Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Baltimore Ravens Team Forum

Baltimore Ravens Team Forum Discuss the Ravens

Old 01-28-2012, 10:19 AM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't think Brown makes it to us. He's a fast riser, and teams like the Eagles and Lions really need those type of LBs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.
A Perfect Score is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 05:12 PM    (permalink
drd23
Rookie

drd23 could make a wolverine purr.drd23 could make a wolverine purr.drd23 could make a wolverine purr.drd23 could make a wolverine purr.drd23 could make a wolverine purr.drd23 could make a wolverine purr.drd23 could make a wolverine purr.drd23 could make a wolverine purr.drd23 could make a wolverine purr.

Mike Adams has played his way out of our range in the draft in the Senior Bowl

Maybe Martin might slips to us now though?
drd23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 05:41 PM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drd23 View Post
Mike Adams has played his way out of our range in the draft in the Senior Bowl

Maybe Martin might slips to us now though?
Except Martin is horrendously overrated and I wouldn't take him at our 1st rounder.
Quote:
Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.
Old 01-28-2012, 09:29 PM    (permalink
coordinator0
Pro Bowler

coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We're getting Burfict at 29, that's all there is to it.
coordinator0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 11:15 PM    (permalink
thegreatone
Veteran

thegreatone could make a wolverine purr.thegreatone could make a wolverine purr.thegreatone could make a wolverine purr.thegreatone could make a wolverine purr.thegreatone could make a wolverine purr.thegreatone could make a wolverine purr.thegreatone could make a wolverine purr.thegreatone could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coordinator0 View Post
We're getting Burfict at 29, that's all there is to it.
Fine with me.
thegreatone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 09:33 AM    (permalink
Sloopy
Pro Bowler

Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Perfect Score View Post
I don't think Brown makes it to us. He's a fast riser, and teams like the Eagles and Lions really need those type of LBs.
If Taze goes off the board and Adams is too high, then I would be willing to trade up and get this guy.

Although, I think he may slip as 4-3 teams will likely not be looking at him in the first round and I doubt many 3-4 teams would.

The Eagles probably nab either Taze or Kuechly the Lions probably at least try to address that OL.

4-3 OLB just tend to fall, I know this guy is a special talent but teams just tend to not value the position in the first round.

Also, while they aren't the same player, I'm sure that Curry has hurt his stock a little.

I PITY THE FOOL WHO DON'T BELIEVE ME
BK sig is straight sex
THE Ohio State University Buckeyes
Baltimore Ravens
Cleveland Cavaliers
Cleveland Indians
Chelsea FC
Quote:
Originally Posted by keylime_5 View Post
Miller is visual sex on the field.
Sloopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 04:50 AM    (permalink
TACKLE
All-NFLDC

TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I saw you guys discussing something in a mock draft that coincides with something I've been thinking about for a while. I really like Dont'a Hightower as an SOLB in a 34 - possibly even more so than Upshaw. I always loved it when Saban kicked him down to DE in nickel situations and let him pass rush off the edge. They actually did this a fair it. He's explosive out of his stance, obviously he's strong and powerful but also has some natural bend and finesse off the edge. He plays with heavy hands and excels and at stacking and shedding blocks which is just what you need from a guy who can set the edge on the strong side. We all know about his issues in coverage but his coverage would be better than most DE conversion guys coming out of college. If we took him for that role, I could easily see myself getting on board with that pick (if he's moved to OLB only).

This would obviously be only JJ doesn't return. I would rather keep Kruger as a pass rushing DE because that's what he is and that's what he does best. I don't really see him as someone I want playing opposite of our primary pass rusher though I would have no problem if his role as a pass rusher was a expanded.

....it's a damn shame Sergio sucks.

