Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Kansas City Chiefs Team Forum

Kansas City Chiefs Team Forum Discuss the Chiefs

Old 10-27-2011, 12:06 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Rivers had no problems passing in that downpour, but Cassel gets a pass? Who am I kidding, he always gets a pass with you.

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 03:44 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidae View Post
Rivers had no problems passing in that downpour, but Cassel gets a pass? Who am I kidding, he always gets a pass with you.
Rivers certainly struggled, but he also had the ball longer when there was a lull in the weather and the Chargers were playing from behind for most of the game. Also, Cassel's receivers weren't helping him at all in that game with their drops. If you remember correctly, Dwayne Bowe was garbage for the first quarter of last season. It was a sloppy game overall, but Cassel protected the ball and the Chiefs made a few more plays than the Chargers.
Old 10-27-2011, 07:30 PM    (permalink
bored of education
DC Creeper
Icon

bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So the Chiefs have not given up a 300 yard passer in 17 games. The last QB to throw over 300 was in the Texans' Schaub in that huge comeback.That is all very nice and pretty. But in the last 17 games these are the amount of rushing yards given up in that time: 84(vs. Jax), 137(vs. Buff), 112(vs. Oak), 153(vs. Den), 101(vs. Ariz), 20 (vs. Sea), 161(vs. Den), 207(vs. SD), 69(vs. STL), 57(vs. Tenn), 209(vs. Oak), 163(vs. Buff), 89(vs. Det), 117(vs. SD), 151(vs. Min), 78(vs. Indy), 155(vs. Oak).

10-7 in those games, 101.3 ypg in the wins, 150.7 in the loses. The wins vs. Sea, Stl and Tenn were games where the team went down early and had to throw a lot.

What does those numbers tell you besides the obvious? Regardless of wins or loses the run defense needs to step up. But look beyond them and tell me what you see. I want to see if anyone is on the same page as me and what the Chiefs can do to improve via draft.

Thanks
<+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermstheman83 View Post
What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.
bored of education is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 07:37 PM    (permalink
KCStud
Rookie

KCStud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCStud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCStud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCStud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCStud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCStud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCStud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCStud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCStud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCStud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCStud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bored of education View Post
So the Chiefs have not given up a 300 yard passer in 17 games. The last QB to throw over 300 was in the Texans' Schaub in that huge comeback.That is all very nice and pretty. But in the last 17 games these are the amount of rushing yards given up in that time: 84(vs. Jax), 137(vs. Buff), 112(vs. Oak), 153(vs. Den), 101(vs. Ariz), 20 (vs. Sea), 161(vs. Den), 207(vs. SD), 69(vs. STL), 57(vs. Tenn), 209(vs. Oak), 163(vs. Buff), 89(vs. Det), 117(vs. SD), 151(vs. Min), 78(vs. Indy), 155(vs. Oak).

10-7 in those games, 101.3 ypg in the wins, 150.7 in the loses. The wins vs. Sea, Stl and Tenn were games where the team went down early and had to throw a lot.

What does those numbers tell you besides the obvious? Regardless of wins or loses the run defense needs to step up. But look beyond them and tell me what you see. I want to see if anyone is on the same page as me and what the Chiefs can do to improve via draft.

Thanks
I agree, but who would we replace?

JUST DRAFT A QB DAMNIT!!!
KCStud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 07:43 PM    (permalink
bored of education
DC Creeper
Icon

bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Just a hint, if you average 100 yards rushing per game given up that put you in the top 7 with average 105 keeps you in the top 10. The Chiefs run offense was the best in the NFL last year, and has been decent this year. Ball control allows you to control time and in lower scoring offensive games they **** the bed in the run game and give up a lot of points.
Quote:
What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.
Old 11-01-2011, 04:13 AM    (permalink
KCStud
Rookie

KCStud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCStud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCStud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCStud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCStud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCStud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCStud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCStud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCStud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCStud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCStud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

After watching the game, I now see Belcher's the weakness in the front seven. Don't get me wrong, I love the kid, but he's a decent starter that's a liability against the pass.

The guy I want us to draft is Luke Kuechly. He's got the size at 6'3" 240 lbs and he's a Pioli type player.
His football IQ is outstanding, he led nation in tackles and solo stops, 10.5 tackles for loss, can sack the QB and most importantly he is very impressive in coverage (5 INT's).

