Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Green Bay Packers Team Forum

Green Bay Packers Team Forum Discuss the Cheeseheads

Old 01-27-2012, 07:59 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboiajhawk View Post
Derek Wolfe - 6'5" 286

Justin Smith - 6'4" 285 - 26 reps at 225, 34 inch vertical, supposedly he power cleaned 500lbs which is a school record (a more telling statistic than bench press). In his Junior year (he entered the draft after his Junior season) he had 24 TFLs and 11 sacks.
So similar size, and similar production.
I wish we had Smith, but if Wolfe is even anything close to Justin, being 10+ years younger, we need to bring the guy on board.
JJ Watt is taller than both isn't he?
J-Mike88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 03:06 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.J-Mike88 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://www.nfl.com/seniorbowl/story....hers-in-mobile

SENIOR BOWL OLB PROSPECTS

1. Melvin Ingram, South Carolina (6-1 7/8, 276 pounds)

Ingram couldn't be blocked in the Tuesday practice, as he showcased a complete arsenal of pass rush moves. He reminds me a lot of Pittsburgh Steelers star LaMarr Woodley, and is stout against the run. I see him as more of a 3-4 outside linebacker than a 4-3 defensive end.

2. Courtney Upshaw, Alabama (6-1 1/2, 273)

Upshaw is another ideal 3-4 OLB in the mold of Woodley, but he can come out of a three-point stance with explosiveness as an open-side end if a 4-3 team is interested. Upshaw does not have as much quick-twitch ability as Ingram, but he makes up for it in pure strength and football speed.

3. Shea McClellin, Boise State (6-3 1/4, 248)

McClellin was with the defensive ends in the 4-3 scheme on Monday. By Tuesday, he was working with the linebackers. McClellin was a tight end in high school and has plenty of skill to drop in coverage. When he rushes the passer from a two-point stance, like a 3-4 outside linebacker, he has a solid arsenal of moves to get to the quarterback. He reminds me of the Houston Texans' Connor Barwin when he was at the 2009 Senior Bowl. I heard one head coach say McClellin reminds him of Mike Vrabel, which is pretty high praise in my book.

More guys in that article.... I really want one of those top 2 guys.
Old 01-29-2012, 04:23 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

From the game, from Tony:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...p&sct=hp_wr_a2

Quote:
Risers

Alameda Ta'amu/DT/Washington:
6-2 1/2, 337

If scouts were hoping to be wowed by Ta'amu, all they need to due is watch the Senior Bowl game film. The big defensive tackle was dominant every time he lined up and was a constant nuisance for opponents. He collapsed the pocket on several occasions, overpowering opponents to make plays behind the line of scrimmage or force the action. His quarterback pressure at the end of the first half ended what looked to be a potential scoring drive for the South. In the second half the South was forced to double team Ta'amu in the attempt to slow him down.

Quinton Coples/DL/North Carolina:
6-6, 281

Coples flashed brilliance during the game, looking like a man among boys at times. His athleticism is incredible, as Coples beat opponents with quickness, speed and power. On several occasions he had Kelechi Osemele flailing in an attempt to slow him down. When he could not get to the quarterback, Coples got his long arms up to swat away passes. When he's on his game Coples is a difference-maker up front. The problem for scouts is determining how often Coples is willing to play at his highest level.

Vinny Curry/DE/Marshall:
6-3, 265

Curry continues to impress scouts with his ability to get penetration across the line of scrimmage. He was constantly in the backfield and his quarterback pressures in the first quarter caused a lot of problems for the South. On one occasion Curry bull rushed the much larger Zebrie Sanders into the pocket which resulted in a loss of yardage. Curry has significantly improved his draft stock this week and a good combine workout could secure him a spot in the late part of Round 1.

