Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 02-22-2014, 01:09 AM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Considering it took the Browns so long to hire a head coach, I think that its more than likely to be true.

Bottom line is that Harbaugh wants more money, power and control. York isnt giving it to him, nor should he. If Harbaugh doesnt get his extension this off-season, I wouldnt be surprised to see him gone in a year from now.

Harbaugh isnt worth what he wants nor is he worth all this drama and bullcrap. Of course, only they know the truth 100% but if I was a betting man, I would bet that this report/rumor/whatever the hell you want to call it is true.
dan77733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 01:51 AM    (permalink
Nastradamus
Veteran

Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
If they do indeed lose Bennett, they'll have money to sign Arthur Jones and more. That's the math he laid out.

He has Bennett coming back on a smaller deal than his rep suggests. But Bennett isn't a full-time player, which affects his value.

Revis' deal is very unique because he got no guaranteed money. That's why he's making so much. He can be cut any time.

And the majority of deals are backloaded these days. That's just the business.

I don't really get your point. If they lose Bennett, according to Hsu's projection, they'll have an extra 5ish Mil to work with on top of what they would have with Bennett (which is enough to sign Jones). That won't get Arthur Jones? You think Sherman's cap number is going to be 10mil? Not in year 1 it won't. And that's if they extend him this year.

The guy knows the cap. I questioned him about Bennett and he seems to think his market won't be as hot because he's not an every-down player. Even if they do everything there minus signing Art Jones, then they could absolutely afford Bennett at whatever price he wants. And all of this included extending ETIII, but that he'll have the same cap number or slightly higher. The dude is a cap expert so I didn't question that idea.
I think 16 mil was market value for Revis in terms of AAV, but he got no guarantees due to his injury.

The Hawks have drafted so well that they are in good cap shape. There's a solid chance they figure out a way to sign Bennett or Jones. I don't think its a guarantee though and I don't think they'd sign both. You only want to have so many big money, long term deals on your books and they are already giving out quite a few of them. I think the Seahawks have a vision for how they want to build their team. OTOH, Paul Allen might just ball out and pay everyone.
Nastradamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 08:35 AM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Paul Allen will always ball out. Especially when they're good. There's no reason to hold back. They SHOULD be right up against the cap every year while the team's good. No point in keeping money in his pocket.

The whole point of my post was to show that the math, with the new, higher, cap number, calls for way more room than the post-SB narratives and uninformed fans thought there would be. For 2014. I think 2015 could be a shitshow.

But for 2014, they're in damn good shape. I would have never guessed they'd be able to extend both ETIII and Sherman, sign Bennett, sign Tate, and add a decent outside FA. At first glance I understand your skepticism, but the math is right there. And it comes down to paying your star QB less than a million bucks.

And if they DON'T do one of those moves, they'll have even more room to maybe retain Red Bryant or re-sign Giacomini and Thurmond.

EVERYTHING would have to break in their favor to extend the two stars, sign Tate and Bennett, and add a guy like Arthur Jones. But what Hsu's math shows us is that it is possible.

And I'm not even sure if signing Tate long-term is the best move. I'm just saying they're saving A LOT of money by releasing Rice, Clemons, Bryant, and Miller. Plus their draft class is a couple million cheaper than teams picking higher. And of course the news that sparked sharing that article was that the cap's up to 130.
gpngc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 09:03 AM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.gpngc is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I just looked at the Niners cap situation to compare.

As far as I can tell, assuming they extend Kaep, they will have to choose two guys between these three players: Whitner, Boldin, and Gore.

For sentimental reasons, they probably won't cut Gore. But I think that's their best play. Cutting him saves more than 6 mil with NO dead money. They can address RB in the draft with one of many picks and give Hunter and Lattimore a shot at it too.

Other than that, it's really not too confusing. I have them keeping Phil Dawson and Jonathan Goodwin. If they let one or both go, they'd be able to sign a lower-tier FA or two.

If they cut gore and let Whitner walk, they'll have plenty to play with and could make an impact signing (I've been thinking Michael Bennett...)

