Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Indianapolis Colts Team Forum

Indianapolis Colts Team Forum Discuss the Colts

Old 09-07-2011, 12:45 PM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Official 2011 Colts Regular Season Thread

Ok, let's get it started.

Looks like Peyton will miss this game.

I hope the rest of the team will step up and pull it off.

GO COLTS!
MaxV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 01:19 PM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I doubt they win this one. I hope we can go 2-2 or 2-3 to start and get Manning back.

At least we will see more running plays. Maybe the defense can work on some more aggressive looks and go for broke rather than playing scared with huge coverage cushions. Can't count on 18 winning by himself anymore.

i done stole dis sig
killxswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 12:05 AM    (permalink
RCAChainGang
Pro Bowler

RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think we will see some good football played on defense in response to Manning's absence. I think they will know they could very well lose by giving up 14 points.

I'm excited to see wether we can run the ball effectively. I won't be able to see the game. One of the negatives for being a freshman in college.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
Bill Polian is cancer wrapped in AIDS delivered in an XXL enema so please don't expect me to disagree with you.
RCAChainGang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 01:25 PM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Never seen the Colts play so badly. Defense played hard for the first two minutes then just rolled over. Offense looks completely inept except Wayne, Clark, Addai, and Carter.

i done stole dis sig
Old 09-11-2011, 01:36 PM    (permalink
falloutboy14
Veteran

falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Wayne's not having a bad game, considering what's happening around him.

We'll know more next week when we play the Browns, but got a feeling we might break some records for futility this season.
falloutboy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 11:01 PM    (permalink
RCAChainGang
Pro Bowler

RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Watching the post-game interviews and it is just pathetic.

Andrew Luck?

Sig by BoneKrusher
Quote:
Bill Polian is cancer wrapped in AIDS delivered in an XXL enema so please don't expect me to disagree with you.
Old 09-11-2011, 11:31 PM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

Defense: soft, untalented, badly coached
Offense: can't run without Manning, badly coached
Special Teams: garbage, as always

Hard to believe one guy really held this team together. I mean these are 1st teamers on defense. No injury replacements. They looked absolutely pathetic.

i done stole dis sig

Last edited by killxswitch : 09-12-2011 at 12:33 AM.
Old 09-11-2011, 11:36 PM    (permalink
RCAChainGang
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Defense: soft, untalented, badly coached
Offense: can run without Manning, badly coached
Special Teams: garbage, as always

Hard to believe one guy really held this team together. I mean these are 1st teamers on defense. No injury replacements. They looked absolutely pathetic.
You must spread more rep before giving it to killxswitch again.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Quote:
Old 09-12-2011, 01:24 AM    (permalink
falloutboy14
Veteran

falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.falloutboy14 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Read somewhere that Polian was at the Stanford game. If there are two positives to come from this season:

1) We got at least a decent shot at Andrew Luck. If Manning is out for the season, we got a shot at winning vs Panthers, Bengals Browns, and maybe a division game. If we lose those games, I don't see us picking up a win elsewhere. Even if we don't get Luck, picking in the top 5 will make for a good rebuilding year.

2) The coaching staff will be exposed for what they are. Without Peyton to cover for them, it won't be long till the team is obviously unprepared & morale will take a hit. Realistically, it's time to clean house with the coaching staff.
Old 09-12-2011, 07:29 AM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The positives were the rookies.

Castonzo, Nevis and Carter are keepers.

Ijalana should start instead of Link, there is no doubt about it.

1. They don't have to worry about Manning getting hit from his side.
2. He can't possibly be worse.
3. He'll learn quicker while playing.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:50 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxV View Post
The positives were the rookies.

Castonzo, Nevis and Carter are keepers.

Ijalana should start instead of Link, there is no doubt about it.

1. They don't have to worry about Manning getting hit from his side.
2. He can't possibly be worse.
3. He'll learn quicker while playing.
I agree with all of that. Can you imagine the D line if they'd gotten an actual NT to play next to Nevis like I kept saying they needed to do? As is I still expect them to look better than they did vs. Houston.

Castonzo looks like he's going to be good. If he turns out better than Carimi I will gladly eat crow.

I have been high on Carter since day one and I still say he'll get the most carries this year.

