Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Kansas City Chiefs Team Forum

Kansas City Chiefs Team Forum Discuss the Chiefs

Old 10-09-2011, 11:13 AM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't know how good that OU line is, but it seemed solid.. and the few times he got pressure he was able to move around and make some throws.

The OLine looked a LOT better when Bradford was back there.

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 01:38 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidae View Post
I don't know how good that OU line is, but it seemed solid.. and the few times he got pressure he was able to move around and make some throws.

The OLine looked a LOT better when Bradford was back there.
The OL in front of Bradford was insane!
Old 10-09-2011, 05:31 PM    (permalink
TonyGfortheTD
Veteran

TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm starting to warm up to the idea of the Chiefs drafting Landry.

The Chiefs need to become a deep vertical passing team, and he's certainly got the arm for it.
Old 10-09-2011, 05:38 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Landry Jones REALLY impressed me yesterday. I wouldn't hate that at all.

Old 10-09-2011, 08:17 PM    (permalink
bored of education
DC Creeper
Icon

bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

QB must be addressed, if for some reason the Chiefs are picking where one of the top 3 (4 just to make you happy vidae) QB are not available then they should grab BPA/trade back then draft Tannehill,Foles, Lindley and have him sit one year behind Cassel. That is worst case scenario.
<+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermstheman83 View Post
What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.
bored of education is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 08:21 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bored of education View Post
QB must be addressed, if for some reason the Chiefs are picking where one of the top 3 (4 just to make you happy vidae) QB are not available then they should grab BPA/trade back then draft Tannehill,Foles, Lindley and have him sit one year behind Cassel. That is worst case scenario.
I don't see the point in Tannehill, Foles, or Lindley. Better off sticking with Stanzi. I like those guys, but Stanzi has just as much (if not more) potential as those guys with an extra year of experience.
Old 10-09-2011, 09:05 PM    (permalink
bored of education
DC Creeper
Icon

bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepg View Post
I don't see the point in Tannehill, Foles, or Lindley. Better off sticking with Stanzi. I like those guys, but Stanzi has just as much (if not more) potential as those guys with an extra year of experience.
As I said worst case scenario.
Quote:
What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.
Old 10-10-2011, 12:21 AM    (permalink
TonyGfortheTD
Veteran

TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Gonna have to agree here.
Old 10-10-2011, 12:23 AM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

We're going to be bad enough and have a high enough pick to get one of the "top 4" guys anyway.

Old 10-10-2011, 04:41 PM    (permalink
bored of education
DC Creeper
Icon

Since the Chiefs are through five games of this season going in to the bye I feel it is time for me to actually post something of substance.

The following areas need to be upgraded in someway. I will address those areas and how they SHOULD be addressed.

The pass rush needs major upgrading. I do not think it is an issue via OLB opposite Hali since the scheme does not call for absolute rush opposite Hali. They are more used for situational edge rush but more edge setting and also covering TEs and dropping into zone. The pass rush needs to come from the DEs, and by pressure I do not mean Jared Allen type pass rush. They need to be able to contain blockers/puss them back in to the pocket causing QB pressures. Sacks are overrated, it about Qb pressures. QB pressures cause early, off balance wayward throws where the Chiefs skilled secondary can make plays. So n essence the defensive end position in the base defense must be upgraded. I like Bailey and Gilberry in the nickle situations, they do an above average job with QB pressures.

The offensive line needs upgrading mainly the right tackle position. I like the prospects of Asomoah and Hudson. Lilja is having an off year, but I don't foresee an immediate need of the interior just yet. You can always pick up mid to late round guys to develop. But the right tackle position needs upgrading and their are several ways to do that.

Stopping the run via NT and ILBs. I love DJ but a thumper up the middle is something where Belcher is just not an impact player. Sielr could be the answer but hard to tell but ILB needs to be addressed. I also feel the Powe may be the future but if you could get an elite guy via early round pick then go for it.

Quarterback is the main area that is preventing KC from being a year in year out contender. I am not here to **** on Cassel, he does a hell of a job with the skill set he has and also a great locker room guy. But for the Chiefs to make the next step you must have a top 5-8 Qb in the NFL even if you have a top 4-5 defense.