Even if they keep Gore and let Whitner walk, they could let Goodwin walk, and probably get creative enough with Kaep's contract to sign a good FA.

Point is, once Rogers is cut, they'll be in fine shape.
Old 02-22-2014, 02:34 PM    (permalink
49ersfan_87
Pro Bowler

49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

As far as I can tell, assuming they extend Kaep, they will have to choose two guys between these three players: Whitner, Boldin, and Gore.

For sentimental reasons, they probably won't cut Gore. But I think that's their best play. Cutting him saves more than 6 mil with NO dead money. They can address RB in the draft with one of many picks and give Hunter and Lattimore a shot at it too.

Other than that, it's really not too confusing. I have them keeping Phil Dawson and Jonathan Goodwin. If they let one or both go, they'd be able to sign a lower-tier FA or two.

If they cut gore and let Whitner walk, they'll have plenty to play with and could make an impact signing (I've been thinking Michael Bennett...)

Even if they keep Gore and let Whitner walk, they could let Goodwin walk, and probably get creative enough with Kaep's contract to sign a good FA.

Rogers and Gore should either be cut or take a paycut. Boldin is priority #1. I expect all our other FA's to walk except for maybe Dawson. We should be replacing Whitner, Goodwin, etc in the draft. Although i love Whitner, i just think he'll be too expensive.

As for Michael Bennett.. I just think another team will sign Bennett. Stud pass rusher coming off a SB win....he's going to be the #1 FA on the market. Our DL is in pretty good shape too. The hope is for Tank Carradine to take off in year 2, now that he's healthy (he just had another surgery and supposedly looks better now).
49ersfan_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 02:46 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan_87 View Post
Rogers and Gore should either be cut or take a paycut. Boldin is priority #1. I expect all our other FA's to walk except for maybe Dawson. We should be replacing Whitner, Goodwin, etc in the draft. Although i love Whitner, i just think he'll be too expensive.

As for Michael Bennett.. I just think another team will sign Bennett. Stud pass rusher coming off a SB win....he's going to be the #1 FA on the market. Our DL is in pretty good shape too. The hope is for Tank Carradine to take off in year 2, now that he's healthy (he just had another surgery and supposedly looks better now).
He's definitely not the No. 1 FA on the market. He played terrific last year but played less than 60% of snaps and has no real position that any team would feel great about putting him in as a starter. He's the guy you move around, bring in fresh, and messes up both guards and tackles with his versatility. He's also going to be 29 next season.

TJ Ward and Jairus Byrd, plus Decker, the corners, Orakpo, Michael Johson, Hardy - they'll all get more than Bennett.

And if they really let go of Gore, Whitner, and Goodwin, they're going to have room to make a big singing.
Old 02-22-2014, 03:38 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dan77733 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

49ers will have $11.733m in cap room which includes the recent pay cut accepted by Baldwin and the $2m+ carryover.

After the 49ers (hopefully) release Rogers, the team will add $5.105m in cap room. More if they release him as a June 1st cut which I wouldnt do.

Total would be $16.838m in cap room.

49ers arent going to make a "big" signing nor should they.

With that cap room, all im hoping for is for the team to re-sign Boldin. Would also like to see them re-sign Dixon and sign Cox to a multi year extension since they're not going to tender him but those two are doubtful.

In no way, shape or form should the 49ers release Gore. Hell no. Extension to lower his cap number, yes but he's the offense. He rushed us to a 6-2 record after starting 1-2. As for Lattimore, Hunter and James, well, James is expected to be traded at some point as he doesnt fit the offense and is barely used. Hunter is going into the final season of his rookie contract and Lattimore wont have played in a meaningful game in almost two years by the time the season gets here.

Team can easily keep Gore at his salary. I would let Brown, Whitner, Dawson, Goodwin and others leave before letting Gore go.
Old 02-22-2014, 03:47 PM    (permalink
49ersfan_87
Pro Bowler

49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

https://twitter.com/BWilliamsonESPN/...88717560999936

Quote:
With salary cap projection rise, #49ers now projected to have around $13 million in space.
And if Gore or Rogers gets cut or a paycut, we could have an extra $10 million in space.

