Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2014 NFL Draft Forum

2014 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2014 NFL Draft

View Poll Results: With the First Pick of the 2012 NFL Draft the Indianapolis Colts...
Trade down to get more picks 9 33.33%
Select Andrew Luck Quarterback from Stanford 10 37.04%
Select Andrew Luck Quarterback from Stanford...and trade Peyton Manning 5 18.52%
Trade down to get more picks and select another quarterback 3 11.11%
Pick someone other than Andrew Luck 0 0%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-07-2011, 11:25 PM    (permalink
BaLLiN
2014 Mock Draft Champion
All-Pro

BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BaLLiN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Peyton, Luck & the Colts

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shu...rn=nfl-wp13373

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slu...nning_qb120711

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahoo Sports
"I don't think it'd necessarily be great for either one," Manning the elder [ARCHIE] told Fox Sports Radio. "I think Andrew's the type of mature player ... he can walk right in. I mean, these other three or four [rookie passers] that are playing this year, [if] they can walk in and contribute, Andrew can, too.
"We know Andrew well. He comes down to our camp every year. I used to play with his dad [Oliver, as Houston Oilers quarterbacks in 1982-83]. ... I'm in New York, I heard from him last night.
"Peyton's also tried to help Andrew and kind of be a friend. I doubt if either one want to play on the same team."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archie Manning
"Well, I'm just saying that I don't know, but what I do know about Andrew Luck. I think the world of him, and I'm thinking of the Cam Newtons and Blaine Gabberts and Andy Daltons, who are able to walk right into the NFL and play and perform," Manning the elder said on Wednesday's "Mike & Mike" ESPN Radio program. "I think that group of rookies have played very well, and there's certainly no reason to think that Andrew Luck can't do the same thing.
Quote:
That's not the only concern for the Colts. Albert Breer of the NFL Network spoke to one NFL scout in October who hypothesized that it wouldn't be out of the question for Oliver Luck to orchestrate a repeat of the 2004 draft.
"There's no question that it could be a Manning thing all over again," the scout told Breer. "Some people know the dad well, and the hands-on approach he has. In Andrew's defense, he seems pretty in control of everything. So I could see it being a mutual decision. And if he can control it, why play behind a [crappy] offensive line, or in a bad situation? He's gonna have that control. If he doesn't like the team there, all he has to do is voice that, and there'll be teams looking to trade up.
Quote:
For all that the Colts have done for Manning and that Manning has done for the Colts, Archie Manning would be wise to stay out of the whole mess. It was one thing when Archie played hardball with the San Diego Chargers in 2004, forcing the Chargers to deal his younger son Eli to the New York Giants. It’s another thing to put a crowbar between Peyton and the Colts.

Now...Manning is due for 28 million dollars to start the 2012 season (might make him untradeable to other teams). Under rookie payscale, Luck could probably be picked and signed by the colts without having problems making cap. The only problem with that is, why have two starting calbier QB's and only be able to use one? The picks that the Colts could get in a trade for Luck could revitalize their franchise and Manning could last for another 3-4 years, right?

No matter how much scouts whisper sweet nothings about Andrew Luck, he is still unproven, and more importantly he is NOT Peyton Manning. Peyton Manning knows this offense, he's practically the OC. He brought this team just 2 years ago to the Superbowl, yet now without him they are about to go 0-16. He cannot be replaced, at least not immediately.

As most of us feel, your team is only going to go as your quarterback takes them. There are some discrepancies, but the teams that make it far in the playoffs have great quarterbacks.

If Indianapolis chooses to trade away their pick and neglect the quarterback position, they might find themselves with more seasons like this 2011 season. Manning's health still should be questioned, and even if he holds up for a few more years, is there a prospect out there of Luck's caliber?

Sig by BK <3

Jerry Reese is sooo Dreamy <3333

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper's Rep Comment
I ****** hate you, stupid *** smd
Greatest. Rep. Comment. EVER! You're not 12 or anything.
Philadelphia, the city of brotherly love (:

Last edited by BaLLiN : 12-07-2011 at 11:30 PM.
BaLLiN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 12:17 AM    (permalink
descendency
All-Pro

descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.descendency is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

They can't trade Peyton. His contract would penalize them 38 million dollars in dead cap room. They would have to cut him before the new league year.

edit: The new league year starts on March 1st (or there about) and the draft is around April. So, they'd have to cut Manning well before the draft.

The Colts need Manning to restructure his deal to trade him.

