Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Cleveland Browns Team Forum

Cleveland Browns Team Forum Discuss the Browns

Old 04-20-2012, 10:07 PM    (permalink
OhioJB
Rookie

OhioJB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OhioJB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OhioJB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OhioJB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OhioJB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OhioJB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OhioJB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OhioJB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OhioJB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OhioJB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OhioJB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm pretty much prepared for anything in the 1st and 2nd rounds. Heckert mentioned they have 18 players rated in the 1st round, and he expects to be able to get one of them at #22. He talked about having gotten burned a little in Philly when they drafted for need rather than best player available. I'm sure need will still be a major factor when selecting, but I'm not counting out a D-lineman at #22.

I'm thinking there's a possibility Dre Kilpatrick will be available at #22. Gilmore has been getting more hype in the media, and I haven't heard alot about Kilpatrick throughout the process. Doesn't sound like a bump and run type, but a good cover corner.

Also, reading between the lines, I doubt they draft Weeden at #22. Not convinced they'll even take him at #37.

I'm intrigued with the WR from LSU, Randle. He's got good size and has some speed, although I don't think he's as fast in pads as Kendall Wright. One of the talking heads yesterday mentioned Wright being a slot guy. If that's the case, I have to wonder if he'll be the Browns 3rd highest rated WR. Seems to me they need a WR who can line up on the outside against the opposing defense's best CB. Maybe Randle can do that. May not matter, as I'm guessing Wright be off the board before the team uses that second 1st rounder.

Heckert mentioned there are "...no ties..." on their draft board for the highest four players, so they are obviously sure about who they'll be selecting. If Richardson is on the board and they don't take him, many Browns fans will be disappointed. Personally, I think they will take him, unless a team trades up to get him at #3.

If that happens, Kalil will be available, along with Blackmon and Claiborne. My guess is they'd select Claiborne, but an argument could be made for taking Kalil. At least the way I see it, they don't have a legitimate backup for Joe Thomas. If they drafted Kalil, they'd have their RT, plus a quality backup for Thomas. As it stands now, if Thomas ever gets hurt, we'd be in a world of hurt at that position. Not saying I want Kalil, just that an argument can be made for taking him if Richardson is not available.

Would not be surprised if it goes something like this:

1-#4: Richardson
1-#22: Dre Kilpatrick
1-#(30's in a trade up to NE's 2nd 1st rounder): Randle

I'm guessing it would be hard fitting three 1st rounders under the rookie salary cap (along with their other picks), but if they think they can, New England likes trading down so they might be willing to trade one of their 1st rounders.
OhioJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 03:24 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Okay it's getting a little clearer.

Let's hope someone (Tampa or St.Louis) doesn't trade up into the 3 spot to take Richardson, because obviously he is the guy we are targeting at 4. Claiborne would be our backup plan at 4 if Richardson gets taken 3rd and we can't trade down....and while i love claiborne I would be disappointed with that scenario for two reasons:

1-Claiborne is a defensive player, and we HAVE to take offensive playmakers with our high picks this year no matter what.
2-IF we have Haden and Claiborne, then when those guys get to their contract, it is doubtful that we can afford to pay both of them the money they will be demanding (assuming both are top flight corners at that time, which should be a given).

If someone trades up and steals Richardson, we should trade down a few spots and draft either Blackmon or Floyd. That is all there is to it, I don't think there is any other scenario except to stay at 4 and take Claiborne if we can't move down.

I think they (and certainly I) want Kendall Wright at 22. I would not rule out Stephen Hill or Rueben Randle there if Wright is gone, though both would be slight reaches...and of course Jonathan Martin or Riley Reiff or even Cordy Glenn if he falls could be solutions to the RT position at 22. I would prefer a WR there and then either Bobby Massie or Mike Adams at 37.

Lots of talk about Weeden at 37, but I wouldn't waste a high pick like that on a QB unless you feel that he is a franchise QB who can lead you to super bowls with the right team around him and be a part of a top notch NFL offense like the best QBs are. If he can do that then age obviously isn't an issue. The issue is whether he can be Brees/Brady/Stafford/Manning/Roethlisberger/Rivers, or if he is just another Cassel/Henne/Freeman/Sanchez.

Last edited by keylime_5 : 04-24-2012 at 03:29 PM.
keylime_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 03:30 PM    (permalink
lacotomo
Rookie

lacotomo hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmgrand View Post
I just don't see the point of using a premium pick on Weeden this year. I say the Browns stock up on playmakers on both sides of the ball. Should Colt not show any progress, then pick a QB in next years first, wherever the pick may be. I believe one more years with a dynamic receiver, dynamic back, and a premium line pick would be fair.

and I also want to say that it was hard for me to have the Browns pass on Richardson
Not sure if anyone mentioned this, but if we are in the top picks next year, Matt Barkley is out there....I never liked him, but supposed to be the best next year....

I like Richardson, then a O lineman or WR, but not a slot guy.
lacotomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:49 AM    (permalink
mcdlaxbonz13
Veteran

mcdlaxbonz13 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.mcdlaxbonz13 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.mcdlaxbonz13 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.mcdlaxbonz13 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.mcdlaxbonz13 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.mcdlaxbonz13 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.mcdlaxbonz13 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.mcdlaxbonz13 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.mcdlaxbonz13 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.mcdlaxbonz13 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.mcdlaxbonz13 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

was curious to see how you guys see/want the first two rounds to go. Personally if it isn't a combination of RB, WR, OT with our first three picks I'll be not as thrilled. Actually the only two picks I don't want to see are Tannehill at 4 and Weeden in the first two rounds. I think with the 3 picks we have we need each one to be a guaranteed starter, then if Mccoy fails (and he probably will) then we should heavily pursue whoever the organization feels is a franchise qb in next years draft or if one magically becomes available in free agency. just my 2 cents what do you guys think

Sig by jkpigskin , thanks.
mcdlaxbonz13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 01:55 PM    (permalink
OhioJB
Rookie

OhioJB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OhioJB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OhioJB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OhioJB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OhioJB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OhioJB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OhioJB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OhioJB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OhioJB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OhioJB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.OhioJB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

How I want things to go:

I'll be happy if our #4 pick is either Richardson or Claiborne. Although I am a little nervous about the fact Richardson had a couple of ankle surgeries (in high school I believe), as well as what I heard described as minor knee surgery not long ago. With his punishing running style I just wonder how long he'll last before he has a serious injury to his lower body. Bottomline, I still want the team to draft him if he's available. Not sure about trading up to get him at #3 though if another team makes an effort to trade in front of us. Even with Richardson available at #4, Claiborne would be hard to pass up if they are both available. Imagining him paired up with Haden as our CB's is an attractive option.

If we get Richardson at #4, I wont be surprised if we take OT Jonathan Scott (or whatever his name is) at #22. We have to find a RT who can start right away, and Massie may not even make it out of the 1st round, let alone to pick 37 in the 2nd.

If Michael Floyd lasts until the mid-1st round, I wouldn't be shocked or disappointed if we traded up to take him. Reportedly many teams want to trade down this year.

With our first four picks I hope the draft falls so we can get quality starters at RB, CB, WR, and RT. And in rounds 4 or 5 it would be nice if we could find an upgrade at RG. Although I think Greco may beat out Lauvao anyway, so that may be a moot point.

I will say if we pick Blackmon at #4 or trade down, I'll be highly disappointed.

Draft day...enjoy it everyone.

Last edited by OhioJB : 04-26-2012 at 01:58 PM.
Old 04-26-2012, 02:11 PM    (permalink
OhioJB
Rookie

Something to keep an eye on: If we draft Richardson at #4 and CB Dre Kilpatrick falls to #22, MH and TH would have to be tempted to draft him. If that happens would you be ok with that selection at #22? Small possibility he'll be there, but some teams think he's more of a FS and he's had at least one shoulder surgery. I'd be ok with it but think they'd probably prefer to go OT or WR.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:11 AM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Call me crazy, but this was the worst scenario that could have taken place on day 1 of the draft. We paniced at #4 and gave up a boatload of picks to move up pne place for a RB and at #22, we showed the result of missing out on RG111 by taking Weedon. I have to wonder if Lerner ordered Holmgren and Heckert to draft a QB in round 1.
Holmgren and Heckert obviously paniced with the trade up to #3. I think the failure to obtain the second pick in the draft completely unhinged the management team and the results for Brown's fans was a complete disaster on day 1 of the draft.
Old 04-27-2012, 04:57 AM    (permalink
OhioJB
Rookie

I'm stoked about getting Richardson, and surprised at the reactions of some fans I heard on SportsTime Ohio the little I watched that station after the team made their two picks in the 1st.