Its not Baalke's method to sign FA's to big deals (i think the last big FA signing we made was Justin Smith in 2008)....but if we had $23 million in cap space. Well, priorities are Kaep, Aldon, Crabs, Iupati, and immediately, Boldin.

But i wouldn't mind signing Verner, Thurmond, or even Bennett if we had a little extra cash to make 1 big move...
49ersfan_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 04:12 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

The thing about Aldon is that he has way less leverage because of his off-field stuff. I'm not sure if they'll have to extend him this year. It would be ridiculous for him to hold out after what happened last year.
Old 02-22-2014, 04:43 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ersfan_87 View Post
https://twitter.com/BWilliamsonESPN/...88717560999936

And if Gore or Rogers gets cut or a paycut, we could have an extra $10 million in space.

Its not Baalke's method to sign FA's to big deals (i think the last big FA signing we made was Justin Smith in 2008)....but if we had $23 million in cap space. Well, priorities are Kaep, Aldon, Crabs, Iupati, and immediately, Boldin.

But i wouldn't mind signing Verner, Thurmond, or even Bennett if we had a little extra cash to make 1 big move...
Baalke would never throw the kind of cash around needed to sign Verner. Bennett isn't a 5-Tech and plays a postion that's arguably the deepest, talent wise, on the team. And I don't see Thurmond as anybody they would target. I think the days of higher profiled FAs are over for Baalke. His main focus seems to be replenishing through the draft and retaining his own talent and supplementing our depth with low-key FAs signings like Dorsey and Skuta. Regardlesss of our cap space, I don't see that trend changing UNLESS its a player so skilled, he dramatically changes they way a offense or defense plays us. And neither of those players fit that description.

And they're going to defintely excercise that 5th year option on Aldon. He has to prove he can stay trouble free for a entire off-season before they even think about extending him.
VAfy-ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 04:59 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VAfy-ya is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Gore will restructure. No way they pay him the 6.5 he's due and Gore has always been a team first guy so I cant see him balking at a pay cut.

Whitner is gone. Ward is defintely getting franchised. That leaves him and Byrd as the only viable safties on the market. Plenty of teams will happily pay him around 7-8 mil a year to solidify their back-end. That's too steep a price for us however.

Boldin is a priority and I'm sure a deal will get done. Boldin and his family supposedly loved it in Cali and he's said he defintely wants the Niners to be the last team he plays for.

Rogers might be back. His value isn't very high and he might be willing to take a pay cut to stay on a contending team where he still has a viable role. But playoffs wins over the Pack and Panthers w/o him proves his value to the secondary isnt what it once was and they can use that as leverage to get him to accept a pay cut. He'll probably be back at a much reduced rate.
Old 02-22-2014, 05:14 PM    (permalink
fenikz
Pillow Hat Pal
Legend

fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

if they extend kaepernick they will have to cut a hell of alot more than one of those 3

9 mil in cap space minus 5 or 6 mil for the draft and 15 or so mil for Kaepernick

fenikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 05:21 PM    (permalink
niel89
SuperBowl Prop Bet Winner
All-Pro

niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Baalke just said Gore won't be asked to take a pay cut. Gore also might be hesitant because he has to realize he only has so many years left. Physical RBs over 30 don't get paid.

The cap apparently is going to be 2 million higher than expected so it should about 132 million. Even still I think you guys are being optimistic about your cap possibilities. No way the Seahawks resign all those guys and go after significant FAs . Tough decisions will be made and guys will be let go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Don't be a stranger. Jordyzzzz would want you to stick around. ;o)

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy
niel89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 05:30 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAfy-ya View Post
Gore will restructure. No way they pay him the 6.5 he's due and Gore has always been a team first guy so I cant see him balking at a pay cut.

Whitner is gone. Ward is defintely getting franchised. That leaves him and Byrd as the only viable safties on the market. Plenty of teams will happily pay him around 7-8 mil a year to solidify their back-end. That's too steep a price for us however.

Boldin is a priority and I'm sure a deal will get done. Boldin and his family supposedly loved it in Cali and he's said he defintely wants the Niners to be the last team he plays for.