I completely agree with you about Ijalana. He can't be that much worse than Link and he has the potential to be much better. Get him in there now, let him make his mistakes and learn, and he'll be that much better when Manning returns.

i done stole dis sig
Old 09-13-2011, 07:43 AM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Colts release Jamey Richard and sign Seth Olsen.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2009/profil...olsen?id=81859
Old 09-13-2011, 10:32 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

Rearrange those deck chairs!

i done stole dis sig
Old 09-19-2011, 10:29 AM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Well another awful performance.

It's difficult to find positives in this situation. Perhaps one positive is the fact that the Front Office is now getting a clear view of this team's genuine problems that were being masked by the past success.

- It all starts with the coaching staff. It's just all around very poor. Clearly, the ability of Peyton to read the opposing defenses made this coaching staff look genius. Unfortunately, I think that Polians are too stubborn and we'll probably see the same staff next season.

- I'm glad that FO is making a commitment to improving the O-Line, but I'm afraid they aren't finished. Castonzo and Reitz are future starters. Ijalana might be also. But Saturday and Diem are finished and Link shouldn't even be a backup. We still need at least 2 more starters for next season.

- Our Secondary is a mess. Bethea is among the best, Powers is a solid #2 CB, Bullitt is a solid backup and Lacey isn't good enough to play in CFL. At what point do they realize that it's wise to give Thomas or Tryon a shot? Clearly, this area needs to be addressed in the off-season.

- We've dealt with the revolving door at OLB for several years now. I do believe that Angerer and Conner could play in the NFL, but I doubt that either will be a Pro-Bowler. I think Brackett has spoiled Colts' fans with his play at MLB over the years. There is no question that he has been a solid player for us for several years, but it looks like his time is coming to an end. I think we could really use a difference-maker at this position.

- I honestly thought that our D-Line would be one of the strengths of the team. Unfortunately, they too have been a disappointment. We've been hoping that Moala would develop into an every-down player, but it doesn't look like the case. I think we have a keeper in Nevis and perhaps he is a future starter, but we could still use a true NT.

- Did I miss something? Oh yeah ... AN EFFIN' BACKUP QB!!!

Clearly, there is A LOT of work to do with this team. I hope the FO recognizes that also and doesn't just blame everything on Peyton's injury.

Last edited by MaxV : 09-19-2011 at 10:32 AM.
Old 09-19-2011, 10:47 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

Max you hit on several things I want to talk about.

- I am no big fan of this coaching staff, but I disagree that it starts there. I think it starts will the front office. Specifically, Bill Polian. It is clear to me that Caldwell is Polian's yes man and has little real decision-making power outside of gameday (which is where he is probably weakest!).

What real coach is going to work for the Colts if he has to ask Polian for permission to implement his defense or change the OL strategy? Can you imagine a guy like Cowher or Fisher asking if it's ok to run the team as he sees fit?

I agree the coaching staff is a problem. I just don't think it is going to change as long as Bill Polian is still in charge.

- I like Castonzo and Reitz a lot. I would like to like Ijalana but the morons coaching that unit don't want to play him. My guess is because starting 2 rookie OTs would look bad and this front office makes decisions based on personal pride, not what is best for the team. Saturday has been over the hill for several seasons so this has to be his last year. Diem's done ok at guard, much better than at tackle. Probably need two starters at those positions, like you said.

- The secondary is really bad. IMO Powers is not living up to his potential. He is the best CB on the team but he is a great CB2 and an average CB1. Lacey should gain 30 lbs and play safety, he has straight line speed and tackling ability but can't cover. I like Bethea, the other 3 spots need upgrading.

- I didn't miss Brackett at all yesterday. I thought Angerer did a better job than GB has in a long time. He's no all-pro but Brackett is done. Time to get rid of that bloated contract and look for at least one impact LB to start. We don't have any.

- The offseason DT situation was so botched I can't stand it. I screamed to anyone that would listen that we needed a good NT to rotate with AJ. We never brought that in, but with some rotation of Harris, Ogbu, Nevis, Mathews, AJ, and Moala, I thought we'd at least see the best group in several seasons. Then the clowns running this team cut Harris, put Ogbu and Mathews on the practice squad, and made Eric Foster a full-time DT. What a freaking joke.

This roster just doesn't have very much talent. The talent it does have is getting old. Which really highlights the terrible drafts of 2007 - 2010.

Until Bill retires this team is going nowhere. Even if Manning were healthy they would struggle to make the playoffs with this roster and coaching staff.

i done stole dis sig
Old 09-19-2011, 11:06 AM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Is it Bill or Chris?

The Polians aren't going anywhere, you know that.

It's funny, I'm a fan of the Colts and Penn State and both of them have the same problem. Big-Name fathers pushing their unqualified sons into important positions.