So in the end right now some positions that need upgrading include ILB, QB. DE, NT and RT. Those are main areas I would focus on baring injuries. I would like some depth every where else like TE/secondary/RB.

Some players that will take time to develop that you have to somewhat account for when it comes to drafint in rounds 4-7 and UDFA that may effect decisions by years end are Brandon Bair, Jerrell Powe, Jalil Brown, Allen Bailey, Cameron Sheffield, Justin Houston, Jon Baldwin, David Mims, Tony Moeaki (obviously), and Kendrick Lewis. You need a few of those guys to become productive everyday in some way even if it means on a rotational basis.

When it comes to the draft in 2013 there are many players that may address needs other than Qb since we have focused a lot on that.

I would like to continue this post with focusing on drafting a QB somehow in the first and addressing other positions. Those positions are tackle, DE, ILB and NT. NT does not seem like as much of a need as DE or T.

Below are lists of players to keep an eye out for after the first round for those positions: (some of these guys may not make or or be drafted hard to tell now)

Tackle many of these guy may be kicked inside
Kelechi Osemele, Iowa St
Nate Potter, Boise St
Matt Reynolds, BYU
Bobby Massie, Ole Miss
Levy Adcock, Okie State
Mike Adams, Ohio St
Tanner Hawkinson, Kansas
Andrew Datko, FSU
Zebrie Sanders, FSU
Ricky Wagner, Wisky

3-4 DE:
Billy Winn, Boise St
Kheeston Randall, Texas
Dajon Harris, USC
Kendall Reyes, UCONN
Derek Wolfe, Cincy
James Brooks, North Alabama
Baker Steinkuhle, Nebraska
Trevor Guyton, CAL

ILB:
Dont'a Hightower, Bama
Jerry Franklin, Arkansas

Would be nice to revisit what we perceive as needs another 5 weeks from now as they may change.

Thoughts gents? Who else would you be looking at? What are your perceived needs?
Quote:
Old 10-10-2011, 05:24 PM    (permalink
TonyGfortheTD
Veteran

This is going to be a tough year to address RT. Not overly impressed with the stock of OT's that would fit in well at RT. The FA market for them is looking like crap, too.

As for an impact thumper ILB, Burfict or bust IMO. QB needs to be the bigger priority, so they should opt to let Belcher keep developing.

The Chiefs absolutely must come out of this draft (or get a home run hitter in FA) with a RB. Charles will be fine, but they need to ease him back in. It's time to get a young workhorse.

Need to be looking at a lot of safety help, too. Better quality receiver/TE depth would also be nice.
Old 10-10-2011, 06:01 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

As far as RT goes, that's kind of up to Gaither. That position isn't holding them back from anything with Richardson there, though. Believe it or not, it's REALLY hard to replace Richardson. He's about a middle-of-the-pack NFL RT, but his physical tool set and athleticism afford him amazing potential.

That's why they didn't draft an OT in the first round of the last two drafts. It's really not a pressing need, just a position that could be upgraded with the right player (Gaither at this point).

Belcher's kind of in the same spot, but not quite as entrenched and hard to upgrade. Belcher does a "good enough" job, and he has improved in every area each year he's been in KC. But it's easy to find someone more athletic, bigger, and more talented than Belcher. If they could get Burfict next to DJ, this defense would be absolutely insane with Berry back and factoring the development of some of the other players.

I'm happy with the pass rush. They're not going to generate an amazing rush consistently with their base defense... They're not going to get a Richard Seymour or Aaron Smith...just not going to happen. Only a few defensive linemen have rolled through the draft process that are even close to that type of player (Suh, McCoy, Dareus, Ngata, Raji)... We kind of just have to live with that reality. I love Sheffield, Houston, and Studebaker though. That's a great group with Hali.

Battle had a great game, but I'm not ready to write-off RB as a need. Thomas Jones has regressed significantly from last year, McClain isn't coming back to play that role again, and McCluster just isn't big enough to do more than he does. So I'll say RB and FB (although they do have Bannan) are pretty big needs considering most other needs call for depth and these two will require real contributors from Day 1. Losing Charles shouldn't derail the Chiefs' offense. Bottom line.

