Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 01-02-2014, 12:21 PM    (permalink
Cigaro
All-NFLDC

Location: Two-thirds of the Earth is covered by water, the other one-third is covered by Luke Kuechly
Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's looking increasingly likely that we'll franchise Hardy and then go from there. We'll need Gettleman to continue his cap magic to keep him long term, however, and even that's a stretch, with Newton's extension and some of Hurney's mega-contracts reaching their peaks in the next few years.

Sig by Matthew Jones
Cigaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 12:21 PM    (permalink
PoopSandwich
All-Pro

PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
So where does Michael Vick end up? He's the only one even remotely in the starting QB conversation assuming McCown either returns to the Bears or retires.
Put him in Arizona and let him get killed behind that o-line!

I would like to see him in Minn... I think they would make a huge jump especially if they drafted a qb in the first to sit this year.

"If something happens, and it's the Cleveland Browns, I'm going to pour my heart out for the Dawg Pound and try to win a Super Bowl for Cleveland," he said. "I don't care if they've had 20 starting quarterbacks since 1999. I'm going to be the 21st and the guy that brought them the Super Bowl." - JFF
PoopSandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 12:22 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I say the team with the worst veteran starting QB signs him...do the Giants have cap room?

RIP TheManInBlack
Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 12:23 PM    (permalink
BloodBrother
All-Pro

BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://deadspin.com/i-was-an-nfl-pla...-an-1493208214

Chris Kluwe with some not so good stuff to say about Frazier, Spielman...and especially his ST coach, Priefer. Priefer comes out looking really bad in this story
Old 01-02-2014, 12:24 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
I say the team with the worst veteran starting QB signs him...do the Giants have cap room?
Hey now watch yourself! Eli will probably be getting an extension soon anyway. As of right now we have the least amount of cap room in the NFL but we have 25 impending FA's and some cuts that will free up a lot of room.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 12:28 PM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

At this point, I think you could say that, listed alphabetically, Tom Brady, Drew Brees, Andrew Luck, Peyton Manning, Cam Newton, Philip Rivers, Aaron Rodgers, Ben Roethlisberger, Tony Romo, Matt Ryan, Matthew Stafford, and Russell Wilson are all better quarterbacks than Cutler, while I think there are a fair amount of people who would rather have some guys like Joe Flacco, Nick Foles, Robert Griffin, Colin Kaepernick, Eli Manning, Alex Smith, or Ryan Tannehill moving forward.

I just don't understand the logic of committing a substantial portion of your salary cap to someone who's basically established himself as a talented but a middling quarterback and who's made only one playoff appearance over an eight-year career, especially when a thirty-four-year-old career backup who has spent time in the UFL was able to step in and perform better than him.

Quarterback contracts are crazy, and letting Cutler leave would hurt in the short-term, but this signing seems to lock in the Bears as, at best, a pseudo-contender for the foreseeable future, indicating that they're comfortable with eight or nine wins a season and a chance at ending up as one of the NFC's wild-card teams. This is an unfortunate situation for Chicago because he's just good enough to prevent them from looking for an improvement, while not the type of franchise quarterback who makes their team an annual contender.
Old 01-02-2014, 12:32 PM    (permalink
fenikz
Pillow Hat Pal
Legend

fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I personally would be thrilled if Cutler had signed that contract with AZ

fenikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 12:32 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodBrother View Post

Chris Kluwe with some not so good stuff to say about Frazier, Spielman...and especially his ST coach, Priefer. Priefer comes out looking really bad in this story
Based Zygi Wilf. Also, I will always love Chris Kluwe and Mike Priefer is a douchenozzle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
Hey now watch yourself! Eli will probably be getting an extension soon anyway. As of right now we have the least amount of cap room in the NFL but we have 25 impending FA's and some cuts that will free up a lot of room.
Sorry, meant to post a picture soon mocking the extension talk, but work is failing me.

RIP TheManInBlack

Last edited by Brodeur : 01-02-2014 at 12:35 PM.
Old 01-02-2014, 12:35 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Jones View Post
but this signing seems to lock in the Bears as, at best, a pseudo-contender for the foreseeable future, indicating that they're comfortable with eight or nine wins a season and a chance at ending up as one of the NFC's wild-card teams. This is an unfortunate situation for Chicago because he's just good enough to prevent them from looking for an improvement, while not the type of franchise quarterback who makes their team an annual contender.
Cutler doesn't make the Bears an annual contender by himself, but it's ludicrous to suggest they'll never be anything more than a wildcard team with him at the helm. Particularly because they've already won the division with Cutler, and they made a Superbowl with Rex Grossman.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 12:37 PM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Based Zygi Wilf. Also, I will always love Chris Kluwe and Mike Priefer is a douchenozzle.

Sorry, meant to post a picture soon mocking the extension talk, but work is failing me.
Very very interesting read. It's tough to take it without a grain of salt since Kluwe is a slight drama queen, but it's all perfectly sensible and entirely Minnesotesque.
CC.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 12:39 PM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I for one am thrilled the Bears reached an agreement with Cutler.
Old 01-02-2014, 12:40 PM    (permalink
Job Reborn
Veteran

Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job Reborn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenikz View Post
Why is that? Palmer and Cutler are basically the same thing.
Job Reborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 12:44 PM    (permalink
PoopSandwich
All-Pro

PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodBrother View Post

Kluwe cracks me up, great read.

