Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 09-06-2011, 02:40 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Garrard will be picked up quickly I'm sure. I wouldn't mind having him on the 49ers as a backup. If we had him at the beginning of training camp he may have beaten out Alex as the starter. Harbaugh was high on him when he came out of college apparently.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
-San Francisco 49ers: Five Time Super Bowl Champions-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borat View Post
Oh, my bad. Didn't realize SWDC was the pinnacle of class and grace.
Ness is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 02:41 PM    (permalink
Unbiased
Pro Bowler

Unbiased is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Unbiased is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Unbiased is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Unbiased is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Unbiased is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Unbiased is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Unbiased is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Unbiased is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Unbiased is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Unbiased is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Unbiased is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ness View Post
Dumb move by Jacksonville. This might the closest to tanking the season I've seen in recent memory. It really just doesn't make sense to release Garrard at this point in the season who has been sharing a lot of the first team reps with Gabbert and then start Luke McCown, who I think is probably a worse player anyways. Now you have a quarterback that hasn't practiced the much the entire summer which was already shortened by the lockout headed your offense week one. Even if you have a bad situation, never give up. I'm surprised Wayne Weaver "okayed" this decision. And for Del Rio trying to save his job, this is probably the stupidest thing you can do. If you aren't committed to the quarterback fine, but don't trade him with days away from the season opener. I'm sure that sends a great message to the locker room.
That locker room decided Garrard should no longer be a captain this year, so I'm not sure why you're saying that. They feel McCown is playing better than Garrard right now and whoever would have one the starting job only had a year. It's not like they're saying McCown is better than Garrard long term, they're saying McCown is better than Garrard for 2011. Gabbert will probably start in 2012.
Unbiased is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 02:42 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ness is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unbiased View Post
Except he was coming off a good year. They probably didn't expect him to fall flat on his face in the preseason. David's play is the reason for this.
Yeah, but is McCown really going to give the franchise a better chance to win games than Garrard. Really, that entire team is awful except for Jones-Drew and maybe Mercedes Lewis. I didn't see Garrard play in the preseason, but was it really all on his shoulders?

Quote:
Old 09-06-2011, 02:44 PM    (permalink
killxswitch
Mage Bros
All-Pro

killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.killxswitch is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.O.T.H. View Post
Alex Smith is the starter...but I agree that Kaepernick would probably get killed out there this season.
Dammit I meant Gabbert.

i done stole dis sig
killxswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 02:44 PM    (permalink
Unbiased
Pro Bowler

Unbiased is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Unbiased is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Unbiased is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Unbiased is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Unbiased is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Unbiased is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Unbiased is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Unbiased is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Unbiased is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Unbiased is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Unbiased is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Yeah, but is McCown really going to give the franchise a better chance to win games than Garrard. Really, that entire team is awful except for Jones-Drew and maybe Mercedes Lewis. I didn't see Garrard play in the preseason, but was it really all on his shoulders?
I don't understand why you're admitting you haven't watched yet you have such strong conviction that this is a stupid move.
Old 09-06-2011, 02:45 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Quote:
That locker room decided Garrard should no longer be a captain this year, so I'm not sure why you're saying that. They feel McCown is playing better than Garrard right now and whoever would have one the starting job only had a year. It's not like they're saying McCown is better than Garrard long term, they're saying McCown is better than Garrard for 2011. Gabbert will probably start in 2012.
McCown looking better than Garrard in the preseason doesn't really mean too much to me. It's not like McCown lit it up in the preseason across the NFL. At this point it would have better to have just kept him. And he really wasn't coming off a great season. They could have released him a long time ago. Maybe even before last season.

Quote:
Old 09-06-2011, 02:46 PM    (permalink
Unbiased
Pro Bowler

If anyone sees this move as tanking the season, you're simply wrong. McCown is a better QB right now than David Garrard. That's all there is to it.
Thecollegedropout
Pro Bowler

Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Thecollegedropout is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Any chance Wayne Weaver and Gene Smith try and make a ploy on Denver in regards to acquiring Tim Tebow for the cheap to generate a buzz or no shot?

I don't think so with Gabbert in town but you know that Tebow with the Jags would get some of the Tebow fans very giddy about the team.
Thecollegedropout is offline   Reply With Quote
Ness
Icon

Quote:
I don't understand why you're admitting you haven't watched yet you have such strong conviction that this is a stupid move.
I don't have to have watched much because the timing of it automatically makes it stupid.

Quote:
SolidGold
Pro Bowler

SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Jags defense improved this off season. I do not think they will be terrible. I just think they are going to run the hell out of the ball.
SolidGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 02:47 PM    (permalink
Unbiased
Pro Bowler

Quote:
McCown looking better than Garrard in the preseason doesn't really mean too much to me. It's not like McCown lit it up in the preseason across the NFL. At this point it would have better to have just kept him. And he really wasn't coming off a great season. They could have released him a long time ago. Maybe even before last season.
I didn't say he was coming off a great season.
Old 09-06-2011, 02:49 PM    (permalink
jrdrylie
All-NFLDC

jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DraftSavant View Post
Gene Smith said Roethlisberger was the top rated player for the Jags and should have been their pick in the 2004 draft, and they passed on him because they (meaning scapegoat Shack Harris) were committed to the development of Byron Leftwich.

