Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 03-25-2007, 09:03 PM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default 5 Positions and Players you would build your team around?

Its the offseason. Forgive me.

1. QB
This position is so important. A good QB can definetly make a contender of his team, just by himself. Add a nice supporting cast and you can be dangerous in the play offs every year.

My pick: Carson Palmer. He is young, throws the best deep ball in the game, and is a leader. The best pure passer behind Manning.

2. LT
An underated position to the casual fan...The offense basically revolves around this guy, seeing how he serves to protect the blind side of a QB (usually) and is needed for run blocking.

My pick: Marcus McNeil. To make it as a Pro Bowl alternate at the left tackle position with perrenial Pro Bowlers as a rookie is outstanding. To protect the blind side of a first time starter at the QB position and make way for the MVP RB is amazing as well. This guy is going to be good for years and years and years.

3. DE
I believe games are won and lost in the trenches and having a great defensive end helps out your pass defense and your run defense. Having a great DE really disrupts the offense and having to gameplan against a DE is alot harder than having to gameplan against a great FS or CB.

My pick: Julius Peppers. What can you say about this guy that hasnt already been said? He is one of the fiercest pass rushers in the league, while still having the size to defend the run well. Not only is he such a balanced DE, he can drop into coverage well. Sucks he is on the Panthers.

4. MLB
He is the general of the defense. It is as simple as that. He is the leader that can rile up defense to up their level of play. He is the one that calls the plays.

My pick: Jonathan Vilma. Young leader in the mold of Ray Lewis. What more can you ask for? Of course he would be playing in a 4-3, and I would build my defense around him, as oppose to the Jets.

5. DT/FS
My favorite position is Free Safety, so my choice of FS here might be biased. I think that the FS position brings so much ability to make a play; force a turnover, etc. Does anyone have a % of how many teams win while forcing more turnovers than having giveaways? Also, it allows your CBs to be a bit less than average and allows them to make some mistakes, while still not getting beat. And I put DT here cause games are won and lost in the trenches, and having a DT that can clog up running lanes and is able to get to the passer is a tremdous luxury.

My pick: Ed Reed/ Jamal Williams. Ed Reed takes away the deep pass and is a threat to score everytime he touches the ball. Jamal Williams disrupts OL and penetrates into the backfield and is very hard to stop.

Honorable Mentions: CB, RB, WR

Man. What a team.

Carson Palmer
Marcus McNeil
Julius Peppers
Jon Vilma
Ed Reed

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan
d34ng3l021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 09:06 PM    (permalink
draftguru151
:/
Legend

draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

QB, LT, DE, and CB are the premier positions, as a 5th I would take a RB. Too hard to choose specific players.

Also I love Marcus McNeill, but he is getting overrated. There are quite a few other tackles I would take over him.

<Gaius_Baltar> That is correct comahan
<vidae> I ******* LOVE YOU DG
<njx9> <3 dg
draftguru151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 09:09 PM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by draftguru151 View Post
QB, LT, DE, and CB are the premier positions, as a 5th I would take a RB. Too hard to choose specific players.

Also I love Marcus McNeill, but he is getting ove . There are quite a few other tackles I would take over him.
I would take some other tackles over him as well, but if I was building a team I would pick him cause of the good ole age factor.

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan
d34ng3l021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 09:10 PM    (permalink
JK17
Pro Bowler

JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.

Rivers, Tomlinson, Merriman, Gates, Williams.....(sarcastic homerism)

lol, in seriousness though,

Running Back: LaDainian Tomlinson

Quarterback: Carson Palmer

Cornerback: Champ Bailey

Left Tackle: Marcus McNeil

Linebacker: Shawne Merriman

I make the picks, assuming we're looking for a combination of youth and skill. Everything in football starts with the running game, hence the Tomlinson pick. Palmer is younger than Manning, with almost, arguably the same skills. Shutdown corners are almost impossible to come by, hence Bailey. The tackle pick is made based off youth and potential(not saying he's the best LT in the game, just saying he's the best young one IMO). Merriman is there for his presence as a pass rusher, but that could easily be substituted by a Peppers or dominant DE who can get pressure on the QB.
JK17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 09:14 PM    (permalink
RaVeNFaNaCtIc
Rookie

RaVeNFaNaCtIc hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

QB, LT, DE, RB, NT - but CB and MLB come very close

QB - Tom Brady or Carson Palmer
LT- Jammal Brown over Marcus McNeil anyday!!!
DE - Julius Peppers
RB - Steve Jackson - getting tired of hear lt's name
NT - Jammal Williams - can keep blockers off your lb's and still get presure on the QB and stuff thje run.

Give Kyle Boller 1 Last Chance
#1 supporter of Demetrius Williams!
I used to be MaddenPlayer52
RaVeNFaNaCtIc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 09:15 PM    (permalink
Scotty D
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

LT - Jammal Brown
DE - Mario Williams
CB - Champ
QB - Tom Brady
DE - Julius Peppers

I almost put

LT
LG
C
RG
RT
Old 03-25-2007, 09:16 PM    (permalink
Chucky
All-NFLDC

Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

THis is for a Cover 2 Team

QB: Carson Palmer

LT: IT all starts in the trenches: Jamaal Brown

DE: pass rush is essential for the cover two: Julius Pepper

DT: Tommie Harris

MLB: THe ultimate cover 2 MLB: Brian Urlacher

THat would be a pretty crazy foundation to a team/
Chucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 09:17 PM    (permalink
Chucky
All-NFLDC

Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Chucky is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaVeNFaNaCtIc View Post
QB, LT, DE, RB, NT - but CB and MLB come very close

QB - Tom Brady or Carson Palmer
LT- Jammal Brown over Marcus McNeil anyday!!!
DE - Julius Peppers
RB - Steve Jackson - getting tired of hear lt's name
NT - Jammal Williams - can keep blockers off your lb's and still get presure on the QB and stuff thje run.
I dont see how u could take Jamaal Williams over Casey Hampton if u r building a team.
Chucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 09:18 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Let's see: 5 most important positions?

SLB - Hunter Hillenmeyer
MLB - Al Wilson
WLB - Derrick Brooks
3-4 OLB - DeMarcus Ware
K - Matt "EagleSlayer" Bryant

sig by BoneKrusher
etk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 09:29 PM    (permalink
TheChampIsHere
Veteran

TheChampIsHere hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

QB - Russell
LT - Joe Thomas
MLB - Pat Willis
FS - Brandon Merriweather
DE - Gaines Adams
TheChampIsHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 09:34 PM    (permalink
draftguru151
:/
Legend

draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Even considering age I wouldn't take him. NEWS FLASH, D'Brickashaw Ferguson is better.

<Gaius_Baltar> That is correct comahan
<vidae> I ******* LOVE YOU DG
<njx9> <3 dg
draftguru151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 09:43 PM    (permalink
Moses
All-NFLDC

Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.

QB: Carson Palmer
DE: Julius Peppers
DE: Richard Seymour
OLB: Shawne Merriman
OLB: DeMarcus Ware
Moses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 09:45 PM    (permalink
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
All-NFLDC

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Can I clone Jay Cutler 5 times?

And also, with McNeil, he's young, but a big reason he slipped is because he has major health concerns regarding his back. He might not have the longest of careers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
do i tell you when to flip the burger?
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 09:48 PM    (permalink
excanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by etk View Post
Let's see: 5 most important positions?

SLB - Hunter Hillenmeyer
MLB - Al Wilson
WLB - Derrick Brooks
3-4 OLB - DeMarcus Ware
K - Matt "EagleSlayer" Bryant
A kicker??
Old 03-25-2007, 09:51 PM    (permalink
McGahee
Rookie

McGahee is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairMcGahee is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairMcGahee is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairMcGahee is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairMcGahee is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairMcGahee is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairMcGahee is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairMcGahee is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairMcGahee is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairMcGahee is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairMcGahee is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

QB- Tom Brady -Do you want to compete and have a proven player who can win the big game for you? Or a popular, talented passer?
DE- Juleus Peppers -A consistend pass rush will cut the opposing QBs decision time in half
DT- Tommie Harris - See DE
CB - Champ Bailey -Shuts down half of the field, leaving 10 guys to cover the other half
LT - Jason Peters -Young, athletic, strong, give him a few years and he will be one of the premier OTs in the league

Since RBs are a dime a dozen I chose to leave them off, but it was very hard to pass on LT.

