Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Minnesota Vikings Team Forum

Minnesota Vikings Team Forum Discuss the Vikings

Old 08-04-2011, 08:09 PM    (permalink
Ozzy
Pro Bowler

Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Possible 2011 Vikings 53 man roster

This is without any preseason games played, but here is a potential 53 man roster for the Vikings next season. Major areas of concern clearly being receiver, safety and offensive tackle.

Charlie Johnson is an ok tackle, but nothing great, I expect huge things from Love though. I hope we get Sullivan out of there at center as well but who knows. Receiver is weak as can be, but thankfully Rudolph will make up for that and I bet the Vikings play two tight ends almost constantly. Because then they have actual pass catching weapons on the field. They might keep two running backs, but if not lucky for Robinson, he has few to compete with, same with D'Imperio at fullback, but Asiata could be a surprise. The defensive line should be ok, Ayodele was pretty good on the Saints but was not a star by any means, need a lot of improvement out of Guion and I expect that. Ballard could play end I feel as well. Farwell might finally get his chance to start at outside linebacker, I hope he does. Corner is a question Winfield could be the nickle and Cook might start over him. And safety is really rough, Williams was by far out best safety and I have never liked Tyrell Johnson. Abdullah or Sanford could get major opportunities this year, but not sure they will do anything with them.

QB Ponder, McNabb, Webb
RB Peterson, Gerhart, A. Robinson
FB D'Imperio
WR Harvin, G. Camarillo, D. Aromashodu
WR Berrian, M. Jenkins, J. Johnson
TE Shiancoe, Rudolph, Kleinsasser, A. Reisner
OT C. Johnson, D. Love
OG Hutchinson
C Sullivan, B. Fusco
OG Herrera, C. DeGeare
OT Loadholt, Kooistra

DE J. Allen, E. Griffin
DT K. Williams, Ayodele
DT F. Evans, Guion
DE Robison, Ballard
OLB Greenway, K. Onatolu
ILB EJ Henderson, J. Brinkley
OLB Farwell, E. Henderson
CB C. Griffin, A. Allen, B. Burton
CB Winfield, C. Cook
SS T. Johnson, E. Frampton
FS J. Sanford, M. Raymond

K Longwell
P Kluwe
LS C. Loeffler

My bet they pickup a offensive tackle, safety or receiver when more cuts come around the league.

Be interesting to see what happens, and I hope Ponder wins the job over McNabb, enough of this giving our organization to a washed up veteran and try to squeak into the playoffs. See what Ponder can do, and sadly enough what put Webb back at receiver, sure is big and athletic enough...

Last edited by Ozzy : 08-08-2011 at 10:04 AM.
Ozzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 12:21 AM    (permalink
yo123
Legend

yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

WTF?

-Chris Cook is not starting over Winfield
-Erin Henderson is starting not Farwell
-There is no QB competition McNabb is the starter
-Why are we keeping 4 TE's and only 8 O-lineman?
-Ayodele is starting over Evans
- Madieu Williams was not "far and away" our best safety last year
yo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 03:00 AM    (permalink
General Zod
All-Pro

General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Also Lorenzo Booker will have a spot at RB just because of his return abilities.

http://www.change.org/petitions/trac...share_petition
General Zod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 08:18 AM    (permalink
Ozzy
Pro Bowler

Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ozzy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
yo123 WTF?

-Chris Cook is not starting over Winfield
-Erin Henderson is starting not Farwell
-There is no QB competition McNabb is the starter
-Why are we keeping 4 TE's and only 8 O-lineman?
-Ayodele is starting over Evans
- Madieu Williams was not "far and away" our best safety last year
Cook could easily start over Winfield, and yes that is because more likely than not Winfield will be injury at some point in the season this year just like last.

Erin Henderson, that would be great if he starts, that would be awesome, not sure he is there yet, I have yet to be really impressed by him but maybe he has gotten a lot better during the lockout.

I say there is a competition, McNabb might start the first few games but I really hope Ponder takes it from him and McNabb is just the mentor. Time to start looking for the future instead of just maybe getting sneaking into the playoffs. McNabb is there only for the mentor role, doubt he pulls a Randall Cunningham, especially with our current receivers. Let us not even go with the Favre comments and last seasons results.

