Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Jets Team Forum

New York Jets Team Forum Discuss the J-E-T-S

Old 04-26-2012, 08:51 PM    (permalink
Old School
Rookie

Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derza222 View Post
Interesting because it opens up the possibility of taking an OLB at #47 or moving up into the late first for one which would be a classic Tannenbaum move. Could see Branch or Curry at 47.

I think Jets go offense on the second pick. WR/RB/OL best player on their board at either of those positions.
Old School is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 08:51 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He's lazy and doesn't have a high motor. That's what's missing in my opinion.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Hurricanes25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 08:57 PM    (permalink
Old School
Rookie

Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Old School is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Good write-up on Coples:

"One of the draft's true boom-or-bust prospects, Coples will be paired with one of the league's top defensive minds in Rex Ryan after mailing in his senior year at North Carolina. Accused of playing more not to get hurt than anything else, Coples saw his numbers fall across the board before turning in a dominant Senior Bowl performance. Despite being a mammoth 6-foot-6, 284 pounds, Coples ran a 4.72 40 at the Combine in addition to an eye-popping 1.63 ten-yard split. If Ryan's motivating powers are successful, Coples could immediately emerge as one of the league's top young pass rushers."
Old 04-26-2012, 09:14 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

After watching this,

they're definitely putting him at OLB. And I feel much more comfortable about the pick now. Also looking at his stats I feel much more comfortable. People say he was underwhelming and still did great. Kind of reminds me when people were detracting from Kiwanuka.

The more I look into this, the more I'm on board. The only guy I could see being more explosive was Irvin. He definitely could still bust, but now I'm content.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:25 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thetedginnshow is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Goddamnit. Stupid New England. I feel like this is a rigged draft. Well maybe Jones will be bad. Hightower is going to be good though. I know it in my heart.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:29 PM    (permalink
Old School
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetedginnshow View Post
Goddamnit. Stupid New England. I feel like this is a rigged draft. Well maybe Jones will be bad. Hightower is going to be good though. I know it in my heart.

First off, thanks for the Coples vid Ginn, enjoyed it, he looks like a beast if he wants it.

Second........ NE has a way of ruining everything. Great 1st round for them. Brady has a sh#$y grin on his face right now. Hope Jones was way overrated.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:30 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

Okay, I lied.

Quote:
Coples was teammate of Wilkerson at Hargrave Military Acamdey. Wilkerson told Jets he's a great teammate and a better player than him. #nyj
Quote:
Rex was impressed by how Coples didn't tire during Pro Day workout. Said Coples can play OLB but that's not what they brought in to do. #nyj
Those are both from Jenny Vrentas.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:40 PM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

What are the predictions for the next round? I say... we trade up... for something.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:00 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So with Coples, he's playing end. And I'm happier with it that way. He seemed like a goofy fit standing up. This is essentially taking Fletcher Cox with motor concerns. Big guy who can get after the QB as a 5-tech, really good fit as a DE in a hybrid 3-4 IF they can get him to play hard. The need was to help generate pass rush, I'm fine with doing with someone in the front 3. Doesn't necessarily have to be an OLB, and particularly without an OLB who's an ideal fit, it makes sense. I do like the pick a lot more knowing he's not standing up, but there's still motor concerns.

I kind of hope the next pick is a **** the offense, let's help improve the defense selection. Upshaw's probably off the board and I'm not the biggest fan but I mean if he's on the board at 47 I'm fine with giving it a run. Branch or Curry would be nice. I could dig Iloka who I think is a great fit at safety. If Stephen Hill doesn't go to the Giants he's an ideal fit at WR, and Rueben Randle could be a really solid option as well. Cordy Glenn would be all kinds of awesome, and Massie and Schwartz are good fits at tackle as well. Lots of good possiblities. Can't wait.
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:34 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm warming up to the pick. All of a sudden, we have pretty good depth at DE. DeVito is a rotational guy now. We'll be able to keep everybody fresh along the D-line.

If Coples plays hard and up to his ability, he could end up being one of the better players from this class. It's a big if but I think it's worth the risk and I'm being surprisingly optimistic right now.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Old 04-26-2012, 10:37 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Coples? umm. I honestly preferred Fletcher Cox but while sitting back Coples could not be a bad pick. Big problem on him is laziness. If he stays lazy free then he could be better than Shaun Ellis.

I extremely am happy that Jets passed on DeCastro and all OLB, especially Ingram, for the 16th pick.

I think Jets wont make any trades with their 2nd round pick since there are plenty options of Branch, Curry, Upshaw, Schwartz, Osemele, Massie, Iloka, Jeffery, Hill and Marvin Jones.

Big problem for Jets is Iloka is the last option for FS job but it seems that Jets have prepared for no top FS.

Another problem for Sparano is top 3 RBs are gone before 2nd round begins. I can't think of anything RB that has good burst. Stephfon Green of PSU?

Last edited by YotoJets007 : 04-26-2012 at 10:42 PM.
YotoJets007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:40 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YotoJets007 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricanes25 View Post
I'm warming up to the pick. All of a sudden, we have pretty good depth at DE. DeVito is a rotational guy now. We'll be able to keep everybody fresh along the D-line.

If Coples plays hard and up to his ability, he could end up being one of the better players from this class. It's a big if but I think it's worth the risk and I'm being surprisingly optimistic right now.

