Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Baltimore Ravens Team Forum

Baltimore Ravens Team Forum Discuss the Ravens

Old 04-15-2012, 12:13 AM    (permalink
coordinator0
Pro Bowler

coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm putting together a mock draft and the guys I have left for the Ravens at 29 include Jeffery, Randle, Adams, Martin, Zeitler, Reyes, and Still. Not a great board but who would you go with? I have a feeling Mike Adams will be the popular choice but I'm not sure he would be a great pick. Actually I'm not a fan of anybody that's left but I'm not doing trades so whatever.
coordinator0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 02:02 AM    (permalink
America
Pro Bowler

America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

That's got to be worst case scenario. I'd lean towards Jonathan Martin. He's a finesse blocker but I think he's much more of a sure thing than Mike Adams.
America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 03:27 PM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Finished up the 5 Round mock last night, Ravens draft finished as;

1) Peter Konz, C, Wisconsin
2) Markelle Martin, S, Oklahoma State
3) Joe Adams, WR, Arkansas
4) Audie Cole, LB, North Carolina State
5) Dwight Jones, WR, North Carolina
5) Asa Jackson, CB, Cal Poly

This is probably a best case scenario for us come April 26th, but I'm really happy with how it turned out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.
A Perfect Score is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 03:59 PM    (permalink
coordinator0
Pro Bowler

coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I wouldn't touch Martin until the 4th round, but I'm not high on him either. Jackson seems like a waste of a pick if the plan is to keep him at CB. I like the other guys though.
Old 04-15-2012, 04:01 PM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coordinator0 View Post
I wouldn't touch Martin until the 4th round, but I'm not high on him either. Jackson seems like a waste of a pick if the plan is to keep him at CB. I like the other guys though.
Martin's a very good football player, the issues at this point are whether or not his knee is healing as anticipated. Seeing as how they've been very mum to this point on the true nature of his injury and what's going on, that's some cause for concern. That said, the value at safety in this draft is abysmal and there is so much depth as other key positions for us that grabbing someone like Martin in the second before the depth runs out is key, at least IMO. Martin could redshirt behind Reed for a season then take over for Pollard once his knee is fully rehabbed.
Quote:
Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.
Old 04-15-2012, 04:06 PM    (permalink
coordinator0
Pro Bowler

I don't believe in reaching for a player because of a very weak class, that's just asking for trouble in my opinion. Even if there's depth at other positions you don't pass on better overall players when S isn't really an immediate need anyways. He just doesn't really impress me on tape either. Pollard doesn't need to be replaced if his play is at the same level as it was last season. That's the best SS play we've had since Landry hurt his neck.
Old 04-15-2012, 04:17 PM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

Quote:
I don't believe in reaching for a player because of a very weak class, that's just asking for trouble in my opinion. Even if there's depth at other positions you don't pass on better overall players when S isn't really an immediate need anyways. He just doesn't really impress me on tape either. Pollard doesn't need to be replaced if his play is at the same level as it was last season. That's the best SS play we've had since Landry hurt his neck.
I don't view it as reaching, Martin's pretty well a consensus 2nd round talent and before the injury he was the clear cut #2 safety in this class. Assuming you value safety and wide receiver as equally needy of an infusion of youth (Which I do), passing on a WR in a deep WR draft to draft a S in a shallow S draft isn't asking for trouble, it's opening more avenues for you to pursue in the later rounds. To each his own, but I'd prefer to address what will soon be an issue at S before it progresses any further.
Quote:
Old 04-15-2012, 04:26 PM    (permalink
coordinator0
Pro Bowler

Adding youth the WR position isn't quite the same as adding youth to the S position. At least you can get an immediate impact from the draft picks at WR where as at S we would have to wait until Reed is gone or we don't bring Pollard back after next season. Backups at the S spot don't really make much of an impact at all.
Old 04-15-2012, 05:30 PM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Adding youth the WR position isn't quite the same as adding youth to the S position. At least you can get an immediate impact from the draft picks at WR where as at S we would have to wait until Reed is gone or we don't bring Pollard back after next season. Backups at the S spot don't really make much of an impact at all.
Well it's not like I completely neglected the WR position, in fact I added 2. Adams is just what the doctor ordered for us in the slot, and Jones has long term developmental potential on the outside. But again, to each their own. I'd absolutely love if our draft turned out this way, but I imagine the Forum Mock TACKLE and I are about to run will be fairly different.
Quote:
Old 04-15-2012, 06:02 PM    (permalink
SunTzu_22
Veteran

SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SunTzu_22 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Perfect Score View Post

This is probably a best case scenario for us come April 26th, but I'm really happy with how it turned out.
I would love if we had the chance to get Dont´a Hightower at #29, but getting Audie Cole (who I like A LOT) later would be a great consolation prize. If this would be the group that Ozzie takes home come draftday, I would definitly be thrilled about it!
SunTzu_22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 08:41 PM    (permalink
Sloopy
Pro Bowler

Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by America View Post
That's got to be worst case scenario. I'd lean towards Jonathan Martin. He's a finesse blocker but I think he's much more of a sure thing than Mike Adams.
I don't know, (I know I'm a buckeyes fan and this always comes off as pimping my guy) I think Martin played straight up soft this year.