I know a lot of you want Burfict, but Kuechly is better IMO. He's smarter, he's miles better in coverage, he's a good smart player who seems a coach on the field at Boston College.

Old 11-01-2011, 04:31 AM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I really like Te'o too. It all depends on where we're picking. I do prefer Taze, but only because I think he brings a lot of intensity.

I like Belcher too, but I just don't think he's starter material anymore.

Old 11-01-2011, 06:19 AM    (permalink
KCStud
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidae View Post
I really like Te'o too. It all depends on where we're picking. I do prefer Taze, but only because I think he brings a lot of intensity.

I like Belcher too, but I just don't think he's starter material anymore.
I like Te'o, but this is the first year he's performed, so consistency is in question. Taze is not mentally prepared IMO and he is so slow. I don't trust him getting to the edge.

Old 11-03-2011, 01:08 PM    (permalink
bored of education
DC Creeper
Icon

Te'o's last few games he has looked really soft without being able to shed blocks like a 3-4 ILB should.
Quote:
Old 11-05-2011, 05:06 PM    (permalink
KCStud
Rookie

ILB is a big need, but Belcher is at least playing the position well.

Barry Richardson is a huge weak link on this team IMO. It just depends on who's there in the first round. Taze will probably be gone and if an OT like Mike Adams or Riley Reiff is there when we pick, we should take the OT because they are more talented football players than the LB's in that area.
Good thing for us the first 2 rounds will be filled with excellent OT's and ILB's.

Old 11-05-2011, 05:16 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Barry Richardson is the biggest weakness on this team, so I agree with you.

Old 11-05-2011, 08:13 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

There are only a few ILBs that I really like as upgrades over Belcher. Taze, Hightower, and maybe Te'o.

OT seems deeper, but there's also a lot of teams that are looking for OTs in this draft.

And RT is one of the last positions you'll see Pioli key on. Unless it's absolutely dreadful, the only position he'll touch RT before is probably RG. The Patriots didn't start investing premium resources in the OL until the rest of the team was already really good. They didn't invest super high picks in it until Pioli left and they drafted Vollmer and Solder.
Old 11-05-2011, 08:30 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepg View Post
There are only a few ILBs that I really like as upgrades over Belcher. Taze, Hightower, and maybe Te'o.

OT seems deeper, but there's also a lot of teams that are looking for OTs in this draft.

And RT is one of the last positions you'll see Pioli key on. Unless it's absolutely dreadful, the only position he'll touch RT before is probably RG. The Patriots didn't start investing premium resources in the OL until the rest of the team was already really good. They didn't invest super high picks in it until Pioli left and they drafted Vollmer and Solder.
Richardson is absolutely dreadful, so I guess we're taking a RT in the first this year!

Old 11-05-2011, 08:44 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

He's really not, though. He's inconsistent and can make some horrible mistakes, but he's also good for some great just as often as the bad moments and he's really solid when he's not great or garbage. You don't know what I've been through. You don't know about Brandon Gorin (or Nick Kaczur for the few years he was just garbage). The Pats won Super Bowls with way worse OLs than what the Chiefs have. We would have killed for Barry Richardson.

The RG situation was dreadful and they drafted Asamoah and brought in Lilja. If they had any issues with Richardson, they would have done a lot more to develop a replacement by now. They haven't even drafted an OT... Important to remember, for the front office's perpsective, that Richardson is only 25...

My guess is that they have zero intention of drafting a RT in this draft. I think they really like Steve Maneri. New England wanted to keep him, but couldn't. He's just on the light side right now, but should be able to get to a prototypical weight by the beginning of the 2012 off-season. If he can get up to 300-310, he's probably their man.

Last edited by nepg : 11-05-2011 at 08:51 PM.
nepg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 09:46 PM    (permalink
KCStud
Rookie

Quote:
He's really not, though. He's inconsistent and can make some horrible mistakes, but he's also good for some great just as often as the bad moments and he's really solid when he's not great or garbage. You don't know what I've been through. You don't know about Brandon Gorin (or Nick Kaczur for the few years he was just garbage). The Pats won Super Bowls with way worse OLs than what the Chiefs have. We would have killed for Barry Richardson.