Getting Richardson was monumental in my opinion. They had to give up picks, but they were only in the 4th, 5th, and 7th rounds. Going by the old trade chart (points) the team didn't give up that much. Pat Shurmur said they had been working the phones (not just on draft day), and knew other teams were trying to move up to get Trent. I was happy we did not have to give up a 3rd or higher, and in fact of our two 4th rounders we gave up the lower one. So the Browns moved up to get what I believe was the 2nd best player in the draft behind Luck, plus kept their next highest 4 picks.

When you think about the quality of talent in the 4th round in later, I don't think we gave up that much to get Trent. He'll be one of the best backs in the league. My only concern will be whether he'll be able to stay healthy.

Weeden I wasn't pleased with at #22, but I knew the team wanted him. I thought they'd take him either at #37 or wait to see if he slipped to the 3rd, but can understand why they took him at #22. We know QB's usually get drafted higher than they should, and they must have felt Weeden would probably get drafted before they picked again. He's a big strong QB with a good arm, so he does have talent. And the fact he had wins last year against the teams Luck, Tannehill, RG3, and Landry played for, gives me some hope he's good enough to help our team. Might take a year before he starts. This is a wait and see pick, but if it works out, he may be a late 1st round steal.

Next three priorities have to be WR, RT, and CB. OLB is another position of desperate need, especially with the likelihood Fujita will be suspended for Bounty Gate.

I honestly don't understand how anyone could be unhappy with our 1st round after getting Richardson. Jim Brown throws in a real stupid comment every now and then, this time referring to Richardson as an ordinary back. This is the same Jim Brown that criticized Walter Payton when he was still playing for being soft, because he ran out of bounds instead of taking on oncoming tacklers. More than anything I think Brown gets a little jealous of other RB's. Maybe he retired just a little too early.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:26 AM    (permalink
SolidGold
Pro Bowler

SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SolidGold is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Sounds like McCoy will be shipped out of town or released. Looks like it's Weeden and Holmgren's pet Seneca Wallace.

The Browns still have a chance to redeem themselves but the Weeden pick so early was such a reach. He should of been picked in the third round at the earliest but it doesn't matter now.
SolidGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 11:33 AM    (permalink
mdmgrand
Rookie

mdmgrand is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mdmgrand is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mdmgrand is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mdmgrand is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mdmgrand is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mdmgrand is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mdmgrand is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mdmgrand is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mdmgrand is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mdmgrand is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mdmgrand is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

As long as the Browns get a fifth rounder for McCoy, I'll be forced to come to terms with the Weeden pick. The Browns need to cross everyone off their board for the next two rounds that are not a WR, OG, and OT. They ruined the flexibility of this draft by giving up one too many picks to get Richardson and drafting Weeden early.

At 37: Glenn (OG/RT), Randle (WR), Hill (WR), Massie (OT), Silatolu (OG/RT), or Jeffrey (WR)

At 67: Allen (OT), Osemele (OT), Schwartz (OT), Brooks (OG), Givens (WR), Quick (WR), or Toon (WR)

I prefer to take a tackle at 37 and hope Quick or Givens falls to 67... It's possible but I bet they'll get snatched up in the second
mdmgrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 11:42 AM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We may have "panicked" to move up to #3 to secure Richardson, but giving up a late 4th plus a 5th and 7th wasn't a big price to pay at all considering we had 13 picks going into the draft, including mulitple 4th, 5th, and 7th rounders. We won't miss those picks as much as we would have missed Richardson b/c it was reported that the Vikings and Buccaneers were going to make a trade if the Browns didn't step in and offer the deal they did. The front office felt Richardson was a guy we had to get (other alternative was Claiborne, and considering our needs on offense that is not an alternative we wanted to face). Good move to go up and secure Richardson. Pick we had to make.