Adams really get underrated after the bench press fiasco considering he was considered to be the #2 OT by some after the senior bowl. IMO Game tape + Senior Bowl > Combine + Pro Days.

The dude flat out dominated the top pass rushers in this class and had a stand out senior campaign.

I PITY THE FOOL WHO DON'T BELIEVE ME
BK sig is straight sex
THE Ohio State University Buckeyes
Baltimore Ravens
Cleveland Cavaliers
Cleveland Indians
Chelsea FC
Quote:
Originally Posted by keylime_5 View Post
Miller is visual sex on the field.
Sloopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 08:44 PM    (permalink
Sloopy
Pro Bowler

Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

I know he is a possibility, but I just don't like Konz.

The guy is a 2nd rounder talent wise and is way too injury prone for my taste. I see major bust factor between the first round expectations (even if he becomes a serviceable starter, that isn't what I'm looking for in round one) and the injuries. I think he would be a waste of a first round pick.

Martin went too early here. Don't mind Adams. Cole is good. Love Dwight. Would have liked to grab Taze with the 2nd fifth rounder.

BK sig is straight sex
Baltimore Ravens
Cleveland Cavaliers
Cleveland Indians
Chelsea FC
Quote:
Old 04-15-2012, 10:05 PM    (permalink
coordinator0
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Well it's not like I completely neglected the WR position, in fact I added 2. Adams is just what the doctor ordered for us in the slot, and Jones has long term developmental potential on the outside. But again, to each their own. I'd absolutely love if our draft turned out this way, but I imagine the Forum Mock TACKLE and I are about to run will be fairly different.
Oh I wasn't really arguing that, just that I don't view adding a WR the same as adding a S.
Old 04-15-2012, 11:42 PM    (permalink
GoRavens
Veteran

GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

WR Tandon Moss and WR LaQuan Williams are 2 guys the Ravens like a lot.
That said, I'd like to see WR addressed in the later rounds, 4th - on.
A sure handed, explosive athlete would fit best.
Perhaps, even a WR with some return value.
5) WR Tommy Streeter (5th)
4) WR Greg Childs (5th)
3) WR Levon Brazil (5th)
2) WR Marvin Jones (4th)
1) WR Ryan Broyles (4th)

Last edited by GoRavens : 04-15-2012 at 11:44 PM.
GoRavens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 01:02 AM    (permalink
America
Pro Bowler

America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloopy View Post
I don't know, (I know I'm a buckeyes fan and this always comes off as pimping my guy) I think Martin played straight up soft this year.

Adams really get underrated after the bench press fiasco considering he was considered to be the #2 OT by some after the senior bowl. IMO Game tape + Senior Bowl > Combine + Pro Days.

The dude flat out dominated the top pass rushers in this class and had a stand out senior campaign.
I'm higher than Mike Adams than most, and also on Jonathan Martin so I'm not saying Adams won't be a good player. I agree with you that his film is impressive, and don't consider his workout numbers at face value. Neither are dominating run blockers, and both excel at catching and redirecting pass rushers.

But, where I find the difference is in their drive and work ethic. Martin could have gone to Harvard, not that Stanford isn't impressive, and comes from a very academic family (parents went to Harvard law). He understands what it takes to be great and if he doesn't pan out it won't be because he made bad decisions or was outworked. I disagree with a lot of analysts and don't think he lacks aggression or a mean streak. With Adams, I'm concerned his lofty HS rating (Rivals #3 overall) gave him complacency. His combine numbers to me just mean he didn't put in the time to get the results. Basically, I'm more comfortable drafting Martin because I know what I'm getting. Maybe he can slide to LG for his first year, and I still think he could start. Adams is more of a project, albeit with a higher ceiling.

Granted I wasn't there for the interviews so I could be completely misinterpreting Mike Adams. I just would prefer Martin if those two were on the board.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:27 AM    (permalink
Sloopy
Pro Bowler

Quote:
He understands what it takes to be great and if he doesn't pan out it won't be because he made bad decisions or was outworked. I disagree with a lot of analysts and don't think he lacks aggression or a mean streak.
Oh I think he definitely has these features (I think Adams does as well) my main problem with Martin is that he needs to improve his functional strength.

There is a ton of potential in him if he can improve this feature specifically.

End of the day, both Martin and Adams are guys who get drafted on potential; who you take will be dependent on who you think can turn into the better prospect.

