Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 12-24-2011, 12:34 PM    (permalink
Paul
All-NFLDC

Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Uhh yeah. Without a question for me.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 03:46 PM    (permalink
CDCB14
Pro Bowler

CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Uhh yeah. Without a question for me.
I would too, I just wanted to see what everyone else thought on the subject. This team hasn't had a stud at ILB before Lee came along since I can remember, and I really think it has held our defense back over the years. Lee, Carter, and Burfict for the next 8+ years would be amazing. Not to mention, I love the attitude he would bring to our defense, as long as he doesn't get personal fouls.

If he's there, I draft him before they can even say we are on the clock.
CDCB14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 02:36 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDCB14 View Post
Food for thought:

If we don't add anyone in FA at ILB and all we have on the depth chart is Lee, Carter, and Albright if he even counts as an ILB, and Burfict falls to our 2nd rounder (which is looking like a decent possibility with his stock free falling), do you take him?
I was gonna say... he totally lost my favor... like completely off the map. Dude is just a stupid player. Now you say 2nd round??? Hmmm.....

Nah.. I just don't think he and Rob would mesh.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 04:04 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Had some FA & Draft thoughts:

First FA:
- Sign Hardwick - Good center and only 30 so he's still got something left.
- Nate Livings - Somewhat of a late bloomer; not a lot of tread off the tires.

That pretty much solidifies the OL. We move TS to LT and Free back over to RT. OL =

Tyron(LT) Livings (LG) Hardwick (C) Kosier/Kowalski/Arkin (RG) Free (RT)

Draft:
1st - OLB/Pass rusher = Upshaw/Mercilus/Irvin We gotta get someone opposite Ware that can make an impact.

2nd - Hayward or Minnifield - I like that both guys have some physicality and Hyde is another guy that I like

3rd - Crick - Injury may cause him to slip. May be a bit optimistic that he's here. If so, Kheeston Randall is a good name here.

4th - Warford, G - Here's my token offensive pick.

5th - Adrien Cole, ILB - Smallish but the guy is a playmaker.

6th - Greg McCoy, CB - He's had a tough year for TCU, but the guy is a true sub-4.4 guy and maybe some technique work could pay off. Also, could be the KO returner day one.

7th - Chad Diehl, FB - Guy is a true battering ram.

-Douglas MacArthur
Macarthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 04:08 PM    (permalink
yanksknicks
Veteran

yanksknicks yanksknicks yanksknicks yanksknicks yanksknicks yanksknicks

Quote:
I would too, I just wanted to see what everyone else thought on the subject. This team hasn't had a stud at ILB before Lee came along since I can remember, and I really think it has held our defense back over the years. Lee, Carter, and Burfict for the next 8+ years would be amazing. Not to mention, I love the attitude he would bring to our defense, as long as he doesn't get personal fouls.

If he's there, I draft him before they can even say we are on the clock.
Love Burfict.

Loved Jenkins too!
yanksknicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 02:01 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanksknicks View Post
Love Burfict.

Loved Jenkins too!
The guy who reveres stooooopid players loves Burfict. I find that hilarliously ironic.
Old 12-28-2011, 04:24 PM    (permalink
E-Man
Pro Bowler

E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.E-Man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I have heard about Burfict's attitude, but I haven't delved into it to know what it's about. Is he just too physical that it causes penalties? Is he a dirty player? If he's a gifted athlete that is a hard ass that's not a bad thing considering that this team needs some attitude on defense. If he's a dumb ass, then it would be best to use that pick somewhere else. I'd still rather them sign a vet and let Carter fight for the starting job with them in training camp. He was a pretty high pick this year himself.

Da riddum is too much for you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nKx27QrgO0
E-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 12:49 AM    (permalink
chrlopez1
Veteran

chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.chrlopez1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Early but throwing out a couple of names....

Zack Brown -----he will be there either 1-3 picks before. Do we take another LB

DeCastro or Glenn OL...having another OL won't hurt, but can we wait on D.

Dennard, Jenkins and Kirkpatrick ---- I think at least one or two of these guys will be there.

Burflict LB ----he will be there.....no question about it

Konz C ------ we could trade down for this guy

Melvin Ingram.-----something about this guy i like..he might slip to our second round pick.

