Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Green Bay Packers Team Forum

Green Bay Packers Team Forum Discuss the Cheeseheads

Old 04-16-2012, 05:30 PM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like him a lot on tape. Its not his play that bothers me though.

RIP themaninblack
SuperPacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 05:32 PM    (permalink
Sportsfan486
Pro Bowler

Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzifelt1ikeit View Post
isnt clay 260? or are you referring to when he came out?
Clay was 242 at the combine and pro day, I believe. He's probably ten pounds heavier now.

Also, the more I look at Bruce Irvin's numbers the more I'm impressed. And his tape is pretty nice and shows more than just a speed rush. I worry about his functional strength, though.. that's the thing that made Miller an elite prospect; he had crazy speed and quickness but also elite functional strength for the position, despite his size.

When being a fanboi goes too far.
Sportsfan486 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:44 PM    (permalink
cuzifelt1ikeit
Veteran

cuzifelt1ikeit could make a wolverine purr.cuzifelt1ikeit could make a wolverine purr.cuzifelt1ikeit could make a wolverine purr.cuzifelt1ikeit could make a wolverine purr.cuzifelt1ikeit could make a wolverine purr.cuzifelt1ikeit could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperPacker View Post
I like him a lot on tape. Its not his play that bothers me though.
what does?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigNall4MVP
biigest mistake packers ever make was geting rid of craig nall he beter then bret faver
cuzifelt1ikeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 11:27 AM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzifelt1ikeit View Post
what does?
His character and behavioural problems.

RIP themaninblack
Old 04-17-2012, 11:39 AM    (permalink
bigboiajhawk
Veteran

bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I still think, unless the Packers draft Nick Perry, they should only select an OLB in the 2nd round. I mean if Brooks Reed wasn't a 1st round pick last year, I am not sure any of the OLB prospects the Packers are targeting are as well. I know you can make the argument about it doesnt matter if TT likes a guy, but just from an armchair GM that uses the internet to base his opinions, I just dont see any of the guys that the Packers will consider to be 1st round material.

I really like the idea of drafting Irvin in the 2nd. I mean he has freakish athleticism that can pay off, at the very least, on 3rd down. In a league where QB's are more athletic than ever before, getting a speedy guy might not be such a bad thing.

If we end up taking a speed rusher, the need for a strong DE to push the pocket becomes even greater.

I have been reading, pure speculation, that the Packers have the ammo to move up in the 1st (Which they do). I guess the question would be, who do they target? I would think it would be Brockers, Kirkpatrick, Gilmore, or Upshaw.
bigboiajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 12:01 PM    (permalink
jackalope
Pro Bowler

jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboiajhawk View Post
I still think, unless the Packers draft Nick Perry, they should only select an OLB in the 2nd round. I mean if Brooks Reed wasn't a 1st round pick last year, I am not sure any of the OLB prospects the Packers are targeting are as well. I know you can make the argument about it doesnt matter if TT likes a guy, but just from an armchair GM that uses the internet to base his opinions, I just dont see any of the guys that the Packers will consider to be 1st round material.

I really like the idea of drafting Irvin in the 2nd. I mean he has freakish athleticism that can pay off, at the very least, on 3rd down. In a league where QB's are more athletic than ever before, getting a speedy guy might not be such a bad thing.

If we end up taking a speed rusher, the need for a strong DE to push the pocket becomes even greater.

I have been reading, pure speculation, that the Packers have the ammo to move up in the 1st (Which they do). I guess the question would be, who do they target? I would think it would be Brockers, Kirkpatrick, Gilmore, or Upshaw.
In retrospect though, Brooks Reed played well enough his rookie season to have been deserving of a firstround pick. I consider McClellin to be a better prospect than Reed was last year as well, and I liked Reed. Reed would have been my choice behind Sherrod in the first round.

Sig thanks to mockalicious
jackalope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 12:12 PM    (permalink
Sportsfan486
Pro Bowler

Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackalope View Post
In retrospect though, Brooks Reed played well enough his rookie season to have been deserving of a firstround pick. I consider McClellin to be a better prospect than Reed was last year as well, and I liked Reed. Reed would have been my choice behind Sherrod in the first round.
Agreed. McClellin grades out slightly higher for me than Reeds. He looks better at linebacker than Reeds did (although Reeds looked fine) and he is more accomplished. Reeds was stronger, though. I wanted Reeds badly last year and I regretted when we passed over him (although I liked the Sherrod pick)

I probably have Vinny Curry and McClellin 1 and 2 on my wishlist right now. Jerel Worthy is definitely up there as well. That is, unless Ingram drops a bit and we trade up (won't happen.)

