Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > College Football

College Football Discuss College Football

Old 08-15-2011, 01:21 PM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
Pro Bowler

JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by draftguru151 View Post
To say that dude is scum of the Earth would be an insult to scum of the Earth.
He's about to become even more hated.

Lawyer confirms.

And let's see if the ****s at ESPN and the rest of the media start blabbing about this 24/7 and sending reporters down to Miami to camp out and sniff out more details.

Quote:
Following up on a report that surfaced very late Sunday night, the lawyer for former Miami booster and convicted Ponzi schemer Nevin Shapiro has gone on the record to confirm that the NCAA will visit the Coral Gables school Monday.

The purpose of the visit by the NCAA will be to investigate claims made by Shapiro that numerous former and, most importantly, current members of the Hurricanes football program had committed NCAA violations. Specifically, Shapiro has alleged that he, the Miami Herald writes, “gave gifts and services – such as use of a yacht – to former Hurricane football players while they were attending UM.”

“It’s not about giving money – it’s about giving favors,” Shapiro’s attorney, Maria Elena Perez, told the Herald. “It’s giving suits, giving jewelry, paying for entertainment, letting them use his boat twice a week.”

Perez told the paper that she has yet to total the amount of gifts and services her client allegedly gave to the players, although she said it’s “well over thousands of dollars.” For example, Perez stated that it cost $2,000 just to fuel the yacht referred to earlier.

Perez also confirmed that her client has spoken to the NCAA and provided them with a list of players he allegedly provided impermissible benefits to; the list of players contained “well over a dozen but less than 100″ names. Additionally, Perez provided the NCAA with documentation — which may include “photos, phone records, credit card statements and bills” — to verify her client’s claims.

“Nevin agreed to cooperate with the federal government [before and after sentencing],” Perez said. “He had to cooperate with the bankruptcy trustee, and they investigated where the investor money went. A lot of the misconduct involved UM. He’s trying to make his victims whole and he has to explain where the money went.”

Shapiro was convicted of running a $930 million Ponzi scheme that left upwards of 60 victims with losses totaling over $80 million. He was sentenced in June to 20 years in federal prison, and has been ordered to repay $82.7 million, which is partly the reason why he’s writing a book concerning the allegations he’s made against The U football program.

After Shapiro donated nearly $150,000 to the university, an athletics lounge was named in his honor at the school. Upon his arrest in April of 2010, however, Shapiro’s name was stripped from the lounge and the university returned just over $130,000 of his donation.

Last edited by JoeJoeBrown : 08-15-2011 at 01:24 PM.
JoeJoeBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 03:29 PM    (permalink
Rabscuttle
Veteran

Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If know that if I'm the AD/coach of the school Seantrell Henderson transfers to next, I would be considering suicide.
Rabscuttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 11:32 AM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
Pro Bowler

JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://twitter.com/#!/CharlesRobinso...99321923747843

Quote:
@CharlesRobinson
Charles Robinson
Coming up for air soon. Sit tight.
Interesting. Is it Miami? Or is it something else entirely? This is likely his "10 out of 10" story.
Old 08-16-2011, 12:04 PM    (permalink
draftguru151
:/
Legend

draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If Shapiro is the 10 out of 10 story I'm gonna be very disappointed. Thought it might actually do something for college football.

<Gaius_Baltar> That is correct comahan
<vidae> I ******* LOVE YOU DG
<njx9> <3 dg
draftguru151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 12:38 PM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
Pro Bowler

Quote:
If Shapiro is the 10 out of 10 story I'm gonna be very disappointed. Thought it might actually do something for college football.
Twitterverse is telling me that he gave gifts to players in the $10k range.
Old 08-16-2011, 01:00 PM    (permalink
draftguru151
Legend

draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If he was giving players 10k of stolen money, I think someone more important than the NCAA would be talking to UM players, probably sometime a year ago when he first started this trash to get money for his book.

If Shapiro was providing benefits (which he probably did), it was in the beginning of the decade, when Butch Davis and Paul Dee were running the show. Larry Coker wouldn't know the guy if he was staring him in the face, Randy hated the dude and made sure Shapiro and everyone else knew it. Shapiro is just a little punk who is trying to get back at the cool kids who wouldn't be friend with him. Ugh this whole situation irks me so much because of how much people are taking this dirtbag seriously. Freaking three weeks from the season and I have to read this trash when I should be obsessing over interceptions in practice.

<njx9> <3 dg
Old 08-16-2011, 01:40 PM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
Pro Bowler

Quote:
If he was giving players 10k of stolen money, I think someone more important than the NCAA would be talking to UM players, probably sometime a year ago when he first started this trash to get money for his book.

If Shapiro was providing benefits (which he probably did), it was in the beginning of the decade, when Butch Davis and Paul Dee were running the show. Larry Coker wouldn't know the guy if he was staring him in the face, Randy hated the dude and made sure Shapiro and everyone else knew it. Shapiro is just a little punk who is trying to get back at the cool kids who wouldn't be friend with him. Ugh this whole situation irks me so much because of how much people are taking this dirtbag seriously. Freaking three weeks from the season and I have to read this trash when I should be obsessing over interceptions in practice.
Welcome to an OSU fan's world.