I like this guys...Notice anything? They are played in tough conferences..that what we need to continue to do.
chrlopez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 11:39 AM    (permalink
Paul
All-NFLDC

Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Watch us take a WR to replace Laurant. I just feel it coming.
Old 12-30-2011, 12:08 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Watch us take a WR to replace Laurant. I just feel it coming.
I think were more prone to over pay him then not re-sign him at all. He's way too valuable to take that risk, and if Dez or Austin go down he slides right in. Usually Jerry doesn't like in house guys walk if they performed. I want to draft as little offense as possible too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 01:31 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Seeing Burflict in this thread made me LOL. Sure lets take a complicated defensive scheme and introduce a player who at best fits in the "stupid" category. If you like super-athlete projects refer to Wade Phillip's man-crush Jason Williams.

FA could REALLY affect our first pick since there are a number of positions that could erase needs. Resigning Robinson removes WR from the board. Adding Grubbs/Nicks would allow us to target defense early. Adding Finnegan/Grimes takes the focus off the secondary... etc.

If I were going to close my eyes and pretend to see into the future xD

FA:
Our "big" FA deal lands us Brent Grimes (or perhaps a defection from the G-Men with Terrell Thomas) and pushes T-New out the door.

Add a reasonable deal for D'Qwell Jackson which slams the door closed on James and potentially (hopefully) Brooking.

My "hope this doesn't happen but probably will prediction" We let Spencer walk and he doesn't get a palatable deal and returns for a lower end deal with us.

My "wish" but not prediction Cowboys sign Paul Soliai and move Ratliff to DE. I'll continue as if this one didn't happen though :(.

If we're in a position to draft DeCastro with this offseason (meaning we lose to the Giants this week) we'll be in excellent shape. If not we'll be able to pick from a ton of different positions and take the player highest on the board or even the dreaded trading down.

If we beat the Giants or DeCastro is off the board early and we landed a CB in the offseason I think we can comfortably take the best rated rusher on our board which could be a range of prospects depending on your personal preference. I'm currently leaning Whitney Mercilus but pass rusher rankings become a lot more clear closer to the draft :)
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 02:12 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogdor View Post
Seeing Burflict in this thread made me LOL. Sure lets take a complicated defensive scheme and introduce a player who at best fits in the "stupid" category. If you like super-athlete projects refer to Wade Phillip's man-crush Jason Williams.
Or refer to Jason Pierre-Paul. Not that I'm disagreeing much, but when you see a super athlete project everyone always wants to look at the bust, but there are a ton of elite players in the league who fit that bill and usually when it pans out you hit the jackpot, again, see:JPP. Jason Williams was a great pick, Scott loved him, most had him graded very highly, just didn't pan out.

But because of him that doesn't steer me away from athletic projects.

That said, I'm on board with Grimes fully, if it could happen. He's important to ATL, and likely would cost a good bit, don't know if we have that type of money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 02:42 PM    (permalink
Trogdor
Pro Bowler

Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Trogdor is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
Or refer to Jason Pierre-Paul. Not that I'm disagreeing much, but when you see a super athlete project everyone always wants to look at the bust, but there are a ton of elite players in the league who fit that bill and usually when it pans out you hit the jackpot, again, see:JPP. Jason Williams was a great pick, Scott loved him, most had him graded very highly, just didn't pan out.

But because of him that doesn't steer me away from athletic projects.

That said, I'm on board with Grimes fully, if it could happen. He's important to ATL, and likely would cost a good bit, don't know if we have that type of money.
JPP was knocked for being raw and is the definition of boom-bust. -_- Jason Williams was a man without a set position in the 3-4 but had immense physical attributes. There were warnings in his play in that he was prone to overrunning the play and he did everything full throttle (including mistakes). If he diagnosed (guessed) correctly he made a big play when he misread he left a hole.

By me saying super-athletes I was tying it in with the first point about him being grouped in the "stupid" category. I wasn't attempting to lump immense physical potential together with low football IQ. :) Don't get me wrong I LOVE boom/bust players I was more-so making a comparison of those considered "low football IQ" especially at a position like ILB. I honestly think Jason Williams may have developed a lot differently as a SOLB in a 4-3 with less read-and-react.

Last edited by Trogdor : 12-30-2011 at 02:44 PM.
Trogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 10:49 PM    (permalink
yanksknicks
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
The guy who reveres stooooopid players loves Burfict. I find that hilarliously ironic.
Yup. It is a bit of a contradiction.
Old 12-30-2011, 11:27 PM    (permalink
CDCB14
Pro Bowler

CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CDCB14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Some more food for thought:

If we can't re-sign Robinson, would you take Broyles in the 3rd round if he falls that far?
Old 12-30-2011, 11:31 PM    (permalink
pocketaces
Pro Bowler

pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.pocketaces is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

If we can't re-sign Robinson, would you take Broyles in the 3rd round if he falls that far?
Yes please. ;)

The greastest team of all time...The OKLAHOMA SOONERS!!! http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3849468
pocketaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 08:51 AM    (permalink
Crimson79
Rookie

Crimson79 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crimson79 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crimson79 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crimson79 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crimson79 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crimson79 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crimson79 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crimson79 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crimson79 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crimson79 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crimson79 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

In a heart beat. Broyles would murder teams in the slot. I would prefer they just re-sign Robinson.
Crimson79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 04:38 PM    (permalink
CDCB14
Pro Bowler

After thinking things over, I want DeCastro in the first. Address our secondary issues in the FA and rounds 2 and 3.

