Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 04-02-2012, 10:17 AM    (permalink
wogitalia
Pro Bowler

wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I hear what you are saying... but Tolkein is the greatest fantasy writer, period.

I really do need to read GoT though, wish I had more free time!

Props to BK on the sig!
wogitalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 10:20 AM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Its called A song of Ice and Fire
Old 04-02-2012, 10:21 AM    (permalink
Razor
Pro Bowler

Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I have to say that the fantasy genre has a tough time keeping me entertained. But perhaps this is different.. I'll start by watching the first episode and take it from there.. Thanks guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
I'm a whiny little kunt. Feel sorry for me as I go masturbate to a picture of my mom dressed as a teletubby.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 10:32 AM    (permalink
Gay Ork Wang
Matt Forte = Baby Marcus Allen
Icon

Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gay Ork Wang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wogitalia View Post
I hear what you are saying... but Tolkein is the greatest fantasy writer, period.

All i say is: No.

Gay Ork Wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 10:37 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidae View Post
I'd call it better. I've read Sanderson and Jordan. Jordan might be the most infuriating writer of all time. He takes five pages to explain something that can be done in one. It's a great way to paint a picture in your mind, but 10+ books of that is just flat out ANNOYING.

Sanderson is the new kid on the block and he is very talented. Mistborn is a great series and easy to pick up and read, and I've heard nothing but good things about his new series Stormlight Archive.

I'm also not a fan of a series where NO ONE DIES. It isn't realistic.

All of that said, neither of them touch George R R Martin. At least for me.

I'm just glad you didn't include Terry Goodkind. We would have had to resort to fisticuffs.
I agree that Jordan got pretty bad in his later books. I am kind of glad he died before he finished the books because books 6 and 11 are hard to read, and 7-10 were unbearable. I don't know how I got through 7-10. I remember one chapter in book 10 where the character didn't even leave her tent. She just sat there thinking about stuff the entire time. That was the whole chapter: a woman sitting in a tent thinking about dumb ****. I think that entire book, which was probably more than 700 pages, only covered a 2 week span of time. Ridiculous.

Sanderson I think is new enough that you can't classify him. He killed off a pretty important character in Mistborn, and I don't use "will the author kill important people" as a main factor when rating a book. I read the first book of the Stormlight Archive and it was incredible. The big problem is that I will probably be in my 50s by the time he's done with it.

I read the Sword of Truth series. It was ok. His battle descriptions were entertaining. But a lot of it was really stupid, and he pretty obviously stole a lot of his ideas from the Wheel of Time. And once he started putting Ayn Rand ******** into the plot it got really bad.

Damn I sound like a complete dork. I haven't even read a book in probably a year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
I have to say that the fantasy genre has a tough time keeping me entertained. But perhaps this is different.. I'll start by watching the first episode and take it from there.. Thanks guys.
As far as "fantasy" there isn't much fantasy at all, especially in the first season. It is basically a medieval story set in a fictional world. Not much magic, if any. I can't remember right now but it's not a bunch of wizards and witches flying around on brooms and magic carpets.

i done stole dis sig
killxswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 10:38 AM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's about the same as a GOAT QB discussion. There are a few that can be supported in the discussion.

Personally, my childhood spent reading Tolkein and C.S. Lewis will keep them near the top of the list. But Martin is a clear favorite if you're gripe w/fantasy is the lack of realism; specifically death, sex, and much wider gray areas of morality.

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs
FlyingElvis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 10:41 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingElvis View Post
It's about the same as a GOAT QB discussion. There are a few that can be supported in the discussion.

Personally, my childhood spent reading Tolkein and C.S. Lewis will keep them near the top of the list. But Martin is a clear favorite if you're gripe w/fantasy is the lack of realism; specifically death, sex, and much wider gray areas of morality.
I'm not sure Martin's world has that much gray area. It's not even right vs. wrong so much as multiple groups wanting power for themselves. If you take a step back, once that one important character dies in the first book (or first season if you're only watching the show), there aren't any particularly "good" characters. Just people driven by desire for power or revenge or both. Which I suppose does make it a lot more realistic.

i done stole dis sig
Old 04-02-2012, 10:46 AM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Book 4 is useless, it probably could have been combined with book 5. Still have to finish 4.
Old 04-02-2012, 10:48 AM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
I agree that Jordan got pretty bad in his later books. I am kind of glad he died before he finished the books because books 6 and 11 are hard to read, and 7-10 were unbearable. I don't know how I got through 7-10. I remember one chapter in book 10 where the character didn't even leave her tent. She just sat there thinking about stuff the entire time. That was the whole chapter: a woman sitting in a tent thinking about dumb ****. I think that entire book, which was probably more than 700 pages, only covered a 2 week span of time. Ridiculous.

Sanderson I think is new enough that you can't classify him. He killed off a pretty important character in Mistborn, and I don't use "will the author kill important people" as a main factor when rating a book. I read the first book of the Stormlight Archive and it was incredible. The big problem is that I will probably be in my 50s by the time he's done with it.