The offensive lineman I agree, but who is your backup tackle, Pat Brown, Scott Kooistra. I guess one could throw Kooistra in there that is only because he has been around. I will make that change.

Who was better than Williams last year, Johnson? Really?

Quote:
Also Lorenzo Booker will have a spot at RB just because of his return abilities.
Maybe, but couldn't Jaymar Johnson pull it off, and Harvin but not sure they will put him back there.
Old 08-05-2011, 08:41 AM    (permalink
General Zod
All-Pro

General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzy View Post
Cook could easily start over Winfield, and yes that is because more likely than not Winfield will be injury at some point in the season this year just like last.

Erin Henderson, that would be great if he starts, that would be awesome, not sure he is there yet, I have yet to be really impressed by him but maybe he has gotten a lot better during the lockout.

I say there is a competition, McNabb might start the first few games but I really hope Ponder takes it from him and McNabb is just the mentor. Time to start looking for the future instead of just maybe getting sneaking into the playoffs. McNabb is there only for the mentor role, doubt he pulls a Randall Cunningham, especially with our current receivers. Let us not even go with the Favre comments and last seasons results.

The offensive lineman I agree, but who is your backup tackle, Pat Brown, Scott Kooistra. I guess one could throw Kooistra in there that is only because he has been around. I will make that change.

Maybe, but couldn't Jaymar Johnson pull it off, and Harvin but not sure they will put him back there.
Terrell Johnson wasnt even active for most games. The best safety play we got was when Manure Williams was not involved. E. Frampton H. Abdullah, J. Sanford playing. Williams was easily the worst safety on the team and it wasnt even close.

Frazier has already stated he'll need to get Percy more involved in the regular offense. And Jaymar Johnson has worked out hard this off season and reported to look great in just a couple practices.

Old 08-05-2011, 09:21 AM    (permalink
Ozzy
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Terrell Johnson wasnt even active for most games. The best safety play we got was when Manure Williams was not involved. E. Frampton H. Abdullah, J. Sanford playing. Williams was easily the worst safety on the team and it wasnt even close.
Williams is not that bad, he has been in the NFL 8 seasons and has been a starter all of those seasons. Sure was not his best year last year but the year previous he was the only real safe bet back there in coverage. Abdullah did play well last year but anyone can have one good year, hopefully it is consistent. Is a reason why Williams might be the starter at safety in San Fran if Goldson does not resign, maybe Reggie Smith and Taylor Mays start though too...
Old 08-05-2011, 04:06 PM    (permalink
yo123
Legend

yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

You didn't say anything about injuries. No kidding Cook would start over Winfield if Winfield can't play.

Erin has been working with the first team in training camp.

The team has said there is no competition. McNabb is the starter.

I would take Abdullah's and Sanfords performances over Williams.
Old 08-08-2011, 10:04 AM    (permalink
Ozzy
Pro Bowler

So much for Mr. Abdullah, it will be interesting to see how he does in Arizona, but now the Vikings are totally messed up at safety. Should really take a look at Dashon Goldson for strong safety since the 49ers have signed Madieu Williams and Donte Whitner recently and clearly are done with Goldson. Eric Frampton might get a lot of time now since Abdullah is out of it.

It will be really interesting to see if they resign Tahi or not, I hope not. And Lito Sheppard is nothing like he used to be but at least he has experience at corner. And I assume Pat Williams is done since they signed Ayodele, losing Pat if we do will hurt the locker room a lot I think though.

Of the safeties out there now signed as of right now, here are the ones I hope the Vikings take a look at. Not sure how much cap space they even have but I would not be comfortable at all with the safeties we have now. Bigby would be great but doubt Packers do not resign him, Bengals have some ok safeties and they will not resign them all, I like Ndukwe and Roy Williams is solid but old clearly. Michael Johnson has some ability and Deon Grant is ok in coverage but not very strong. Hamlin is washed up but might be worth a look. And worst case bring in an old vet like Tyrone Carter to get some stability. I would still love to get Goldson but not sure we have the cap space to do that.

