be very, very disappointed if he's not the pick. Less so if it's Claiborne, but still very, very disappointed.
2. Janoris Jenkins, CB - Never gonna happen for plenty of reasons, don't care. He should be the pick. Locked down AJ Green, Julio Jones, and Alshon Jeffrey (one of these things is not like the other, right?) Consolation pick: Stephen Hill.
3. Brian Quick, WR - I'm sold. He probably won't even be available here. Consolation pick: Chase Minnifield.
4. Tank Carder, LB
4. Marvin McNutt, WR
4. Janzen Jackson, S
5. Rishaw Johnson, G
6. Vontaze Burifict, LB - I know, don't care. Roll the dice.
7. Blake DeChristopher, OL
7. No clue.
RollingMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:11 PM    (permalink
marshallb
All-Pro

So an update on the forum mock:

1. Kalil
2. Jeffery
3. Hayward
4. Chase Minnifield CB Virginia
4a. James Michael-Johnson MLB Nevada
4b. Phillip Thomas S Syracuse
5. Devier Posey WR Ohio State

I'm not sure if we needed another corner after taking Hayward, but I couldn't pass up Minnifield in the 4th, especially with the rest of the board at S, LB, and DT. I took Michael-Johnson with the first comp pick due to his value and the fact that we have basically zero depth at LB behind our starters and we can use a MLB with only Brinkley there. I was hoping for Brandon Taylor at S, and had a deal worked out to move up to the mid 4th for him, but he happened to go two picks before that pick, so I backed out. My next target there was Trenton Robinson, who went 2 picks before I was able to take Thomas, but he's not a bad consolation prize. I didn't like the value at DT with our 5th, so I opted to go WR and had a couple WR on my board above those safeties, like Joe Adams who went a couple picks before our first comp pick, and then Jairus Wright went with the last comp in the 4th, so I opted to go with Devier Posey to give Ponder another big target who can also stretch the field.

We're almost near the end of the 5th, and each of my top targets at DT are still there. With our 7ths, I'm going to take anyone of great value who falls, and then probably target OL depth, maybe a RB, and maybe another S or LB.

sig by BK and avy by me
Quote:
Old 04-20-2012, 03:52 PM    (permalink
hagy34
Veteran

Who was there at WR aside from Posey?

Also, I really think we can get Minnifield in the 4th. I would be pumped if we landed a 2nd round S/CB and Minnifield in the 4th. Of course I'm under the assumption we get a WR in round 3.

Last edited by hagy34 : 04-20-2012 at 03:54 PM.
Old 04-20-2012, 05:44 PM    (permalink
marshallb
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagy34 View Post
Who was there at WR aside from Posey?

Also, I really think we can get Minnifield in the 4th. I would be pumped if we landed a 2nd round S/CB and Minnifield in the 4th. Of course I'm under the assumption we get a WR in round 3.
No other WR went shortly after I took Posey. The next one taken was Devon Wylie over a half round later, and then Rishard Matthews and Dale Moss in the early 6th. Some other guys still available are: Jermaine Kearse, Patrick Edwards, TJ Graham, Chris Owusu, Travis Benjamin, etc. Really not much...

I took Tydreke Powell, DT North Carolina with our 6th. He was the best 4-3 NT type left, and he's got the talent that with some development time that he could develop into a starter down the line.

sig by BK and avy by me
Quote:
Old 04-20-2012, 06:36 PM    (permalink
hagy34
Veteran

Crazy that Marvin Jones went in round 2. His stock rose quickly. I like him but I'm starting to think his stock is far too high for us to get him. Like your picks though...
Old 04-20-2012, 06:46 PM    (permalink
hagy34
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollingMoss View Post
Dream Draft

1. Matt Kalil, OT - I'll be very, very disappointed if he's not the pick. Less so if it's Claiborne, but still very, very disappointed.
2. Janoris Jenkins, CB - Never gonna happen for plenty of reasons, don't care. He should be the pick. Locked down AJ Green, Julio Jones, and Alshon Jeffrey (one of these things is not like the other, right?) Consolation pick: Stephen Hill.
If this happens I will freak out. Jenkins would be sick on this team.
Old 04-22-2012, 11:00 PM    (permalink
hagy34
Veteran