Nigel Bradham/OLB/Florida State:

Bradham was fast and athletic all game long, running down opponents from all directions of the field. He was terrific in pursuit and Bradham made several outstanding plays in open space. Bradham showed skill in pass defense and was on top of his game covering tight ends and running backs. (wow, a LB who can cover RBs and TEs might be nice....
Coples will be long-gone by our pick though, of course.
Quote:
According to Sporting News' Russ Lande, North Carolina DE Quinton Coples made a "statement" at the Senior Bowl that he's the best pass rusher in the 2012 draft.
Per Lande, Coples displayed an "uncommon" blend of explosiveness, agility, and quickness for a 6-foot-6, 281-pound football player. He has the ability to affect quarterbacks both as an edge and interior rusher. Coples was criticized as a senior for taking plays off, but his "motor" drew raves in Mobile. We fully expect Coples to be a top-ten overall pick in April. Jan. 29 - 3:49 pm et
Source: Sporting News
Old 01-29-2012, 04:27 PM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Vinny Curry could of played his way into our lap. I would love to get him at #28!

RIP themaninblack
SuperPacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 04:49 PM    (permalink
BloodBrother
All-Pro

BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BloodBrother is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Agreed(10 char.)
BloodBrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 03:39 PM    (permalink
RyanBraun8
Rookie

RyanBraun8 is so money.RyanBraun8 is so money.RyanBraun8 is so money.RyanBraun8 is so money.RyanBraun8 is so money.RyanBraun8 is so money.RyanBraun8 is so money.RyanBraun8 is so money.RyanBraun8 is so money.RyanBraun8 is so money.RyanBraun8 is so money.

I really like Vinny Curry. Guy has a motor that never stops working, has the body to play the position, and has zero character concerns.

My favorite is Ingram because in my eyes he is the most boom or bust prospect out there at OLB. Most important thing about him is he just makes plays. Having guys who are always in the right place at the right time to make game changing plays are always nice.

I just hope TT is aggressive. We don't need quanity anymore, we don't need to trade down, trade down, trade down to collect picks.....we need quality! If that means finding away to move up in first or keep first and move up in 2nd ... do it! No impact player at OLB and DE will kill us again this year.

Upshaw will prob be gone but is another great option.

Really we need:

Major Priority:
OLB
DE
FS/SS (Depending on Collins and if he does retire, if they keep Burnett at FS or SS) Also need real depth there over just Peprah
OLB
DE
OLB
DE

2nd tier needs
QB Harrell is there but we need at least one more

CB Sheilds stepped back, Wood is getting older and could be moved to SS, House, Lee showed nothing, Bush is FA.

If we go all defense (except one QB) with multiple DE's and OLB's, i'll give TT a standing O
RyanBraun8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 03:49 PM    (permalink
RyanBraun8
Rookie

RyanBraun8 is so money.RyanBraun8 is so money.RyanBraun8 is so money.RyanBraun8 is so money.RyanBraun8 is so money.RyanBraun8 is so money.RyanBraun8 is so money.RyanBraun8 is so money.RyanBraun8 is so money.RyanBraun8 is so money.RyanBraun8 is so money.

Nigel Bradham could possible be a decent ILB or a younger Barnett type where he was a faster 4-3 OLB who moved inside and had issues of getting off blocks and over pursueing at first until he learn the position and got stronger

Call me crazy but if somehow Alameda Ta'amu dropped, I'd draft him in a heart beat. The guy is a flat out force and a little stronger than Raji. What is good about this is that it gets Raji back at end where I personally always liked him better. He moves really well for his size and will not have to take on 2-3 guys a play. I may be alone on this though.
Old 01-30-2012, 08:05 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanBraun8 View Post
Nigel Bradham could possible be a decent ILB or a younger Barnett type where he was a faster 4-3 OLB who moved inside and had issues of getting off blocks and over pursueing at first until he learn the position and got stronger

Call me crazy but if somehow Alameda Ta'amu dropped, I'd draft him in a heart beat. The guy is a flat out force and a little stronger than Raji. What is good about this is that it gets Raji back at end where I personally always liked him better. He moves really well for his size and will not have to take on 2-3 guys a play. I may be alone on this though.
Can you imagine him with Raji there?
Except for the problem saying his name, I'd love it too.

I watched one game of his last year, not knowing anyone or anything, and that guy was just a demolishin derby all by himself.

