Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 06-17-2006, 11:49 AM    (permalink
Texico From Mexico

Not everyone can be added to a poll so hence the OTHER option.
Old 06-17-2006, 11:51 AM    (permalink
Gang Green
Pro Bowler

Gang Green hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Bob Gibson was best in the clutch. Nolan Ryan is best all time.
Old 06-17-2006, 11:52 AM    (permalink

I gotta go with cy.
Old 06-17-2006, 11:53 AM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd have to go with Walter Johnson as he threw up to 99 in the deadball era and was just dominant. He should be on there at least over Nolan Ryan, who really isn't a top 20 pitcher.
Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 11:54 AM    (permalink
Texico From Mexico

I picked Koufax because in a 10 year period I think he was the greatest pitcher to ever play the game. No he did not have the longevity of Rayn and others because he threw himself out.
Old 06-17-2006, 11:56 AM    (permalink
VoteLynnSwan
All-Pro

VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's Walter Johnson, can't believe he's not even on the list. Nolan Ryan and Tom sever shouldn't even be on the list.

Sig by me... Hold the applause.
VoteLynnSwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 11:56 AM    (permalink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur
I'd have to go with Walter Johnson as he threw up to 99 in the deadball era and was just dominant. He should be on there at least over Nolan Ryan, who really isn't a top 20 pitcher.
i agree johnson should be there but so should nolan ryan. i dont think maddux should. he has great numbers but hes not better than johnson.
Old 06-17-2006, 11:57 AM    (permalink
Texico From Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoteLynnSwan
It's Walter Johnson, can't believe he's not even on the list. Nolan Ryan and Tom sever shouldn't even be on the list.
I had to mix it up, was not going to put 20 people on the list...had to try and mix up eras as well. I could have put Ford, Nikero, Palmer and so many others...
Old 06-17-2006, 12:15 PM    (permalink
Smokey Joe
All-Pro

Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think I gotta go with Cy Young. When it all comes down to it, only one stat matters and that is W. And Cy got 511 of them. Plus, he had a career E.R.A. of 2.6 or something.

Christy Matthewson, Walter Johnson, and maybe even Grover Cleveland Alexander should be on that list.

Take off Maddux and Clemens, they're not even done with their careers.

^Thanks to Eaglez.Fan for the sweet sig!

Smokey Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 12:18 PM    (permalink
rainbeaukid2
All-Pro

rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rainbeaukid2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

nolan ryan is the best of all time.
Old 06-17-2006, 12:21 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey Joe
I think I gotta go with Cy Young. When it all comes down to it, only one stat matters and that is W. And Cy got 511 of them. Plus, he had a career E.R.A. of 2.6 or something.

Christy Matthewson, Walter Johnson, and maybe even Grover Cleveland Alexander should be on that list.

Take off Maddux and Clemens, they're not even done with their careers.
Maddux is a guy that deserves to be on there. He has dominating command and has been extremely consistent. So does Clemens. Cy Young only had 511 wins because his arm lasted so long and he pitched in the deadball era, he never had any dominating stuff really.

The only player I would take off the list is Nolan Ryan, because he never had the best control.
Old 06-17-2006, 01:10 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoteLynnSwan
If you don't think Tom Seaver should be on this list then you don't even belong in the discussion. He has a career E.R.A below 3 which most of these guys don't have. He also has over 300 wins and 3,500 K's.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 01:14 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I agree, I can't believe and old timer like yourself would leave guys like Walter Johnson and Grover Alexander off.

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 01:15 PM    (permalink
Texico From Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by thule
I agree, I can't believe and old timer like yourself would leave guys like Walter Johnson and Grover Alexander off.
You need to go back and read what I wrote...umm in two places actually.
Old 06-17-2006, 01:16 PM    (permalink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texico From Mexico
Quote:
thats not an excuse for not putting on johnson
Old 06-17-2006, 01:49 PM    (permalink
Texico From Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardsalltheway
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texico From Mexico
Quote:
thats not an excuse for not putting on johnson
Becuase I was typing off the top of my head....you are an idiot. Sorry, but you saw my reasons. There are so many I could have listed and just threw it out there. That is what the "other" is for
Old 06-17-2006, 01:59 PM    (permalink
P-L
Head Moderator
Legend

P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I agree Walter Johnson is a top pitcher of all-time, but using the fact that he pitched in the deadball era isn't really supporting that. The deadball era was when there was little offense and pitchers dominated. During the deadball era HR were a premium and pitchers had way more advantages than hitters did.

Cy Young isn't in the top 5 pitchers of all-time. He had 500+ wins, but at the same time he holds the record for most losses as well. The reason Young was able to rack up so many wins was because of how long he pitched for and how many games he pitched in a season. Young has more career losses than Tom Seaver does wins.

