Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > College Football

College Football Discuss College Football

Old 11-28-2011, 10:51 AM    (permalink
JHL6719
Veteran

JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You suddenly feel a little "healthier" when you're not having to coach against the Nick Saban's and Les Miles in the SEC.

He'll get his ass smoked against one of 'em in a BCS game in a few years anyway.
JHL6719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 10:54 AM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think it turned out he was healthier than he thought in his downtime as well. his health problems ended up not being heart related after all - plus i think taking time off wasn't just about his health but about spending time with his family as well. I would feel a lot better at $5.7M a year in my pocket too.
Old 11-28-2011, 10:59 AM    (permalink
Grizzlegom
Mr. Rogers
All-Pro

Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't think Meyer planned on coming back to coaching so soon. If you said to me when he retired that both the Penn State and Ohio State jobs would be open for him to choose from in a year, I'd have said you were crazy. When a job like that opens up, you take it. That's why I don't have any issues with this. Its not like Petrino or Saban that abandoned a team midseason to IMMEDIATELY go to another job.

sig by BoneKrusher
Grizzlegom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 11:21 AM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
Pro Bowler

JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabsoule View Post
Ohio State was one of Meyer's dream jobs. He took a year off after coaching for 10 straight years and then when this opportunity came up and OSU approached him he took it. There aren't many people that would turn down their dream job.
Exactly. The opportunities for any individual to do that in their lives are extremely rare. He had it and jumped on it.

BTW, I heard those same rumors (i.e. he likey the UF cheerleaders) as well.
JoeJoeBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 11:25 AM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
Pro Bowler

JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHL6719 View Post
You suddenly feel a little "healthier" when you're not having to coach against the Nick Saban's and Les Miles in the SEC.

He'll get his ass smoked against one of 'em in a BCS game in a few years anyway.
Excellent troll. I give 200 slack jaw points for the troll and a fifteen dollar credit for a fresh pair of jorts for your persistent trolling efforts.
Old 11-28-2011, 11:25 AM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzlegom View Post
I don't think Meyer planned on coming back to coaching so soon. If you said to me when he retired that both the Penn State and Ohio State jobs would be open for him to choose from in a year, I'd have said you were crazy. When a job like that opens up, you take it. That's why I don't have any issues with this. Its not like Petrino or Saban that abandoned a team midseason to IMMEDIATELY go to another job.
Agree with this assessment. It's not like he retired with the knowledge that his dream job would be open the following year.
Old 11-28-2011, 11:47 AM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
Pro Bowler

Good news for Fickell?
Old 11-28-2011, 12:23 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Happy for Meyer and Ohio State. Match made in Heaven.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 12:24 PM    (permalink
ryno626
Rookie

ryno626 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ryno626 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ryno626 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ryno626 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ryno626 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ryno626 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ryno626 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ryno626 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ryno626 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ryno626 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ryno626 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

maybe his family was starting to get on his nerves
ryno626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 12:27 PM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryno626 View Post
maybe his family was starting to get on his nerves
LOL! Good point. Got tired of his wife bossing him around.
Old 11-28-2011, 12:32 PM    (permalink
Complex
All-Pro

Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth Criminal View Post
I really don't see anything wrong with it. I would have if he hadn't taken a year off, or if it was planned hed go to Ohio State when he retired. When Tressel stepped down, it opened up what is probably Meyers dream job, and who know when he would have had an opportunity like this again had he not taken it now. If OSU made another hire Meyer probably wouldn't have gotten an offer from the school ever again.
His dream job is actually ND. Anyways he didn't even spend time with family according his daughter, he was to busy working at ESPN. He probably got bored at Florida or his wife made him quit because of cheating(rumors). Sucks to be a Big 10 coach its over bow to you new overlord.

Last edited by Complex : 11-28-2011 at 12:35 PM.
Complex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 01:11 PM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Complex View Post
His dream job is actually ND. Anyways he didn't even spend time with family according his daughter, he was to busy working at ESPN. He probably got bored at Florida or his wife made him quit because of cheating(rumors). Sucks to be a Big 10 coach its over bow to you new overlord.
His dream job isn't ND. He has a wall sized portrait of Woody Hayes in his basement, he coached at OSU, and he got his masters at OSU.

He had the chance to take the ND job and he didn't.
Old 11-28-2011, 01:23 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Why would the wife make him quit and then not care when he took a new job? Are there no hot cheerleaders at Ohio State? If he gets divorced soon then I'd believe that.

He didn't take the ND job because the administration wouldn't let him loosen up on some athletes academic requirements.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 01:31 PM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post
Why would the wife make him quit and then not care when he took a new job? Are there no hot cheerleaders at Ohio State? If he gets divorced soon then I'd believe that.

He didn't take the ND job because the administration wouldn't let him loosen up on some athletes academic requirements.
I can without reservations say that there are no hot cheerleaders or dance team members at Michigan. I almost puked when they kept showing them Saturday. Disgusting and embarrassing for UM.

Dunno about Meyer's reasons for quitting. I've heard various things, from boinking a cheerleader to Foley royally pissing him off. Sometimes you just get burnt out doing a difficult job.

In addition to the slightly more difficult academic requirements (they aren't as high as ND fans try to tell the rest of us) he probably also denied ND because not many kids worth a crap grow up wanting to play for ND. The school lost it's cachet long ago and it's performances aren't winning over this generation either. They used to be one of the only national programs, but that isn't true anymore.
Old 11-28-2011, 01:32 PM    (permalink
georgiafan
Pro Bowler

georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.georgiafan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

There is a reason they have been calling him Urban Lyer you can't believe anything he says
Old 11-28-2011, 01:50 PM    (permalink
Smooth Criminal
All-NFLDC

Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 View Post

There is honestly only one hot cheerleader. Trust me, two live in the apartment next to me.

Thanks to The Dynasty for the sig
Smooth Criminal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 01:52 PM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth Criminal View Post
There is honestly only one hot cheerleader. Trust me, two live in the apartment next to me.
Yeah, I've never been a fan of college cheerleaders in general. Most are really short, have little boobs and big thighs. Looks are secondary.

But the dance team at Michigan was TERRIBLE. Fat piggies with fat piggy faces.
Old 11-28-2011, 01:54 PM    (permalink
JHL6719
Veteran

JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJoeBrown View Post
Excellent troll. I give 200 slack jaw points for the troll and a fifteen dollar credit for a fresh pair of jorts for your persistent trolling efforts.

You have to admit though... the ultimate troll job would be if Saban had a mean streak in him like Spurrier does, Saban would have his agent contact Urban Meyer's agent to help him nail down the Penn St. job as a joke...

..Meyer just might quit again. :^)

I kid...I kid... Little 10 pressure is nothing like the pressure cooker of the SEC. I think Meyer can handle this one.

Either way, perhaps Meyer can keep Ohio St.'s long standing tradition of losing to the SEC in big games firmly intact.
JHL6719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 01:57 PM    (permalink
Complex
All-Pro

Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Complex is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
His dream job isn't ND. He has a wall sized portrait of Woody Hayes in his basement, he coached at OSU, and he got his masters at OSU.

He had the chance to take the ND job and he didn't.
Quote:
" Four years after spurning Notre Dame to take over the Florida Gators program, Coach Urban Meyer called the Fighting Irish "still my dream job; that hasn't changed" on a South Florida radio show on Wednesday.

"Once my kids are done, maybe some day I'll go coach there," Meyer told 560 WQAM. "I don't know that. That's way down the road. Being a father and being able to recruit the best athletes in America within a 5-hour radius of my home, that's why I came to Florida. I thought we could have a great chance at success."
Quote:
If you donít believe Meyer, well, take a gander at the quote itself, which came from an interview he did with South Florida radio station 560 WQAM, via the ORLANDO SENTINEL: ď(coaching Notre Dame is) still my dream job; that hasnít changedĒ
http://sportsbybrooks.com/urban-meye...ream-job-21333

http://blogs.suntimes.com/sportspros...b_is_stil.html
Um yeah it is
Old 11-28-2011, 02:04 PM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHL6719 View Post
You have to admit though... the ultimate troll job would be if Saban had a mean streak in him like Spurrier does, Saban would have his agent contact Urban Meyer's agent to help him nail down the Penn St. job as a joke...

