Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 02-07-2012, 09:22 PM    (permalink
Wootylicous
All-NFLDC

Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You also just lost uh uh!

#MoncriefArmy
Wootylicous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 11:08 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hines View Post
Geno just had a sick shootout goal.
I think the NHL might need to look at those spin-of-rama goals in shootouts and whether they should be legal. In the two times I just saw the shot on SportsCenter, the puck definitely came to a complete stop, which isn't supposed to be legal in shootouts if the letter of the law is strictly applied.

Todd Bertuzzi did that move a month ago and was much more fluid about it and kept the puck in motion, but even then there was some chatter about it.

Ultimately, I doubt they change anything cause it'd diminish shootout excitement for fans, but you can see why goalies would be miffed about it.
Old 02-07-2012, 11:09 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What is wrong with the Hawks? Lost 5 in a row?

I forget, do we have a resident Chicago fan here?
Old 02-07-2012, 11:50 PM    (permalink
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
All-NFLDC

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

How ridiculous is it that Washington would be in 8th without the division champ rule? I've seen it a bunch before the Caps got good, that the SE champ would be in 6th or 7th without the seeding rule, but 8th is nuts. If the Isles somehow make a push and end up with more points than the SE champ but finish in 9th, that could cause some interesting chatter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
do i tell you when to flip the burger?
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 08:00 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Sam Gagner scores again. This time on a complete breakaway.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:41 PM    (permalink
SuperMcGee
Team Leader
Legend

SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hold my dick, Boston.
SuperMcGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 08:45 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Another goal for Sam Gagner vs. Detroit

He has both the Oilers' goals tonight.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:56 PM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiomera View Post
Another goal for Sam Gagner vs. Detroit

He has both the Oilers' goals tonight.
Are they going to trade him while hes hot?
Old 02-08-2012, 09:03 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
**** yeah, zetts.
2 goals in the last 24 games (including tonight). He needs to pick it up. He's been my biggest concern about the Wings this season.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:04 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimDris View Post
Are they going to trade him while hes hot?
I don't think so, but they probably should ... for a defenseman.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:16 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
no disagreement whatsoever. i haven't seen a lot of games in the last couple of weeks, but from what i've seen, he's looked like the weak link on every line i've seen him out on.
He just now hit 10 goals and has played every game. $6 million salary demands more. He once scored 40.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:52 PM    (permalink
SuperMcGee
Team Leader
Legend

SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Things have been pretty good lately. Only 5 goals allowed in the last 5 games, coinciding with Ehrhoff's return. Him and Myers together is fun to watch, so smooth and able to recover so easily. It also lets Ehrhoff play on the left, which has been working nicely. Miller is playing well, and even Leino is being a positive on the top line.
Old 02-09-2012, 01:54 AM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Woohoo! Hearing Andy Mcdonald could be back by the weekend. The news on Alex Steen isn't as good though, he may be out for the season.
Old 02-09-2012, 02:55 AM    (permalink
Borat
All-NFLDC

Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Borat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Pathetic showing for the Sharks. They looked awful.

On another note, I'm no hockey-fight expert, but it seems kind of chickenshit for one guy to fight with a visor on and then have the nerve to rip the other guys helmet off. I'm looking at you Cory Sarich.

I'm sorry Brian Sabean. I was wrong. I think I might have been right, but you have Scoreboard.
Borat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 03:47 AM    (permalink
holt_bruce81
All-Pro

holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.holt_bruce81 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I thought players usually throw off their helmet when fighting.
Old 02-09-2012, 06:03 AM    (permalink
Verloren
Veteran

Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Verloren is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by holt_bruce81 View Post
I thought players usually throw off their helmet when fighting.
Depends. If off the faceoff/time to get set then yes. If it's after a big hit followed by mugging, then usually no. No time to pull off their own bucket.

Usually guys with a visor who instigate will get an extra penalty.
Verloren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 08:39 AM    (permalink
Job Reborn
Veteran

Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
He just now hit 10 goals and has played every game. $6 million salary demands more. He once scored 40.
Believe me, it could be worse...
Job Reborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 10:29 AM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Job Reborn View Post
Believe me, it could be worse...
Hahaha, I know.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:53 AM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

I've been getting into a lot of debates with people lately who think fighting needs to be outlawed from hockey and I'm curious what you guys think. I imagine almost none of you think it should be banned, but I'm curious to know your specific reasons why.

I think it would be a major mistake to eliminate it, but not because it's a hockey tradition or because it's entertaining. (People only making those types of arguments aren't thinking about the problem analytically, in my opinion. Those two reasons would certainly never factor into an honest discussion of the problem that has risen from the associated health concerns).

Most significantly, I think it has to stay because without it, players won't have to answer for illegal hits. Fighting is an indispensable deterrent and without it, we'd see an increase in aggression elsewhere on the ice with more dirty hits. The threat of potentially having to own up to your actions (via fighting) works to discourage players from going over the line elsewhere on the ice (hits to head and from behind, namely).

I'm all for weeding out pre-arranged fights that don't occur for any particular reason, and I don't think the NHL needs enforcer-like players whose only job is to play five minutes per game and get into a fight. But in limited circumstances, fighting has a definite purpose.

I'm aware that there are health concerns associated with fighting, but the majority of concussions seem to be sustained in big body checks and those would only increase and perhaps intensify without fighting (which by the way, is a risk the player knowingly assumes in a scrap).