Think about it. Our tackles are set with a good back-up in Parnell, then Arkin bulks up and man's one guard spot, and DeCastro takes another.

That would be an amazing line for the next 5+ years. Combine that with our skill position talent, and we would be almost unstoppable on offense.

I know guard is looked at as "not that important" but in my mind every player on the field is equally important. I want DeCastro. Football is won in the trenches. Time to build a monster o-line.
Old 12-31-2011, 04:54 PM    (permalink
Paul
All-NFLDC

Quote:
After thinking things over, I want DeCastro in the first. Address our secondary issues in the FA and rounds 2 and 3.

Think about it. Our tackles are set with a good back-up in Parnell, then Arkin bulks up and man's one guard spot, and DeCastro takes another.

That would be an amazing line for the next 5+ years. Combine that with our skill position talent, and we would be almost unstoppable on offense.

I know guard is looked at as "not that important" but in my mind every player on the field is equally important. I want DeCastro. Football is won in the trenches. Time to build a monster o-line.
I want DeCastro aswell, but I wouldn't say that statement is completely true anymore. Offensively an above average line with great skill players will do the trick. I mean look at Green Bay, Saints, Pittsburg, and the Patriots. Their lines have a couple big names in there but I wouldn't call them dominant. Not 90's Cowboys dominant. But then again those teams have top tier QB's.

Don't get me wrong, our O-Line can use some improvement in the interior. But DeCastro is the only guy I would look at in the first. Out offense hasn't been the problem, even with our inept O-line. I want a defense heavy off-season, is all I'm saying.
Old 12-31-2011, 04:58 PM    (permalink
Paul
All-NFLDC

Also, RB has moved up on the need chart for me. Murray and Felix, as good as they are or can be, are walking injuries. Spending a 4th-5th on one wouldn't be a bad idea. I likes me some Jonas Gray or Brandon Bolden around that range.
Old 12-31-2011, 04:59 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Also, RB has moved up on the need chart for me. Murray and Felix, as good as they are or can be, are walking injuries. Spending a 4th-5th on one wouldn't be a bad idea. I likes me some Jonas Gray or Brandon Bolden around that range.
Doug Martin is a guy I've been watching all season and I am hot and horny for him.
Old 12-31-2011, 05:51 PM    (permalink
yanksknicks
Veteran

Quote:
Doug Martin is a guy I've been watching all season and I am hot and horny for him.
I like cold weather players, so sign me up in the second but not the first. Cold weather players trend tougher and smarter.
Old 12-31-2011, 06:25 PM    (permalink
CDCB14
Pro Bowler

I agree with everything that has just been said, but Martin is going to go way too high for us at the position of running back. With the players we already have there (albeit injury prone) and the needs we have a defense, we can't take a running back anything higher than the 5th round.

In one of my previous posts about my dream off-season, I did say take a RB in the 6th or so who is a very good athlete who can learn the system and compete with Tanner.

As for DeCastro, I agree that OL isn't as big anymore with the way the NFL is an the quick 3 step drop spread offenses, but if it's DeCastro vs. someone like Ingram, I take decastro no questions asked.

Again, this is assuming we have done something to help our secondary already in FA. (Michael Griffin, LaRon Landry, Brent Grimes, Terrell Thomas, etc.)
Old 01-02-2012, 01:23 PM    (permalink
Go Cowboys
Pro Bowler

Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go Cowboys is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I'd take Doug Martin over Felix Jones, he actually runs hard.

Thanks to bonekrusher for the sig
Go Cowboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 02:24 PM    (permalink
Macarthur
Pro Bowler

Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Macarthur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If we don't address pass rusher opposite Ware early, we can forget getting any consistent pass rush next year. OL & DB can be addressed later and in FA. Pass rushers rarely get taken past the first round and anything in FA will be too expensive.

Go get someone like Hardwick and Bobbie Williams and the OL is fixed.

Sign Carlos Rogers or Fennigan

Draft 1st Pass Rusher
2nd Best available DL or DB
3rd Best available DB or DL.

-Douglas MacArthur
Macarthur is offline   Reply With Quote