Will Gene Smith make the same mistake twice? That's the interesting question. He'll spend the next five years trying to surround Gabbert with talent and wondering why it's blowing up in his face, not realizing he's no different than his predecessor (minus Smith's over-reliance on small school prospects).
You are ignoring two points here. First, Gene Smith said this years later. It was after Leftwich busted and Roethlisberger was a Super Bowl winner. Of course, with hindsight, Roethlisberger should have been the pick. But had Gene Smith been the GM back then, they would not have picked Roethlisberger. Second, Smith obviously likes Gabbert. He traded his first and second round pick to move up six spots to get him. If you give up valuable picks, you better like the guy a lot. And if you like a guy a lot, you don't give up on him after one year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidGold View Post
Bortlezzzzzzz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monomach View Post
Brilliant letting one of Scott Pioli's henchmen have his own team to ruin.  One of the premier GM jobs in the NFL and it gets handed to a stupid **** who makes three facepalm moves for every good one.  Awesome.  Just like handing a new Mercedes to a 16 year old girl who's already been in three wrecks. 
jrdrylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 02:49 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Quote:
I didn't say he was coming off a great season.
I know you didn't.

Quote:
Old 09-06-2011, 02:51 PM    (permalink
bucfan12
Pro Bowler

bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He wasn't coming off a great season or good for that matter. He was an average starter making the money of a franchise QB. Do I fault the Jags front office in not getting him WR help? Absolutely and that will hurt McCown and Gabbert as well. There WR situation is at the bottom of the league, worse than St. Louis. However, Garrard still didn't impress me. Erratic and inaccurate and only had that 1 good year when he took the Jags to the playoffs.
bucfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 02:55 PM    (permalink
niel89
SuperBowl Prop Bet Winner
All-Pro

niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

First off, I'd love the guy to come to Baltimore to be the back up for the year. It gives him time to find somewhere next offseason to identify his best opportunity moving forward.

Second, if they do suck bad enough to be picking #1 then I'd assume that there is a new coach in town also. New coaches often want to go out and get their guy at QB. Its silly to just toss Gabbert aside, but a new coach shouldn't feel bound to him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Don't be a stranger. Jordyzzzz would want you to stick around. ;o)

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy
niel89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 02:55 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
Dammit I meant Gabbert.
I agree with this one too. Personally, I dont want him to see the field. I just get that bust type vibe from the guy, if he's thrown out there real early. He's really rough, I'd like to see him sit.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
KO KNOWS
M.O.T.H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 02:57 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucfan12 View Post
He wasn't coming off a great season or good for that matter. He was an average starter making the money of a franchise QB. Do I fault the Jags front office in not getting him WR help? Absolutely and that will hurt McCown and Gabbert as well. There WR situation is at the bottom of the league, worse than St. Louis. However, Garrard still didn't impress me. Erratic and inaccurate and only had that 1 good year when he took the Jags to the playoffs.
True he's not the best starter around, but really that offensive line just degraded after 2007. Jacksonville could have done a better job trying to help David. Granted their defense (especially their pass rush) has been terrible for years and they've tried to address that a couple of times early in the draft and in free agency and it still hasn't worked out. That being said there were reports in the past of David just being lazy at times to learn the playbook and such a la Aaron Brooks. So while it's not all of David's fault for what has gone down in Jacksonville, he does take some of the blame. That being said, I'm sure he'll find another home quickly. Right now he's probably the best quarterback on the market.

Quote:
Old 09-06-2011, 03:00 PM    (permalink
RaiderNation
All-NFLDC

RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd think both Seattle and Miami should look into bringing him in. He is an upgrade over Jackson/Henne and with the talent surrounding Garrard they could atleast be competitive.

Welcome to the Silver & Mack
"Just Win Baby"
- Al Davis
@SirStackAlot707

RaiderNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 03:11 PM    (permalink
bucfan12
Pro Bowler

bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bucfan12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderNation View Post
I'd think both Seattle and Miami should look into bringing him in. He is an upgrade over Jackson/Henne and with the talent surrounding Garrard they could atleast be competitive.
I think it'll be Miami. Seattle has a 3rd round pick invested in Whitehurst, who will probably be the starter soon. Jackson wwas just given 4-5 million a year to be the starter.
bucfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 03:13 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucfan12 View Post
I think it'll be Miami. Seattle has a 3rd round pick invested in Whitehurst, who will probably be the starter soon. Jackson wwas just given 4-5 million a year to be the starter.
I agree. I think Miami would be a nice fit.

Quote:
Old 09-06-2011, 03:17 PM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler

Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

...Indianapolis? What would it cost the Colts to cut Collins?
Caulibflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 03:20 PM    (permalink
DraftSavant
Veteran

DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Remember, the Jags were second to last in the league in terms of passing attempts last year. They already have to manipulate the offense around their QB's shortcomings, so it's not like this changes a whole lot for them.
DraftSavant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 03:24 PM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend

M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The team is in a rough spot regardless, it's not going to be easy being successful when you start Mike Thomas and Jason Hill on the outside.

I actuallly do like both guys...but not as a starting tandem at all. Mike Thomas is all of a 5'8ish #1 receiver. Good luck with that.

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
KO KNOWS
M.O.T.H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 03:27 PM    (permalink
Ness
Icon

Can't believe Del Rio has served more time than Coughlin did as head coach.

Quote:
Old 09-06-2011, 03:27 PM    (permalink
Shane P. Hallam
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by niel89 View Post
First off, I'd love the guy to come to Baltimore to be the back up for the year. It gives him time to find somewhere next offseason to identify his best opportunity moving forward.
Ding ding ding! Would make sense to sign Garrard as a back-up in Baltimore.

This is just crappy timing. Why not release him earlier? I'm sure there is some reason, but it will be so hard for a team to bring him in and him to learn the system. Had he been released a month ago, he could compete for a starting spot somewhere IMO.

Follow Me on Twitter!
https://twitter.com/ShanePHallam
Shane P. Hallam is offline   Reply With Quote