Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New Orleans Saints Team Forum

New Orleans Saints Team Forum Discuss the Saints

Old 02-25-2007, 07:09 PM    (permalink
Sveen
Pro Bowler

Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Saints Offseason Thread

Post all Free Agent Signings,Rumors, Releases, & Re-Signings here!

Quote:
The Saints might not be able to afford cornerback Nate Clements or linebacker Adalius Thomas, two of the premier defensive free agents. But they said they will explore the possibilities. Other options they will likely pursue include linebacker Donnie Edwards and cornerback Nick Harper.
Source: http://www.nola.com/saints/t-p/index...l=1&thispage=2

Signature made by me

Sveen's 2014 NFL Draft Spreadsheet

Last edited by diabsoule : 03-06-2007 at 11:53 PM.
Sveen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 07:42 PM    (permalink
UtepMiner

Eh I'm not too high on Harper, simply because he is 33 and has mostly played in a Cover 2 Scheme these past few years in Indy.

I feel like Edwards even despite his age, or London Fletcher even would be solid upgrades in the middle that would bolster the Defense.

Free agency is approaching in a few days so we'll see who they go after.

Last edited by UtepMiner : 02-25-2007 at 07:54 PM.
Old 02-25-2007, 09:24 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auron View Post
Eh I'm not too high on Harper, simply because he is 33 and has mostly played in a Cover 2 Scheme these past few years in Indy.

I feel like Edwards even despite his age, or London Fletcher even would be solid upgrades in the middle that would bolster the Defense.

Free agency is approaching in a few days so we'll see who they go after.
I agree with you, man. I'd rather us go after a young, promising guy in FA or draft a few good guys.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:
www.saturdaynightslant.com

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/LaSportsDude
diabsoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 10:30 PM    (permalink
bucknut12
Rookie

bucknut12 is a cocksman.bucknut12 is a cocksman.bucknut12 is a cocksman.bucknut12 is a cocksman.bucknut12 is a cocksman.

Fletcher stays hurt.

Edwards productivity has not declined as his age has gone up.
bucknut12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 10:33 PM    (permalink
UtepMiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acreboy View Post
Fletcher stays hurt.

Edwards productivity has not declined as his age has gone up.
I don't believe Fletcher has ever had injury problems. He's played all 16 games of the season every year of his career, and amassed 130+ tackles for the past 5 seasons.

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/12371

I don't think it matters though, rumor is that the Redskins already have a deal in place for him once free agency starts.

Last edited by UtepMiner : 02-25-2007 at 10:40 PM.
Old 02-25-2007, 11:26 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I don't believe Fletcher has ever had injury problems. He's played all 16 games of the season every year of his career, and amassed 130+ tackles for the past 5 seasons.

I don't think it matters though, rumor is that the Redskins already have a deal in place for him once free agency starts.
That doesn't suprise me. If we get Edwards then that will be a big help but I don't think that diminishes our need for another LB, it only pushes it down until about Round 3 instead of Round 1.

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter
Old 02-26-2007, 01:05 AM    (permalink
Saints Dome Patrol
Team Leader
Veteran

Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabsoule View Post
That doesn't suprise me. If we get Edwards then that will be a big help but I don't think that diminishes our need for another LB, it only pushes it down until about Round 3 instead of Round 1.

I know I'm not in the majority here, but I don't know if we need to go after Donnie Edwards. He's no spring chicken, and I feel like we can always draft a better replacement for Mark Simoneau in the Draft.

Sig by jkpigskin

SUPER BOWL XLIV CHAMPIONS! Bless you boys!

WHO DAT? TWO DAT!

Check out my blog!
http://sportsinsomniacs.wordpress.com/

Follow myself and The Sports Insomniacs on Twitter!
https://twitter.com/SportInsomniacs
Saints Dome Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 01:36 AM    (permalink
DeangeloHall4President

I think in the first round we should go with the Best Defensive player available, unless we get a steal on the offensive side of the ball at WR or Olsen (if he continues to impress). With his 40 time and his hands being as good as they are he might be considered if there is no defensive player worth the pick
Old 02-26-2007, 08:38 AM    (permalink
Acreboy
Pro Bowler

Acreboy hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.Acreboy hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtepMiner View Post

The Redskins have a deal with everyone once FA starts...
Acreboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 11:49 AM    (permalink
Sveen
Pro Bowler

Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sveen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeangeloHall4President View Post
I think in the first round we should go with the Best Defensive player available, unless we get a steal on the offensive side of the ball at WR or Olsen (if he continues to impress).
I can almost agree with that. I'd like to see us taking the best LB/DB/DT available in the 1st round, but if we could get a steal in a WR or TE that would be good too.