As far as Weeden, not a big fan. He's 29 and I'm not sure he has that much upside. If he is a Matt Schaub or Matt Hasselbeck type for 6 to 8 years then that's great, it was a good pick. Not sure he can be much more than that. On the bright side I think he's a fairly safe bet to be a solid starting QB at the very least. I still think we could've gotten him at 37. I was so pissed (and apparently the Browns were too) that the Titans took our guy Kendall Wright two picks before 22. IMO we should've thrown in some mid to late rounders to move up the 2 spots to secure Wright and taken Weeden in round 2. Richardson/Wright/Weeden wouldve been a lot better than what we're gonna end up with (Richardson/Weeden/Hill or Randle?).

Anyways....moving onto tonight. I'm hoping for either Cordy Glenn, Rueben Randle, or Stephen Hill at 37. We have to take a WR in round two. If we take Glenn at 37, then we should trade up from 68 to get Alshon Jeffery, Mohamed Sanu, or Brian Quick. After that we should probably draft a slot receiver in round 4 or 5. Lots of good RTs available with Cordy Glenn, Mike Adams, Bobby Massie, Mitchell Schwartz, Jeff Allen, and Donald Stephenson. We should get one of those guys in round 2 or 3 tonight. I wouldn't mind see us trading down from 37 and getting a RT, then trading up from 68 to get a WR. Regardless we should come away from tonight with two more starters at those two positions.

If we do go with a curveball we could take Janoris Jenkins or LaVonte David, or even Bobby Wagner on the defensive side of the ball. Not a guarantee that we go offense at 37, though I think it's a safe bet. We could get a steal at 67 with Zach Brown as well, who the FO reportedly really likes.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:20 PM    (permalink
mdmgrand
Rookie

mdmgrand is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mdmgrand is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mdmgrand is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mdmgrand is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mdmgrand is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mdmgrand is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mdmgrand is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mdmgrand is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mdmgrand is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mdmgrand is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mdmgrand is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

As a fan who understands this is still rebuilding... I would love Jenkins or David in the early second. At what expense would this come though? Wide Receiver or Right Tackle? I'd take a tackle in this situation with next pick, since the draft is deep with receivers. Also because Weeden will need protection and Richardson will need holes.

If they do decide to go talent over need they should do something similar to this:

Round Two, Pick 37: Jenkins or David, add potential and playmaking ability to their improving defense.

Round Three, Pick 67: Jeff Allen or Mitchell Schwartz, both are experienced tackles who could come in and start right away at RT.

Round Four, Pick 100: Ryan Broyles or Greg Childs, these guys are two different types of receivers. Broyles would be phenomenal in the slot, and Childs could play on the outside. I believe Broyles will become a steal in this draft.

My draft philosophy is that within the first two rounds you take talented players with high ceilings, sometimes knowing that there may be a risk. After round two though, it's straight need. The Browns are just in a difficult position because they have gaping holes in important positions.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:51 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

I would definitely be happy with that scenario. Seems like we could get a solid starting RT in round 3. Definitly are some good WR options in round 3 and 4 like TY Hilton, Chris Givens, Ryan Broyles, DeVier Posey, Greg Childs, Keshon Martin, etc.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:52 PM    (permalink
Brown Leader
Pro Bowler

Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If we hadn't made the move up with those picks, Tampa would have moved up for much less. Like it's been stated we already had extra 4ths and 5ths so it's not drastic to make the move.

I took a closer look at Weeden trying to wrap my head around the pick. I wrote him off because of his age and hadn't really taken a good look at him. I watched another game in 10' and watched him again at the senior bowl. He's got a bigger arm then I've given him credit for. Ignoring age for the moment, as a NFL comparison I'd say he's similar to Jason Campbell, also a late first guy. I've used the Schaub comparison before but Weeden's arm is bigger.

But like Schaub I thought Weeden would fit best on a team that had good talent at the skill positions and be a good functional guy on a great offense. Def didn't expect they'd take him for a rebuilding team like ours but it seems like they're not trying to sit him, at all. Something about that doesn't sit right with me either, after they pumped up McCoy this post season. but...

Since he's the guy I think we've got to take the highest upside skill player available and hope a solid OL lasts into the 3rd.