Dashon Goldson 49ers
Atari Bigby Packers
Roy Williams Bengals
Chinedum Ndukwe Bengals
Michael Johnson Giants
Deon Grant Giants
Ken Hamlin Colts
Anthony Smith Packers
Marvin White Bengals
Tyrone Carter Chargers
Old 08-08-2011, 11:52 AM    (permalink
Ozzy
Pro Bowler

Clearly I doubt he would want to do it because the Vikings are not really contenders for a Super Bowl this up coming season. But I would love to have had Randy Moss still on the team, and then he could provide a receiving option and help mentor the young receivers much like Chris Carter did with him.

Sure it is not the best fit, question marks at quarterback and a running football team, which would need him to block. But still it would be nice to see him end his career as a Viking. But since he said some bad things last year about Childress, then Childress cuts him basically. Too bad he did not stick on the roster and could at least retire a Viking and or play this last year with the Vikings then call it quits the proper way.

Oh well, I hope he comes back but I do not think he can get over the Patriot situation and really wishes he was back there and cannot get over that fact. And the fact that Chad Johnson is there now, probably really upsets him because Randy Moss is worlds ahead of Chad Johnson as a receiver.
Old 08-08-2011, 02:58 PM    (permalink
General Zod
All-Pro

Quote:
So much for Mr. Abdullah, it will be interesting to see how he does in Arizona, but now the Vikings are totally messed up at safety. Should really take a look at Dashon Goldson for strong safety since the 49ers have signed Madieu Williams and Donte Whitner recently and clearly are done with Goldson. Eric Frampton might get a lot of time now since Abdullah is out of it.

It will be really interesting to see if they resign Tahi or not, I hope not. And Lito Sheppard is nothing like he used to be but at least he has experience at corner. And I assume Pat Williams is done since they signed Ayodele, losing Pat if we do will hurt the locker room a lot I think though.
Am I missing something here? Did we trade Abdullah? I dont think that 49ers are done with Goldson since they resigned him this morning.

Lito Sheppard was lousy last season, and is also not on the team anymore.

Im pretty sure Tahi is done in Minnesota. He was a Childress guy and doesnt fit in Musgrave's offense. Plus they seem to like Ryan D'Imperio's upside.

Pat may have been a good locker room guy, but his diminishing play and age factored in to us not picking him back up. There are still strong locker room personalities(Jared Allen, AP, Kevin Williams) to where I think we'll be ok. Frazier must see something in Ayodele and he was pretty decent last season with the Saints. Frazier said it was important to him that the D line gets younger. So we'll see where this goes.

Old 08-08-2011, 03:24 PM    (permalink
Ozzy
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Am I missing something here? Did we trade Abdullah? I dont think that 49ers are done with Goldson since they resigned him this morning.

Lito Sheppard was lousy last season, and is also not on the team anymore.

Im pretty sure Tahi is done in Minnesota. He was a Childress guy and doesnt fit in Musgrave's offense. Plus they seem to like Ryan D'Imperio's upside.

Pat may have been a good locker room guy, but his diminishing play and age factored in to us not picking him back up. There are still strong locker room personalities(Jared Allen, AP, Kevin Williams) to where I think we'll be ok. Frazier must see something in Ayodele and he was pretty decent last season with the Saints. Frazier said it was important to him that the D line gets younger. So we'll see where this goes.
Second one down on the list, not sure when it happened but looks like he is on Arizona.
http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/fa?&a...com%2fnfl%2ffa

Wow they signed Goldson, huh well they will have plenty of safeties and even have one as a backup...