Signature made by me

Sveen's 2014 NFL Draft Spreadsheet
Sveen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 11:58 AM    (permalink
TPFKA#1SaintsFan
Pro Bowler

TPFKA#1SaintsFan hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.TPFKA#1SaintsFan hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Old and old. And not much of an upgrade, either.

Either we bring in young players to develop and let play, or we bring in veterans who would be an upgrade over what we have now. I'm not sure either of those guys would be an upgrade at this point in their careers.
The Poster Formerly Known As #1SaintsFan

Sig by jkpigskin
TPFKA#1SaintsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 01:08 PM    (permalink
Flyboy
All-Pro

Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPFKA#1SaintsFan View Post
Old and old. And not much of an upgrade, either.

Either we bring in young players to develop and let play, or we bring in veterans who would be an upgrade over what we have now. I'm not sure either of those guys would be an upgrade at this point in their careers.
Right. Donnie Edwards' 100+ tackles a year wouldn't help our defense out at ALL.
The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

“We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. We’ve shown we’ve been able to do that.” - Jabari Greer
Flyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 01:15 PM    (permalink
TPFKA#1SaintsFan
Pro Bowler

TPFKA#1SaintsFan hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.TPFKA#1SaintsFan hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy View Post
Right. Donnie Edwards' 100+ tackles a year wouldn't help our defense out at ALL.

Danny Clark's sure didn't.

Sig by jkpigskin
Old 02-26-2007, 01:26 PM    (permalink
Auron
Veteran

Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Danny Clark's sure didn't.
Well for some reason the staff was reluctant to give him major playing time, probably because he was never fully up to date on the Defensive calls until after training camp. I'd still like to see him re-signed (for cheap)he was good in goal line situations and would be an excellent back up.

With that said either Edwards, or Fletcher are far superior to Mark Simoneau, and would be good for 2-3 years.
Old 02-26-2007, 01:51 PM    (permalink
TPFKA#1SaintsFan
Pro Bowler

Quote:
With that said either Edwards, or Fletcher are far superior to Mark Simoneau, and would be good for 2-3 years.
Hmm, not really. I'm starting to think that a few of you judge linebackers based on one thing, and one thing only: tackles. To say that Edwards and Fletcher are far superior to Simoneau is simply not true at this point in their careers. Simoneau was serviceable, not great for us. It would likely be the same story with Edwards and Fletcher. We need a guy in the middle who is preferably no older than 30, with decent speed, and with good coverage ability as well as run-stuffing. But most of all, we need a guy who is NOT on the downside of their career. At this point, Edwards or Fletcher instead of Simoneau wouldn't make much of a significant difference AT ALL. I'd actually feel much better moving Shanle inside.

Sig by jkpigskin
Old 02-26-2007, 02:24 PM    (permalink
Auron
Veteran

Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think you're looking too much into age, I don't like signing aging veterans either, but these guys are consistent veterans who have playing at a high level despite of age.

Simoneau was the weak link on the LB corps this year, he was able to get players aligned and make the calls but he lacks sideline to sideline speed, often times the other LBs got to ball carriers before him. He often times took a false step in the wrong direction and bit on misdirection, which in turn opened up running lanes for opposing backs. When Hollis Thomas was drawing double teams he still failed to make plays.

Compare Edwards', and Fletcher's production over the past 3 years and you can see why people think it is decent upgrade at the position.

Donnie Edwards
Year G Total Tkl Ast Sacks Int Pass Def
'04 16 150 104.0 46 1 5 8
'05 16 152 112.0 40 3 2 9
'06 16 141 97.0 44 2.5 3 4

London Fletcher
'04 16 142 92.0 50 3.5 0 3
'05 16 157 104.0 53 4 1 2
'06 16 146 104.0 42 2 4 7

Mark Simoneau
'04 14 48 33.0 15 1.5 0 0 1
'05 16 36 27.0 9 0 0 0 2
'06 16 61 33.0 28 1 1 0 0

noticeable difference, Fletcher, and Edwards have been consistent highly productive starters, while Simoneau has been a backup who was able to be a serviceable starter for a year.
Old 02-26-2007, 04:49 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