1. Stephen Hill
2. Rueben Randle
3. Alshon Jeffrey
4. Dwayne Allen
5. Chris Givens

OL Schwartz, Bergstrom, Stephenson, Osemele or Sanders might be available at the top of the 3rd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by borg9 View Post
Are you not entertained? Is this not why you are here?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBess View Post
....ask Brandon Weeden.
Pre-Draft 2014 Mock *FULL DRAFT*

Last edited by Brown Leader : 04-27-2012 at 12:56 PM.
Brown Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 02:17 PM    (permalink
mdmgrand
Rookie

I agree with this first pick today being based on upside. The Browns can't afford to take a guy with a medium floor, medium ceiling. I hate to have my team swing and miss, but I want these talents:

Deep Speed of Hill
Sheer Size and Versatility of Glenn
Phenomenal Man Coverage of Jenkins
Elite Linebacking Range of David
The Tenacity and Chip on Upshaw's Shoulder

If the Browns can still get one of these five First Round Talents, they must take them over any one else.

I have a feeling we will see Heckert reach for a player who turns out to be solid, but not spectacular. This is not what I want this year, I want potential, and I believe the majority of the fan base is with me.
Old 04-27-2012, 04:36 PM    (permalink
BuckeyeDan17
Pro Bowler

BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckeyeDan17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Only two positives I take from this draft are:

1. We got a badass back.

2. I ******* hate the selection of Weeden so much that I am in no way interested in watching the 2012 season; however, the selection depicts that Heckert and the fat **** realize that McCoy isn't good enough. That's the only good thing from it.

Have it your way, with BK (BoneKrusher)
BuckeyeDan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 04:46 PM    (permalink
Donnie D
Rookie

Donnie D hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeDan17 View Post
2. I ******* hate the selection of Weeden so much that I am in no way interested in watching the 2012 season; however, the selection depicts that Heckert and the fat **** realize that McCoy isn't good enough. That's the only good thing from it.
but the Browns already knew that McCoy isnt good enough. thats why they swung (but missed) on RG3. they didnt need to blow a pick on Weeden to know hes not the QB of the future.
"Doctors and scientists said that breaking the four-minute mile was impossible, that one would die in the attempt. Thus, when I got up from the track after collapsing at the finish line, I figured I was dead."
Donnie D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 11:00 PM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
Pro Bowler

JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I want Holmgren and Heckert to just go away.

How idiotic are these guys? They reached on Weeden. They took an unathletic T from Cal on a reach when there were several better tackles available.
Then they took the worst pick of the draft so far in Hughes. He was ranked 534 on CBS Sportsline draft board. Almost every draftnik had him as a 7th rounder or an UDFA.

This kind of **** is inexcusable. How could they be this inept?
JoeJoeBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 11:09 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

Nothing wrong with the Schwartz pick. Everyone knew he was gonna be a top 50 pick at RT.

John Hughes being ranked low on CBS' draft board means nothing. He was a late riser who NFL teams knew about moreso than the media. The media thought Brandon Boykin and Alameda Ta'amu were second round picks and they are still on the board in round 4. Hughes was a guy who had 12.5 tfls and 5 sacks as a senior that an NFL front office and scouting department (who has had success drafting defensive linemen) thought was worth a late 3rd round pick to be a rotational DT. I'm not worried about that.

I can see having problems with Weeden b/c of his age. I think the front office knows that they aren't worried about his age b/c the odds dictate that the front office will be out of a job by the time Weeden retires, so it was kinda selfishly shortsighted in that regard.

No sexy picks for the Browns since taking Richardson, but I like that they took a good RT high in the 2nd round to solidify the core of their offensive line, and while we may not be huge fans of Weeden, taking him is an upgrade over McCoy and we will be a better offensive team immediately and in the next few years because of this draft. I would like to see us take a slot receiver in round four to help that unit even more. At this point we're drafting for depth and taking chances on high upside guys, b/c the middle and late rounds of every draft is a crapshoot no matter how good you are at drafting.

