Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2014 NFL Draft Forum

2014 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2014 NFL Draft

Old 05-02-2011, 11:15 PM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Scott = 6th Best Mock Drafter

http://www.thehuddlereport.com/Free/...tscoring.shtml

over the last 5 years, Scott has been the 6th best drafter. Rick Gosselin is still #1 though.
Old 05-02-2011, 11:19 PM    (permalink
fenikz
Pillow Hat Pal
Legend

fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

no clue how he does it, Gosselin is always right on some really strange picks

fenikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 11:24 PM    (permalink
Smash28Dash34
Rookie

Smash28Dash34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smash28Dash34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smash28Dash34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smash28Dash34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smash28Dash34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smash28Dash34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smash28Dash34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smash28Dash34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smash28Dash34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smash28Dash34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smash28Dash34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Love how Scott beat Mayock, Kiper and McShay.
Smash28Dash34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 12:16 AM    (permalink
PossibleCabbage
Pro Bowler

PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I still think Scott sending Phil Taylor to Green Bay in his mock was just a "got to keep him in the first round somehow" move. ;)
PossibleCabbage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 08:15 AM    (permalink
DiG
Dirty Thirty
All-Pro

DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DiG is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Nice work Scott. This makes me pretty damn happy with my mock. I scored 50 this year according to that system.
Old 05-03-2011, 10:10 AM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
Pro Bowler

JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenikz View Post
Here's the clue: Gosselin actually talks to front office personnel with every team just before the draft. He gets real info from more than a few of them.

Whereas people like Scott rank and rate people based on what they see and somewhat on what they hear from league insiders, Gosselin is dialed in to what people are telling him. He doesn't do much personal ranking and rating of college players, but goes on what he's told over the months leading up to the draft.
JoeJoeBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 10:42 AM    (permalink
bitonti
DraftBathroom.com
Veteran

bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bitonti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

congrats Scott it is very hard to mock draft at such a high level for such a period of time. well done

Why Me? The Bob Lamonta Story

bitonti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 01:13 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This list has little meaning to me, picking the right team often is no more than pure luck and with a point scale where 2/3 of the score is based on this segment, I don't put a lot of worth into these rankings. They may be fun in a draft contest but I wouldn't use it to measure how well a drafter can predict.
Add in the fact that I strongly suspect, Gosselin's draft board comes directly from the Cowboys, just changed a little to protect his source, his name doesn't belong on any list of predictors IMO.
Show me the top 100 rankings or Mock draft totals for the # of 1st round picks you predicted, they have meaning, the above rankings mean squat to me.
Old 05-03-2011, 01:22 PM    (permalink
coordinator0
Pro Bowler

coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamcanadian View Post
This list has little meaning to me, picking the right team often is no more than pure luck and with a point scale where 2/3 of the score is based on this segment, I don't put a lot of worth into these rankings. They may be fun in a draft contest but I wouldn't use it to measure how well a drafter can predict.
Add in the fact that I strongly suspect, Gosselin's draft board comes directly from the Cowboys, just changed a little to protect his source, his name doesn't belong on any list of predictors IMO.
Show me the top 100 rankings or Mock draft totals for the # of 1st round picks you predicted, they have meaning, the above rankings mean squat to me.
http://www.thehuddlereport.com/Free/top100scoring.shtml
coordinator0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 01:43 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coordinator0 View Post
Now you are talking, remove Gosselin for reasons stated above and the Huddle report itself(They have so many different people putting out a top 100, they are bound to score high with one of them), then Scott Wright over the last 5 years, IMO ranks #2 overall.
That is superb in my opinion and definitely deserves a 'well done'.
Old 05-04-2011, 05:54 PM    (permalink
Scott Wright
Owner
All-NFLDC

Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scott Wright is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Thanks for the kind words guys.

I am very happy with the performance, especially the five-year averages.

Anyone can be a flash in the pan and do it once, it's the consistency I am proud of.

Twitter: twitter.com/DraftCountdown

Draft Countdown Podcast, Every Tuesday at 8 PM EST
www.blogtalkradio.com/draftcountdown and on iTunes

Scott Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 06:40 AM    (permalink
onejayhawk
Veteran

onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.onejayhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenikz View Post
I am not sure if this is the reason, but someone once said that Gosselin prepared for a Combine like NASA prepared for a manned launch. Where some would have a couple paragraphs on a player, he would have a notebook.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJoeBrown View Post
Here's the clue: Gosselin actually talks to front office personnel with every team just before the draft. He gets real info from more than a few of them.

Whereas people like Scott rank and rate people based on what they see and somewhat on what they hear from league insiders, Gosselin is dialed in to what people are telling him. He doesn't do much personal ranking and rating of college players, but goes on what he's told over the months leading up to the draft.
Dont think he does not rate the players. He just understands that the rating that matter is the one in the hands of the team picking. Where his ratings disagree with Team X's rating, he goes with the Team X rating, if they happen to be on the clock.

Hence, Prince Amukamara drops 15 slots in the two weeks leading to the draft.