"If something happens, and it's the Cleveland Browns, I'm going to pour my heart out for the Dawg Pound and try to win a Super Bowl for Cleveland," he said. "I don't care if they've had 20 starting quarterbacks since 1999. I'm going to be the 21st and the guy that brought them the Super Bowl." - JFF
Old 01-02-2014, 12:45 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC.SD View Post
Very very interesting read. It's tough to take it without a grain of salt since Kluwe is a slight drama queen, but it's all perfectly sensible and entirely Minnesotesque.
I don't see any reason to believe Kluwe is lying.

RIP TheManInBlack
Old 01-02-2014, 12:46 PM    (permalink
mightytitan9
Pro Bowler

mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mightytitan9 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
So where does Michael Vick end up? He's the only one even remotely in the starting QB conversation assuming McCown either returns to the Bears or retires.

Edit: I guess you could consider Matt Schaub a redemption project too.
If he's ok competing, which he said he's ok returning to Philly as a backup, so I'm guessing he is. I could see him going several places where the right coach goes.

Vick needs a very very good O-Line, or else you risk losing him for 2+ games a season. Even the O-Line isn't a guarantee he will make it a whole season though.

IMO Vick really needs to be on a run first offense. I like him in the west coast offense and maybe a coach like Kyle Shanahan, Mike Shanahan, Darrell Bevell, Gary Kubiak could interest him if they need a stop-gap QB to compete with a young gun.
Old 01-02-2014, 12:46 PM    (permalink
njx9
Suck it Rob
All-NFLDC

njx9 has disabled reputation

meh. the bears won't win a super bowl with cutler. nor will anyone else. no idea why everyone suddenly thinks it's a good plan to piss away that much guaranteed money and cap space on a guy who won't take you anywhere.
Old 01-02-2014, 12:47 PM    (permalink
Cigaro
All-NFLDC

Location: Two-thirds of the Earth is covered by water, the other one-third is covered by Luke Kuechly
Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm going to also disagree with the idea that Cutler is only good for eight or nine wins a season. I think Cutler can certainly lead them to a better record than that, and that he can definitely get them into the playoffs. My complaint with Cutler is that I don't think he is a quarterback who can realistically win the Super Bowl. The playoffs require smart, clutch play, and I don't think Cutler can deliver three or four straight games of that.

That being said, I don't necessarily dislike the deal. That team is far from a Super Bowl contender regardless of how Cutler plays. The defense needs a lot of work done to it to reach that level. Signing Cutler gives them a quarterback who can keep them relevant while allowing them to build a team around them. Should Cutler prove unable to win consistently in the playoffs as I suspect will be the case, you can then draft a quarterback and won't be forced to throw him into the fire. I don't agree with a seven year deal, but if I were a Bears fan, I wouldn't have any problems with keeping Cutler for a few more years.

Sig by Matthew Jones
Cigaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Location: I'm a simple man. I like pretty, dark haired women and breakfast food
Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenikz View Post
They just don't feel our pain.
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I don't see any reason to believe Kluwe is lying.
No of course not, impossible not to agree with him/his actions, but it is all entirely from his POV and perspective, which is not the best way to guarantee accuracy. Punters are shockingly replaceable in the NFL after all, it was a miracle he lasted 8 years up there.
CC.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 12:48 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Joe Flacco just won an Owl with the Ravens, and Joe Flacco is not better than Jay Cutler.

RIP TheManInBlack
Old 01-02-2014, 12:49 PM    (permalink
PoopSandwich
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob S View Post
Browns and Bills have had it the worst as far as QBs are concerned for the longest time.

Our flash in the pan qbs have been Trent Edwards and Derek Anderson...

At least Oakland has had Gannon for the SB run and Arizona had Kurt Warner.

UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Old 01-02-2014, 12:50 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Quote:
1 playoff win in 54 years.

RIP TheManInBlack
Old 01-02-2014, 12:51 PM    (permalink
njx9
Suck it Rob
All-NFLDC

njx9 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Joe Flacco just won an Owl with the Ravens, and Joe Flacco is not better than Jay Cutler.
yes, he is.

Quote:
pfft, i've had a decade of brian griese, jake plummer and tim tebow. i know exactly what having garbage at qb feels like.

at least you're trying to address the position in the future. i have no idea why you'd go backwards to cutler so willingly.
Old 01-02-2014, 12:53 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
yes, he is.

pfft, i've had a decade of brian griese, jake plummer and tim tebow. i know exactly what having garbage at qb feels like.

at least you're trying to address the position in the future. i have no idea why you'd go backwards to cutler so willingly.
How is Flacco better than Cutler? He had his first tough season in regards to line play/running backs this year, and he was awful.

And psh, Griese/Plummer are elite compared to Mike McMahon, Joey Harrington, Dan Orlovsky, old Daunte Culpepper, Stoney Case, Drew Stanton, etc.

RIP TheManInBlack
Old 01-02-2014, 12:53 PM    (permalink
brat316
bhaarat316
All-NFLDC

brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.brat316 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't understand why Kluwe didn't get a job afterwards and who the hell drafts a punter in the 5th, when your teams is much worse in other areas?

Locke was about the same as Kluwe, he wasn't heads and shoulders better.