Personally, I like Roger Clemens. I know he isn't done with his career but he is by far the best pitcher of our era, which is arguably the hardest era to pitch in. In the current era is opposite of the deadball era. Everyone and their mother hits 30 HR a season while HR and R are all at an all-time high. Add in the steroid scandal (assuming he didn't do roids) and Clemens is pitching in an era where offense dominates. He has 300 wins and will probably finish 8th all-time, an amazing 4502 K (2nd to only Nolan Ryan), a career ERA of 3.12, 7 Cy Young awards (Most ever), and a 1.17 WHIP.
P-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 02:13 PM    (permalink
Smokey Joe
All-Pro

Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriots-Lions
I agree Walter Johnson is a top pitcher of all-time, but using the fact that he pitched in the deadball era isn't really supporting that. The deadball era was when there was little offense and pitchers dominated. During the deadball era HR were a premium and pitchers had way more advantages than hitters did.

Cy Young isn't in the top 5 pitchers of all-time. He had 500+ wins, but at the same time he holds the record for most losses as well. The reason Young was able to rack up so many wins was because of how long he pitched for and how many games he pitched in a season. Young has more career losses than Tom Seaver does wins.
Personally, I like Roger Clemens. I know he isn't done with his career but he is by far the best pitcher of our era, which is arguably the hardest era to pitch in. In the current era is opposite of the deadball era. Everyone and their mother hits 30 HR a season while HR and R are all at an all-time high. Add in the steroid scandal (assuming he didn't do roids) and Clemens is pitching in an era where offense dominates. He has 300 wins and will probably finish 8th all-time, an amazing 4502 K (2nd to only Nolan Ryan), a career ERA of 3.12, 7 Cy Young awards (Most ever), and a 1.17 WHIP.
So what! Because he was a man, and was able to start 50 games a season means he doesn't count? He had a great arm, so he isn't a top pitcher? Yes, he had a lot of losses, but when you take his win to loss ratio it is better then Walter Johnson. Plus, he pitched in nearly 1000 games, and he held a career ERA of 2.6. You cannot tell me that he is not one of the top 5 pitchers, if not the best.

^Thanks to Eaglez.Fan for the sweet sig!

Smokey Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 02:14 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think Pedro Martinez is the greatest pitcher of our era when you take into account his dominating stretch from 1997-2003. Clemens never had a 6 year strecth like that and arguably it was better than Koufax's 5/6 year period of his dominant pitching. Pedro in 200 in the AL in the midst of the steroid era in a small ballpark had a 1.74 E.R.A with 313 K's and only 37 BB's. You'll be hard pressed to find any pitcher in the history of baseball have as good a season as that.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 02:43 PM    (permalink
Tobzilla
Pro Bowler

Tobzilla hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.Tobzilla hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Id say Nolan Ryan. Bob Gibson was great too.

PM me for sig requests
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Connery View Post
Suck it Trebek!
Tobzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 02:51 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080
I think Pedro Martinez is the greatest pitcher of our era when you take into account his dominating stretch from 1997-2003. Clemens never had a 6 year strecth like that and arguably it was better than Koufax's 5/6 year period of his dominant pitching. Pedro in 200 in the AL in the midst of the steroid era in a small ballpark had a 1.74 E.R.A with 313 K's and only 37 BB's. You'll be hard pressed to find any pitcher in the history of baseball have as good a season as that.
I agree...Pedro's span of dominance has been great. I think it comes down to a personal preference when your breaking down Pedro vs. Clemens. Both have been and are currently great.

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 02:52 PM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Pedro and Walter Johnson
Old 06-17-2006, 06:31 PM    (permalink
GB12
Team Leader
Icon

GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardsalltheway
I gotta go with cy.
I agree 511 is almost impossible to beat
GB12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 06:43 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey Joe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriots-Lions

So what! Because he was a man, and was able to start 50 games a season means he doesn't count? He had a great arm, so he isn't a top pitcher? Yes, he had a lot of losses, but when you take his win to loss ratio it is better then Walter Johnson. Plus, he pitched in nearly 1000 games, and he held a career ERA of 2.6. You cannot tell me that he is not one of the top 5 pitchers, if not the best.
Walter Johnson played on a terrible team nearly his whole career, which is why he doesn't have so many wins. Walter has a much better ERA, more SO's, and would adapt much better to this era than Cy Young would.
Old 06-17-2006, 06:49 PM    (permalink
Jimmy
All-Pro

Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jimmy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Nolan Ryan. Simple choice for me.
Jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote