Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 11-06-2011, 09:02 AM    (permalink
JBCX
Veteran

JBCX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JBCX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JBCX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JBCX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JBCX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JBCX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JBCX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JBCX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JBCX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JBCX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JBCX is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiFan24 View Post
It's frustrating, but if you have the right players, I still think it's as good as any defense you can play. Especially nowadays; corners aren't allowed to play proper man coverage anyway; the cover 2 basically acknowledges that by not even making an attempt. Our problem at the moment is that the safeties have completely neglected their deep responsibilities, and we need another pass rusher. But last year it was pretty awesome when Danieal Manning was back there playing out of his mind and Peppers was beasting all over everyone.
That's the problem with Cover-2: it's great if you have 2 or more freaks of nature on the front four in their prime generating pass pressure on every snap with a four-man rush, but the minute one of those freak of nature DE/DT guys gets old, or gets injured, or leaves in free agency, your Cover-2 becomes a sieve-like defense. It's too dependant on rare, premium talent in the front four.

A more scheme-based defense such as Lebeau's fire zone blitz, or Rex Ryan's system, can weather the loss of a front-seven player more readily because it's easy to find replacement players to fit that scheme. Replacing a Julius Peppers, or a Warren Sapp, in a Cover-2 scheme, however, is a much more challenging task.

It's easier to find talented cover cornerbacks to fit a blitzing system than talented DEs and DTs who are freaks of nature who are big enough to play the run but also quick enough to rush the passer.
JBCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 09:37 AM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCH View Post
I don't follow the logic. What is their brilliant plan? He's 25 right now. Turns 26 in December. RBs play until they're about 29, unless injury gets them sooner. So, is the plan to franchise him the next two years, which would cost something like like $16 Million? Then throw some chump change ($3-6 Million, factoring in salary inflation) for the following year or two of his career, if the Bears still want him?

Unless he gets seriously hurt, they're going to pay him $20 Million over the next few years. They can do it the easy way, where everybody is happy. Or they can do it the hard way, where it becomes a locker-room distraction (even if Forte isn't trying to be a distraction, it'll be a distraction).
Let's break this down.

You can give Forte 20 million dollars to bring him back for next year.

Or you can give him 7.7 million dollars to bring him back for next year.

Let's say Forte gets hurt, or declines, or whatever after he gets his money (cause this happens all the damn time). Under the latter scenario, you've now saved 13 million dollars. If Forte does well with his new money, you can franchise him again, and you've now spent 16 million. I don't think the Bears are honestly interested in keeping Forte past 30 anyway, and they're probably correct in that regard.

I don't think the Bears FO honestly believes in the idea of "locker-room distractions" unless you're talking about people like T.O. who, quite frankly, are just insane.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 09:22 AM    (permalink
shane_man
Veteran

shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.shane_man is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't know. I think adequately paying Forte back for his last few years of service where he played well beyond his contract wouldn't hurt either. I would get it if he were playing like a possessed man this year but had a history of being anonymous. But Forte has been the only consistantly good thing about the Bears offence going back before Cutler got there. Rewarding him with job security and paying him what he actually wants rather then what your offering seems like a fair tradeoff for 600k as a salary in a year where he is again going to bust through a 1000 yards.

Just seems like a little loyalty wouldn't go astray especially when you consider when he does hit the open market(if the Bears were to let that happen which wouldn't actually surprise me) they will find out that the 20 Mill guaranteed was actually a good deal for them.

Cause some dumb as hell team will in all probability pay even more for him.
Old 11-10-2011, 09:29 AM    (permalink
Prowler
Pro Bowler

Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Prowler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I understand the front office side of things and the players. "I'm playing by the rules and saving money" vs "Slavery, that guy's making more than me and you can cut me at any time".

I wonder if front offices should just hand out bonuses without using a contract.

"I'm not going to give you a contract, but here's a one time gift of $5million to S-T-F-U and take it."

The owners win by saving money and not committing to potential decline, and the player gets a little "respect" money.

Prowler's Newb Guide
Prowler is offline   Reply With Quote