Joe Haden, TJ Ward, Jabaal Sheard, Phil Taylor, Greg Little, Trent Richardson, Mitchell Schwartz....I like those picks by H&H so far. Pinkston is looking like a decent pick as well, and I think Marecic will stick at fullback. Throw in Weeden and the team is a lot better than H&H found it so far...and it's very young up and down the roster and built through the draft so there isn't a bunch of bad money tied into overpaid free agents. We definitely need to spend more top picks on impact players like Canadian always says. Richardson is a great start. I would love to add an elite WR in the 2013 draft and we'll be ready to start competing hopefullly (if the Weeden pick pans out - that pick will make or break H&H). If Weeden is just average or worse, then H&H will likely get the boot and we'll start over at QB, but at least the roster won't need a complete overhaul like it did in 2010 and every year before that.

Last edited by keylime_5 : 04-27-2012 at 11:13 PM.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:27 PM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
Pro Bowler

JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keylime_5 View Post
Nothing wrong with the Schwartz pick. Everyone knew he was gonna be a top 50 pick at RT.

John Hughes being ranked low on CBS' draft board means nothing. He was a late riser who NFL teams knew about moreso than the media. The media thought Brandon Boykin and Alameda Ta'amu were second round picks and they are still on the board in round 4. Hughes was a guy who had 12.5 tfls and 5 sacks as a senior that an NFL front office and scouting department (who has had success drafting defensive linemen) thought was worth a late 3rd round pick to be a rotational DT. I'm not worried about that.

I can see having problems with Weeden b/c of his age. I think the front office knows that they aren't worried about his age b/c the odds dictate that the front office will be out of a job by the time Weeden retires, so it was kinda selfishly shortsighted in that regard.

No sexy picks for the Browns since taking Richardson, but I like that they took a good RT high in the 2nd round to solidify the core of their offensive line, and while we may not be huge fans of Weeden, taking him is an upgrade over McCoy and we will be a better offensive team immediately and in the next few years because of this draft. I would like to see us take a slot receiver in round four to help that unit even more. At this point we're drafting for depth and taking chances on high upside guys, b/c the middle and late rounds of every draft is a crapshoot no matter how good you are at drafting.

Joe Haden, TJ Ward, Jabaal Sheard, Phil Taylor, Greg Little, Trent Richardson, Mitchell Schwartz....I like those picks by H&H so far. Pinkston is looking like a decent pick as well, and I think Marecic will stick at fullback. Throw in Weeden and the team is a lot better than H&H found it so far...and it's very young up and down the roster and built through the draft so there isn't a bunch of bad money tied into overpaid free agents. We definitely need to spend more top picks on impact players like Canadian always says. Richardson is a great start. I would love to add an elite WR in the 2013 draft and we'll be ready to start competing hopefullly (if the Weeden pick pans out - that pick will make or break H&H). If Weeden is just average or worse, then H&H will likely get the boot and we'll start over at QB, but at least the roster won't need a complete overhaul like it did in 2010 and every year before that.
You certainly do love to rationalize away anything negative about the Browns or Buckeyes. This draft is poor.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:32 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

I'm not a fan of this draft so far (save for the Richardson pick) but I don't think it's any reason to call out Holmgren and Heckert for incompetency. They're not doing that bad of a job trying to build this team that had absolutely no talent whatsoever to work with when they took over. Savage brought in a bunch of overpaid guys who didn't fit Crennel's systems at all, then Mangini got rid of them and brought in a bunch of untalented, yet hardworking, over the hill, system veterans...then H&H got rid of all of those guys and pretty much completely started over in 2010. Getting rid of H&H means starting over again and remaining in the perpetual state of suck.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:44 PM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by keylime_5 View Post
I'm not a fan of this draft so far (save for the Richardson pick) but I don't think it's any reason to call out Holmgren and Heckert for incompetency. They're not doing that bad of a job trying to build this team that had absolutely no talent whatsoever to work with when they took over. Savage brought in a bunch of overpaid guys who didn't fit Crennel's systems at all, then Mangini got rid of them and brought in a bunch of untalented, yet hardworking, over the hill, system veterans...then H&H got rid of all of those guys and pretty much completely started over in 2010. Getting rid of H&H means starting over again and remaining in the perpetual state of suck.
You are just a much more positive person than myself. I can't look at this draft and see competence.

I see:
3 picks to move up one spot. Three wasted picks, because Tampa Bay wasn't jumping the Browns. They mismanaged this due to panic. I was fine with it at the time, but I'm not now.