I wish we had 2 first round picks like the damn Patriots have. I already hate that team.
But I do thank them for both Greg Jennings & Clay Matthews.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:03 PM    (permalink
CheeseKnuckles
Rookie

CheeseKnuckles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CheeseKnuckles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CheeseKnuckles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CheeseKnuckles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CheeseKnuckles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CheeseKnuckles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CheeseKnuckles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CheeseKnuckles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CheeseKnuckles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CheeseKnuckles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CheeseKnuckles is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Raji doesn't fit at end...
CheeseKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:22 PM    (permalink
RyanBraun8
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheeseKnuckles View Post
Raji doesn't fit at end...

Why? Cause he played well there before being slide over? or because Howard Green and Ryan Pickett are far superior athletes?

Raji fits good at end (plus was a DE in the scheme before) for what Packers do on run downs, he still drops to a 2 or 3 Tech in the Nickle/Dime, and will actually be able to see a one on ones. He is not a great NT, good but not great. He isn't an over powering guy. He is strong but relies more on his athletic ability (for size) quickness, and techinque to make plays. How could that not fit at end?
Old 01-31-2012, 03:00 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
What good does another space eater do for our defense? Ta'amu flashes brilliance at times as a potential 2-gap guy, but he's also had his moments (got completely dominated by David DeCastro and was a non-factor in the Baylor dominance during bowl season) where he is just a big guy who's athletic and not much of a football player

options i like for us

DE :: Derek Wolfe, Kendall Reyes, Billy Winn
OLB :: Vinny Curry, Shea McClellin, Miles Burris (more of a late round guy)

if we're able to add one of those guys from each position i think it'll help tremendously in getting after the passer and helping our defense

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 03:39 PM    (permalink
TimmG6376
Veteran

TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Why? Cause he played well there before being slide over? or because Howard Green and Ryan Pickett are far superior athletes?

Raji fits good at end (plus was a DE in the scheme before) for what Packers do on run downs, he still drops to a 2 or 3 Tech in the Nickle/Dime, and will actually be able to see a one on ones. He is not a great NT, good but not great. He isn't an over powering guy. He is strong but relies more on his athletic ability (for size) quickness, and techinque to make plays. How could that not fit at end?
I read an article during the season that actually said they did use Raji more at DE this season and Pickett at NT. The goal was to get Pickett closer to the ball as he doesn't have the athleticism to really threaten from the DE position and to give Raji more freedom as a pass rusher.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packe...136354323.html

Quote:
This season, in the base 3-4 alignment, Pickett has been the nose tackle. With Pickett out, B.J. Raji was forced to move from his 3-technique (the outside shoulder of the guard) to a 1-technique (off the center's shoulder). The entire line was affected.
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/127402253.html

Quote:
In the new setup, the 340-pound Pickett would be back at nose tackle, where he started from 2006-'09 and probably is most effective, and Raji would have more freedom as a one-gap player in the spot previously occupied by Jenkins.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:12 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

Well whatever Capers DID do this year, DID NOT work.

Prince, why you mention Vinny Curry but not Ingram?
I'd be happy with either guy. McLellin seems like a Teddy guy.
But so did the kid from AZ last year too and so did Connor Barwin.
We got Zombo though.

Would love Winn and Wolfe.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:30 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mike88 View Post

We got Zombo though.

There's just something about Ingram that doesn't intrigue...I also fear that he's the beneficiary of playing on a line with Clowney and Taylor, allowing him to be free along the defense

Old 02-01-2012, 10:08 AM    (permalink
TimmG6376
Veteran

TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimmG6376 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

We got Zombo though.

Agreed. I remember reading about the changes they were making for this season and wondering why they would mess with top 5 defense.

McLellin has got be attracting attention with his versatility. Is he a first round pick though? I'm not getting that vibe and if not will he last to the end of the 2nd?
Old 02-01-2012, 02:53 PM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

How pissed would everyone be if we didnt go OLB or DE with our first pick? I would be mad if we got someone like Lamar Miller or Dwayne Allen in the first round.

RIP themaninblack
Old 02-01-2012, 03:23 PM    (permalink
TimmG6376
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperPacker View Post
How pissed would everyone be if we didnt go OLB or DE with our first pick? I would be mad if we got someone like Lamar Miller or Dwayne Allen in the first round.
Depends. If they pass on OLB and DE for RB, TE, or OL, yeah I'd be pretty pissed. A little less if it is S or CB as I think those are needs as well and depending on value wouldn't be horrible picks.

And the FA status of Wells could change everything. If TT can't re-sign him that leaves a gaping hole on the OL.
Old 02-01-2012, 03:32 PM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

We have to sign Wells! If we lost him our offensive line would be a mess.

RIP themaninblack
Old 02-02-2012, 04:55 PM    (permalink
bigboiajhawk
Veteran

bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigboiajhawk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This is the year that I would like to see TT trade down if no OLB prospects are there in the 1st round (Mercilus and Perry being the only guys I can see potentially falling to us). I personally don't consider Curry to be a 1st round talent. Therefore, we trade back into the early 40's (like 40-43) we pick up Curry there, then we package a couple of picks together with our 3rd rounder, and trade up for a middle 2nd round pick (48-52) and we pick up Markelle Martin from Ok. State, and then with our original 2nd round pick, we draft either Mike Martin or best available DE (I do not think Wolfe will be there). Thus, instead of having only 2 picks in the first 2 rounds, we have 3, and all 3 will be able to make an impact on the 2012 season.

Thoughts?
bigboiajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 09:52 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

My thoughts are I love Chase Minnifield and I suspect Ted Thompson does as well.

I'd like your trade down idea, and then draft the CB Minnifield and one of the 5-techs, both in the late 30's or 40's, and trade a mid-late pick for Jerry Hughes and move him to OLB where Ted was planning on taking and moving him with pick #24 in 2010 before Bulaga fell. I still believe Hughes is as good an OLB prospect as anything we'll find in this draft after the first round.

He's a bargain for a 4th or 5th round pick.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:13 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

Quote:
My thoughts are I love Chase Minnifield and I suspect Ted Thompson does as well.

I'd like your trade down idea, and then draft the CB Minnifield and one of the 5-techs, both in the late 30's or 40's, and trade a mid-late pick for Jerry Hughes and move him to OLB where Ted was planning on taking and moving him with pick #24 in 2010 before Bulaga fell. I still believe Hughes is as good an OLB prospect as anything we'll find in this draft after the first round.

He's a bargain for a 4th or 5th round pick.
With the Colts transition to a 3-4 I'm guessing they'll give him a shot standing up before moving on from him

Old 02-03-2012, 06:48 AM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by princefielder28 View Post
With the Colts transition to a 3-4 I'm guessing they'll give him a shot standing up before moving on from him
Are we sure they are switching it? I thought Butler backed out and is staying in Pittsburgh.
Freeney & Mathis are the anchors of that defense, and they are 4-3 speed guys. Can't imagine them totally 180ing.
Old 02-03-2012, 08:02 AM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

Quote:
Are we sure they are switching it? I thought Butler backed out and is staying in Pittsburgh.
Freeney & Mathis are the anchors of that defense, and they are 4-3 speed guys. Can't imagine them totally 180ing.
Greg Manusky, formerly of the Chargers, has accepted the DC for the Colts and with Pagano in as head coach it would only make sense that they'll transition to a 3-4, and the transition shouldn't be an issue with Freeney/Mathis since their games are based on speed.

Old 02-03-2012, 03:34 PM    (permalink
RyanBraun8
Rookie

Mathis is a free agent and we already know where i stand on trading for Hughes (i'd trade almost nothing for him)

Last edited by RyanBraun8 : 02-03-2012 at 03:37 PM.
Old 02-03-2012, 09:10 PM    (permalink
J-Mike88
All-Pro

McShay has Melvin Ingram at 8 in his latest mock, and Upshaw at 10.

Green Bay Packers

Record: 15-1
Ronnell Lewis*, OLB, Oklahoma

This is a bit of a reach, but no more so than any of the players who fit Green Bay's need at defensive end (5-technique) or cornerback. The Packers must find a pass-rusher who can complement OLB Clay Matthews, and Lewis would bring natural burst and athleticism to the table.