Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

View Poll Results: What side?
Galactic Republic 12 37.50%
Sith Empire 20 62.50%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-23-2012, 11:20 AM    (permalink
the_dark_knight
Veteran

the_dark_knight hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Well I didn't know you guys were all playing together. I'm playing Republic on Nadd's Sarcophagus. Really had a great time with the game other than the PvP being vastly skewed towards the stupid amount of sith inquisitors. But other than that, everything is awesome about the game so far, I've really had a great time with it.

I'm leveling slow, cause I didn't get to participate in beta, I got to 33 on my Vanguard and then got a Gunslinger to level 11, then switched and I'm sticking with my Jedi Shadow who's now level 28 (with more rested exp than I can even seem to use right now because I've been so busy lately)
the_dark_knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 12:30 PM    (permalink
49erNation85
All-Pro

49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Man I really want this game but I am too poor right to afford the game plus a new mouse. I retract my statement earlier about this game being totally worth the price. I've read a few reviews in game informer and PC mag. This game just seems to amazingly fun and easy to play. Maybe around tax return I can afford gr.

How is everyone enjoying the story mode etc?
Old 01-24-2012, 08:04 AM    (permalink
the_dark_knight
Veteran

the_dark_knight hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49erNation85 View Post
Man I really want this game but I am too poor right to afford the game plus a new mouse. I retract my statement earlier about this game being totally worth the price. I've read a few reviews in game informer and PC mag. This game just seems to amazingly fun and easy to play. Maybe around tax return I can afford gr.

How is everyone enjoying the story mode etc?
The Vanguard Storyline was freaking fantastic. So far with the Shadow the story has been far weaker than it was with the Vanguard imo. But that's partially because the Vanguard is something that you're getting promoted and moved up the ranks etc. It's a pretty cool setup they've got going with that makes you feel like you're right in the middle of the Republic military and the way people respect you it's like, oh cool, so I've got a reputation. But I won't give anything else away.

With the Shadow, it's like, oh hey there's a sickness going around go cure it. Done that 3+ times already at 28 and it's just like, ugh, I'd rather just PvP and do Space Missions to level up.
the_dark_knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 09:35 AM    (permalink
Pit Bull #53
Team Leader
All-Pro

Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

A couple of my buddies started before me and ended up rolling on Davik's Estate server, so that's where I am. I came over from LoTRO (very underrated game imo, played the HELL out of it the past few years) where I raided/pvp'd/cleared everything in that game as a main tank...but it's going downhill now and that's a subject for elsewhere, so was time to move on.

I started off as a Vanguard, and looooved it. I played it up to about 30, then my friends decided they wanted to reroll Empire so I'm now playing a Sith Marauder. I really like the storyline for it so far (level 35), and for all the complaining people do on the forums over there about how underpowered and gimped marauders are, I'm loving the combat mechanics of the class, and some of the abilities/skill trees we get are pretty amazing. A little squishy, but I knew that going into it.

I'd give the game positive reviews so far. It's got me hooked.

Last edited by Pit Bull #53 : 01-24-2012 at 10:09 AM.
Pit Bull #53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 11:29 AM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah, a buddy of mine is a Marauder and they're like glass cannons without the cannon. They need some help but they seem to be a really fun class.

I got an Operative to 50 on release and their healing tree is seriously underpowered and it got annoying so I rerolled as an Assassin tank and I love the class. They have great AE threat and that is super helpful since every gd thing you fight is a pack of mobs and not just singles.

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 11:42 AM    (permalink
ImBrotherCain
SWDC Mafia
All-NFLDC

ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidae View Post
Yeah, a buddy of mine is a Marauder and they're like glass cannons without the cannon. They need some help but they seem to be a really fun class.

I got an Operative to 50 on release and their healing tree is seriously underpowered and it got annoying so I rerolled as an Assassin tank and I love the class. They have great AE threat and that is super helpful since every gd thing you fight is a pack of mobs and not just singles.
I have heard that Marauders are great when geared.