BK sig is straight sex
Baltimore Ravens
Cleveland Cavaliers
Cleveland Indians
Chelsea FC
Quote:
Old 04-16-2012, 08:24 PM    (permalink
niel89
SuperBowl Prop Bet Winner
All-Pro

niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.niel89 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd be happy with either of the 2 with our 1st pick. I personally prefer Martin because I saw him every game and also because I'm a homer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Don't be a stranger. Jordyzzzz would want you to stick around. ;o)

Touch Fuzzy, Get Dizzy
niel89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 11:31 AM    (permalink
coordinator0
Pro Bowler

Peter King has the Ravens trading their 1st (29) and 3rd (91) round picks to Detroit's for their 1st (23) round pick so they can take Hightower. Good thing it's only Peter King.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:48 AM    (permalink
Sloopy
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Peter King has the Ravens trading their 1st (29) and 3rd (91) round picks to Detroit's for their 1st (23) round pick so they can take Hightower. Good thing it's only Peter King.
I wouldn't mind Hightower if the situation was right and we DIDN'T make stupid trades to get him, but to be honest the dude is a straight up 2nd rounder.

BK sig is straight sex
Baltimore Ravens
Cleveland Cavaliers
Cleveland Indians
Chelsea FC
Quote:
Old 04-18-2012, 01:03 PM    (permalink
America
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloopy View Post
I wouldn't mind Hightower if the situation was right and we DIDN'T make stupid trades to get him, but to be honest the dude is a straight up 2nd rounder.
Hightower's stock is rising very quickly. There were concerns about his knee injury but he's put all those to rest and he's a 3 down backer. I think you'll be surprised about how highly the league views him.
Old 04-18-2012, 03:29 PM    (permalink
coordinator0
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Hightower's stock is rising very quickly. There were concerns about his knee injury but he's put all those to rest and he's a 3 down backer. I think you'll be surprised about how highly the league views him.
I still don't see how he's shown that he's a 3 down LB. I'm not too worried about his knee being a problem for the future but his atrocious ability to cover is quite concerning. Giving up a 3rd round pick to move up and take Hightower, when the team has quite a few needs as well as some depth issues, would be a terrible move in my opinion.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:32 PM    (permalink
America
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I still don't see how he's shown that he's a 3 down LB. I'm not too worried about his knee being a problem for the future but his atrocious ability to cover is quite concerning. Giving up a 3rd round pick to move up and take Hightower, when the team has quite a few needs as well as some depth issues, would be a terrible move in my opinion.
He can spin outside and rush the passer on third down, or blitz from the inside through the A gap. I agree he's not good in coverage, but he's got a lot of potential in that area to be a threat if we wanted to mix in some exotic blitzes. It's not like any of our LB's now are good in coverage, so he wouldn't be any more of a liability. Plus, I think he can learn to play the middle drop zone from Ray and be an intimidating force between the hashes.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:39 PM    (permalink
coordinator0
Pro Bowler

I guess if you look at it as him being able to rush the passer on passing downs he's a 3 down LB, but that's not how I view it. I'm picturing the heir to Lewis as a guy who can actually play LB for all 3 downs/in any situation like Ray does now, and if Hightower was taken in the 1st round he would certainly be viewed as the replacement. Obviously we aren't going to get somebody a good as Ray was but we need somebody that isn't a major liability when he's on the field. Saying that the rest of our ILBs aren't good in coverage is a terrible argument to convince anybody to accept Hightower's poor coverage skills (I would argue he's worse than McClain). Sure he can drop into a zone but I don't think he has the range to be effective at it.

Just say no to Hightower!
Old 04-18-2012, 08:39 PM    (permalink
Sloopy
Pro Bowler

Quote:
He can spin outside and rush the passer on third down, or blitz from the inside through the A gap. I agree he's not good in coverage, but he's got a lot of potential in that area to be a threat if we wanted to mix in some exotic blitzes. It's not like any of our LB's now are good in coverage, so he wouldn't be any more of a liability. Plus, I think he can learn to play the middle drop zone from Ray and be an intimidating force between the hashes.
Ray and Suggs are pretty good in coverage :P

I understand the argument that he can play three downs because he blitzed from DE in nickel in college. I don't know how well this will translate to the NFL though.

I still think he would be predominantly a 2 down guy

BK sig is straight sex
Baltimore Ravens
Cleveland Cavaliers
Cleveland Indians
Chelsea FC
Quote:
Old 04-19-2012, 08:44 PM    (permalink
coordinator0
Pro Bowler

So with Adams failing the drug test at the combine does anybody think the Ravens take him in the first round now? It doesn't seem too likely to me and I kind of doubt that they would take him if they traded back too. I'm not very optimistic that they will find an answer at LT in this draft, but that's okay since the team has quite a few other needs anyways.