TE is a horrible spot for the Chiefs. I do like Pope, and Moeaki is great when he's healthy, but Pope is the only TE worth a crap they have, so he can't get involved in the passing game, and Moeaki's health is unreliable to say the least.

Obviously, they need a few receivers behind the B's.

I'd like to see competition at CB and S.

How I'd rank the needs?

1. ILB - you have to get a first round ILB to have a chance to really upgrade over Belcher. Teo and Burfict would be amazing in this defense.
2. TE - cannot rely on Moeaki's health. Another good TE adds lots of options and looks to the offense.
3. RB - Charles should put the Chiefs into ridiculous territory as an offense. they're too committed to running the ball to not have another NFL starter quality RB on the roster.
4. DB depth - taking a couple DBs early should really help bring the defense to the next level.
5. OL depth - G/C and T/G are needed with Wiegmann likely retiring and backup G just being a massive hole in the roster anyway
6. WR depth - strange to see it so low considering how much I harped on it all year, but if we're talking needs relating solely to next year's draft, it kind of gets moved down a bit.

Maybe they'll be in a position to get Crick? That would be a situation where DL would be a nice option. I just don't see great opportunity to upgrade and they're pretty young and I like Bailey and Gilberry behind Dorsey and Jackson.

Last edited by nepg : 10-10-2011 at 06:04 PM.
nepg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 06:25 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

I'd rank the needs like this:

1. QB. We absolutely have to upgrade this in order to go anywhere. Not many of us (only nepg) disagree on this.

2. RT. Barry Richardson is ******* awful and hasn't improved. His pass blocking is suspect and it's almost guaranteed that he'll have a few holding penalties per game. It is not hard to move on from him at all. I'd take any OT from this draft and plug them in immediately at RT and it'd be an instant upgrade.

3. ILB. Belcher is good, not great. We need to upgrade that position next to DJ. Maybe Siler is the answer but I don't know. We need someone who can punish runners.

4. RB. Thomas Jones is done. We need someone who can play behind Jamaal and take some of the beating. And no, it is not Jackie Battle.

5. DB depth. We need some help behind those safeties and if we don't re-sign Carr we'll need help at CB too.

Old 10-10-2011, 06:32 PM    (permalink
bored of education
DC Creeper
Icon

You can never have enough DBs that is for sure. Pioli has a history of drafting TE's often especially rounds 4-7.
Quote:
Old 10-10-2011, 07:32 PM    (permalink
King Carls 5 Year Plan
Veteran

King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.King Carls 5 Year Plan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

#1 QB - duh

#2 RB - having only 1 capable RB in any system is not a good idea. having only 1 RB in our system is even worse because we like to share the carries and we run the ball ALOT. having only 1 RB in our system and losing him for the year in game 2... ******* sucks. we gotta get another capable back. a punishing runner that can run between the tackles and has speed to get the edge. another RB capable of running in a ZBS has to be a HIGH priority for the Chiefs going into 2012.

#3 OG & OC - getting help on the inside OLine is a must. Weigmann will soon retire and our only depth at all 3 interior positions will be starting at C. then what? we need quality depth everywhere and an eventual starter at LG. Lilja won't last forever and this year has already been a down season for him. gotta prepare for the worst.

#4 DE - i don't know how i let 34 DE get this low on my list. maybe they bump ahead to #3. our DLine play overall hasn't been up to par. TJax is playing better, but that's relative to his previous play (non-existent or ******, take your pick). Dorsey hasn't progressed any further and now i maybe on the "trade him to a 4-3 team" before the trade deadline and try to get as much value for him as possible. getting a 34 DE that can push the pocket and keep the LBs blocker free would be HUGE for this team.