Bill Polian made Chris the Head of all personnel decisions and we have had the worst sequence of drafts ever since.

Joe Paterno made Jay the QB coach and Penn State has been one of the worst passing offenses in college football ever since.

Why couldn't these whiny brats just started their own businesses or something?

Last edited by MaxV : 09-19-2011 at 11:14 AM.
Old 09-19-2011, 11:20 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

If the bad drafts are Chris's fault then sure, get him out of there too. My impression though is that Chris only just got out from his father's shadow long enough to oversee the 2011 draft (which I liked), before Bill took back over and started making bad decisions again. I think Chris has worked for other teams prior to his time with the Colts.

i done stole dis sig
Old 09-19-2011, 11:29 AM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Perhaps you're right. I assumed that '09 and '10 drafts were Chris' masterpieces.

I'm not sure who is truely in charge of the drafts. Whoever it was that made decisions of drafting Ugoh, Pollak, Brown and Hughes deserves a drop kick to the teeth.
Old 09-19-2011, 11:59 AM    (permalink
falloutboy14
Veteran

I'm pretty sure Chris has followed Bill around since his Carolina days. I'm not aware of him working with a team outside of Bill being in charge.

Chris became GM in November of '09, which would put his first draft as GM being the Brown draft. And as I understood it, this year was his first one in charge.

In the Ugoh draft, I do remember something to the effect of Chris said, "Are you going to make the trade?" to Bill as Ugoh was falling into the middle of the 2nd round. Don't know who graded Ugoh as 1st round worthy, but Bill pulled the trigger.
Old 09-19-2011, 12:18 PM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

I don't blame Chris for Brown. Not when Bill had such personal comments like "He reminds me of Thurman Thomas". I'm sure Chris had a hand in the selection process, but it is impossible to know to what extent.

What I do know is that Bill was at one time a good drafter. He has lost it. My hope is that Chris took the good and saw the bad for what it was and has the vision to correct it and be a great GM on his own. That is what I saw in the 2011 draft. Two OTs and a DT in the first 3 rounds to me is not a Bill Polian draft. Of the 5 players taken, 4 look like they will be long-term starters and Rucker is an unknown 6th rounder. Looks like a good draft to me.

i done stole dis sig
Old 09-19-2011, 12:27 PM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

2011 absolutely looks like a good draft.

You guys might remember me saying before the draft that BP likes to devirsify his drafts and won't spend first 2 rounders on OLs or first 3 picks on 300 lbs players.

This draft certainly went against the trend.
Old 09-19-2011, 12:42 PM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxV View Post
2011 absolutely looks like a good draft.

You guys might remember me saying before the draft that BP likes to devirsify his drafts and won't spend first 2 rounders on OLs or first 3 picks on 300 lbs players.

This draft certainly went against the trend.
I remember because I agreed. That's why I think that was truly Chris's work, not Bill's.

It's also why I think Bill has taken some power back. If Chris were actually the GM and running the day-to-day stuff I think Ijalana (the guy Chris traded up to get) would be starting.

i done stole dis sig
Old 09-20-2011, 12:59 AM    (permalink
RCAChainGang
Pro Bowler

I am having trouble finding parts of this team to be proud of. I didn't think that would happen for a long while. At least I still love Collie...

Sig by BoneKrusher
Quote:
Old 09-20-2011, 09:06 AM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

There are a few bright spots.

The left side of the OL looks set. Castonzo and Reitz are only going to get better. If the coaches pull their heads out of... the sand, and start Ijalana instead of Linkenbach, by the end of the year that position might be locked down for several years too. It's a lot easier to protect your banged up 36 year old QB if at least 3 of your OL spots are solid. I don't know if Castonzo and Reitz are just that talented or if the new OL coach is figuring things out.

Addai and Carter have both looked good. As I've been saying, Carter is the future at RB. I also like Evans. All 3 will continue to look improved as the OL improves.

As for the defense, right now I agree there is not much to be proud of. Even our DEs are ineffective except in certain circumstances. It is time to restructure the defensive side of the ball. No I don't mean a 3-4. I mean make logical adjustments. Not all 4-3 schemes have to be cover 2.

i done stole dis sig
Old 09-20-2011, 10:04 AM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

The reason for opptimism might be an eventual return of Manning and a high draft pick.

Actually I'd like to know what you guys might think of possibly trading the 1st overall pick, if we get it.

It could land us several high picks that we might use to fill our holes.