Quote:
Hmm, not really. I'm starting to think that a few of you judge linebackers based on one thing, and one thing only: tackles. To say that Edwards and Fletcher are far superior to Simoneau is simply not true at this point in their careers. Simoneau was serviceable, not great for us. It would likely be the same story with Edwards and Fletcher. We need a guy in the middle who is preferably no older than 30, with decent speed, and with good coverage ability as well as run-stuffing. But most of all, we need a guy who is NOT on the downside of their career. At this point, Edwards or Fletcher instead of Simoneau wouldn't make much of a significant difference AT ALL. I'd actually feel much better moving Shanle inside.
I think someone then would be Kawika Mitchell. He's 28, used to be a Will backer so he can cover, he can hit and be a run stuffer, and played in the highly competitive AFC West. If we can sign him then we could still draft a backer.

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter
Old 02-26-2007, 04:52 PM    (permalink
TPFKA#1SaintsFan
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabsoule View Post
I think someone then would be Kawika Mitchell. He's 28, used to be a Will backer so he can cover, he can hit and be a run stuffer, and played in the highly competitive AFC West. If we can sign him then we could still draft a backer.
I think I said that Mitchell wouldn't be much of an upgrade in another thread, but quite honestly I don't know that much about him. If what you say is true, he would be a fine signing. I've heard bad things about him though, such as never lived up to his potential.

Sig by jkpigskin
Old 02-26-2007, 06:23 PM    (permalink
Saints67
Rookie

Saints67 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default Saints Signings/Releases

to a 4 year contract.....

per ESPN-News...
Saints67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 06:24 PM    (permalink
Saints Dome Patrol
Team Leader
Veteran

Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints Dome Patrol is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saints67 View Post
to a 4 year contract.....

per ESPN.
I think I speak for the majority of Saints fans on here when I say...

THANK GOD! :D

Sig by jkpigskin

SUPER BOWL XLIV CHAMPIONS! Bless you boys!

WHO DAT? TWO DAT!

Check out my blog!
http://sportsinsomniacs.wordpress.com/

Follow myself and The Sports Insomniacs on Twitter!
https://twitter.com/SportInsomniacs
Saints Dome Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 06:48 PM    (permalink
TPFKA#1SaintsFan
Pro Bowler

"Between bonuses and base salary, Thomas, 33, will earn $6 million in 2007 on a deal that totals $12 million."

Well, we overpaid.

Sig by jkpigskin
Old 02-26-2007, 07:06 PM    (permalink
Auron
Veteran

Quote:
"Between bonuses and base salary, Thomas, 33, will earn $6 million in 2007 on a deal that totals $12 million."

Well, we overpaid.
That is true, but in free agency you almost have to overpay a little to get your guys. I'll have to see the contract details. Maybe the deal is front loaded, so that the majority of the cash is in the first year.

Actually I'm surprised, hearing Hollis earlier this week it seemed like he almost certain to leave. I think maybe we didn't want to have another glaring need at DT, when we already have holes at CB, and MLB.
Old 02-26-2007, 07:10 PM    (permalink
TPFKA#1SaintsFan
Pro Bowler

Quote:
That is true, but in free agency you almost have to overpay a little to get your guys. I'll have to see the contract details. Maybe the deal is front loaded, so that the majority of the cash is in the first year.

Actually I'm surprised, hearing Hollis earlier this week it seemed like he almost certain to leave. I think maybe we didn't want to have another glaring need at DT, when we already have holes at CB, and MLB.

I believe the contract is front loaded. $6 million out of a total of $12 million comes in the first year. Which is why we overpaid.

Sig by jkpigskin
Old 02-26-2007, 07:20 PM    (permalink
Auron
Veteran

Quote:
I believe the contract is front loaded. $6 million out of a total of $12 million comes in the first year. Which is why we overpaid.
Yeah. Well if he ever experiences a major drop off after this year the Saints can cut him with little, to no penalty.

In the end I think this deal will be ok, there's going to be a lot of inflated contracts this off-season with the increased cap space around the league.

Now Mickey can focus his attention to working things out with Grant, and negotiating with Stinchcomb.
Old 02-26-2007, 09:20 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

I think we had to overpay him a little but now we have our main run stuffer back. I'm hoping we can still land someone like DT Ian Scott to help out the rotation. Here's hoping too that we can sign someone like Rod Hood as well.

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter