Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Detroit Lions Team Forum

Detroit Lions Team Forum Discuss the Lions

Old 04-07-2012, 10:31 AM    (permalink
Fred Savage
Rookie

Fred Savage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Fred Savage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Fred Savage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Fred Savage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Fred Savage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Fred Savage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Fred Savage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Fred Savage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Fred Savage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Fred Savage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Fred Savage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asteinebach View Post
I'd really prefer to skip on CB in the first round altogether. There's some really solid guys that can be gotten in round 2. How about Peter Konz in round one? Or possibly Cordy Glenn? Even Mark Barron could be a possibility. Whoever they take, I just hope it's not someone with character concerns. Josh Robinson, Trumaine Johnson, Brandon Boykin, and Alfonzo Dennard would all be great contributors in round 2.
Ugh, maybe like round 4

I think and hope we go CB or DE in round 1, assuming a talented player drops. Just dont think Oline for our system is worth it in the first.
Fred Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:41 PM    (permalink
Triumphdog
Rookie

Triumphdog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Triumphdog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Triumphdog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Triumphdog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Triumphdog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Triumphdog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Triumphdog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Triumphdog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Triumphdog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Triumphdog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Triumphdog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Question

I do feel the Lions two targets are Gilmore & Kirkpatrick. Which if one of them is still on the board at the 18-22 range, I could see the Lions trading UP to get one of them. Possibly giving up a third or so in the process. Giving recent arrest of LeShoure & Fairley, I don't see Jenkins being a target.

Although if Trent Richardson were to fall somewhere around the 8-10 range. I would poop myself if the Lions were to pull off a deal. Would it be expensive? Hell yeah. But it would be worth it. It would also fill a huge need. I think our best time to make a run at the Superbowl is NOW. Adding Trent Richardson to our offense may make it the best in the league, or very close.

Very unlikely though.

Last edited by Triumphdog : 04-07-2012 at 09:46 PM.
Triumphdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 09:05 AM    (permalink
Fred Savage
Rookie

Fred Savage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Fred Savage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Fred Savage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Fred Savage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Fred Savage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Fred Savage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Fred Savage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Fred Savage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Fred Savage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Fred Savage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Fred Savage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triumphdog View Post
I do feel the Lions two targets are Gilmore & Kirkpatrick. Which if one of them is still on the board at the 18-22 range, I could see the Lions trading UP to get one of them. Possibly giving up a third or so in the process. Giving recent arrest of LeShoure & Fairley, I don't see Jenkins being a target.

Although if Trent Richardson were to fall somewhere around the 8-10 range. I would poop myself if the Lions were to pull off a deal. Would it be expensive? Hell yeah. But it would be worth it. It would also fill a huge need. I think our best time to make a run at the Superbowl is NOW. Adding Trent Richardson to our offense may make it the best in the league, or very close.

Very unlikely though.
Great post. That sums up my opinion on this years first round for the Lions.
Fred Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 10:10 AM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You guys can't be serious. They're not taking a running back in round one and they are especially not TRADING UP AGAIN FOR A RUNNING BACK!

They did it for Best, Leshoure, and Kevin Smith — None of which paid off.
Old 04-08-2012, 10:39 AM    (permalink
Asteinebach
Veteran

Asteinebach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Asteinebach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Asteinebach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Asteinebach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Asteinebach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Asteinebach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Asteinebach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Asteinebach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Asteinebach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Asteinebach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Asteinebach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiomera View Post
They did it for Best, Leshoure, and Kevin Smith None of which paid off.
That's a bit premature.
Asteinebach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 10:47 AM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
That's a bit premature.
You're making my point for me, then. Adding another high round running back is redundant if you think those guys will still pan out.

Seriously, at no point last season did the Lions lose because they couldn't run the ball. They never lost because of the offense.

But there sure as **** lost because of the secondary. And now our depth at linebacker is gone with Carpenter signing elsewhere.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:13 AM    (permalink
Maybe This Year Mayhew
Veteran

Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Lions proved they don't need a run game. They can control the clock and score points and still protect Stafford enough even with over 650 attempts. Run game would be nice icing on the cake though.

Run D, pass D and discipline need improved. The pass D was good to solid before major injuries hit. Losing Houston,Berry,Delmas all at the same time was very bad. Lions was technically a top 5 pass D before those injuries hit on Thanksgiving but very untested as they didn't face Rodger or Brees or Rivers yet. A little more consistency from the pass rush against better passing teams would be nice too.

And if they are going to fix the run game. They neeed to upgrade Raiola,Peterman and Gosder who are poor at run blocking.

Last edited by Maybe This Year Mayhew : 04-09-2012 at 08:21 AM.
Maybe This Year Mayhew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 06:56 PM    (permalink
cotts1
Rookie

cotts1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cotts1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cotts1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cotts1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cotts1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cotts1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cotts1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cotts1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cotts1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cotts1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cotts1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Barron has to be the pick if he falls to 23. I don't think CB is a bigger need than safety right now. Spievey was flat out awful last year. He's bad in run support, he can't cover anything, often looks lost and out of position.

I would much rather go after a CB in round 2 or 3. I think Houston, Lacey and Berry could be decent. Lacey was a good player in the Colts secondary for a few playoff runs. He wasn't very good last year but that could be because QB's had all day to throw against the Colts defense.

My dream Lions draft

1. S Mark Barron, Alabama
2. CB Jayron Hosley, Virginia Tech
3. OG Brandon Brooks, Miami (OH)
4. DE Cam Johnson, Virginia
5. OT Tom Compton, South Dakota
7. WR/KR Marquis Maze, Alabama
7. RB Brandon Bolden, Ole Miss
cotts1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:40 PM    (permalink
Asteinebach
Veteran

Asteinebach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Asteinebach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Asteinebach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Asteinebach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Asteinebach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Asteinebach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Asteinebach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Asteinebach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Asteinebach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Asteinebach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Asteinebach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Mine's not terribly different from yours Cotts, but this is how I'd like to see it go down:

1. Mark Barron S
2. Josh Robinson CB
3. Chandler Jones DE
4. Nate Potter OT
5. Russell Wilson/Kellen Moore QB
7. Jeff Demps RB
7. Brandon Marshall LB
Old 04-10-2012, 07:48 PM    (permalink
Brothgar
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brothgar is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Mine's not terribly different from yours Cotts, but this is how I'd like to see it go down:

1. Mark Barron S
2. Josh Robinson CB
3. Chandler Jones DE
4. Nate Potter OT
5. Russell Wilson/Kellen Moore QB
7. Jeff Demps RB
7. Brandon Marshall LB
I see no way that this happens. If it did I'd spooge.

DEATH NOTE MAFIA SIGNUP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
oh please. as if canadians even know what beer is.
Brothgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:51 PM    (permalink
Asteinebach
Veteran

Yeah, that's the idea of a dream draft
Old 04-11-2012, 11:32 AM    (permalink
Asteinebach
Veteran

So, the Lions invited Whitney Mercilus in for a visit this week. Is it a possibility that the Lions could be shopping Cliff Avril in exchange for draft compensation this year? And if so...Woo-Hoo!!!!
Old 04-11-2012, 12:22 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

I would trade Avril for a 1st round pick ... maybe.
Old 04-11-2012, 12:27 PM    (permalink
Scotty D
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The pick would have to be a 1st round or it wouldn't be worth it. I 'd just draft Mercilus and let Avril walk next year. There isn't anyone out there to use the cap space on if they trade Avril.
Old 04-11-2012, 12:32 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty D View Post
The pick would have to be a 1st round or it wouldn't be worth it. I 'd just draft Mercilus and let Avril walk next year. There isn't anyone out there to use the cap space on if they trade Avril.
Trade Avril for Asante Samuel, haha.

The Lions mis-played this if they can't get Avril's cap number to come down this season by signing him longterm. Too much cap space tied up that could be devoted elsewhere.
Old 04-11-2012, 12:37 PM    (permalink
Scotty D
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiomera View Post
Trade Avril for Asante Samuel, haha.

The Lions mis-played this if they can't get Avril's cap number to come down this season by signing him longterm. Too much cap space tied up that could be devoted elsewhere.
If Asante was a few years younger I'd do it.

The question is would Willie Young and Whitney Mercilus play close enough to Avril's level. If they do the trade would improve the defense. If they play below his level it'd probably be a wash.
Old 04-11-2012, 12:38 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

It depends more, in my opinion, on whether Suh returns to his rookie form. A lesser DE than Avril will be comparable if the DTs step it up.
Old 04-11-2012, 12:41 PM    (permalink
Scotty D
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Yeah, Avril is basically our version of Ray Edwards.
Old 04-11-2012, 01:16 PM    (permalink
Maybe This Year Mayhew
Veteran

Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe This Year Mayhew is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Suh needs to step it up some but last year was better than most think. He still did a good job in pass rush(led all DTs in pressures in only 13.5 games) just less big impact plays like sacks and his run D needs work against doubles and wham plays for sure. Plus the easy fix for the entire defense and Oline is get rid of the stupid penalties. Interesting Suh was cleaning up in 2010 when Corey Williams was playing out of his mind. Then CW came back down a little last year too. It will be interesting to see how Suh will play this year.

Young and Mercilus plus Lo Jack(though he needs to spell KVB more) could replace Avril but it's nice to know Avril can definitley make an impact with good DTs around him. The last 2 franchises Lions got deals done in July. That's how they roll with the tag.
Old 04-11-2012, 01:56 PM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This is tough. I'm not so into the draft this year because the Lions are good and pick in the 20's.. I think I prefer them to lose so I can look forward to the draft more.

By the way, doesn't it suck that once we're done being a bad team, there's a Rookie wage scale in place? That could've came in handy starting in 2007 or so.
Old 04-11-2012, 02:01 PM    (permalink
Asteinebach
Veteran

No joke.