Last edited by TACKLE : 02-02-2012 at 05:06 AM.
TACKLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 07:37 AM    (permalink
Sloopy
Pro Bowler

Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd be willing to take him in the second if he was still available and depending on who is still on the board

BK sig is straight sex
Baltimore Ravens
Cleveland Cavaliers
Cleveland Indians
Chelsea FC
Quote:
Old 02-03-2012, 04:25 PM    (permalink
TACKLE
All-NFLDC

TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

1(30) Mike Adams, OT, Ohio State
2(62) Shea McClellin, LB, Boise State
3(94) Joe Adams, WR, Arkansas
5(163) Jerry Franklin, ILB, Arkansas
6(205) Jonas Gray, RB, Notre Dame
6(208) Jaye Howard, DT, Florida
7(246) Mike Harris, CB, FSU
7(250) Keshawn Martin, WR, Michigan State
7(251) Kyle Wilber, DE/OLB, Wake Forest
7(254) Chase Ford, TE, The U

APS and I just finished the forum mock and looking at the class now, I must say I think we got some pretty excellent value and value was our #1 priority.

Our first 3 picks were all made before Senior Bowl started and all guys drew rave reviews and boosted their stock big time with outstanding performances in Mobile. Not to mention Jaye Howard who looked very impressive, has a ton of athleticism and seems like a great depth piece at either the 3 or the 5 tech. Mike Adams at 30 and Joe Adams at 94...are you kidding me!?! Those got to be two of the biggest steals in the draft. I think Howard goes in the 3rd round in real life so getting him at the end of the 6th was highway robbery.

Jerry Franklin isn't a flashy pick but he's a strong instinctive MLB with nice range and allegedly has 4.60 speed. He's been the leader and stud in the middle of Arkansas's D for the last two year.

Jonas Gray is a big back with a well rounded skillset. He was having a great year for the Irish before he hurt his knee. Not quite sure when he gets back fully healthy but he has a lot of upside as a complimentary power back.

Mike Harris is regarded by a lot of FSU fans as their best CB despite being the name that gets mentioned the most. Tough savy player with a ton of experience inside, looks like a long time player as a #3/#4 CB.

Coordinator0 turned me onto Keshawn and think he could legitimately compete for the #4/#5 spot on this team and brings more speed to the offense.

Kyle Wilber is a project but a very talented athlete with a lot of upside as a potential edge rusher who should go a couple rounds earlier .

Chase Ford had an excellent Shrine week and as moved up and is the #6 TE on National Football Post's board. Very little production but a guy with some big time physical ability that was well worth a flyer at the end of the 7th.

Only thing that's unfortunate is that we didn't get a center but after the first bunch, the value really dropped off and we didn't want to reach. Presumably we could some some JAG in free agency who would be just as good as a guy in the 5th/6th round.

All in all, I'm very pleased with the amount of highly talented and versatile athletes we brought in.

Thoughts?
Old 02-03-2012, 04:45 PM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

I felt like we did a really great job, as per our usual M.O. It is unfortunate that we couldn't snag an interior OL that we liked, but the value was way too depleted at the end of the 2nd and it got gutted through the 4th, where we didn't have a pick.

The late round legwork was mostly done by TACKLE, I'm behind this year. He pretty much offered up some thoughts on players we could approach in Round 4-7. I think Jaye Howard and Jonas Gray would be steals where we got them, and the first 3 guys are all great value.
Quote:
Old 02-03-2012, 05:52 PM    (permalink
coordinator0
Pro Bowler

coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.coordinator0 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We got Martin? A+ draft. No I'm not biased...

Seriously, that looks pretty good. Adams probably won't last that long in mocks anymore but it would be a great pick. Not so sure McClellin is a great fit across from Suggs. Adams is another guy that seems to be rising but would also be a good addition. I'm not really familiar with most of the other picks. But yay Keshawn Martin! Instant solution to our returner holes and he could be a pretty effective slot guy. Still throwing out the Antonio Brown comparison for him.
Old 02-06-2012, 09:08 PM    (permalink
Sloopy
Pro Bowler

So I know I've been pushing Brewster in the second for us as well as Ben Jones as an option...

but I would really like to consider Amini Silatolu OL Midwestern State.

Guy weighs in at 6'3" 324 Lbs, played LT in college but obviously moves to guard at the next level.

Athletic (reported 5.35-5.5 fourty) for a guard and plays with a nasty demeanor. By all accounts has a nasty initial punch and is dominant in the run game.

I know it's tough to tell with division two prospects but the guy seems pretty legit and is starting to shoot up on the scouting radar.