What do you guys think? I'm looking for additional opinions to support (or detract) from my way of thinking.

Last edited by Xiomera : 02-09-2012 at 10:57 AM.
Xiomera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 12:10 PM    (permalink
SuperMcGee
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Fewer goals than Drew Miller. Awesome.

Hopefully we pick up some wins with our next few at home. We've gotten at least a point in 9 straight at home. We are actually playing good and exciting hockey.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:15 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMcgee View Post
Fewer goals than Drew Miller. Awesome.

Hopefully we pick up some wins with our next few at home. We've gotten at least a point in 9 straight at home. We are actually playing good and exciting hockey.
Drew Miller has been godly lately. He has a goal in four of the five games since the all-star break, all of which came in the third period and were either game-tying or go-ahead goals at the time.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:29 PM    (permalink
SuperMcGee
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Drew Miller has been godly lately. He has a goal in four of the five games since the all-star break, all of which came in the third period and were either game-tying or go-ahead goals at the time.
His brother has only let in 4 goals in the 4 games since the break. Best he has played all year, aided by actually competent play from the defense.
Old 02-09-2012, 01:26 PM    (permalink
Jensen
SWDC Mafia
All-Pro

Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jensen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Xio, the main reason I've heard people wanting fighting banned is because it causes a lot of injuries (completely false) and that three players who fought a lot died this summer (R.I.P.) and think their deaths are only related to fighting in hockey (again, false). I agree with your post about why it's needed, but the entertainment and tradition reasons are just as valid. I don't feel like going in depth about it, but I've brought my friends to games before, I know people that have brough other people to games before, and they want to see fights too. Besides scoring a goal, nothing else gets fans out of their seats and cheering except for maybe a big hit every now and then. Tradition in sports is a big thing no matter what sport it is. Something that is this prevalent in the game, and has been for many many years, is not something you can simply just take out of the game because the new era of soccer moms say so. Maybe if the world wasn't becoming just one big giant vagina this wouldn't be an issue.

Back to people wanting fighting banned...for the first part about injuries, this just about sums up the debate:

Quote:
"The fights aren't causing the concussions," he says in an interview. "I can say that without a doubt."
Dr. Milzman's observations are not just limited to anecdotes. He and a group of researchers have been studying NHL fights - literally watching slow-motion replays of every exchange of punches in the league last season - and they believe they have statistical evidence to back up his assertions. They documented 710 fights in 1,239 pre-season and regular-season games, and counted 17 injuries, for a rate of 1.12% per combatant per fight. His top-line conclusion: the risk of injury from a hockey fight is "pretty damn low."
For the second part about the deaths of Boogaard, Belak, and Rypien:

First of all, Rypien had been mentally unstable for awhile and had to take breaks away from hockey for personal reasons more than once. There is no way you can correlate that to fighting.

Belak (allegedly) died from erotic asphyxiation, completely unrelateable to fighting in hockey.

Boogaard is the closest case, but fighting doesn't make you take painkillers and mix them with alcohol. There are plenty of players that fought and are doing perfectly fine in life right now. You only hear about the negatives to fighting because that is what spreads the most in the media.

BoneKrusher
Jensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 01:37 PM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So does anyone know what Paul Stastny did to make the year 2011 do him dirty like it did? He's back over a PPG since the calendar changed to 2012 and was over a PPG during the 2010 part of the 2010/2011 season.

BK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcheTen View Post
JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.
Rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 01:54 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jensen View Post
Xio, the main reason I've heard people wanting fighting banned is because it causes a lot of injuries (completely false) and that three players who fought a lot died this summer (R.I.P.) and think their deaths are only related to fighting in hockey (again, false). I agree with your post about why it's needed, but the entertainment and tradition reasons are just as valid. I don't feel like going in depth about it, but I've brought my friends to games before, I know people that have brough other people to games before, and they want to see fights too. Besides scoring a goal, nothing else gets fans out of their seats and cheering except for maybe a big hit every now and then. Tradition in sports is a big thing no matter what sport it is. Something that is this prevalent in the game, and has been for many many years, is not something you can simply just take out of the game because the new era of soccer moms say so. Maybe if the world wasn't becoming just one big giant vagina this wouldn't be an issue.

Back to people wanting fighting banned...for the first part about injuries, this just about sums up the debate:

For the second part about the deaths of Boogaard, Belak, and Rypien:

First of all, Rypien had been mentally unstable for awhile and had to take breaks away from hockey for personal reasons more than once. There is no way you can correlate that to fighting.

Belak (allegedly) died from erotic asphyxiation, completely unrelateable to fighting in hockey.

Boogaard is the closest case, but fighting doesn't make you take painkillers and mix them with alcohol. There are plenty of players that fought and are doing perfectly fine in life right now. You only hear about the negatives to fighting because that is what spreads the most in the media.
I don't dismiss the tradition and entertainment arguments. They are valid. I would just say that those wouldn't be the primary reasons the NHL would choose not to remove fighting from the game. The league won't make an emotional stand in favor of fighting, but rather a logical one based on the detriment it would have on the construct of the game itself (basically the whole deterrence argument I spelled out above).

From a fan's perspective, sure, tradition and added entertainment are huge reasons to oppose a ban.

I get tired of repeatedly having to educate casual fans or even non-fans of the sport that 99.5% of hockey injuries have nothing to do with fighting.