#5 RT/ILB - only because we have an ok starter at each position makes it further down my list. i could see both being addressed earlier, but wouldn't be surprised to see neither addressed at all. Belcher and Richardson can be upgraded. it mostly depends on the value available at the pick. plus, i think better DLine play makes our LBs much better

#6 TE - i really want to see another good young player in the fold for the Chiefs. we use 2 TEs alot and if both were effective catchers and blockers, the offense would become much harder to defend and stop on 3rd downs.

this is crazy. i've listed 6 positions and haven't listed secondary depth, NT or FB and i think all of those should be addressed too. to many holes, not enough picks.
King Carls 5 Year Plan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 08:32 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

That they have acceptable starters at ilb and rt means you have to invest that much more to have a chance to upgrade those spots.
Old 10-10-2011, 08:43 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Richardson graded out at 73% at run blocking, worst on our line. He was 68% pass blocking which is easily the worst and it isn't close.

Two telling stats:

Barry Richardson had had a good start to the 2011 season as he produced respectable grades through the first three games. However, the past 2 games Barry has fallen back on hard times. The run game, with is usually his best area, ended up being lower than his average through the first 4 games (AFC West right tackle rankings, here). At one point in the 2nd half, Richardson missed 6 out of 6 run blocks.

At 1:23 in the 1st quarter Richardson goes to the 2nd level and blocks no one.

So no, he is not an acceptable starter. He is a needs to be replaced asap starter.

Old 10-10-2011, 09:48 PM    (permalink
bored of education
DC Creeper
Icon

Richardson is getting worse.
Quote:
Old 10-11-2011, 08:27 AM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Richardson had a decent season last year but is easliy the Chiefs worse player on the OL right now.
Old 10-12-2011, 11:33 AM    (permalink
TheMatriculator
Veteran

TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I've always believed in the old saying that "Offense sells tickets, but defense wins championships." If that's the case, we really to upgrade a defense that:

•Has allowed 150 points, an average of 30 points per game, the most points allowed in the league.
•Has only five sacks in five games, tied with Buffalo for the fewest sacks in the league and they stand at less than half of the league average, 10.8 sacks per team.
•Has only five takeaways, which ranks at the bottom of the league ahead of only Miami and Pittsburgh (2 each) and New Orleans (4). They have not recovered a fumble, one of four teams that have yet to recover a fumble.
•Is among the bottom 25 percent of the league in 3rd down defense, allowing a 43.5 conversion percentage (30 of 69).
•Has the second fewest "big defensive plays" – sacks, takeaways and defensive scoring – 10 out of the 322 plays they’ve faced. Only the Miami defense is worse, with just 8 big plays out of 258 in four games.
•Has have given up 12 touchdown passes, the highest total in the league, where the average is 7.4 scores through the air.

Yes, things will get better when Eric Berry returns but how much. Yes, QB probably has to be our top priority (if one of the top 4 is available). But lets say they aren't. I'd be looking for someone who can add some angry and nasty to this defense. Someone like...

Vontaze Burfict
TheMatriculator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 05:40 PM    (permalink
T-RICH49
All-NFLDC

T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.T-RICH49 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd look at S in the 2nd round on.the Berry injury has clearly shown the lack of depth.get a Mark Barron or someone like that to help the depth @ S
Old 10-12-2011, 05:57 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

Burfict is my #1 for the Chiefs. But I don't think you can really judge the Chiefs' defense at this point very accurately unless you cut out the first two games.
Old 10-12-2011, 09:14 PM    (permalink
TheMatriculator
Veteran

TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TheMatriculator is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Burfict is my #1 for the Chiefs. But I don't think you can really judge the Chiefs' defense at this point very accurately unless you cut out the first two games.
Too bad they don't give teams a mulligan in the NFL.
TheMatriculator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 09:46 AM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Quote:
You do not cut out games in this league. That is a stupid way of looking at this. They showed up and "played" and got blown out. The defense is ok, but it isn't good.

Old 10-14-2011, 12:45 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidae View Post
You do not cut out games in this league. That is a stupid way of looking at this. They showed up and "played" and got blown out. The defense is ok, but it isn't good.
It's not a stupid way to look at it at all... The offense let the defense down and the defense flat-out laid down in the second half of the first two games. Completely different team the last 3 - and far more indicative of what this team is and more along the lines of what they did last year (except they're more talented this year).

Last edited by nepg : 10-14-2011 at 12:50 PM.
nepg is online now   Reply With Quote