Rogers might be back. His value isn't very high and he might be willing to take a pay cut to stay on a contending team where he still has a viable role. But playoffs wins over the Pack and Panthers w/o him proves his value to the secondary isnt what it once was and they can use that as leverage to get him to accept a pay cut. He'll probably be back at a much reduced rate.
First, I think Thurmond fits SF perfectly. He might actually be the best CB on the roster if he signs there. Plus, they'd take him away from a rival. He can cover Harvin and Austin also.

Second, I could see the Niners making a run at Byrd or Ward. In fact, Rapapport was saying today that the Bills might actually franchise and trade Byrd. With so many picks this year, that's not an awful idea.

Third, I don't think it's really possible for Gore to restructure. He's only a one year deal. And as someone just pointed out, they already ruled that out. Didn't he hold out or threaten to at one point anyway? His professional life is coming to an end in the next three years. He's going to take every dollar he can get.

And again, I think the smartest move would be to part ways. That might be cold-blooded, but there's no reason to pay him 6mil when cutting him costs nothing. He's a replaceable talent at this point in his career. In fact, I think in some ways he holds the offense back a little bit. He's just not that explosive anymore. Solid as a rock still, but he's not the finisher he once was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenikz View Post
if they extend kaepernick they will have to cut a hell of alot more than one of those 3

9 mil in cap space minus 5 or 6 mil for the draft and 15 or so mil for Kaepernick
Kaep's cap number will be no where near 15 for year one. It's never that high for year one. Especially for a team trying to win it all right now. Check Flacco's contract.

I'm also not sure you accounted for Rogers being cut or the new cap in your rough math. I gave Kaep a 7mil cap number and they were still sitting pretty good.
Old 02-22-2014, 05:44 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by niel89 View Post
Baalke just said Gore won't be asked to take a pay cut. Gore also might be hesitant because he has to realize he only has so many years left. Physical RBs over 30 don't get paid.

The cap apparently is going to be 2 million higher than expected so it should about 132 million. Even still I think you guys are being optimistic about your cap possibilities. No way the Seahawks resign all those guys and go after significant FAs . Tough decisions will be made and guys will be let go.
http://www.fieldgulls.com/seahawks-a...ft-free-agency

I'm not just making things up. This guy's the capologist. And the 132 helps both teams even more. The Niners are in good shape too.

Tough decisions will be made. The Seahawks are going to lose Rice, Bryant, Clemons, Miller, and probably Giacomini. But if they lose Tate OR Bennett, they're in the market again and can absolutely sign a quality FA or two.

Now in 2015 the REALLY tough decisions will be made and it won't be easy. This year, as the article points out, isn't really that bad. They can afford to extend both secondary studs, re-sign Tate, re-sign Bennett, and sign a decent FA. There's the math laid out for you since you don't believe it.
Old 02-22-2014, 11:07 PM    (permalink
VAfy-ya
Pro Bowler

Quote:
First, I think Thurmond fits SF perfectly. He might actually be the best CB on the roster if he signs there. Plus, they'd take him away from a rival. He can cover Harvin and Austin also.

Second, I could see the Niners making a run at Byrd or Ward. In fact, Rapapport was saying today that the Bills might actually franchise and trade Byrd. With so many picks this year, that's not an awful idea.

Third, I don't think it's really possible for Gore to restructure. He's only a one year deal. And as someone just pointed out, they already ruled that out. Didn't he hold out or threaten to at one point anyway? His professional life is coming to an end in the next three years. He's going to take every dollar he can get.

And again, I think the smartest move would be to part ways. That might be cold-blooded, but there's no reason to pay him 6mil when cutting him costs nothing. He's a replaceable talent at this point in his career. In fact, I think in some ways he holds the offense back a little bit. He's just not that explosive anymore. Solid as a rock still, but he's not the finisher he once was.

Kaep's cap number will be no where near 15 for year one. It's never that high for year one. Especially for a team trying to win it all right now. Check Flacco's contract.

