Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Chicago Bears Team Forum

Chicago Bears Team Forum Discuss Ditka and Da Bears

Old 05-02-2012, 05:37 PM    (permalink
awfullyquiet
Miss NFLDC
All-Pro

awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monomach View Post
Round 1- Shea McClellin (theoretically a LE)
Good motor, good pad level. Undersized for a 4-3 DE, especially on the left where we'll be playing him.
I'm only going to say this once, and then I'm outsies.

260lbs (which is what he was at the Combine) is exactly the size you want out of a pass rushing 4-3 DE that the bears want. Ogunleye was that size. Dwight Freeney is smaller. Robert Mathis is smaller. Alex Brown was that size. Jared Allen is between 265-270. Not everyone is ineffective at 260. It's a big mans league, but more than that, it's a leverage league. He plays with good leverage and balance, and that is more important than whatever number is on the scale.

He's probably not going to get much bigger than 265, and that's OK. Not everyone has to have a speed/height ratio like Peppers to be uber productive. They have to control their gaps and let the play flow to the LBs to rack up plenty of tackles. They don't have to be dominant in the run game, but they do have to play smart. That's everything that Emery says about McClellin in a nutshell.

I also think that Emery gifted this to Smith in order for him to cover the screen.

United: "I actually went to the college I root for"
awfullyquiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 05:59 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by awfullyquiet View Post

260lbs (which is what he was at the Combine) is exactly the size you want out of a pass rushing 4-3 DE that the bears want. Ogunleye was that size. Dwight Freeney is smaller. Robert Mathis is smaller. Alex Brown was that size. Jared Allen is between 265-270. Not everyone is ineffective at 260. It's a big mans league, but more than that, it's a leverage league. He plays with good leverage and balance, and that is more important than whatever number is on the scale.

He's probably not going to get much bigger than 265, and that's OK. Not everyone has to have a speed/height ratio like Peppers to be uber productive. They have to control their gaps and let the play flow to the LBs to rack up plenty of tackles. They don't have to be dominant in the run game, but they do have to play smart. That's everything that Emery says about McClellin in a nutshell.

I also think that Emery gifted this to Smith in order for him to cover the screen.
Powerfully said.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 06:04 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Girl power.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:56 AM    (permalink
regoob2
All-Pro

regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.regoob2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

I agree he doesnt need to get bigger. I think if he gets stronger it will only help. He needs a bit of time in the weight room but his size isnt an issue.

regoob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 12:15 AM    (permalink
Monomach
All-Pro

Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Monomach is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

260lbs is ok if you're strong. Shea just isn't. He's got the upper body strength of Alshon Jeffery. It shows both on tape and in his workout. Dwight Freeney and Jared Allen are both complete ends...but they're 270 and stronger than Shea while being just as fast.

Ogunleye was always inconsistent against the run. Alex Brown was the opposite, strong against the run but not great at rushing the passer. It took 6 years for Robert Mathis to stop being a detriment to the defense on running plays. Dumervil is a smaller guy you didn't mention that popped right into my head, and he was a liability against the run when the Broncos were 4-3. That's a lot of one-dimensional guys at that size.

Quote:
He's probably not going to get much bigger than 265, and that's OK. Not everyone has to have a speed/height ratio like Peppers to be uber productive.
No, they don't have to be like Peppers, but nearly all of the effective 4-down players at 4-3 DE are in the area of 6-5 and 270 lbs. The ones that aren't are the minority. In the top 20, you need to get people who are going to be on the field all of the time.

Quote:
They have to control their gaps and let the play flow to the LBs to rack up plenty of tackles. They don't have to be dominant in the run game, but they do have to play smart. That's everything that Emery says about McClellin in a nutshell.
Emery can say what he wants, but this doesn't show up on tape. In college, he was used in a variety of positions. Emery says we're just using him at LE, and that looked to be about where he was the worst on tape. He was ok against tackles when he had a running start and some space to maneuver and was ok head-on against slow guards, but when he lined up right on tackles for a one-on-one matchup, he was just swallowed up. He has no strength to move them and the straight-line speed he looked to rely on is largely negated when you're starting off inches from him.
Quote:
I can see that, but we were good against the screen as we were.

Side note: It's almost shocking that the guy manages to be 260lbs with such short arms and not destroy the bench press. That kind of weight on his frame with short arms is usually the blueprint for success at that. My first thought was that he must have amazing leg muscles, but that doesn't show in the workout numbers that usually show lower-body explosion. It all comes together to scream "soft body" and "overachieving low-ceiling player."

Like I said, if he manages to put on 10lbs of muscle in his upper body and keep his speed, I'll see it differently, but right now he looks like a one-trick pony situational pass rusher a la Mark Anderson/Dumervil/Ogunleye/early Mathis.
Monomach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 01:32 PM    (permalink
MidwayMonster31
Pro Bowler

MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MidwayMonster31 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Fortunately McClellin is a pretty hard worker, so he can be a solid player. I think right now, he might get looks at SLB or 3rd down edge rusher, with the ability to go down to every down player next year, once he gains the proper amount of strength. He is more of a pursuit player, which suits us pretty well since he can get after short passes and screens better.
MidwayMonster31 is online now   Reply With Quote