BK sig is straight sex
Baltimore Ravens
Cleveland Cavaliers
Cleveland Indians
Chelsea FC
Quote:
Old 02-07-2012, 07:48 AM    (permalink
ChefMike
Veteran

ChefMike is a cocksman.ChefMike is a cocksman.ChefMike is a cocksman.

I know I'll get crucified for saying this but why go after a lineman in the 1st rd? Our Team Speed on Defense is lacking and we need that infusion of youth on that side of the ball. Ozzie always seems to put together a group of talented people for the OL every year. Everyone complained about that talent at the OL this past off season and every game they came up big in someway when we needed it. I'm not saying don't address it.. just don't address it in the 1st rd.
ChefMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 08:29 PM    (permalink
Sloopy
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefMike View Post
I know I'll get crucified for saying this but why go after a lineman in the 1st rd? Our Team Speed on Defense is lacking and we need that infusion of youth on that side of the ball. Ozzie always seems to put together a group of talented people for the OL every year. Everyone complained about that talent at the OL this past off season and every game they came up big in someway when we needed it. I'm not saying don't address it.. just don't address it in the 1st rd.
I don't know why you think you'd get crucified... there are few linemen in this draft that I'd be willing to take in the first round. Pretty much Mike Adams or De'Castro, maybe Konz.

BK sig is straight sex
Baltimore Ravens
Cleveland Cavaliers
Cleveland Indians
Chelsea FC
Quote:
Old 02-07-2012, 11:27 PM    (permalink
ChefMike
Veteran

ChefMike is a cocksman.ChefMike is a cocksman.ChefMike is a cocksman.

Mainly because in the past if you speak your mind or have a legit idea to bounce around you get flamed for three days before you see someone have an intelligent comment about your statement or question! That's most of the reason I haven't been on in months... but with the draft back in less than 90 days I couldn't stay away long!

Sloopy I'm glad you agree on some level about the OL situation...
ChefMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 06:56 AM    (permalink
Sloopy
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Sloopy I'm glad you agree on some level about the OL situation...
Yea, I think that for the most part I have my eyes set on addressing ILB in the first, maybe a WR.

I would like to take a look at Amini Silatolu in the second or maybe third depending on where he ends up on most GMs boards but I think he could be an amazing replacement for Grubbs.

Other options in the second that I would consider would be Hightower so that we could move him outside.

I think a LB corps of Suggs-Brown/Taze-Lewis-Hightower would be pretty sick

BK sig is straight sex
Baltimore Ravens
Cleveland Cavaliers
Cleveland Indians
Chelsea FC
Quote:
Old 02-08-2012, 07:20 PM    (permalink
coordinator0
Pro Bowler

Quote:
The only OL I realistically see us having a shot at is Konz. Adams isn't going to fall to us now and I hope Martin doesn't either. Anybody else would be a reach at this point.

I disagree with bold the part though. The offensive line is easily as big of a weakness as any other area on the team in my opinion. If Grubbs leaves we have 3 legitimate needs along the OL. McKinnie will still be on the team and will probably be the starter but I count LT as a need since McKinnie is terrible. The OL was bad this year, there's no way around it. Sure they didn't flounder every snap but it was bad overall that we need a change. If we had the opportunity to improve it with a 1st round pick I would do it without hesitation.

Our team speed on defense needs to be improved, but all that really comes down to is the LB unit. Our secondary is plenty fast and deep (at least at CB) and we're not going to spend a 1st round pick there anyways. Dennard doesn't seem to be a great pick in the first anymore and I'm not sure that Jenkins would be a good pick either. Just don't think we really need a CB anymore, a rotation of Webb-Smith-Williams is pretty good. Carr isn't as bad as he was this season either.

With the way our scheme uses DL speed isn't a huge factor so I'm not seeing anything improving there. Not that I wouldn't mind taking a DE high, I don't think Redding will be back and we need another guy at the position. Preferably I would take somebody that would allow Jones and McPhee to remain in similar roles that they have now but getting another rotational player doesn't seem like a terrible idea anymore either.