Weeden is a short term solution and a slight improvement over McCoy. This was a reach pick. What team was going to take him before 37? Either move that pick up or move this pick back. Stupid stuff.

Schwartz was probably taken in an ok spot. I would have preferred Adams, or them moving around to take Glenn. I'm fine with this selection.

Hughes. You can't buy this late riser spin the Browns are throwing out. The dude wasn't getting drafted before the 6th. This was just a complete waste of a high round pick. I don't care if the guy ends up being good, you've got to at least be within the ball park on the NFL consensus on a guy's value. Take him later if you love him and take a higher value player earlier.

They've mismanaged 3 of 4 picks. One terribly. That is just poor execution, and I'd say that most of it is on Holmgren.
Old 04-28-2012, 12:26 AM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

Tampa was gonna jump us for cheap. At least that's what the Cleveland media was saying all day today, and I think they said it on NFLN as well. We gave up a late 4th, 5th, and 7th for him. Trifles when you consider we had 13 picks (including 2 picks in each of those rounds) and we were desperate for an elite offensive skill position player (of which Richardson is the only truly elite one available)

Agree about Weeden. If he's good (big if) then he'll be here maybe 6 or 7 years in his prime. He has a better arm and better size and can make all the throws unlike McCoy. I think he will be no better than Matt Schaub/Matt Hasselbeck/Jake Delhomme/Joe Flacco in the NFL. Not top 10 in the league like you need to win it all, but one of the 11-20 best QBs (middle of the pack, but a decent starter who can be part of a really good offense if you have good pieces around him).

Schwartz was an alright pick. Good value, fills a huge need. No more turnstile at right tackle for the first time since that one year Ryan Tucker was actually healthy. Would have preferred Adams, but he fell b/c of character issues and he had a poor combine. Cordy Glenn not a great fit for what we need. Soft OG with great measurables but not a great pass protector in tight spaces against speed rushers, we needed a better pass pro guy at RT. There is a reason he fell so far.

Hughes was a guy the team liked. A late third round pick. Look at all the other third round picks by other teams. A whole lot of them were guys not expected to go that high, but the actual teams know more about scouting players than the media. Kiper/McShay/Rang/Reuter/etc. don't have as much knowledge about the players as NFL teams whose jobs rely on picking players. Bunch of weird picks in the third round. You can't judge the actual value based on the media. The media thought Bruce Irvin was a late 2nd and he was a first rounder on most teams' boards, same with AJ Jenkins and Brian Quick. The media said Bobby Massie was a top 50 lock - he lasted until round 4. John Hughes was probably a 4th rounder on a lot of teams' board for all we know. Either way, if he pans out as a decent rotational DT it's all we expect of him. In late round 3 and beyond you aren't drafting guys to fill immediate needs, aka holes in the starting lineup. It's a crapshoot, you just go BPA at that point regardless of position.

So Richardson and Schwartz are keepers and are gonna be core pieces for years to come on offense. Weeden was a pick the fans hated. He's an upgrade at QB, but everyone says bad pick. Hopefully we are all wrong and he's not just an average QB, b/c we all know his career won't be that long. After we traded down to the bottom of the third my expectations dropped for who we picked. I was expecting a DT there to backup Rubin and Taylor, and that's what we got. We fans have no idea how good he'll be, but let's let it play out. T

he rest of the draft is the same story - take BPA and hope we get maybe one or two contributors/starters that turn out to be gems/steals. The law of averages says that with all those picks we should at least hit on one or two tomorrow, so chin up about the rest of the draft.

Last edited by keylime_5 : 04-28-2012 at 12:31 AM.
Old 04-28-2012, 10:42 AM    (permalink
Tom Servo
Rookie

Tom Servo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Tom Servo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Tom Servo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Tom Servo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Tom Servo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Tom Servo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Tom Servo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Tom Servo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Tom Servo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Tom Servo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Tom Servo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

all I can say is with 13 picks I had very high expectations. then I remembered i'm a Browns fan and the universe hates me. oh well, at least we got Trent. maybe he can tote it 50 times a game til we get someone to throw it to
Tom Servo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 10:52 AM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

I know, all these guys are gonna be busts so far b/c we picked people that we weren't expecting.

you do know we have only spent 4 picks and have 7 more to make right?