J

Last edited by onejayhawk : 05-05-2011 at 06:46 AM.
onejayhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 10:03 AM    (permalink
DavidfromCA
Rookie

DavidfromCA is a cocksman.DavidfromCA is a cocksman.DavidfromCA is a cocksman.DavidfromCA is a cocksman.DavidfromCA is a cocksman.

I never post on the forum but i've been on this site for years. When I hop on my pc from work or home I love to click the address bar and just type "dra" and draftcountdown automatically comes up because im here so much. Great work Scott, especially love how you loved the niners first pick. ;)
DavidfromCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 12:16 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by onejayhawk View Post
I am not sure if this is the reason, but someone once said that Gosselin prepared for a Combine like NASA prepared for a manned launch. Where some would have a couple paragraphs on a player, he would have a notebook.

Dont think he does not rate the players. He just understands that the rating that matter is the one in the hands of the team picking. Where his ratings disagree with Team X's rating, he goes with the Team X rating, if they happen to be on the clock.

Hence, Prince Amukamara drops 15 slots in the two weeks leading to the draft.

J
Gosselin claimed he worked very little on the draft and just called GM's a week before the draft and they told him their boards. Hardly likely!
I don't believe it for a second, he simply has a source, likely in the Cowboy's organization who feeds him the Cowboys' actual draft board a week before the draft, he then rearranges a few names to protect his source and takes credit for the results.
As he has become famous, he has started acting like some draft genius but his early mocks are terrible and the light never goes on till just a week before the draft.
Mind you, I love his top 100 a week before the draft and certainly enjoy reading it.
Old 05-06-2011, 12:17 PM    (permalink
Shane P. Hallam
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamcanadian View Post
Gosselin claimed he worked very little on the draft and just called GM's a week before the draft and they told him their boards. Hardly likely!
I don't believe it for a second, he simply has a source, likely in the Cowboy's organization who feeds him the Cowboys' actual draft board a week before the draft, he then rearranges a few names to protect his source and takes credit for the results.
As he has become famous, he has started acting like some draft genius but his early mocks are terrible and the light never goes on till just a week before the draft.
Mind you, I love his top 100 a week before the draft and certainly enjoy reading it.
We had him on 3 weeks before the draft and he talked about Jonathan Baldwin still being a first rounder and some other tidbits, so I would contend this statement.

Follow Me on Twitter!
https://twitter.com/ShanePHallam
Shane P. Hallam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 01:51 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Congratulations Scott! Very impressive once again!

To those who think they can duplicate what Scott does here....

SUCK IT!
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 02:24 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane P. Hallam View Post
We had him on 3 weeks before the draft and he talked about Jonathan Baldwin still being a first rounder and some other tidbits, so I would contend this statement.
Then list everything he said and let's see how right on he was at the time.
Of course, I don't know when he actually gets his inside info but I could bluff it on one of your interviews and have been pretty right on. I told Scott, Harris and Houston weren't 1st rounders, I liked Baldwin, even though Gosselin listed him at #37 on his top 100, I hated Marcus Cannon and he listed him in round 2 at #35. He still had Mallett in round 2 and Dequan Bowers at #22.
Of course, I'm just quibbling since he again got 29, 1st rounders correct. But outside of a few QB's who he listed in round 1, by the way he didn't come close to predicting how high they would go on his top 100, I could have come pretty close at around 26 correct picks.
I'm sorry but I just don't believe GM's tell him squat a week before the draft about their intension's or about their top 100 just because he calls them. Sounds way too fishy for my liking and nothing I hear about GM's real practices right before a draft when total security rules, suggests otherwise.
You really believe this story, well I don't, so if he hardly puts in any work on the draft himself, how does he get such high results every year. There is only one explanations and that is that he has an inside source. When he actually receives his info or when he is allowed to use it, I haven't a clue, but I have zero doubt he has insider info. Heck, a couple of years ago Gil Brandt mistook Gosselin's work for his own and he has insider info from the Cowboys. Could it be that both had the same board to work with, so much so that Brandt mistook Gosselin's work for his own??????
His story just doesn't add up for me.

Last edited by Iamcanadian : 05-06-2011 at 02:27 PM.
Iamcanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 05:37 PM    (permalink
timani
Rookie

timani is a cocksman.timani is a cocksman.timani is a cocksman.

Don't hate Canadian. He's been a writer covering the NFL for 30+ years, and that's his main gig, not the draft. He knows everybody in the NFL because he sees them week in and week out and actually covers the NFL games. He gets the straight scoop because he doesn't out his sources. Of course they don't say, "We are going to pick ______."

What he does get are the inside tips from the scouts, personel men, GM's and coaches, because he passes info back to them. He gives to get and that allows him access that not many others have.

By the way, he doesn't get the Cowboys' board because he doesn't even really cover them, he's the Dallas Morning News' national football writer, although he's got good connections there. But even if he did, that wouldn't tell him that Tennessee was going to take Jake Locker, which he nailed in his final mock. He's up there at the top with Scott, so dismissing him because he's too good, or you don't understand how he does it makes me think of the great Ron Burgandy line, when he tells Brian Fantana, "That doesn't make sense."

Anyway, I'm a big fan of the Goose, so I felt the need to defend him.
timani is offline   Reply With Quote