I'm also not sure you accounted for Rogers being cut or the new cap in your rough math. I gave Kaep a 7mil cap number and they were still sitting pretty good.
Not a surprise you think so highly of Thurmond. I don't however. He's a decent #2 in the right scheme but he's no upgrade over Cully nor Brock. Some team will throw money at him but I doubt it would be us. As far as Byrd, again that is not how Baalke operates. Just like everyone thought we would jump on Revis and I said no way would Baalke pay one player that kind of money who isn't a QB. He wouldnt pay Goldson. He won't pay Whitner. Why would he pay Bryd, who will command more than both of those guys?

Baalke has a history of letting very good starters get away in free agency. He won't overspend in free agency. Not when he believes he can find cheaper solutions. He finds bargains. Whitner, Rogers, Dorsey, Manningham, Moss....all those deals were bargains. He believes in his eye for talent and his drafting ability. He's almost arrogant with it, see his interview after the AJ Jenkins pick. He's not going throw money at free agents just because they happen to be really good. It has to make sense scheme-wise and cap wise. He has a budget and he sticks to it. People are always saying were going after this guy and that guy in free agency and it never comes to fruition. People should just accept it already.

And they won't cut Gore. It will never happen as long as Baalke and JH are there. I actually agree with you, they should cut him but they won't. They think the world of Gore and his presence to the team. They'll ask him to restructure or re-work the numbers with a small extension. And he if doesn't, they'll just eat it at his current rate.

Last edited by VAfy-ya : 02-22-2014 at 11:10 PM.
Old 02-23-2014, 01:06 AM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

Why would anyone think that we should release Gore??? Lattimore hasnt even played a snap yet and could turn out to be non-existent. Best solution would be to extend Gore to a team friendly deal so he can end his career as a 49er like he should.

With $13.733m in cap room before releasing Rogers, we're already in excellent shape.

We're not signing Verner or a safety to replace Whitner. And hell no to trading for Byrd and paying him. UGH. Even if we were to overpay a player, I would only overpay C Alex Mack. And even him, I would have a set limit.

Aldon is going to have that 5th year exercised so we dont have to worry about extending him until next year.

Rogers should have been released already. He sucks and needs to go. If they keep him after a restructure or pay cut, I'll be so pissed off.

No thanks to Bennett or Thurmond. You can keep them in SEA.

Speaking of Seattle, I looked over their roster and cap after they won the Super Bowl. If they release Rice (which I think they did already), Clemons, Bryant and Miller, they will clear $25.30m in cap room for 2014 alone and thats after cap penalties. Rice, Bryant and Miller will account for another $19.0m in cap room for 2015 and Bryant will add $7.00m in 2016.

So, those four players alone combined will free up $51.30m in cap room over three years. Seahawks are in better position than us 49ers are and its not even close as long as they dont hold on to those guys.

They can easily re-sign Bennett, Tate and tender Baldwin without breaking a sweat if they choose to do so. Seahawks are going to be a pain in the ass for at least next five years unless they screw up something real bad.

Back to the 49ers, with that extra cap room, here's a veteran player who I would love to sign - ILB Karlos Dansby. With Bowman out until at least mid-season and Dansby being a stud his entire career, that would be one hell of a signing in my opinion.
Old 02-23-2014, 12:23 PM    (permalink
SolidGold
Pro Bowler

SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Jets interested in McCown - makes sense to me
SolidGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 12:27 PM    (permalink
Crickett
All-Pro

Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crickett is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidGold View Post
Jets interested in McCown - makes sense to me

Allegedly as a backup. We'll see how long that stands if the Jets sign him.
Crickett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 02:14 PM    (permalink
Nastradamus
Veteran

Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Nastradamus is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Taking Geno and Mccown to camp makes a lot of sense to me. You don't fully take away Geno's chance to play/compete, but you also protect yourself with a capable starter. Make sure you add 2 weapons minimal in the offseason.
Old 02-23-2014, 02:14 PM    (permalink
Nastradamus
Veteran

I can't imagine Gore has much left in him based on history.
Old 02-23-2014, 03:32 PM    (permalink
BuckeyeDan17
Pro Bowler

BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Read a tweet Browns want to Brown and bring in Shaub.