I'm with you, though, I was hoping the Robinson story was about some other program and something a lot more organized (i.e. pay for play system). It still might be for all that we know.
Old 08-16-2011, 04:25 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Even if it happened 10 years ago, Miami benefited by using illegal (both by NCAA and legal standards) practices. I agree that it sucks for the fans of the Hurricanes, and it will likely suck for Al Golden, who had nothing to do with it, but Miami the football program is going to face serious sanctions if these charges are found to be true.

On a related note, I think this may put the final nail in the college coaching career of Butch Davis, if it wasn't dead already.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 04:34 PM    (permalink
draftguru151
Legend

If it happened more than 4 years ago there is nothing the NCAA can do, and the time frame of the stuff being said is 3-6. I think Randy Phillips was the only name I've read that was even on the team in the past 4 years. Hester, Beason, Kyle Wright were a few of the other names. And that's even if anything this guy is saying isn't complete ********.

This stuff started last August. Miami asked for any proof, Shapiro had none. Miami has been investigating it for a full year, has found nothing.

<njx9> <3 dg

Last edited by draftguru151 : 08-16-2011 at 04:39 PM.
Old 08-16-2011, 05:08 PM    (permalink
draftguru151
Legend

Story from Yahoo.

<njx9> <3 dg
Old 08-16-2011, 05:25 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Wasn't Miami already under suspension of some sorts during this time? I know they were being investigated.

The NCAA is such a toothless organization.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 05:42 PM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
Pro Bowler

Yeah, Miami is screwed. I guess it's a 10 from the perspective of evidence and scale, of which there is copious amounts, including stuff within the past 4 years.

It's not a 10 because everyone knows that the U was always a hot bed of dirt.

BTW, this Robinson guy is a real journalist. Impressive work this year, with complete, high quality reports highlighting scandals at OSU and UM.
Old 08-16-2011, 05:52 PM    (permalink
draftguru151
Legend

Well, ****.

<njx9> <3 dg
Old 08-16-2011, 06:00 PM    (permalink
Rabscuttle
Veteran

Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rabscuttle is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Move over SMU, you've been one-upped.

Lack of institutional control doesn't begin to describe what is contained in that article.
Rabscuttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 06:09 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I really feel bad for Al Golden. He got himself into a BAD situation.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Hurricanes25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 06:17 PM    (permalink
TACKLE
All-NFLDC

TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Well, ****.
Old 08-16-2011, 06:38 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJoeBrown View Post
Yeah, Miami is screwed. I guess it's a 10 from the perspective of evidence and scale, of which there is copious amounts, including stuff within the past 4 years.

It's not a 10 because everyone knows that the U was always a hot bed of dirt.

BTW, this Robinson guy is a real journalist. Impressive work this year, with complete, high quality reports highlighting scandals at OSU and UM.
Charles Robinson and Dan Wetzel are two of the best.

If 50% of this is true about Miami then they are about to be the first team since SMU to get the death penalty.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:
www.saturdaynightslant.com

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/LaSportsDude
diabsoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 07:16 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

...that's pretty rough stuff right there. Feel really bad for Miami fans and Al Golden, as already mentioned. Something serious is going to have to come out of that.

R.I.P. Junior Seau
ElectricEye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 07:36 PM    (permalink
SchizophrenicBatman
Pro Bowler

SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SchizophrenicBatman is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

RIP Miami

When they launch an entire new web section for you, it's over. Charles Robinson just released his masterpiece

http://sports.yahoo.com/investigations
Old 08-16-2011, 07:54 PM    (permalink
J52
Rookie

J52 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.J52 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.J52 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.J52 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.J52 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.J52 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.J52 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.J52 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.J52 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.J52 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.J52 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

To be as bad as Miami was during this duration and do as poorly as they did in recruiting... does anybody believe that any team in the top 25 is legit anymore?

College free agency probably pays more then NFL free agency.
J52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 08:07 PM    (permalink
ryno626
Rookie

ryno626 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ryno626 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ryno626 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ryno626 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ryno626 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ryno626 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ryno626 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ryno626 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ryno626 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ryno626 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ryno626 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He wanted to fight the associate director of compliance! That is awesome
ryno626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 08:10 PM    (permalink
niel89
SuperBowl Prop Bet Winner
All-Pro

niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J52 View Post
To be as bad as Miami was during this duration and do as poorly as they did in recruiting... does anybody believe that any team in the top 25 is legit anymore?

College free agency probably pays more then NFL free agency.
Honestly I believe its less that 7 teams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Don't be a stranger. Jordyzzzz would want you to stick around. ;o)

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy
niel89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 08:32 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If all of these accusations prove true for Miami, or even half of them are true, and they are handed the death penalty (which would seem assured given the depth of the charges) does the ACC kick them out of the conference?

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter
Old 08-16-2011, 08:42 PM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabsoule View Post
If all of these accusations prove true for Miami, or even half of them are true, and they are handed the death penalty (which would seem assured given the depth of the charges) does the ACC kick them out of the conference?
Are they on probation already? If they are then the death penalty could come into play.
Old 08-16-2011, 08:42 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJoeBrown View Post
Are they on probation already? If they are then the death penalty could come into play.
Yeah, they are stemming from something that happened in 2008, iirc.

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter

Last edited by diabsoule : 08-16-2011 at 08:49 PM.