..Meyer just might quit again. :^)

I kid...I kid... Little 10 pressure is nothing like the pressure cooker of the SEC. I think Meyer can handle this one.

Either way, perhaps Meyer can keep Ohio St.'s long standing tradition of losing to the SEC in big games firmly intact.
I agree with the pressure in the Big10 being less than the SEC. However, there aren't many higher pressure jobs than OSU.
Old 11-28-2011, 02:35 PM    (permalink
robert pancake gallery
Veteran

robert pancake gallery is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.robert pancake gallery is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.robert pancake gallery is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.robert pancake gallery is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.robert pancake gallery is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.robert pancake gallery is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.robert pancake gallery is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.robert pancake gallery is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.robert pancake gallery is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.robert pancake gallery is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.robert pancake gallery is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

isn't this the same ervin myers that just coached the florida gators to a national championship? LOL

robert pancake gallery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 03:14 PM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
Pro Bowler

Here's to you, Corch.
Old 11-28-2011, 03:26 PM    (permalink
sbh15
2010 NFL Mock Draft Champ
All-Pro

sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sbh15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I like the hire.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that people are whining like little babies about Meyer going back into coaching after a year off.

I mean, a year off to recharge and the job that you've dreamed about since you were a kid falls into your lap while getting paid $5.8M per year is something that you should definitely not take.

Yeah, it's high pressure. Yeah, it's going to be stressful. Hopefully he's figured out a bit more about how to balance life and work.

The whining is definitely bringing me additional joy to the news of the hire.

He'd be an idiot to pass it up. Life doesn't always go according to plan. Any of you babies crying about him would do the same damn thing if you were in his shoes.
here's our resident elitist big 10 fan. i seem to remember you being pretty critical of urban's handling of team arrests/suspensions not too long ago. singing a different tune now that he's you head coach, huh? aren't you scared about what meyer and his walking thug squad might do to the glorious ohio state's reputation?

by the way, i don't care that meyer took the job, as i've said several times. all i've said is that he's a lying scumbag. i hardly think that you can argue that point.
sbh15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 03:41 PM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbh15 View Post
here's our resident elitist big 10 fan. i seem to remember you being pretty critical of urban's handling of team arrests/suspensions not too long ago. singing a different tune now that he's you head coach, huh? aren't you scared about what meyer and his walking thug squad might do to the glorious ohio state's reputation?

by the way, i don't care that meyer took the job, as i've said several times. all i've said is that he's a lying scumbag. i hardly think that you can argue that point.
I am flattered that you think I'm elitist :)

FWIW, I think Urban is medium dirty. Much worse than Tressel, whom I don't even think was that dirty, especially compared to every other successful CFB coach (another FWIW, I said JT should have been fired/resigned for his role in not reporting tatgate).

I worry that Meyer is going to get OSU into more trouble while under FTM probation which would mean bowl bans and major scholarship reductions. Particularly with recruits that are sketchy.

I think he talks out of both sides of his mouth. He talked up loving UF while having an out in his contract for UM, ND, and OSU. He made insane promises/lies to recruits at UF. He looked the other way while a bunch of players were getting into minor-medium serious trouble.

But most of all, I worry that Meyer is going to mail it in after a season or two of insane OSU fans bugging him everywhere.

I worry that his offense isn't as special as it used to be now that everyone has seen it for almost 10 years. I worry that Luke Fickell is going to be DC and is going to bring the same soft brand of defense that Heacock employed.

I think it's a good hire, but I have big reservations due to those reasons.

I can't help but laugh at the angst it's causing UF fans. He gave you guys two freaking NCs in the few years he coached there. Much better than the Old Ball Coach, but you guys seem to love that rat more than Meyer.
Old 11-28-2011, 03:49 PM    (permalink
49erNation85
All-Pro

49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49erNation85 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He is still a big douche for leaving Florida on how he handled it. Stating on how much his Health and Family meant to him... LA LA LA is all we heard about for a whole season . Just pathetic if you ask me. He is offense is nothing to talk about yes he put up big numbers and brought in some big talent for Florida. I hope he enjoys a wuss out conference he is n now with OSU . More reason for me hate that school...