Too many run stuffers on the roster. Pass rushing ability DL is always a bonus.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:41 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Adding an OLB like Curry or Branch to go along with Coples will really improve our pass rush and could actually somewhat mask our lack of a FS.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Old 04-26-2012, 10:41 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I hope the Jets take Lamar Miller.
gpngc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:45 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

Espn report already said Coples will be our LE. Not surprising.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:47 PM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Adding an OLB like Curry or Branch to go along with Coples will really improve our pass rush and could actually somewhat mask our lack of a FS.

Agreed.

No Lamar Miller for Jets. He is very slow when it comes to burst that is why scouts think he belongs ZBS offense. Think Arian Foster with speed.
Old 04-26-2012, 11:02 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
I hope the Jets take Lamar Miller.
I like Miller. A home run hitter in the backfield would be nice. Thought they had a chance to get him in the third, but with Martin and Wilson going in the first that probably pushes him up. Lots of great options in the second though, should be interesting. Hopefully they can find a good combination of value and early contributor.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:43 AM    (permalink
AHungryWalrus
Veteran

AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.AHungryWalrus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I would like to see us try trading up to grab Glenn. Would be fine giving up our 2nd, 5th, and 6th if it could get us up there. Getting him or having Martin fall to us would be nice.

I can't take another year of Hunter.
AHungryWalrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 02:17 AM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Interesting pick for New York. I like the value but Ingram seemed like a more logical fit in the defense.
Old 04-27-2012, 02:20 AM    (permalink
thetedginnshow
All-NFLDC

I feel like there are a lot of very highly rated RT prospects on the board, so unless there's a run, that would be a nice pick. There's quite a few WRs as well... and a couple OLBs... We actually, still, have too many options. But given this much time to think I could see them trading up. Hopefully not though, because we kind of still have all those holes to fill. To me, the position most likely to get a capable starter from on Day 3 would be OT.
Old 04-27-2012, 09:09 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

I have a feeling that the Jets looked at a lot of the OLB prospects and felt that these players were getting pushed up draft boards because of the demand for pass rushers but didn't think they were truly first round caliber talents without that demand. I'd guess they're content to sit and wait for a prospect they feel will be a really good OLB in the first round, and until then will try to get pass rush from other spots or take OLB's in later rounds.

We were talking about whether or not they were going to go BPA, and clearly they did this year. Not really a need pick, they just thought Coples was the best player left and took him. More of a gamble than usual because they've gone with pretty safe picks in the past besides Sanchez, but there's certainly upside. If the real interest was in improving the pass rush, I could see why thinking replacing DeVito with Coples would do more than replacing Thomas with Ingram. They must have had real concerns about his short arms too.

There's almost bound to be a really solid player who fills a need on the board in the second round. Three prospects who got a lot of talk as first round picks at tackle (Adams, Martin, and Glenn), plus another who got late steam (Massie) and a fifth who's thought of as an excellent RT prospect (Schwartz). I think all of them besides Martin fit the road grader that would be needed too. I've heard they're going to ignore RT, and I kind of believe it too, but there's lots of great options. They flew out to work out Silatolu right before the draft and got first round buzz too, that's not a need at all but we'll see if they continue to go BPA. Then there's two first round caliber WR's on the board in Hill and Randle along with another one who was a top 5 pick entering the season in Jeffery. The value at safety in the 2nd won't be great, but Iloka seems like a great option for covering tight ends. Jenkins is one of the top two cover corners in the draft and we know Rex loves corners. And then there's a bunch of OLB's too, Upshaw, Curry, and Branch still on the board. Lots of great players left, glad the second round pick was held onto.
Old 04-27-2012, 09:30 AM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

Yea, there are plenty of RG and RT in the draft class but not all of them is at least average at pass protection so I can see Jets grab one of those with better pass protecting skill in the 2nd round.

Point off, the words I had picked up in last few weeks.

* Ryan thinks he may find a blue chip rushing OLB in the 5th round.
* Tannebaun feels that he has plenty of options for "stretch" WR between 2nd and 4th round.

Because of that, I project next 3 rounds excluding 4th.

2nd- trading up to Rams for OT Michael Schwartz. 2nd and Moore for Schwartz.

3rd- WR Marvin Jones or dare to say Danny Coale.

5th- OLB Tim Fugger
Old 04-27-2012, 10:00 AM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Jones View Post
Interesting pick for New York. I like the value but Ingram seemed like a more logical fit in the defense.
They may have went BPA. I also know that many teams were turned off by Ingram's short arms so that may have been a factor.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Old 04-27-2012, 10:11 AM    (permalink
YotoJets007
Pro Bowler

Quote:
They may have went BPA. I also know that many teams were turned off by Ingram's short arms so that may have been a factor.

Arm length is irrelevant if he is a shoot in rusher. Problem with Ryan's defense and standard base defense is long arm is needed for in line shredder and run stuffing. Ryan does not use exotic or mismatch up rushing from OLB. Wade Phillips does. Maybe the Pagano brothers will do.

Short arm can work in Ryans as pass down specialist but it is a small role. No way for Ryan to invest in one in the 1st. Easy.
Old 04-27-2012, 10:56 AM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ive come around on the pick. We were most successful when Shaun Ellis generated a rush from the LE spot, and Coples definitely has the potential to do that. I think Rex can bring out the best in him. Plus our front 7 has a bunch of high motor guys, and I hope they can motivate him.