And I never knew it, but Mike Singletary is on our staff, that is outstanding, great resource for everyone, I always liked his intensity and philosophy on the 49ers. They sure collected some good young offensive lineman when he was there and developed a very good roster.
http://www.vikings.com/team/coaches/...f-db8ad0aae008

They should really bring in some experience to compete against D'Imperio. Sure he is talented but with guys like Heath Evans, Tony Richardson and Nehemiah Broughton why not? But doubt they would, Tony Richardson really is one fine fullback, that is for sure.
Old 08-08-2011, 03:24 PM    (permalink
yo123
Legend

Adbullah is still a Viking. He's been at training camp every day and that's the only site that says that. Probably a typo.
Old 08-08-2011, 03:43 PM    (permalink
General Zod
All-Pro

Ok, the cards have a safety on the team named Hazma Abdullah. I think thats probably where that comes from. Husain Abdullah is a Viking who is also a safety.

Old 08-08-2011, 04:36 PM    (permalink
Ozzy
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Ok, the cards have a safety on the team named Hazma Abdullah. I think thats probably where that comes from. Husain Abdullah is a Viking who is also a safety.
ESPN.com on the free agent tracker has Husain Abdullah on the Cardinals, good to know that is a typo I guess, saves the Vikings a lot of time trying to get another safety. And it is good because really Abdullah is the only talented safety with potential we have.
Old 08-08-2011, 04:56 PM    (permalink
marshallb
All-Pro

marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marshallb is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yes, the Cards have Hazma Abdullah, which is Husain's brother, and they've had him for a couple years, before that he was with the Browns and Broncos. Husain has been with us for his only three years in the NFL.

sig by BK and avy by me
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Perfect Score View Post
If a girl is sucking me off, and I look down and shes beating off a **** of her own, I am absolutely going to tell her to stop. 100% of the time. Explain that ****.
marshallb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 08:59 AM    (permalink
Ozzy
Pro Bowler

Guess the reports were right, according to the preseason game. Looks like they are going with McNabb as the full time starter, which is ok but seriously to think one will get a lot out of this season is just expecting a little much. Hopefully Ponder gets playing time this year and experience.

After First preseason game, possible lineup.

QB McNabb, Ponder Webb
RB Peterson, Gerhart, L. Booker
FB D'Imperio
WR Harvin, G. Camarillo, D. Aromashodu
WR Berrian, M. Jenkins, J. Johnson
TE Shiancoe, Rudolph, Kleinsasser, A. Reisner
OT C. Johnson, D. Love
OG Hutchinson
C Sullivan, B. Fusco
OG Herrera, C. DeGeare
OT Loadholt, Kooistra

DE J. Allen, B. Robison
DT K. Williams, F. Evans
DT Ayodele, Guion
DE E. Griffin, Ballard
OLB Greenway, K. Onatolu
ILB EJ Henderson, J. Brinkley
OLB E. Henderson, Farwell
CB C. Griffin, A. Allen, B. Burton
CB Winfield, C. Cook
SS J. Sanford, T. Johnson
FS H. Abdullah, E. Frampton

K Longwell
P Kluwe
LS C. Loeffler

I think we possibly keep Booker as a third down tailback, because really there is no other option for a pass catching fast running back. And Jaymar Johnson should have the punt return job and make a backup receiver as well.

Jonathan Gilmore is one to watch next game, #47, 6-4 295 ILB? That is crazy, going to have to watch him a little closer next time out.

Really like what Everson Griffin played like, got out of position a few times but love his quickness off the edge and I say he stars at defensive end over Robison without question at this point. Still not totally sold on Ayodele over Evans but we will see. Ayodele does not seem to be a real great run stopper but will see what happens.

And I guess Erin is the guy as well, he sure has improved, nice to see that kind of development, and hope he is productive when the season comes around.

Personally I feel DeMarcus Love should start at offensive tackle on the left side, or will in time, his feet were just as good as they were in college. And the Colts would not hold onto a tackle that can pass protect, Charlie Johnson is clearly average and over time I think Love will take that spot from him.

I liked Ponder in the pocket, he looked like a vet in terms of his footwork and ability to escape and make plays down field by moving around. Still not a great deep throwing arm but so what, he is a smart kid and clearly picks up on things quickly. Hopefully he stays more healthy than he was on Florida State.

Like Frazier as our coach, not a quick fix guy like everyone else seems to be, hopefully they take it slow and do not make stupid moves to get petty results.