The Colts won't let a #1 overall pick sit for 2 years; that seems stupid to me.

I think unless the Colts are willing to cut Manning for Luck, then they will have to trade the pick for more picks. If they are willing to cut Manning, then all bets are off on what they will do.
Old 12-08-2011, 12:35 AM    (permalink
soybean
All-Pro

soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I can't decide if I would select Andrew Luck the quarterback from standford and keep him or if I would select Andrew Luck the quarterback from stanford and trade him.

I dont know... what would the rest of you do if you were the colts? Would you select andrew luck quarterback from stanford and keep him or select andrew luck quarterback from stanford and trade him?

I'm curious as to what Andrew Luck quarterback from stanford would want for himself. There's a lot to think about if you are Andrew Luck quarterback from stanford.

Last edited by soybean : 12-08-2011 at 12:37 AM.
soybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 01:17 AM    (permalink
TitansCJftw
Veteran

TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitansCJftw is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soybean View Post
Andrew Luck the quarterback from standford Andrew Luck the quarterback from stanford andrew luck quarterback from stanford andrew luck quarterback from stanford Andrew Luck quarterback from stanford Andrew Luck quarterback from stanford.
No idea wat else was said...?
Old 12-08-2011, 01:54 AM    (permalink
Halsey
Pro Bowler

Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Halsey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Colts are going to select Luck. The only real question is where Peyton will be next season.
Old 12-08-2011, 02:10 AM    (permalink
Scotty D
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Scotty D is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Draft Luck and let everything else fall in to place. The roster does have a lot of holes that Manning covers up with his play but they can't pass up this opportunity.

sig by BoneKrusher
Scotty D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 02:46 AM    (permalink
RaiderNation
All-NFLDC

RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

There is a chance Peyton gets traded to a team like Washington or Miami, but I'd say I am 99% sure Luck will be the #1 pick. The Colts would only trade Luck if they were to get a few 1st round picks and a elite player at another position.

Maybe Bill Cowher will go to Miami and try to win now by bringing in Manning to go with a top 10 defense. They have solid weapons on offense and the oline is much better than the Colts currently.

The Colts could get the Dolphins top 10 pick and use it on defense, maybe Morris Claiborne or maybe try to add a weapon for Luck like Trent Richardson or Justin Blackmon. It is a win/win situation for both teams IMO and would be great for the draft process...

Welcome to the Silver & Mack
"Just Win Baby"
- Al Davis
@SirStackAlot707

RaiderNation is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 05:44 AM    (permalink
boknows34
Veteran

boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderNation View Post
There is a chance Peyton gets traded to a team like Washington or Miami, but I'd say I am 99% sure Luck will be the #1 pick. The Colts would only trade Luck if they were to get a few 1st round picks and a elite player at another position.

Maybe Bill Cowher will go to Miami and try to win now by bringing in Manning to go with a top 10 defense. They have solid weapons on offense and the oline is much better than the Colts currently.

The Colts could get the Dolphins top 10 pick and use it on defense, maybe Morris Claiborne or maybe try to add a weapon for Luck like Trent Richardson or Justin Blackmon. It is a win/win situation for both teams IMO and would be great for the draft process...
The Colts cannot trade Manning without first paying him a $28m roster bonus at the end of February. Trading Manning would also eat $38.8m in dead cap space for the 2012 season. The Colts would effectively be paying Manning $28m and taking a massive cap hit just for him to walk away to another team, and have the chance to sign a Claiborne/Richardson/Blackmon type prospect to pair with Luck.

That would leave them with no option but to slash the rest of the roster. Wayne, Saturday and Mathis are all UFAs and would not be re-signed. Clark, Brackett and Freeney may have to be cap casualties too with all that deadweight cap money. (Brackett is getting cut anyway with Angerer replacing him). Would that extra draft pick or two for trading Peyton be worth having to first pay him $28m, inflict cap misery and seeing the rest of their good players walk out the door? Nope.

Edit: Just found out that if Manning is released before the deadline it would save the Colts approximately $6.6 million toward the 2012 salary cap and over $35m in cash. Manning’s cap hit would drop from $17 million (with $35.4 million actually paid out to him because of the bonus plus salary) down to $10.4 million if he's cut before the deadline.

Last edited by boknows34 : 12-08-2011 at 07:31 AM.
boknows34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 10:02 AM    (permalink
critesy
All-Pro

critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.critesy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

yeah but this one has a poll.

RIP, Sean Taylor.
critesy is offline   Reply With Quote