I think all this talk is making it even harder for the Vikings to swing a trade. If we truly wanted to trade why not just cool it with the chatter. It reeks of desperation.
Old 04-23-2012, 03:46 PM    (permalink
hagy34
Veteran

Almost done with my final mock draft for us. You guys are going to hate some of the picks but I look forward to the critiques.
Old 04-23-2012, 08:53 PM    (permalink
marshallb
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshallb View Post
So an update on the forum mock:

1. Kalil
2. Jeffery
3. Hayward
4a. James Michael-Johnson MLB Nevada

I'm not sure if we needed another corner after taking Hayward, but I couldn't pass up Minnifield in the 4th, especially with the rest of the board at S, LB, and DT. I took Michael-Johnson with the first comp pick due to his value and the fact that we have basically zero depth at LB behind our starters and we can use a MLB with only Brinkley there. I was hoping for Brandon Taylor at S, and had a deal worked out to move up to the mid 4th for him, but he happened to go two picks before that pick, so I backed out. My next target there was Trenton Robinson, who went 2 picks before I was able to take Thomas, but he's not a bad consolation prize. I didn't like the value at DT with our 5th, so I opted to go WR and had a couple WR on my board above those safeties, like Joe Adams who went a couple picks before our first comp pick, and then Jairus Wright went with the last comp in the 4th, so I opted to go with Devier Posey to give Ponder another big target who can also stretch the field.

We're almost near the end of the 5th, and each of my top targets at DT are still there. With our 7ths, I'm going to take anyone of great value who falls, and then probably target OL depth, maybe a RB, and maybe another S or LB.
I'm now finished with the Vikings in the forum mock.

1. Matt Kalil OT USC
2. Alshon Jeffery WR South Carolina
3. Casey Hayward CB Vanderbilt
4a. James Michael-Johnson LB Nevada
6. Tydreke Powell DT North Carolina
7. Joe Looney OG Wake Forest
7a. Jamie Blatnick DE Oklahoma State

I was busy this evening and missed the clock on my last pick and was given Blatnick, which is fine, but I would have went with either a RB or S, probably Kelcie McCray, S, Arkansas St. I felt like Looney was an excellent value in the early 7th as I think he could go as early as the 5th in the real draft, and I thought about him in the 6th, but opted to go with Powell given the need at DT and the fact that DT was starting to dry up, so getting him in the 7th made me very happy.

Overall, I was very happy with how things went. I wish a few guys had fallen a couple more picks to us, but **** happens, and I'll probably end up more happy with this than the real thing come Saturday when it's all done.

sig by BK and avy by me
Quote:
Old 04-25-2012, 12:42 AM    (permalink
General Zod
All-Pro

General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Id be happy with either Kalil or Claiborne. Kalil is pick everyone is making. But Claiborne wouldn't shock me either just because of having A. Rodgers, Stafford and Cutler in our division. Im not in love with the idea of taking Blackmon at 3. He just doesn't seem like an "elite" WR to me. I myself have different rankings for this years WR prospects then a lot of people. I think that Blackmon and Floyd are neck and neck, with the edge to Blackmon just because of durability and character. My rankings go something like this...

1a. Justin Blackmon
1b. Michael Floyd

2a. Stephen Hill(edge to Hill with better speed.)
2b. Rueben Randle

3. Kendall Wright
4. Brian Quick
5. Chris Givins
6. Alshon Jeffery
7. AJ Jenkins
8. Mohamed Sanu
9. TY Hilton
10. Ryan Broyles
General Zod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:37 AM    (permalink
hagy34
Veteran

Alright guys here is what I have for my final mock. Go ahead and hammer me. But throw me some rep if you like some of the picks, I need some! Thanks!

1::3::3 Matt Kalil
2::3::35 Janoris Jenkins
3::3::66 George Iloka
4::3::98 Marvin Jones
4::33::128 Travis Lewis
4::39::134 Tommy Streeter
5::3::138 Adam Gettis
6::5::175 Asa Jackson
7::3::210 Cliff Harris
7::16::223 Kellen Moore

I'd explain each pick but I don't have time at the moment. If you ask questions I'll respond!