The RG situation was dreadful and they drafted Asamoah and brought in Lilja. If they had any issues with Richardson, they would have done a lot more to develop a replacement by now. They haven't even drafted an OT... Important to remember, for the front office's perpsective, that Richardson is only 25...

My guess is that they have zero intention of drafting a RT in this draft. I think they really like Steve Maneri. New England wanted to keep him, but couldn't. He's just on the light side right now, but should be able to get to a prototypical weight by the beginning of the 2012 off-season. If he can get up to 300-310, he's probably their man.
NE didn't invest in the OL and look at what happened in their last big game? NYG's DL just owned them all day long. This is QB league now, and our QB can make plays when he has a little time. You're going to face the Ravens or Steelers in the playoffs at some point, and both those teams have excellent DL's.

Football has changed dramatically since Pioli was in NE. Defensive rule changes and QB rules. It changed his last year in NE when Brady got hurt by Pollard.

The secondary and WR's on offense are the strength of the team. I'm pretty sure any Chiefs fan knows that building the OL or front 7 with our first pick is what needs to happen.

Old 11-05-2011, 09:48 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

Ummm...when the Giants did that, the Pats had one of the best OLs in the NFL. That year Kaczur was decent and the whole OL had played amazingly all year.
Old 11-05-2011, 09:53 PM    (permalink
KCStud
Rookie

Quote:

Don't forget Luke Kuechly. 6'3" 240 lbs. He's had 140+ tackles in every season, he can rush the passer, he's really good in coverage and he's very intelligent. Class Pioli type player

Old 11-05-2011, 10:02 PM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

Not completely confident that Kuechly's a huge upgrade at that position. Love him, though. Just seems like a better fit in DJ's role. Wouldn't dislike the pick at all, though.
Old 11-05-2011, 11:38 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

You should look at the O-Line breakdowns that Arrowhead Pride posts. He is awful. He is not good at anything and he sure as hell has never been great. He is terrible and he needs to be replaced.

I honestly believe that he'd be on the bench if Ryan O'Callaghan wasn't injured. He's SO BAD that O'Callaghan is an upgrade.

From the Chargers game:

Richardson graded out at 66% for run blocking. The next closest was Albert and Lilja at 88%.

Quote:
# Barry Richardson has a pretty bad day all around. I'm not sure what is wrong...but he isn't even looking good at the things he normally does well (run block). He ends the Chargers game with a 66% run blocking grade. That is not very good, and is the makings of being replaced (or looking for a replacement) if he can't turn at least one phase of his game around. His problems in this game were is ability to stay engaged on the defender. Continually, the defender would get off his block and many times make the play.
# Richardson misses 3 of his first 4 run blocks. Many of my notes include missed blocks about Richardson...so I'm just going to state that as fact, and not include any more negatives about Barry.
# At 9:19 in the 1st quarter, Barry has a false start.
He also had 82% in pass blocking, which is not the worst of the night, but it's pretty bad.

Last edited by vidae : 11-05-2011 at 11:41 PM.
Old 11-06-2011, 12:05 AM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

O'Callaghan was very solid... Richardson was good enough to keep the job over O'Callaghan. Says something about what they think of Richardson. Barry makes some really dumb plays sometimes (e.g. the play where Cassel "fumbled" last week - complete WTF? moment), but he also shows frequently that it's not anything to do with talent, physical, or athletic ability. When he's focused, he's really good.

People overreact when it comes to Richardson. He was damn good most of last year. He got his number called on a few penalties, then there was some scene on the sideline and all of a sudden people won't stop talking negatively about the guy.

I'm not holding out hope that something clicks inside his head and he becomes the great RT that he's capable of becoming, but I also don't think they need to replace him to contend for the Super Bowl. RT just isn't that important in the grand scheme of things, especially when you've got a young guy that the coaching staff seems to really believe in.

If they change their mind, I still don't see them drafting a RT. They have Gaither and Maneri. There's a lot of potential for this team to improve significantly in this off-season if they abstain from making a move at RT.