Anyways, with my defense you are almost guaranteed to be in the QBs face every passing down with Tommie Harris and Juleus Peppers. Champ shuts out half of the field leaving the QB with one less target, a stacked defense blanketing the other side of the field, and a pass rush consisting of Tommie Harris and Juleus Peppers coming right at him.

My offense revolved around Tom Brady who has proven he can win without WRs, as well as Peters opening holes and stuffing the end on the left side.
McGahee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 09:51 PM    (permalink
myinnerself
Rookie

myinnerself hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Even considering age I wouldn't take him. NEWS FLASH, D'Brickashaw Ferguson is better.
NEWS FLASH: Last year, Marcus Mcneill was better.
myinnerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 09:52 PM    (permalink
Denver Bronco99
Veteran

Denver Bronco99 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

LT-Jammal Brown
CB-Champ Bailey
LB-DJ Williams
DT-Tommie Harris
QB-Jay Cutler
Old 03-25-2007, 09:56 PM    (permalink
Pacaveli

QB: Tom Brady
CB: Champ Bailey
CB: Chris McAlister
MLB: Brian Urlacher
Old 03-25-2007, 09:57 PM    (permalink
tishdog
Rookie

tishdog hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

QB- Carson Palmer
LT- D'Brick (I feel he will eventually pass McNeil who is better than him right now.)
WR- Calvin Johnson
Running a 3-4 Defense
NT- Casey Hampton
OLB- Sean Merriman
Old 03-25-2007, 09:58 PM    (permalink
JK17
Pro Bowler

JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
That must be why Ferguson made the pro-bowl as a rookie...or why he had serious OROY consideration.

No, that was McNeill.
JK17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 09:59 PM    (permalink
frogstomp

QB - Carson

LT - D'Brick

CB - Champ

DE - Peppers

MLB - Vilma
Old 03-25-2007, 10:02 PM    (permalink
McGahee
Rookie

McGahee is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairMcGahee is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairMcGahee is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairMcGahee is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairMcGahee is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairMcGahee is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairMcGahee is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairMcGahee is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairMcGahee is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairMcGahee is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairMcGahee is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacaveli View Post
QB: Tom Brady
CB: Champ Bailey
CB: Chris McAlister
MLB: Brian Urlacher
Interesting idea with the two corners, basically forcing the O to run. Nice thinking.

What it you go

DE- Taylor
DE- Peppers
CB- McCalister
CB- Bailey
QB- Brady

Have the rest of the team focus on stopping the run, and you're all set.
McGahee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 10:02 PM    (permalink
Michigan
Who wants to sex Mutombo?
Pro Bowler

Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

QB- Tom Brady
LT- Jammal Brown
CB- Champ Bailey
CB- Nnamdi Asomugha
DE- Julius Peppers
Old 03-25-2007, 10:11 PM    (permalink
Star Wideout
Veteran

Star Wideout hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Maybe in the future he will be, but from what I saw D'Brick struggled at the point of attack last season at times DEs would over power him. I believe in one of the Bills games Aaron Schobel just bull rushed right through him.

I love D'Brick's quickness and agility out of his stance, but last year McNeill was almost dominant, making key blocks on a line that contributed towards paving the way for the NFL single season touchdown record.
Star Wideout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 10:16 PM    (permalink
Gridiron
Rookie

Gridiron hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

3-4 Defense

QB - Jay Cutler
LT - D'Brickashaw Ferguson
DE - Richard Seymour
NT - Jamaal Williams
DE - Haloti Ngata
Gridiron is offline   Reply With Quote