Historically though, if you look back on Avril, he was really in a boom or bust year for 2011. He had to do well, and it was a contract year (which legitimately has an affect on some players). Maybe it'd be better to package up Cliff Avril and our first rounder and take a shot at Morris Claiborne! Tampa would listen, DE is definitely a need for them. Also, they might then have a chance at replacing Avril in round 2.
Old 04-11-2012, 02:28 PM    (permalink
Maybe This Year Mayhew
Veteran

Yeah the old rookie wage scale is the last stab by Millen. It's great having Calvin, Stafford and Suh produce and earn incentives but other teams have an advantage because we are paying them a boatload of money(where teams like Green Bay pay Clay Matthews peanuts and Rodgers/Jennings/Nelsons second contracts aren't too bad because Thompson had the option to lock them up earlier based on potential and not production other than Jennings.

Lions and Lewand did a good job this year of getting in under the cap and retaining everyone important(Wright sucks and was way overpaid by Tampa) but they restrucutred Stafford and Suh and Burleson and their numbers are huge next year(20,18 and 6). Calvin cap number isn't bad until year 4 of his contract(11,11,12,19). Stafford and Suh needs extensions to manipulate the cap after this season.

Houston,Durant,Lo Jack,Delmas, Corey, Williams, (maybe Avril), Sammie Lee Hill, Levy, Hanson and Gosder are free agents next year. Levy,Hanson and Gosder would be the first to not come back and are the easiest to replace(in some instances upgrades over Gosder). Maybe CW depending on his and Lee-Hills asking price but Fairley is the obvious replacement there.
KVBs,Burlesons and Raiola cap number are more than they are worth next year and this could be their last barring pay cuts(can't resturcture them). But with Raiola I want replaced anyway for run blocking.

Avril contract needs to be smart but I'm sure he's asking for alot. We'll see if Lions can get him to buckle a little. Lucky for the Lions, the MLB market wasn't too bad for Tulloch who was important and Backus/Hill best options are as Lions to finsih their careers.
Old 04-11-2012, 02:31 PM    (permalink
Maybe This Year Mayhew
Veteran

And the Lions were burned under Millen at DEs in contract years. Kalimba Edwards and James Hall spring to mind. As well as Corey Redding at DT. Burned with big contracts and no production after and burned bad.

Hopefully Avril still produces after the big contract. Having good DTs will help that and 2010 Avril did good things too just missed some games because of injury. He would probably have had double digit sacks in 2010 as well. The question is could Lo Jack, Young and a rookie good DE prospect do the same for less after this year.
Old 04-13-2012, 12:32 PM    (permalink
cotts1
Rookie

cotts1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cotts1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cotts1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cotts1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cotts1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cotts1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cotts1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cotts1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cotts1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cotts1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cotts1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

For anyone who thinks the Lions must draft an OT early this year, please read: http://nflfilms.nfl.com/2012/04/12/c...P11_hot_topics

This draft has got to be defense, defense, and defense.
cotts1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 01:10 AM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maybe This Year Mayhew View Post
Yeah the old rookie wage scale is the last stab by Millen. It's great having Calvin, Stafford and Suh produce and earn incentives but other teams have an advantage because we are paying them a boatload of money(where teams like Green Bay pay Clay Matthews peanuts and Rodgers/Jennings/Nelsons second contracts aren't too bad because Thompson had the option to lock them up earlier based on potential and not production other than Jennings.

Quote:
Boy, you hit the nail on the head, Johnson, Stafford and Suh's contracts are a tough pill to swallow in the current cap era with the rookie salary cap now in place. It is going to make it really difficult to operate cap wise over the next decade without having to give up on one.
Lions and Lewand did a good job this year of getting in under the cap and retaining everyone important(Wright sucks and was way overpaid by Tampa) but they restrucutred Stafford and Suh and Burleson and their numbers are huge next year(20,18 and 6). Calvin cap number isn't bad until year 4 of his contract(11,11,12,19). Stafford and Suh needs extensions to manipulate the cap after this season.

Quote:
I don't begrudge Lewand his job of retaining our talent base. It cannot be easy and some sacrifices will have to be made each year to retain our core.
Houston,Durant,Lo Jack,Delmas, Corey, Williams, (maybe Avril), Sammie Lee Hill, Levy, Hanson and Gosder are free agents next year. Levy,Hanson and Gosder would be the first to not come back and are the easiest to replace(in some instances upgrades over Gosder). Maybe CW depending on his and Lee-Hills asking price but Fairley is the obvious replacement there.
KVBs,Burlesons and Raiola cap number are more than they are worth next year and this could be their last barring pay cuts(can't resturcture them). But with Raiola I want replaced anyway for run blocking.

Avril contract needs to be smart but I'm sure he's asking for alot. We'll see if Lions can get him to buckle a little. Lucky for the Lions, the MLB market wasn't too bad for Tulloch who was important and Backus/Hill best options are as Lions to finsih their careers.
Let's hope nothing stops us in our quest for a Super Bowl sometime in the next 3 years.