And I really can't look at Arrowhead Pride without getting a severe headache. I don't speak Derpish, and 99% of that site is just complete crap. Offensive line stats are impossible and you can make up whatever you want to make it look however you want. Especially without knowing the playbook or actual assignments or what each individual player is taught to do by each individual coach on each individual play in each individual situation. I can watch the games and see when Richardson looks good, and when he doesn't, but the only people who know if he's playing well or poorly is the coaching staff. They keep sending him out there and have shown a lot of confidence in him, so I really doubt things are nearly as bad as what you think they are on the right side of the line.
Old 11-06-2011, 04:39 AM    (permalink
KCStud
Rookie

Quote:
O'Callaghan was very solid... Richardson was good enough to keep the job over O'Callaghan. Says something about what they think of Richardson. Barry makes some really dumb plays sometimes (e.g. the play where Cassel "fumbled" last week - complete WTF? moment), but he also shows frequently that it's not anything to do with talent, physical, or athletic ability. When he's focused, he's really good.

People overreact when it comes to Richardson. He was damn good most of last year. He got his number called on a few penalties, then there was some scene on the sideline and all of a sudden people won't stop talking negatively about the guy.

I'm not holding out hope that something clicks inside his head and he becomes the great RT that he's capable of becoming, but I also don't think they need to replace him to contend for the Super Bowl. RT just isn't that important in the grand scheme of things, especially when you've got a young guy that the coaching staff seems to really believe in.

If they change their mind, I still don't see them drafting a RT. They have Gaither and Maneri. There's a lot of potential for this team to improve significantly in this off-season if they abstain from making a move at RT.

And I really can't look at Arrowhead Pride without getting a severe headache. I don't speak Derpish, and 99% of that site is just complete crap. Offensive line stats are impossible and you can make up whatever you want to make it look however you want. Especially without knowing the playbook or actual assignments or what each individual player is taught to do by each individual coach on each individual play in each individual situation. I can watch the games and see when Richardson looks good, and when he doesn't, but the only people who know if he's playing well or poorly is the coaching staff. They keep sending him out there and have shown a lot of confidence in him, so I really doubt things are nearly as bad as what you think they are on the right side of the line.
Richardson was not very good last year. He was constantly replaced by O'Callaghan and he even threw a temper tantrum.
I doubt Pioli drafts a RT in the first round due to him feeling that OL can be had later in the draft.
I wouldn't be surprised if it is a defensive player.

Old 11-06-2011, 06:56 AM    (permalink
bored of education
DC Creeper
Icon

Barry Richardson would be upgraded with me in there. He has played awful this year. He has regressed. OT might be the number 1 need right now.
Quote:
Old 11-06-2011, 08:36 AM    (permalink
TonyGfortheTD
Veteran

TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TonyGfortheTD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He's pretty much the same as a pass-blocker (see: not very good) and has been regressing as a run-blocker. The line in general has been regressing, so I think a lot of the finger pointing should go to our Offensive Coordinator that has no shoulders and sleeps during games in the booth, but Brich still sucks.
Old 11-06-2011, 08:33 PM    (permalink
villagewarrior
Pro Bowler

villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.villagewarrior is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Chiefs must invest more premium selections in the trenches. They have the skill position players on both sides of the ball (even with Cassel at QB) to win a lot of football games if they just played better on the line. And they have to do better than drafting Tyson Jackson. I think there is a plethora of 34 DEs available in this years draft and it would be an absolute sham if they don't pick up at least one.
villagewarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 12:16 AM    (permalink
nepg
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagewarrior View Post
The Chiefs must invest more premium selections in the trenches. They have the skill position players on both sides of the ball (even with Cassel at QB) to win a lot of football games if they just played better on the line. And they have to do better than drafting Tyson Jackson. I think there is a plethora of 34 DEs available in this years draft and it would be an absolute sham if they don't pick up at least one.
The guys they draft have to make the roster, though. The Chiefs are 7-deep along the DL (granted, you want to be 8-9 deep) and all of those guys have roles. Bailey's been really good and Gilberry is excellent in his role. A rookie 34 DE just isn't going to overtake Jackson or Dorsey... Simply not going to happen. As much as we might feel they need to be upgraded, it's not that simple because they're a lot better than any rookie that could come in from this draft class. The Chiefs might be able to find a developmental guy, but they won't find someone that can start over Dorsey or fill the passing downs role better than Bailey & Gilberry.

Pioli's philosophy for the first couple rounds is the guys he drafts have to be upgrades to the position(s) he's drafting them for straight out of the gate (or in McCluster's case, create a new position within the offense/defense). Basically, you have to be a major contributor right away.