Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Detroit Lions Team Forum

Detroit Lions Team Forum Discuss the Lions

Old 01-05-2012, 05:41 PM    (permalink
cotts1
Rookie

cotts1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cotts1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cotts1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cotts1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cotts1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cotts1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cotts1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cotts1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cotts1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cotts1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cotts1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd love that draft. We may have an outside chance at David DeCastro as well. I'm real high on Jayron Hosley, I like him as our 1st round pick if Burfict, Barron, DeCastro and Konz are gone. I think he's the 3rd best CB in the draft. I'm not too familiar with Trumaine Johnson, I'll have to check him out.
cotts1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 07:28 PM    (permalink
Silver & Blue
Veteran

Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotts1 View Post
I'm not too familiar with Trumaine Johnson, I'll have to check him out.
He's a CB from Montana. He's got great size for a CB and we could use him to go against some of the bigger receivers we face. I think he has only played in two games this year, but he got one INT in each of those games. Here is some video on him.

Trumaine Johnson Highlights:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twoBOATPVdw

Trumaine Johnson Hit:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Owp9zIS0L9s
"You see that foundation right there, now there's termites living there and they live there every day an you don't see them until you start losing. And when you lose they start crawling out. Now what we'll do is when they crawl out we'll get there names and remember their faces so when we start winning again we'll know who we can trust"

-Bo Schembechler
Silver & Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 08:11 AM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

These are my random draft thoughts that I'm attempting to make coherent in one location.

I am seriously torn with our first pick this year.

My Lions Needs
1) Corner help. We get killed by teams with more than 1 good WR.
2) Backus heir unless Fox gets a shot at it...
3) Stronger up front in oline. We need a power running game and a RB alone isn't enough.
4) Defensive studs to groom at DE and Lb.

I'm really not as worried about linebackers. We survived with Ashlee Palmer and Bobby Carpenter and as a unit its 3rd behind dline and secondary. I also believe that since our dline is purely pass rush first, then our linebackers need to be completely disciplined. That takes linebacker out of the 1st round for me. I'd prefer guys who've been in our system and are disciplined.

Philosophically speaking, I do believe that the 1st round pick should be a statement for the future of the franchise. Protecting Matt Stafford is a good statement. However, I also believe that as long as Calvin Johnson is alive then defenses will have to back off of us, which would lower Backus' replacement priority a couple notches. I think we can get away with an average player there, especially if we're not picking in top 10 anymore. Picking a Left tackle would be dependent on the combine, but as of now it isn't my pick in the 1st.

Now I believe I've narrowed it down to "CB help", "stronger on the interior oline", and "de stud" for the 1st rounder. I tend to value interior linemen as 2nd-5th round picks. I'm pretty trigger shy unless its a center that can make line adjustments himself for a 1st round pick. If we stumble on a cornerback that we like then we should take him. Houston and Wright are #2s. Teams that spread us out kill us. We can help on one of their matchups, but when we start relying on McDonald, Smith, or Berry to cover slot guys then they inevitably get burned deep for long scores. I like Spievey and Delmas, but they are merely starters and not Pro Bowl guys. We need a matchup "win" in the secondary. I also think that our corner should be drafted high, because I am tired of corners with weaknesses. The later we draft one, the more likely they'll be slower with good hands or merely fast without hands and we'll be no different than where we are at now. That leaves DE stud. We do have control of Avril, but Dline dominance is 98% of what our defense is about. It would have to be the right player here, but if we find a Dumervil/Orakpo type guy then we should snag him. Mercilus has the production, the passion, the size, and I believe the tools. He's undervalued in every professional mock draft right now, but he's a legit 1st round talent. We pay premiums for 3rd down control, which means Quarterbacks, Pass Rushers, and Cornerbacks. I'm not concerned about depth or Willie Young, its using the 1st round pick to further label "pass rush" as a pillar of the franchise. I don't want to wind up in a situation next year where Avril gets hurt and then KVB runs out of gas to make us look even worse than the Patriots D did this season.

Based on most likely draft scenarios...I see Janoris Jenkins, Mercilus, and Konz being there at our pick location. I'd recommend either:
A. drafting Mercilus or Konz
B. trading up for Claiborne or Kirkpatrick
Jenkins has character concerns, spent a year playing against lesser talent and is more of a gamble that I don't want to take. I also have a couple growing concerns about Dennard. I'd rather blow a 2nd rounder and grab a guy with less questions than take a chance on him. I see the Eagles at pick 15 as good trade partners if Kirkpatrick gets past Carolina at 8.

I want the best players at their positions for our pick. I don't want the 4th best corner. I can see scenarios where Mercilus ends up being more productive than Coples from this class. Basically I don't think Scouts Inc or most sites have even properly evaluated him yet.

And yes...our 4th or 5th "need" ends up being my 1st round pick.

Prowler's Newb Guide

Last edited by Prowler : 01-08-2012 at 08:23 AM.
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 11:26 AM    (permalink
wicket
All-Pro

wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Since i kinda like the lions im really hoping gilmore falls to yall in the second

Saints 2014 draft wish list:
- No pass rusher till the fourth round (or preferably at all)
- Corner or Wideout in the first
- No reaching
- No Kelvin Benjamin
wicket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 11:56 AM    (permalink
Babylon
Legend

Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Babylon is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Not sure i've seen worse tackling LBs than i saw last night in New Orleans. I think as time goes on that front will do a better job of keeping blockers off the second level of the defense but that trio as it stands now isnt winning any championships.

On a sidenote the Stafford to Johnson connection, while still young, is the most dynamic i've ever seen and some of you know that spans quite some time.
Babylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 12:59 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I would not be the least bit disappointed with a draft of only defenders.
Old 01-08-2012, 01:09 PM    (permalink
noondog
Veteran

noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.noondog is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiomera View Post
Word to the big bird. If we deviate from D, I only want it to be for O-line.

Crazyass sig by BoneKrusher
noondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 01:18 PM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

but McShay says we need another Kevin Jones!

Prowler's Newb Guide
Old 01-08-2012, 02:22 PM    (permalink
wingboy2999
Pro Bowler

wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wingboy2999 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiomera View Post
I agree. I'd love love love LOVE if we could snag Mark Barron and pair him with Delmas.

Sweet Living

I remember 9/24/08
wingboy2999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 12:29 AM    (permalink
Scotty D
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I feel like we have a ton of needs and positions to upgrade. I'm not happy with a lot of positions. The one thing about having a franchise QB and Megatron though is that they can cover up a lot of deficiencies (like Peyton's roster and Brady's defense).

Anyone know our draft pick now? Is it set?
Old 01-09-2012, 12:44 AM    (permalink
cotts1
Rookie

cotts1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cotts1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cotts1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cotts1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cotts1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cotts1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cotts1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cotts1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cotts1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cotts1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.cotts1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yes, I believe we have the 23rd pick.
Old 01-09-2012, 12:47 AM    (permalink
Scotty D
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Yes, I believe we have the 23rd pick.
That is still a good spot. We can get a starter there.
Old 01-09-2012, 12:56 AM    (permalink
cotts1
Rookie

Yea I'm sure we'll find a good player. Just gonna be hard for them to decide which way to go. I'm hoping for Burfict or Barron. Don't think either will make it to us though.
Old 01-09-2012, 01:02 AM    (permalink
Silver & Blue
Veteran

Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Silver & Blue is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Yea I'm sure we'll find a good player. Just gonna be hard for them to decide which way to go. I'm hoping for Burfict or Barron. Don't think either will make it to us though.
Both would be a immediate upgrade, I think Burfict has a slightly better chance of falling then Barron due to his attitude. We could have really used either of those guys last night.
"You see that foundation right there, now there's termites living there and they live there every day an you don't see them until you start losing. And when you lose they start crawling out. Now what we'll do is when they crawl out we'll get there names and remember their faces so when we start winning again we'll know who we can trust"

-Bo Schembechler
Silver & Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 09:31 AM    (permalink
detroit4life
Pro Bowler

detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

not a huge fan of barron as hard hitting safeties are getting flagged more and more.

I think we would have to think about moving up is kirkpatrick falls past 12 which is a legit possibility.

if not burfict or BA CB
Old 01-09-2012, 11:59 AM    (permalink
cotts1
Rookie

Yea that is a concern but I don't think that should make the Lions shy away from him entirely. He's still a vast upgrade over Spievey IMO. Barron is excellent in run support, would immediately improve that aspect of our defense. Jury is still out on how good his pass coverage is. We'll see.

I'm not sure I want the Lions trading up. I love Kirkpatrick but I think we need to keep all our picks. This team needs good depth just as much as it needs starters.
Old 01-09-2012, 12:07 PM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

I'll be watching the Alabama defense closely tonight. I like the idea of a trade up for Kirkpatrick.

Prowler's Newb Guide
Old 01-09-2012, 12:30 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think Sunday's game really exposed our weaknesses and CB was the least of our problems. Suh was terrible and really had a bad season as teams have learned to adjust to using his strengths against him and unless he adjusts next season, our DL becomes a priority. We likely cut Corey Williams, and promote Fairley/Hill to the position and replacing Vanden Bosch then becomes a top priority because he is no longer able to provide a pass rush.
Fixing our pass rush has to be the top priority if we want to take the next step.
Yes, our OL needs some replacement parts and a stud at RB would be nice, but they both may have to wait.

Please people, let's keep the draft real, Kilpatrick isn't going to be anywhere near where we draft, far more likely to go top 10 than fall anywhere near us.

This is a very weak draft year and drafting at #23 likely means we will only be getting a borderline first rounder if that. I have an awful lot of faith in Meyhew to bring home the bacon but it will be a really tough job finding some talent in this year's draft after so many juniors declared last year before the rookie salary cap came into being.
Old 01-09-2012, 01:47 PM    (permalink
detroit4life
Pro Bowler

detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.detroit4life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamcanadian View Post
I think Sunday's game really exposed our weaknesses and CB was the least of our problems. Suh was terrible and really had a bad season as teams have learned to adjust to using his strengths against him and unless he adjusts next season, our DL becomes a priority. We likely cut Corey Williams, and promote Fairley/Hill to the position and replacing Vanden Bosch then becomes a top priority because he is no longer able to provide a pass rush.
Fixing our pass rush has to be the top priority if we want to take the next step.
Yes, our OL needs some replacement parts and a stud at RB would be nice, but they both may have to wait.

Please people, let's keep the draft real, Kilpatrick isn't going to be anywhere near where we draft, far more likely to go top 10 than fall anywhere near us.

This is a very weak draft year and drafting at #23 likely means we will only be getting a borderline first rounder if that. I have an awful lot of faith in Meyhew to bring home the bacon but it will be a really tough job finding some talent in this year's draft after so many juniors declared last year before the rookie salary cap came into being.
In my opinion Kirkpatrick falls come draft time. Not suggesting he fall to our pick but if it takes a 3rd or 4th round pick to move up and get him i think you take it and get a good talent at a position of need.

Fact is the top 10 has 2 QBs, atleast 2 OTs, atleast 1 WR, 1 RB and claiborne pretty solidified already. Plenty of other talent in there to have Kirkpatrick take a Akamumara type dive into the teens.

The more i read about Barron the more I see his as a bust. You can't break a play up in the NFL by laying a hit anymore. Sure Barron would help in rush defense but aren't we drafting a safety for pass coverage (our biggest weakness)? He seems more of a roy williams safety. These type of safeties are getting virtuously extinct from this league and not what we need to be using a first round pick on.
Old 01-09-2012, 01:51 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like your list but it only totals 7, I look for Kilpatrick to go top 10 without much effort. Just isn't much talent in this draft for anybody to slip.
Old 01-09-2012, 01:55 PM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

We should probably focus on Robert Lester then, the OTHER safety from Alabama. He's more of a centerfielder and is supposedly great in coverage. I have only seen 1 Alabama game this year, so I'll have my eye on him too. He's a Junior and still undecided but might jump. He should be somewhere in the 2nd round. Its possible he could jump to late 1st with a great combine, but I don't see it happening.

*and yeah, he might even grade out to be a 3rd round type on most boards.

Prowler's Newb Guide

Last edited by Prowler : 01-09-2012 at 01:59 PM.
Old 01-09-2012, 02:01 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

IMO, you can draft DB's from here to kingdom come but unless we can apply a pass rush, it won't change a thing. We will continue to give up 500 yards per game till we fix the pass rush.

Anyways, I'm believe in Mayhew and will accept any direction he goes in, CB, RB, OL, DE's etc. Whoever he believes in is good enough for me.
Old 01-09-2012, 02:02 PM    (permalink
detroit4life
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamcanadian View Post
I like your list but it only totals 7, I look for Kilpatrick to go top 10 without much effort. Just isn't much talent in this draft for anybody to slip.
Possibility is there, I'm just pointing out that while there are 3 open spots for top 10 but people said the same thing about Prince last year. Depending on what it would take we should consider moving up. Atleast make the phone call, we did it last year for peterson and refused to over pay, i'd expect we do the same this year.

What are thought on janoris jenkins? character issues but talent is certainly there
Old 01-09-2012, 02:09 PM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

Janoris has good instincts, solid tackler, great pedigree, played at Florida as a true Freshman, but I'm seeing Patrick Robinson with additional baggage. I think he's solid, but I don't want another player with the same caliber as Eric Wright. I prefer a trade up.

I've also heard a lot of concerns about Dennard being a "holder" and I think there's a decent drop off after Claiborne and Kirkpatrick.

Prowler's Newb Guide
Old 01-09-2012, 02:25 PM    (permalink
detroit4life
Pro Bowler

Also as a 2nd or 3rd round option if not later I think David Molk, center from Michigan certainly has pro potential and wouldn't mind taking him at some point to let him play behind Raiola for a year or two