So that comes down to the LBs. To improve our team speed there with a first round pick there's only two realistic options - Burfict and Brown. I'm on-board with either of them at 29 and they are two of my top options for our pick. I'm not sure who I would prefer if Konz and Burfict were both available though. Burfict seems like a great option to take over for Lewis at MLB (not necessarily lead the defense) but he's such a risky prospect. On the other hand Konz seems pretty close to a sure thing but the positional value might not be as high. I guess you could consider Upshaw as an upgrade to our speed at LB but I don't think he would add much in that area. I still think he would be a good replacement/upgrade for Johnson.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:44 PM    (permalink
TACKLE
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloopy View Post
So I know I've been pushing Brewster in the second for us as well as Ben Jones as an option...

but I would really like to consider Amini Silatolu OL Midwestern State.

Guy weighs in at 6'3" 324 Lbs, played LT in college but obviously moves to guard at the next level.

Athletic (reported 5.35-5.5 fourty) for a guard and plays with a nasty demeanor. By all accounts has a nasty initial punch and is dominant in the run game.

I know it's tough to tell with division two prospects but the guy seems pretty legit and is starting to shoot up on the scouting radar.

If you remember, I had us taking him in the 2nd round of a little 7 round mock projection I did a while back. I'm a big fan of his. Violent on contact, natural bender, very good athlete. Obviously coming from a small school he'll need a little more time to develop but in the little bit I've seen of him, he has a lot of ability.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:48 PM    (permalink
America
Pro Bowler

America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Has anyone watched a lot of film on Bruce Irvin (OLB from WVU)?
America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 09:15 PM    (permalink
Sloopy
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TACKLE View Post
If you remember, I had us taking him in the 2nd round of a little 7 round mock projection I did a while back. I'm a big fan of his. Violent on contact, natural bender, very good athlete. Obviously coming from a small school he'll need a little more time to develop but in the little bit I've seen of him, he has a lot of ability.
I really hope we target this guy in round 2. We are in a perfect position to take him at the top of his range and I REALLY want him.

BK sig is straight sex
Baltimore Ravens
Cleveland Cavaliers
Cleveland Indians
Chelsea FC
Quote:
Old 02-09-2012, 07:21 PM    (permalink
coordinator0
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloopy View Post
I really hope we target this guy in round 2. We are in a perfect position to take him at the top of his range and I REALLY want him.
Provided we don't bring Grubbs back of course. I'm starting to think there's a good chance we're able to retain him but it's hard to say what kind of contract he's going to want. Cutting Foxworth and restructuring/extending Reed would open up a lot of cap space. If Flacco gets a new deal I don't think it would affect much since he has about a $8 mil. cap hit this year and any extension wouldn't affect our cap room until next season. If Webb gets a big offer as a RFA that could screw things up. Honestly I'm fine with letting Johnson and Redding go at this point. Redding more so than Johnson but I'm starting to hope we change things up schematically just a bit. Nothing to substantiate that hope though. :(
Old 02-09-2012, 07:46 PM    (permalink
Sloopy
Pro Bowler

Yea I would obviously prefer to keep Grubbs if we can (if it ain't broke don't fix it) but if not, I can't see a better (realistic for our spot) replacement option in this draft

BK sig is straight sex
Baltimore Ravens
Cleveland Cavaliers
Cleveland Indians
Chelsea FC
Quote:
Old 02-09-2012, 07:49 PM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by America View Post
Has anyone watched a lot of film on Bruce Irvin (OLB from WVU)?
I have. I'm a huge fan. I think he's got the potential to be one of the best pass rushers from this class and an impact guy at the next level. Personally, I'd have no problem with him at 26, but he does alot of stuff very similar to Sergio Kindle, so I don't know if we'd take him there (all depending on how the coaching staff feels about him, obviously).
Quote:
Old 02-09-2012, 11:36 PM    (permalink
GoRavens
Veteran

GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GoRavens is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Bobby Wagner and Bruce Irvin are two interesting names.
Wagner is arguably the best (definite top 3) ILBs and will be gone before round 3.
Irvin has a fantastic burst off the edge and could be a nice pickup in the 4th.
Old 02-10-2012, 09:52 AM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoRavens View Post
Bobby Wagner and Bruce Irvin are two interesting names.
Wagner is arguably the best (definite top 3) ILBs and will be gone before round 3.
Irvin has a fantastic burst off the edge and could be a nice pickup in the 4th.
The 4th...who the hell are you? Irvin is going in the Top 40 picks.
Quote: