Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > College Football

College Football Discuss College Football

Old 10-21-2011, 12:37 PM    (permalink
GatorsBullsFan
Rookie

GatorsBullsFan GatorsBullsFan GatorsBullsFan GatorsBullsFan GatorsBullsFan GatorsBullsFan GatorsBullsFan GatorsBullsFan GatorsBullsFan
Default College Head Coaches in the NFL?

There will be quit a bit of NFL jobs open this off season counting a few would probably be Jaguars, Dolphins, Bengals, Chargers, and any others people can think of. So who would be College Coaches that could be in line for these jobs and I'm just going to throw out 3 that I think could be possibilities and that would be.

Urban Meyer
Les Miles
Bob Stoops

I'm not exactly sure if these coaches would make it in the NFL just looking for some other peoples opinions.

Thanks BoneKrusher
IN SHAD WE TRUST
GatorsBullsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 12:52 PM    (permalink
jrdrylie
All-NFLDC

jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Urban Meyer will never coach in the NFL. His system won't work there. Supposedly Les Miles is a guy who NFL people like. I don't know why. I think he is a mediocre coach who falls ass backwards into wins. I think if Bob Stoops wanted to go to the NFL he would have already gone.

Some guys you didn't list who might have a shot are Jimbo Fisher, Steve Sarkisian, and maybe Kirk Ferentz (not sure about him. He has been mentioned before but like Stoops, his time may have passed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidGold View Post
Bortlezzzzzzz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monomach View Post
Brilliant letting one of Scott Pioli's henchmen have his own team to ruin.  One of the premier GM jobs in the NFL and it gets handed to a stupid **** who makes three facepalm moves for every good one.  Awesome.  Just like handing a new Mercedes to a 16 year old girl who's already been in three wrecks. 
jrdrylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 12:56 PM    (permalink
tjsunstein
Mr. Rodgers' Neighborhood
Icon

tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.tjsunstein is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Does Urban Meyer count since he's not coaching right now? I think he's waiting for Kelly to get fired from Notre Dame to take that job.

Butch Davis, UNC
- Already had a run in the NFL, was the scapegoat for the problems at UNC and wouldn't be surprised if he were to get another shot.

Greg Schiano, Rutgers
- I don't know how realistic it is that NFL teams are going to call a guy who's never won the conference he's in but he's good enough to make the jump.

Kirk Ferentz, Iowa

- We've heard his name mentioned in the past for coaching vacancies.

Trying not to repeat any names already listed.

Edit: Really like the Steve Sarkisian mention.

tjsunstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 01:00 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Schiano would make a great NFL Defensive Coordinator but he would get butchered for his gameday coaching in the NFL. He's been really good this year but in the past he's made some real head scratching decisions.

sig by BoneKrusher

Last edited by Giantsfan1080 : 10-21-2011 at 01:15 PM.
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 01:25 PM    (permalink
BRAVEHEART
Pro Bowler

BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BRAVEHEART is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Sark already turned the Raiders down before Kiffin got the job. I dunno if he wants to coach in the NFL.
Old 10-21-2011, 02:58 PM    (permalink
DraftSavant
Veteran

DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DraftSavant is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrdrylie View Post
Urban Meyer will never coach in the NFL. His system won't work there. Supposedly Les Miles is a guy who NFL people like. I don't know why. I think he is a mediocre coach who falls ass backwards into wins. I think if Bob Stoops wanted to go to the NFL he would have already gone.

Some guys you didn't list who might have a shot are Jimbo Fisher, Steve Sarkisian, and maybe Kirk Ferentz (not sure about him. He has been mentioned before but like Stoops, his time may have passed.
I don't think Meyer is dumb enough to try that offensive system in the NFL. Remember, too, of the noted spread offense "gurus," Meyer was one of the last converts. He didn't start learning and incorporating the spread option until he got hired by Bowling Greene.

If anything, I don't think Meyer would work in the NFL because he's such an authoritarian and controlling figure and has only ever worked with kids - never grown men making more money than him.
DraftSavant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 03:26 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Stoops has turned down the Cowboys offer for an interview several times. I think he enjoys destroying ****** college teams.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 03:49 PM    (permalink
jrdrylie
All-NFLDC

jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DraftSavant View Post
I don't think Meyer is dumb enough to try that offensive system in the NFL. Remember, too, of the noted spread offense "gurus," Meyer was one of the last converts. He didn't start learning and incorporating the spread option until he got hired by Bowling Greene.

If anything, I don't think Meyer would work in the NFL because he's such an authoritarian and controlling figure and has only ever worked with kids - never grown men making more money than him.
Meyer doesn't change his offense to fit his players. He had Chris Leak, a pure pocket passer, and ran the spread option. He had John Brantley, a pure pocket passer, and ran the spread option. I'm pretty sure if he went to the NFL, he would try to run the spread option.

Quote:
Bortlezzzzzzz
Quote:
Brilliant letting one of Scott Pioli's henchmen have his own team to ruin.  One of the premier GM jobs in the NFL and it gets handed to a stupid **** who makes three facepalm moves for every good one.  Awesome.  Just like handing a new Mercedes to a 16 year old girl who's already been in three wrecks. 
Old 10-21-2011, 03:55 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If Meyer went to the NFL he wouldn't run the same offense that he ran in college, it'd be just insane. It wouldn't take him long to figure out that the option doesn't work, though some of his philosophies are used in the NFL, specifically by the Patriots on some misdirection plays and screens, and the Panthers are using some plays that Cam Newton ran at Auburn in the spread option offense. Meyer's two best attributes as a college coach are his ability to refine that spread option and making it work really well and his ability to recruit - two things that aren't useful at all in the NFL. That said I think he could succeed and adapt to the NFL game, he's a smart guy. I don't think he goes to the NFL though.
Old 10-23-2011, 12:58 PM    (permalink
Hollywood
Veteran

Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hollywood is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Jimbo Fisher??? Jigga what?????? Sarkisian and Ferentz are decent choices though.
Hollywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 01:17 PM    (permalink
MaxV
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MaxV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

There are some rumors that Jim Caldwell might be on the hot seat as Colts' head coach and that they hired Jim Tressel as a consultant to transition him into the head coach of the team.
MaxV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 03:33 PM    (permalink
SickwithIt1010
All-Pro

SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ive always thought Ferentz would be a great NFL coach, always has great offensive lines, solid running games, and stingy defenses.

I dont think Meyer would make it in the NFL. His system would never fit, and like someone said...his personality wouldnt work with NFL players.

I think Sark is slowly starting to show he is one of the better coaches in college football. Not just a great offensive mind, but he has turned that program around at U dub.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erNation85 View Post
I wouldn't be sir prized if he passed McCoy on the depth chart. I think he might have a better arm and accurate arm then him from the highlights I thought. He also got some wheels too help us prepare for QB's as Wilson , RG3 and other runners etc.
SickwithIt1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 03:34 PM    (permalink
SickwithIt1010
All-Pro

SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SickwithIt1010 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxV View Post
There are some rumors that Jim Caldwell might be on the hot seat as Colts' head coach and that they hired Jim Tressel as a consultant to transition him into the head coach of the team.
I hope to god that isnt the Colts plan.

Quote:
I wouldn't be sir prized if he passed McCoy on the depth chart. I think he might have a better arm and accurate arm then him from the highlights I thought. He also got some wheels too help us prepare for QB's as Wilson , RG3 and other runners etc.
Old 10-23-2011, 04:12 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

That was bound to be a rumor since they hired a guy like JT to be a consultant. No way they hire Tressel, he has 0 NFL experience and is almost 60 years old.
Old 10-23-2011, 04:26 PM    (permalink
SickwithIt1010
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by keylime_5 View Post
That was bound to be a rumor since they hired a guy like JT to be a consultant. No way they hire Tressel, he has 0 NFL experience and is almost 60 years old.
And runs the most boring offense in football.

Quote:
Old 10-23-2011, 04:31 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

there was like 2 years there where the opened up the playbook and ran a pretty exciting offense with Santonio Holmes, Ted Ginn Jr., Anthony Gonzalez, Troy Smith, Brian Robiskie, Brian Hartline, Tony Pittman, and Chris Wells....but other than that it was pretty much the most conservative boring offensive scheme of all time. Even with that team he was fairly conservative in running clock and not taking risks.
Old 10-23-2011, 05:27 PM    (permalink
SickwithIt1010
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by keylime_5 View Post
there was like 2 years there where the opened up the playbook and ran a pretty exciting offense with Santonio Holmes, Ted Ginn Jr., Anthony Gonzalez, Troy Smith, Brian Robiskie, Brian Hartline, Tony Pittman, and Chris Wells....but other than that it was pretty much the most conservative boring offensive scheme of all time. Even with that team he was fairly conservative in running clock and not taking risks.
Yeah, Troy was fun to watch in college. He was the best QB Tressell has had in a while though. Pryor would have been fun to watch if they had put him in a spread, read/option type offense. Instead Tressell put him in a boring pro style run game that made Pryor look absolutely hideous.

Quote:
Old 10-24-2011, 12:51 PM    (permalink
murdamal86
Veteran

murdamal86 could make a wolverine purr.murdamal86 could make a wolverine purr.murdamal86 could make a wolverine purr.murdamal86 could make a wolverine purr.murdamal86 could make a wolverine purr.murdamal86 could make a wolverine purr.murdamal86 could make a wolverine purr.murdamal86 could make a wolverine purr.

I always felt the sweater vest was an NFL coach; just a gut feeling. There aren't too many coaches I can see being in the NFL that haven't been mentioned or contacted.
murdamal86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 01:17 PM    (permalink
jrdrylie
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
Jimbo Fisher??? Jigga what?????? Sarkisian and Ferentz are decent choices though.
Why not Jimbo Fisher? I'm not saying he should get a call today. But he is only 46. Let's say he spends six years at Florida State and he brings them back to national prominence. He'd be 50. It wouldn't surprise me to see him get the call.

Quote:
Bortlezzzzzzz
Quote:
Old 10-28-2011, 12:30 PM    (permalink
mqtirishfan
All-Pro

mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Meyer doesn't change his offense to fit his players. He had Chris Leak, a pure pocket passer, and ran the spread option. He had John Brantley, a pure pocket passer, and ran the spread option. I'm pretty sure if he went to the NFL, he would try to run the spread option.
Because Chris Leak running the spread at Florida went so very poorly for them, right?
mqtirishfan is offline   Reply With Quote