I read the Sword of Truth series. It was ok. His battle descriptions were entertaining. But a lot of it was really stupid, and he pretty obviously stole a lot of his ideas from the Wheel of Time. And once he started putting Ayn Rand ******** into the plot it got really bad.

Damn I sound like a complete dork. I haven't even read a book in probably a year.
My biggest problem with Goodkind is his rampant use of deus ex machina. Oh no, we can't win.. but wait, now we can, because I remembered or thought of something that would work INSTANTLY!

I'd rather read books 5-10 of Wheel of Time for the rest of my life than read a single book of Sword of Truth again.

And I agree about the Stormlight Archive series. It's going to suck because he said it'll be something like a 10 book series. Don't get me wrong, I'll probably get through it all, but I will be pretty damn old by the time he's finished.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingElvis View Post

Tolkein will always have a special place in my heart, but it's hard for me to go back and read his stuff now. After reading Martin, and more specifically Glen Cook, it's hard for me to read the older fantasy stuff.

Speaking of Glen Cook, if you haven't read his Black Company series, you should DEFINITELY check it out. It's a really great series and it's unlike most of the fantasy stuff out there. The first three books are his best, but the first six are worth reading. They're basically two different trilogies.

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 03:41 PM    (permalink
Vox Populi
Pro Bowler

Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Don't read the spoiler if you haven't read all of the books unless you're interested in speculation-ish stuff about the future of the series.

Vox Populi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 04:42 PM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

While I really love this show...This thread is upsetting in the lack of Chronicles of Amber mentions for greatest fantasy series of all time. Roger Zelasny is amazing.

EDIT: Speaking Zelasny and Martin, anyone read any of the Wild Cards books?

BK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcheTen View Post
JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.

Last edited by Rosebud : 04-02-2012 at 04:45 PM.
Rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 07:05 PM    (permalink
nepg
All-NFLDC

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wogitalia View Post

Tolkien takes forever to get to the point. I don't think he's particularly good/great, just very wordy (dude, I know what a ******* tree looks like, you don't need to describe every single one the characters walk by) and the world he created is pretty cool. All he really has going for him, in my mind, is a cool world.

You could chop down each of the Tolkien books by at least 25% by getting rid of all of the filler and fluff words and the books wouldn't lose anything. ****, they might be even better if you did that.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:05 PM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Icon

Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Any other Skins fans enjoying the presence of not one, but two former cast members?

Caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 09:05 PM    (permalink
Nalej
All-Pro

Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nalej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Just saw the premier. Awesome. Excited for Sunday night!

Nalej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 11:15 PM    (permalink
XxXdragonXxX
Pro Bowler

XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.XxXdragonXxX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I get so angry every time an episode ends, I just want it to go on forever.

This is easily the best show on TV in my opinion.
Old 04-03-2012, 05:01 AM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Icon

Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Anyone catch the pre-air episode 2 yet? I don't know whether to wait or not...

Caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 09:25 AM    (permalink
FlyingElvis
All-Pro

FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.FlyingElvis is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

pre-air? I don't even watch the previews of the next episode when the show ends. lol

Sig img shamelessly stolen from teh interwebs
FlyingElvis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 10:08 AM    (permalink
Razor
Pro Bowler

Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Razor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Alright, I just watched the first two episode and this looks really good. It's still difficult to keep track of who everyone is and their relations but I can't wait for when I have the time to watch the next episode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElectricEye View Post
I'm a whiny little kunt. Feel sorry for me as I go masturbate to a picture of my mom dressed as a teletubby.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 11:09 AM    (permalink
nepg
All-NFLDC

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
Alright, I just watched the first two episode and this looks really good. It's still difficult to keep track of who everyone is and their relations but I can't wait for when I have the time to watch the next episode.
I sometimes go to a got wiki after an episode to get clarification.
Old 04-03-2012, 11:19 AM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

read the books to know everything.

But wiki is good, they have tree diagrams.
Old 04-03-2012, 02:23 PM    (permalink
Vox Populi
Pro Bowler

Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vox Populi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The 2nd episode got leaked by the way. I won't post about it for a bit since I'm guessing no one else has seen it yet.
Vox Populi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 03:00 PM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

and if they wanted to watch it, there is a device called google. it has a search engine that people can type "game of thrones s02e02" in to it.

or I guess HBO.

Prowler's Newb Guide
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 03:02 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Are you guys talking about the 1st season or did the 2nd start up?
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 03:05 PM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

2nd season started this past Sunday at 9pm and the 2nd episode was/is? available on HBO Go already.

Prowler's Newb Guide
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 03:06 PM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

How graphic was the baby killing in the first episode? I know it happens, I've read the books, and violence doesn't usually bother me, but violence towards little kids and babies bothers me a lot more now that I'm a dad.

i done stole dis sig