Thats the one problem with Juggs though is that I am main tank... its a pain to keep threat in big groups.
Old 01-24-2012, 11:44 AM    (permalink
Pit Bull #53
Team Leader
All-Pro

Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Pit Bull #53 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hmm so assassins get a tanking line...how is their dps when tank specced? Seems like something that would REALLY interest me. Are they viable as end game tanks?
Pit Bull #53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 11:52 AM    (permalink
ImBrotherCain
SWDC Mafia
All-NFLDC

ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ImBrotherCain is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

In being in some PvP groups with Vidae he is typically towards the tops in medals (Mainly cause he guards a healer and doesn't die) but he does do far more damage than I do as a Jugg tank.
Old 01-24-2012, 12:12 PM    (permalink
nepg
All-NFLDC

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImBrotherCain View Post
I have heard that Marauders are great when geared.

Thats the one problem with Juggs though is that I am main tank... its a pain to keep threat in big groups.
From what I've seen both as a Tankasin and as a DPS, the Assassin tanks are superior to PTs and Juggs right now. We do more damage and hold threat better. Especially in situations where there are lots of mobs. Take Boarding Party HM for example. There are 3 or 4 boss fights were the bosses have 2 or more adds that are dangerous.

I'm close to 20k HP now with a BH buff. I just stay up nearly infinitely. In PvP, I just run through the ******* fire to score in Huttball. If I'm running with a healer it's easy and I'm not even geared for PvP ( < 200 Expertise).

Last edited by nepg : 01-24-2012 at 12:14 PM.
nepg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 09:07 AM    (permalink
Fdmstng99
Rookie

Fdmstng99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Fdmstng99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Fdmstng99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Fdmstng99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Fdmstng99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Fdmstng99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Fdmstng99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Fdmstng99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Fdmstng99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Fdmstng99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Fdmstng99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Just started playing and I'm enjoying the Trooper Commando gunnery spec at the moment. Not really into the ranged characters in SWTOR until I rolled a Trooper. Didn't care to much for the Bounty Hunter, Mercs or Scoundrels.
Fdmstng99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 10:22 AM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pit Bull #53 View Post
Hmm so assassins get a tanking line...how is their dps when tank specced? Seems like something that would REALLY interest me. Are they viable as end game tanks?
As far as tanking goes, Assassins are probably near the top. They don't hold single target threat as well as a Jugg or PT, but they are the kings of ae threat.. which comes in handy, seeing as how there are rarely single packs of mobs anywhere in this game.

Juggs need some ae threat love and I'm sure they'll get it eventually, but I've read that they're better single target threat holders.

As for my DPS as an Assassin Tank, it's okay, not great. Obviously a DPS specced Assassin will do more, but I can more than hold my own. Plus it's hard as **** to kill me, even without a healer. I'm hovering around 21k hp right now and we have a lot of defensive abilities that make us tough to bring down.

Old 01-27-2012, 08:56 AM    (permalink
BradysKnee
Pro Bowler

BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BradysKnee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What servers you guys play on? Buying this today.
At the end of the day...

Mobility > Accuracy
BradysKnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 09:07 AM    (permalink
General Zod
All-Pro

General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.General Zod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradysKnee View Post
What servers you guys play on? Buying this today.
A lot of us,(myself included) play on "The Fatman". Sith Empire.
General Zod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 07:27 PM    (permalink
Matthew Jones
All-NFLDC

Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Matthew Jones is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I've never played an MMO before but I am interested in this game for the individual campaigns; probably the closest thing to Knights of the Old Republic that we'll see. How would the game be if played almost as a single-player game? Do the storylines stand up to Bioware's other games?
Old 01-28-2012, 08:27 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

The individual class stories are the best things that Bioware has ever done, not to mention every single quest in this game CAN be done with more than one person if you wanted to. Think KOTOR on a grander scale with much more to do so you're not pigeon holed.

If you want to play single player from 1 to 50, you absolutely can, but you'll be missing out on a lot.