When being a fanboi goes too far.
Sportsfan486 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 05:31 PM    (permalink
jackalope
Pro Bowler

jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

How bad are the injury concerns for Jared Crick? I love what I've seen on film and think he would be a steal in round two based solely on that, but can anyone fill me in on how serious his medical history is?

Old 04-18-2012, 07:00 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackalope View Post
How bad are the injury concerns for Jared Crick? I love what I've seen on film and think he would be a steal in round two based solely on that, but can anyone fill me in on how serious his medical history is?
I don't think the medical issues are a huge question mark (sprained MCL last spring and a torn pectoral this past season)...he had a slow start to the season and didn't provide solid tape prior to going down for the season and I think that's why we see him being projected in the 2nd/3rd round

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 07:50 PM    (permalink
jackalope
Pro Bowler

Considering the way the talent stacks up in the first few rounds of the draft, I think we'd be best served to wait until the second round to take a defensive linemen, and go for either an OLB or Konz in the first. Thompson, Crick, and Wolfe can all be impact players, and I expect at least one of them would be remaining at #59.

Old 04-19-2012, 08:15 AM    (permalink
TimmG6376
Veteran

TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah. Isn't that what the 3-4 is really all about anyway. You invest in LBs early then draft college DTs to convert to DE in later rounds. Unless of course a Seymour or Ngata falls in your lap, but those guys are rare and go in the top half of the 1st round. Players with their qualities are also attractive to 4-3 teams as 3-techs so the likelihood of them being around late first is low. The "tweener" college DE on the other hand is less valuable to the 4-3 teams thus you can get better value late in the first.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:57 AM    (permalink
bigboiajhawk
Veteran

bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I still think we should trade down to the 2nd round and then trade other picks and get another 2nd rounder for 3 total second rounders. Then we draft:

2a) Kevin Zeitler - Backup center and guard in year one, starting center in year 2. This would be around pick 8 -10 of the 2nd round.

2b) Andre Branch - Most likely we will miss out on McClellin, but Branch is a solid pickup as he has the arm length and speed/size ratio. (Trade up to around pick 15 - 20 of round 2)

2c) Lamar Miller/LaMichael James/Chris Polk/Jared Crick/Mike Martin/Derek Wolfe - I see us taking a DE here but I figured I would throw in the RB's that could possibly still be there at our official 2nd round pick
Old 04-20-2012, 10:32 AM    (permalink
ImBrotherCain
SWDC Mafia
All-NFLDC

ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Man I just realized that I need to start posting in the Packers thread more often. I pretty much only live in the Off Topic section of late.

Anyway, can't wait for the draft. I have the same hopes and expectations of a OLB and DE somewhere in the first 3 rounds. As others have said I like Curry and Crick just as much as you guys but I also wouldn't mind taking a flyer on Irvin!
Old 04-20-2012, 10:45 AM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImBrotherCain View Post
Man I just realized that I need to start posting in the Packers thread more often. I pretty much only live in the Off Topic section of late.

Anyway, can't wait for the draft. I have the same hopes and expectations of a OLB and DE somewhere in the first 3 rounds. As others have said I like Curry and Crick just as much as you guys but I also wouldn't mind taking a flyer on Irvin!
I was wondering why you werent posting in here!

Im not so high on Curry, he doesnt look explosive at all. He's probably the exact opposite of Clay Matthews.

My dream Packers draft is in my sig.

RIP themaninblack
Old 04-20-2012, 10:51 AM    (permalink
ImBrotherCain
SWDC Mafia
All-NFLDC

ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We don't necessarily need explosive. We need a good pass rusher that has a nonstop motor and is going to get pressure opposite of Clay. We already have one of the most explosive OLB in the game and while a Clay clone would be amazing, its not necessary
Old 04-20-2012, 10:53 AM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImBrotherCain View Post
We don't necessarily need explosive. We need a good pass rusher that has a nonstop motor and is going to get pressure opposite of Clay. We already have one of the most explosive OLB in the game and while a Clay clone would be amazing, its not necessary
True, but im still not a fan of Curry. I'd definitely rather have McCellin and most of the other 1-2 round pass rush prospects.

RIP themaninblack
Old 04-21-2012, 10:32 AM    (permalink
jackalope
Pro Bowler

Scouts' quotes on Konz, who would be my top target with the 28th pick.

Quote:
Fourth-year junior from Neenah. "Hell of a football player," one scout said. "He may be the smartest guy in this whole draft. Oh, my God, he's a genius on the board. Genius. We put him on the board and he blew it away. Great kid." Started 31 games, missing games each year because of injury. His medical history is a concern to a few teams. "People made fun of Matt Birk all the way to the (sixth) round because he didn't look very strong and he was 6-5 and from Harvard," Dominik said. "He has played, what, 13 years? He's a 6-5 guy, but I wouldn't be too hard on this kid. He's inside at center. That's one thing you can hide a little bit in there." Arms were 33, bench press was 23 and Wonderlic was 28. "The Pouncey boys went (first round) the last two years and they were way more aggressive than this kid," another scout said. "This kid is very smart, but he is tall and he is not very strong at all. He might get away at center if you've got two big guards to help him."
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packe...148210085.html

Old 04-21-2012, 10:41 AM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

Im taking part in the Forum Mock on here and as the Packers GM i have made these picks. What do you guys think? I still have two comp picks left.

#28 - Peter Konz, C, Wisconsin
#39 - Shea McClellin, OLB, Boise State
#59 - Trumaine Johnson, CB, Montana
#108 - DaJohn Harris, DT, USC
#132 (Comp) - Trenton Robinson, FS, Michigan
#133 (Comp) - Michael Egnew, TE, Missouri
#163 - Chris Rainey, RB, Florida
#172 - Rishard Matthews, WR, Nevada

RIP themaninblack
Old 04-21-2012, 10:47 AM    (permalink
jojo
Rookie

jojo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jojo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jojo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jojo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jojo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jojo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jojo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jojo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jojo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jojo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jojo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Im taking part in the Forum Mock on here and as the Packers GM i have made these picks. What do you guys think? I still have two comp picks left.

#28 - Peter Konz, C, Wisconsin
#39 - Shea McClellin, OLB, Boise State
#59 - Trumaine Johnson, CB, Montana
#108 - DaJohn Harris, DT, USC

#132 (Comp) - Trenton Robinson, FS, Michigan
#133 (Comp) - Michael Egnew, TE, Missouri
#163 - Chris Rainey, RB, Florida
#172 - Rishard Matthews, WR, Nevada
liking the picks in bold, don't know much about the others..... is Konz considered a lock to GB at this point primarily b/c he's an in-state player in a position of need?
jojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 11:12 AM    (permalink
jackalope
Pro Bowler

Konz and McClellin would be incredible, but how did you get pick #39?

And I wouldn't call Konz to Green Bay a lock, but I think it makes a lot of sense. Certainly wouldn't surprise me to see us ultimately take McClellin or somebody else over Konz, though.

Old 04-21-2012, 11:17 AM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

I traded Finley which i know all of you wont like, but i just dont like him.

I'd rather have McCellin than Finley.

Michael Egnew in the 4th is a great replacement for him.

RIP themaninblack
Old 04-21-2012, 12:49 PM    (permalink
TimmG6376
Veteran

TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I traded Finley which i know all of you wont like, but i just dont like him.

I'd rather have McCellin than Finley.

Michael Egnew in the 4th is a great replacement for him.
I guess it depends on the purpose of the mock. If it is just for fun to throw whatever you want out there fine. It isn't so much whether I like Finely or not. If in the mock you are aiming for a realistic outcome, it is just highly unlikely that Finely is going to be traded.
Old 04-21-2012, 12:53 PM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

No not realistic, for fun mainly. I shouldnt of been allowed to trade Finley because he just resigned but BeerBaron let me.

I like the picks and the value that came with them though.

RIP themaninblack
Old 04-23-2012, 04:02 PM    (permalink
bigboiajhawk
Veteran

If you had the choice: 1) to trade up to the Browns pick and select Courtney Upshaw, or 2) remain at 28 and select either McClellin, Perry, or BPA, which would you choose?

My choice would be to trade up for Upshaw, productive player in the SEC who complements Clay Matthews nicely...one speed guy and one pure power guy.

To trade up with the Browns, we would most likely need to trade our 3rd.
Old 04-23-2012, 04:02 PM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboiajhawk View Post
If you had the choice: 1) to trade up to the Browns pick and select Courtney Upshaw, or 2) remain at 28 and select either McClellin, Perry, or BPA, which would you choose?

My choice would be to trade up for Upshaw, productive player in the SEC who complements Clay Matthews nicely...one speed guy and one pure power guy.

To trade up with the Browns, we would most likely need to trade our 3rd.
Well i like Shea more, so i'd say 'stay for Shea'.

RIP themaninblack