Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > College Football

College Football Discuss College Football

Old 12-04-2011, 10:17 PM    (permalink
ElectricEye
Icon

ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ElectricEye is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrdrylie View Post
No I won't be. My college is playing a basketball game that night and I'll be down in Deland, Florida watching it. But if it was LSU-Oklahoma State, I would be watching that instead.
Casual.

ten characters plus kidding, sort of

R.I.P. Junior Seau

Last edited by ElectricEye : 12-04-2011 at 10:20 PM.
ElectricEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 11:04 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The biggest thing that could've happened for a playoff push was Alabama playing for the national championship.

If you would have an 8 team playoff the pairings would've been this:
LSU vs. K-State, Alabama vs. Boise St., Oklahoma St. vs. Arkansas, Stanford vs. Oregon

Brackets being this:

1. LSU vs 8. Kansas State
4. Stanford vs 5. Oregon

2. Alabama vs. 7. Boise State
3. Oklahoma State 6. Arkansas

1, 2, 3, and 4 team locations based on current BCS selection process with special consideration given to the Rose to take their selection of the Pac12 or Big Ten conference champion.

So there you would have:
1) LSU vs Kansas State in the Orange Bowl
2) Alabama vs Boise State in the Sugar Bowl
3) Stanford vs Oregon in the Rose Bowl
4) Oklahoma State vs Arkansas in the Fiesta Bowl

Winners advance to the bowl games based on conference tie-in's.

National championship game in the Cotton Bowl.

After the inaugural season the Cotton Bowl becomes a regular rotation in the BCS Bowl games so that there are 5 games played in non

How is that not compelling?

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:
www.saturdaynightslant.com

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/LaSportsDude

Last edited by diabsoule : 12-04-2011 at 11:18 PM.
diabsoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 11:12 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think 8 teams is too much. I'm normally ok with the BCS. It didn't work this year, but I'd never want to do more than 4 teams.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 11:19 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think 8 teams is just right but I'd be fine with a +1 as it works with the current BCS formula

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter
Old 12-04-2011, 11:27 PM    (permalink
JHL6719
Veteran

JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The SEC already proposed a +1 playoff and the other conferences wanted no part of it.

The problem you'll run into with playoffs is that they'll keep wanting to expand the number of teams in it. It's what happens when you introduce a playoff format. It happened in NCAA basketball, FCS football playoffs, etc... they just keep expanding.

Before you know it, you'll have teams with 7-5 records getting into the playoffs.
JHL6719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 11:32 PM    (permalink
Sloopy
Pro Bowler

Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sloopy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHL6719 View Post
The SEC already proposed a +1 playoff and the other conferences wanted no part of it.

The problem you'll run into with playoffs is that they'll keep wanting to expand the number of teams in it. It's what happens when you introduce a playoff format. It happened in NCAA basketball, FCS football playoffs, etc... they just keep expanding.

Before you know it, you'll have teams with 7-5 records getting into the playoffs.
I have to agree with JHL here, while I disagree with the outcome of the BCS this year, I do rather like the normal "every game matters" aspect of college football.

The system itself needs to be reworked but I'm not really sure I would want a playoff. It makes the regular season more competitive, even if this year it didn't work out that way.

I PITY THE FOOL WHO DON'T BELIEVE ME
BK sig is straight sex
THE Ohio State University Buckeyes
Baltimore Ravens
Cleveland Cavaliers
Cleveland Indians
Chelsea FC
Quote:
Originally Posted by keylime_5 View Post
Miller is visual sex on the field.
Sloopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 11:40 PM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
All-Pro

JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Agree with JHL. The playoffs will start small and then get large and watered down.

And the SEC was pro +1. The biggest obstacle to a playoff right now is delaney. That jackass is blocking the move for some reason. The b1G honcho has a gigantic ego. Hopefully when he is out after next year the b1g moves out of the stone ages in its thinking.
JoeJoeBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 11:45 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

I know playoffs keep expanding but I can see the BCS, if you keep it the formula you use to determine the top teams, keeping it in check.

The plus with college football is that it can only go on so long. You have to keep it at a minimal amount of games. Basically the only realistic amount of games in a playoff you can play is 4, which would be a 16 system. To keep it legitimate to allow the most competitive of teams it would be an 8 team system.

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter
Old 12-05-2011, 12:11 AM    (permalink
jrdrylie
All-NFLDC

jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Diabsoule, I like the way you are thinking with the playoffs. But any playoff that doesn't include the conference champions of every league is just as unfair as the current BCS system. Make it a 16-team playoff with five at larger teams.

1. LSU vs. 16. Louisiana Tech
8. Wisconsin vs. 9. Kansas State
5. Oregon vs. 12. West Virginia
4. Stanford vs. 13. Southern Mississippi
6. Arkansas vs. 11. TCU
3. Oklahoma State vs. 14. Arkansas State
7. Boise State vs. 10. Clemson
2. Alabama vs. 15. Northern Illinois

First two rounds are home games for the higher seeded team. For the Final Four, you do a rotation with the current BCS. For example, this year maybe the Orange and Rose Bowls host the Final Four. Fiesta Bowl hosts the consolation match. And Sugar Bowl hosts the Championship Game. As for the other bowl games. They can still be played by teams not in the playoff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidGold View Post
Bortlezzzzzzz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monomach View Post
Brilliant letting one of Scott Pioli's henchmen have his own team to ruin.  One of the premier GM jobs in the NFL and it gets handed to a stupid **** who makes three facepalm moves for every good one.  Awesome.  Just like handing a new Mercedes to a 16 year old girl who's already been in three wrecks. 
jrdrylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 01:13 AM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrdrylie View Post
Diabsoule, I like the way you are thinking with the playoffs. But any playoff that doesn't include the conference champions of every league is just as unfair as the current BCS system. Make it a 16-team playoff with five at larger teams.

1. LSU vs. 16. Louisiana Tech
8. Wisconsin vs. 9. Kansas State
5. Oregon vs. 12. West Virginia
4. Stanford vs. 13. Southern Mississippi
6. Arkansas vs. 11. TCU
3. Oklahoma State vs. 14. Arkansas State
7. Boise State vs. 10. Clemson
2. Alabama vs. 15. Northern Illinois

First two rounds are home games for the higher seeded team. For the Final Four, you do a rotation with the current BCS. For example, this year maybe the Orange and Rose Bowls host the Final Four. Fiesta Bowl hosts the consolation match. And Sugar Bowl hosts the Championship Game. As for the other bowl games. They can still be played by teams not in the playoff.
You're proposal is eerily similar to the proposal of Dan Wetzel

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter
Old 12-05-2011, 11:30 AM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

Here's what some of the human voters did in the Harris poll, which is part of the BCS formula:

Oddest Harris Poll ballot might be former Iowa SID George Wine: Houston at 5, Oklahoma State at 6.
Six Harrisites had Michigan in the top 9. Llloyd Carr was one of them.
Tony Collins and Doug Plank ranked Oklahoma 10th.
Every Harris Poll voter who had Oklahoma State below No. 3 also had Alabama at No. 2.
Six Harris Poll voters had Boise State 10th or worse, including -- wait for it -- Roy Kramer. He had Boise 10, UGa 11
30 of 114 Harrisites voted Va Tech out of BCS at-large eligibility.
Only two Harris Poll voters had Alabama lower than 3rd on their ballots.
Harris Poll voters who voted OKState 6th (6th!): Bob Wagner, George Wine, Derrick Mayes .
Former Notre Dame WR Derrick Mayes voted OK St #6 in his Harris ballot and had L'ville & Rutgers #22 and #23.
Former SEC Commish Roy Kramer voted 5 SEC teams in his top 11 on his Harris ballot.
Derrick Mayes has Auburn (18) and Georgia unranked. UGa has three more wins and beat the Tigers 45-7
Harris Poll voter Tony Jones has South Carolina No. 9 and Arkansas No. 18
Former Miami and Kentucky head coach Fran Curci has South Carolina No. 6 and Arkansas No. 16.
Rich Brooks has South Carolina ranked No. 5 and Arkansas ranked No. 7.
Craig James Award for Harris: Ex-ND WR Derrick Mayes hands down: OSU #6, OU #9, Auburn #18, K-State #19, UGA unranked.

You can view all of the Harris poll votes here:
http://www.harrisinteractive.com/vau...Dec_4_2011.pdf

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter
Old 12-05-2011, 12:00 PM    (permalink
jrdrylie
All-NFLDC

jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabsoule View Post
You're proposal is eerily similar to the proposal of Dan Wetzel
Yeah, it is almost identical. I've been pushing this playoff idea since 2004. Back then, I thought that we should create 10 12-team conference (abolishing the Sun Belt). Every conference has a conference championship game, the winner getting in and then 6 at large teams. If a team like Notre Dame doesn't want to go to a conference, then they have to earn an at larger berth.

Looking back, all that realignment would be a bit severe. But I still believe in my (and Wetzel's) playoff proposal. Every team in every conference has a chance. Every game still matters, but one loss doesn't destroy you. The bowl games still happen. Athletic departments still make a **** load of money. And it would cut out almost all the controversy of who is really number one. I seriously can't understand why college presidents don't get behind something like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidGold View Post
Bortlezzzzzzz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monomach View Post
Brilliant letting one of Scott Pioli's henchmen have his own team to ruin.  One of the premier GM jobs in the NFL and it gets handed to a stupid **** who makes three facepalm moves for every good one.  Awesome.  Just like handing a new Mercedes to a 16 year old girl who's already been in three wrecks. 
jrdrylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 12:00 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

There's far more intra-SEC loyalty than there is in any other conference. Everyone in the SEC seems to be completely unaware that football exists anywhere else.

Old 12-05-2011, 12:47 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
There's far more intra-SEC loyalty than there is in any other conference. Everyone in the SEC seems to be completely unaware that football exists anywhere else.
This and now that Alabama is facing LSU in the NCG SEC homers are coming out of the woodwork and this is coming from an LSU fan.

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter
Old 12-05-2011, 12:51 PM    (permalink
JRTPlaya21
All-Pro

JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

A plus 1 type of system going forward with the top 4 teams would probably be the best thing for the future. Why everyone is trying to argue this beats me. Especially posters coming out of left field lol. I think I'm the only person that wants Bama to win more for what I dealt with in April and May.

#2 Duke Blue Devils (10-0)
2010 National Champions!!
2014 Coaches vs Cancer Champions

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sO4iMIahsAs
JRTPlaya21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 01:11 PM    (permalink
JHL6719
Veteran

JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
This and now that Alabama is facing LSU in the NCG SEC homers are coming out of the woodwork and this is coming from an LSU fan.
Like I said, I'd want to play Oklahoma St. too if I were an LSU fan.

It's going to be a war once again when LSU has to beat Alabama for that national title... and if they do, they'll be one of the most deserving champions that have ever been crowned in college football.

Far more deserving than another blowout had Oklahoma St. been put in there as a sacrificial lamb.

LSU fans can say whatever they want, but I know that they know this is the truth.
Old 12-05-2011, 01:14 PM    (permalink
JHL6719
Veteran

Quote:

We're aware it exists elsewhere, just that it's not quite up to the same standard.

No matter how many times you beat it into 'em on the field, it seems like it's the other side that has difficulty dealing with reality.
Old 12-05-2011, 01:18 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

Quote:
Like I said, I'd want to play Oklahoma St. too if I were an LSU fan.

It's going to be a war once again when LSU has to beat Alabama for that national title... and if they do, they'll be one of the most deserving champions that have ever been crowned in college football.

Far more deserving than another blowout had Oklahoma St. been put in there as a sacrificial lamb.

LSU fans can say whatever they want, but I know that they know this is the truth.
Yeah, it'll be a war. I know it will. It was the first time. It's a rivalry game, those type of games always are wars of attrition.

I want Okie State because I don't feel there should be a re-match against a team that LSU has already defeated on their own turf.

Matching up Oklahoma State would have prevented a lot of this bitching and moaning from local and national media and Alabama would have still been #2 if LSU would have beat Okie St in the national championship.

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter

Last edited by diabsoule : 12-05-2011 at 01:48 PM.
Old 12-05-2011, 01:30 PM    (permalink
JHL6719
Veteran

Quote:
Yeah, it'll be a war. I know it will. It was the first time. It's a rivalry game, those type of games always are wars of attrition.

I want Okie State because I don't feel there should be a re-match against a team that LSU has already defeated on their own turf.

Matching up Oklahoma State would have prevented a lot of this bitching and moaning from local and national media and Alabama would have still be #2 if LSU would have beat Okie St in the national championship.

This I agree with, because I'd feel the exact same way if Alabama had won.

However, beyond that I'm a firm believer that the two best teams should be playing for the title, and I'm a firm believer that the two best teams will.
Old 12-05-2011, 02:00 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

Quote:
No matter how many times you beat it into 'em on the field, it seems like it's the other side that has difficulty dealing with reality.
From just this year:

-Boise State beat Georgia
-Florida State beat Florida
-Louisville beat Kentucky
-Clemson beat Auburn
-BYU beat Ole Miss
-La Tech beat Ole Miss

Last year in the bowls:
-North Carolina beat Tennessee
-Central Florida beat Georgia
-Ohio State beat Arkansas
-Florida State beat South Carolina
-Pittsburgh beat Kentucky

Look, I've said before that the SEC is clearly the best football conference, but it has become very beatable, especially when you get past the top 2 teams. You're obviously an Alabama fan, and my guess is that you've probably never left your mobile park, so I'll give you a bit of a pass.

Old 12-05-2011, 02:31 PM    (permalink
JHL6719
Veteran

Quote:
From just this year:

-Clemson beat Auburn
-BYU beat Ole Miss
-La Tech beat Ole Miss

Last year in the bowls:

Look, I've said before that the SEC is clearly the best football conference, but it has become very beatable, especially when you get past the top 2 teams. You're obviously an Alabama fan, and my guess is that you've probably never left your mobile park, so I'll give you a bit of a pass.

You'd probably be surprised where I've been, but it was a nice try at a bait.... :^)

Might want to tie on a different lure...
Old 12-05-2011, 05:53 PM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
All-Pro

JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
From just this year:

-Clemson beat Auburn
-BYU beat Ole Miss
-La Tech beat Ole Miss

Last year in the bowls:

Yep the SEC is the best, but the gap isn't great this year. There are two very good teams this year and a bunch of meh. And the good teams are of the oversigning variety.

The trailer park joke was a bit over the top, IMO. JHL has definitely gone full ****** on the whole "ESS EEE SEEE SPEEDZZZ" bit and is completely a homer about Bama, but he posts intelligently outside of that. There are plenty of trailer park fans from all conferences on this site, but he is not one of them.

And face it, until other conferences start winning the BCS champ games, they are all going to have to deal with the SEC stuff.

And that's not going to happen very often unless the NCAA forces the SEC to start ensuring their players attend and actually pass classes (and are also literate), don't get paid, and aren't oversigning.

It's either that or the other conferences are going to have to stop pretending that they are worried about academics, and not paying, and oversigning.

Because almost all schools have players that get paid and they all help them in class. They just aren't as shameless about it as the football factories in the SEC. It is hypocritical to chastise the SEC about academics and paid players when almost every school is guilty, but just not to the degree.

It's cheating either way, the schools just not a very good job of it when they aren't paying hundreds of thousands of dollars for the best players.

The biggest difference is that most schools do not oversign.

The game is becoming professionalized. Do we want to continue to pretend that it's not? The SEC was revolutionized when Saban started the mercenary oversigning tactics at LSU. Is it a coincidence that they started becoming a good football team at that time?

The SEC West has engaged in it ruthlessly now and they are the best conference in CFB (the SEC East does not, and they are a normal, if not good conference). They are separate entities IMO.

Regardless, as I've stated many times before, I think oversigning is complete bullcrap. And until the NCAA bans it, those schools that choose to participate are going to have a huge advantage. There is no denying that getting 20-25 extra players over a 4 year period is a HUGE advantage. That's a whole lot of missed recruits and fluke injuries that are erased.

The debate needs to be about whether oversigning is something that should or shouldn't exist.

I think it sucks and it has nothing to do with the B1G not doing it. It is a very ruthless practice to bring a kid to college and then cut his scholarship because he's not as good of a football player as you hoped.

Last edited by JoeJoeBrown : 12-05-2011 at 05:57 PM.
Old 12-05-2011, 06:36 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

I hate the South and everything about it; I don't pretend to be even mildly objective about that.

Old 12-05-2011, 06:53 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

Quote:
I hate the South and everything about it; I don't pretend to be even mildly objective about that.
You've made that quite obvious in previous posts but, for the most part, SEC fans do live up to their stereotypes.

But I do have to ask: why do you have the South so vehemently?

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter
Old 12-05-2011, 07:53 PM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
All-Pro

Quote:
You've made that quite obvious in previous posts but, for the most part, SEC fans do live up to their stereotypes.

But I do have to ask: why do you have the South so vehemently?
He lost his father early on in the War of Southern Aggression. It was reported that his father took cannon shot at the Battle of Fort Sumter but it has since been revealed that he died from an out of control case of syphilis contracted from imported Chinese whoores.

T'was a difficult time when bear was a child, being the only male in the house and losing his father at age ten. The family business was left in shambles after his father's death revealed that he owed an enormous sum of money to the bank after a failed steamboat/brothel venture. In order to make ends meet he tried his hand at tap dancing for handouts, but that was a short lived venture as there was only mud to dance on in his small town's main square.

He eventually tried his hand at basketweaving, but that was short lived as well, with him having thumb fingers and all.

As he bounced from odd job to odd job (bar back, midget wrestler, prostitute, bricklayer, bouncer, jizz mopper, roustabout, and more) failing at them all, he eventually found one thing that he was good at, espousing the knowledge of liberal arts, as that really required no skill at all.

So to this day he looks back in anger at Johnny Reb for robbing him of his childhood and the right to earn a living doing a job that isn't indignifying.

Last edited by JoeJoeBrown : 12-05-2011 at 07:55 PM.