Old 01-28-2012, 08:32 PM    (permalink
Bulldogs
All-Pro

Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bulldogs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm on the same boat as RavensOfProphecy, huge KOTOR fan, but no so much of MMOs. Debating whether or not to get this.
Old 01-29-2012, 10:43 PM    (permalink
wogitalia
Pro Bowler

wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If I had to describe this game I'd say it was KOTOR with MMO elements rather than an MMO with KOTOR elements.

So would totally recommend for those who liked the KOTOR and perhaps more relevantly Mass Effect(as it basically feels like ME in the Star Wars universe). You absolutely don't need to craft or group to do the storyline quests.

If anything my biggest "dislike" regarding the storyline is that there isn't a difficultly option and the combat is rather simple, they've certainly made the storyline quests considerably weaker than the general quests so that people can easily run through them but I personally wouldn't mind a bit more of a challenge, realistically you shouldn't die from the point where you have your first companion in storyline quests unless you really mess up or do something stupid.

So in short... KOTOR should love it, though the walking between places will probably **** you to tears.

Props to BK on the sig!
wogitalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 10:48 PM    (permalink
nepg
All-NFLDC

nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nepg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Jones View Post
I've never played an MMO before but I am interested in this game for the individual campaigns; probably the closest thing to Knights of the Old Republic that we'll see. How would the game be if played almost as a single-player game? Do the storylines stand up to Bioware's other games?
There are 8 different stories that really can be played completely solo if you wanted to. Each one might be slightly less time than your typical Bioware title.
Old 01-30-2012, 07:51 AM    (permalink
ImBrotherCain
SWDC Mafia
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by wogitalia View Post
If I had to describe this game I'd say it was KOTOR with MMO elements rather than an MMO with KOTOR elements.

So would totally recommend for those who liked the KOTOR and perhaps more relevantly Mass Effect(as it basically feels like ME in the Star Wars universe). You absolutely don't need to craft or group to do the storyline quests.

If anything my biggest "dislike" regarding the storyline is that there isn't a difficultly option and the combat is rather simple, they've certainly made the storyline quests considerably weaker than the general quests so that people can easily run through them but I personally wouldn't mind a bit more of a challenge, realistically you shouldn't die from the point where you have your first companion in storyline quests unless you really mess up or do something stupid.

So in short... KOTOR should love it, though the walking between places will probably **** you to tears.
I disagree... I towards the end of my story line a had a battle that took me at least 5 deaths to beat.

A common issue is that people (myself included) run though the planet quests and avoid the class line until you finish the majority of planet quests. You end up over leveling your class quests. It catches up to you later though.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:08 AM    (permalink
wogitalia
Pro Bowler

wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I disagree... I towards the end of my story line a had a battle that took me at least 5 deaths to beat.
I haven't got to the end of it yet(lvl 37 I believe) but I wouldn't say I've even been challenged yet on a class quest. I'm sure it may change. For what it's worth I basically haven't bothered with the vast majority of the group quests so for class quests I've basically been correctly or underleveled up to this point.

It probably depends greatly on your character choice and play style as well.

Props to BK on the sig!
Old 01-30-2012, 09:20 AM    (permalink
Damix
All-Pro

Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Looks like I'm going to have to RMA my gfx card as it crashes every time I start star wars right now.
Damix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:40 AM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ahhh. I've been so busy. I really haven't had the time to hop on the game lately. I is a sad panda.
Old 01-30-2012, 11:14 AM    (permalink
nepg
All-NFLDC

Ran an 8-man EV on Nightmare last night. Got the first two bosses down and the third bugged out.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:06 PM    (permalink
wogitalia
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Looks like I'm going to have to RMA my gfx card as it crashes every time I start star wars right now.
Is it actually crashing or just telling you it is not at optimal resoultion? There is a workaround for the resolution crap if it is just that...

Props to BK on the sig!
Old 01-30-2012, 09:11 PM    (permalink
Damix
All-Pro

Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wogitalia View Post
Is it actually crashing or just telling you it is not at optimal resoultion? There is a workaround for the resolution crap if it is just that...
My GFX drivers are crashing.
Damix is offline   Reply With Quote