Sigh...

Have it your way, with BK (BoneKrusher)
BuckeyeDan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 04:01 PM    (permalink
gpngc
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAfy-ya View Post
Not a surprise you think so highly of Thurmond. I don't however. He's a decent #2 in the right scheme but he's no upgrade over Cully nor Brock. Some team will throw money at him but I doubt it would be us. As far as Byrd, again that is not how Baalke operates. Just like everyone thought we would jump on Revis and I said no way would Baalke pay one player that kind of money who isn't a QB. He wouldnt pay Goldson. He won't pay Whitner. Why would he pay Bryd, who will command more than both of those guys?

Baalke has a history of letting very good starters get away in free agency. He won't overspend in free agency. Not when he believes he can find cheaper solutions. He finds bargains. Whitner, Rogers, Dorsey, Manningham, Moss....all those deals were bargains. He believes in his eye for talent and his drafting ability. He's almost arrogant with it, see his interview after the AJ Jenkins pick. He's not going throw money at free agents just because they happen to be really good. It has to make sense scheme-wise and cap wise. He has a budget and he sticks to it. People are always saying were going after this guy and that guy in free agency and it never comes to fruition. People should just accept it already.

And they won't cut Gore. It will never happen as long as Baalke and JH are there. I actually agree with you, they should cut him but they won't. They think the world of Gore and his presence to the team. They'll ask him to restructure or re-work the numbers with a small extension. And he if doesn't, they'll just eat it at his current rate.
Every offseason is its own animal. Just because he's had tendencies in the past doesn't mean he's not going to judge this offseason individually and make decisions based on where the team is at right now.

There's literally no way to prove that he's going to be idle in FA this year.

As for Byrd, he'd pay him because it's a much different situation than Goldson or Whitner. For starters - he better than both players. It's entirely possible they'll pounce on that move even though they didn't sign either inferior safety in previous years. I think you're confusing selectiveness with being allergic to FA. Also, they're 3 years NFCCG with no SB. There's more pressure to get as good as possible as soon as possible. That means adding an impact guy if they can.

I mean, I hope you're right. But it makes sense that they'll at least sniff around the two top safeties considering their situation.
Old 02-23-2014, 04:29 PM    (permalink
dan77733
All-Pro

Quote:
Every offseason is its own animal. Just because he's had tendencies in the past doesn't mean he's not going to judge this offseason individually and make decisions based on where the team is at right now.

There's literally no way to prove that he's going to be idle in FA this year.

As for Byrd, he'd pay him because it's a much different situation than Goldson or Whitner. For starters - he better than both players. It's entirely possible they'll pounce on that move even though they didn't sign either inferior safety in previous years. I think you're confusing selectiveness with being allergic to FA. Also, they're 3 years NFCCG with no SB. There's more pressure to get as good as possible as soon as possible. That means adding an impact guy if they can.

I mean, I hope you're right. But it makes sense that they'll at least sniff around the two top safeties considering their situation.
Baalke isnt going to go after Byrd especially if he gets franchised. Way too much money and draft pick(s). I can see Baalke possibly re-signing Whitner but if he lets Whitner go, I would be shocked if he was to go after Byrd.

Baalke puts a price on every player and its said that he doesnt go past that price no matter what so we'll see.

My personal preference is to trade up in the draft for Calvin Pryor. FA wise, I would love Verner, Sanders and Mack but none of that is going to happen. Baalke and the 49ers now are like the Patriots...draft, draft and draft.
Old 02-23-2014, 04:43 PM    (permalink
PoopSandwich
All-Pro

PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PoopSandwich is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeDan17 View Post
Read a tweet Browns want to Brown and bring in Shaub.

Sigh...
It's not like he would be starting

"If something happens, and it's the Cleveland Browns, I'm going to pour my heart out for the Dawg Pound and try to win a Super Bowl for Cleveland," he said. "I don't care if they've had 20 starting quarterbacks since 1999. I'm going to be the 21st and the guy that brought them the Super Bowl." - JFF
PoopSandwich is offline   Reply With Quote