Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2014 NFL Draft Forum

2014 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2014 NFL Draft

Old 12-24-2012, 03:56 AM    (permalink
stlouisfan37
Veteran

stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.stlouisfan37 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I am sure there are a lot of guys from the past, but I decided just to look at this past draft.

Hits

I really liked TY Hilton last year. I thought that with his speed and athleticism he would translate better to the pro game more than a lot of people. I don't think many people saw his production coming; it hasn't surprised me at all.

Robert Turbin - Everyone was so big on Chris Polk and Doug Martin, and no one was giving Turbin much love. While Martin has proven to be everything he was advertised, Polk has done nothing and Turbin has been a very dependable backup to one of the league's top rushers. If Lynch was not ahead of him in Seattle I think Turbin could have easily put up 800 yards and 6 TD's this year. Not bad for a 4th rounder.

Isaiah Pead - I'm calling this a hit because I didn't think much of his game, and he has disappointed miserably in St. Louis. I was actually very angry that the Rams took him over Turbin, even though I saw the reasoning behind taking a smaller, quicker back. Their 7th round pick, Daryl Richardson from Abilene Christian, has proven thus far to be a better player.

Misses

Brandon Weeden - While there were so many skeptics about Weeden, I thought he was better than he has been. I took the stance that just because he was almost 30 didn't take away from the fact that he could still be really good for 5-7 years. While he has put up decent numbers, and has definitely been an upgrade over McCoy, he has thrown a lot of picks and the Browns are in more of a predicament now, having used a 1st rounder on him last year, than they would be if they had stood pat. Especially since they could have taken any number of productive players and likely still had Weeden in the 2nd round.

RGIII - As a Rams fan, I really wanted to see the Redskins fall flat this year and bring us a top 10 pick from the trade, so I very much dismissed a lot of what RGIII brought to the NFL. I am still very pleased that we made that trade, as I am an strong advocate of trading down and building through sheer numbers, but RGIII has been much better than I thought he would be.

Lamar Miller - I really liked Miller coming out of college, and thought he would be the next coming of Clinton Portis. I have yet to see him on SportsCenter since the day the draft coverage ended.
stlouisfan37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:00 AM    (permalink
Brown Leader
Pro Bowler

Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Since I started posting.

Misses

1. Knowshon Moreno
Thought he'd be a better Kevin Faulk. He's managed to revive himself of late under Fox but he's still a huge disapointment based on where he went.

2. Everette Brown
Loved the highlights-didn't look enough at the all around game.

3. LeSean McCoy
Did not want the Browns to draft him after reading he tried to emulate Reggie Bush's playing style. Looked at him briefly at Pitt and wasn't blown away.

4. Robert Griffin
I don't think it's too soon to count him as a miss. I thought he'd be a roller coaster of a talent but his best strength so far has been his consistency.

5. Montario Hardesty
I thought he'd be a beast of a RB inside a WCO. Looked so much like Ryan Grant to me.

6. Andy Dalton

Watched a sub par performance senior week and didn't think he had much going for him. Also couldn't understand the hype after his pro day a month or so later.

Hits

1. J.J. Watt
My man crush in 11'. Even though the Browns were transitioning to the 43 defense, I still pimped him hard for us up until the draft. Loved everything about the guy. I thought he could start at DE and move inside on passing downs.

2. Navarro Bowman
Loved him. I saw a first round pick for sure when I watched him at Penn State but for some reason he wasn't regarded that high. Plus there were some character concerns.

3. Rolando McClain
Just didn't see what almost everyone else was seeing with this guy. I called him a slower, softer Dansby.

4. Percy Harvin
When the Browns kept trading down in 09', I thought Harvin was their target. I mentioned we'd regret passing him. I thought he would be a beast of a yac WR and be able to free up Cribbs on returns.

5. Demaryius Thomas
Loved him early on and again, like Iupati, his stock rose out of the range I thought the Browns could get him.

6. Mike Iupati
Liked him very early on in 10' and his stock just kept rising and rising.

7. Colt McCoy
Like many others, I didn't see an NFL QB. I literally let out a shout of relief when the Browns didn't take him with their 2nd rounder as had been mocked by everyone. Then we took him in the 3rd. He's actually been better then I'd imagined but still not a solid starting QB.

8. Kam Chancellor
Didn't rate him extremely high but I desperately wanted the Browns to draft him in the mid rounds after getting a good look at him senior week.

-The rest that I really liked who aren't clearly one or the other yet.

Greg Little
Sort of in the same "jury's still out" as Graham. Looked like a sure bust until around mid season. Since then he's looked much more like the guy most expected coming out of N.Carolina.

Brandon Graham
Possibly not as big of a miss since he's been playing well late in the season. Suppose he's in the middle with the jury still out.

Anthony Davis

Loved Davis early on and only stopped mocking him to the Browns after we picked up an OT in FA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by borg9 View Post
Are you not entertained? Is this not why you are here?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBess View Post
....ask Brandon Weeden.

Last edited by Brown Leader : 12-28-2012 at 12:09 AM.
Brown Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 11:35 PM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler

Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Bumping this thread again because it's a good way into a new year, there's some new blood in the water and a few players have stepped up their game as their careers continued, while others have regressed. To refresh anybody: A hit is a player you really loved or really disliked, relative to his perceived draft stock, that you were right about. A miss is a player you really loved or really disliked, relative to a prospect's perceived draft stock, that you were wrong about.

HITS:

I wasn't real high on RGIII and I'm going to put him on here. I thought his game was dependent on his ability to run, and I thought the way he ran was going to get him hurt. When he can't run, he's not effective. That's been the story so far. What we're seeing in Washington right now is what I predicted before he was drafted.

KEENAN ALLEN. Loved the guy, had him at the top of all my wide receiver rankings, thought teams were dumb for letting him fall, and he's turned into San Diego's number one wide receiver in the last month. They haven't fed a guy the ball like this in a long time. We'll see if he can maintain that. 20 catches for 302 yards in the last three games. He's not padding his numbers on fluky big plays; Philip Rivers is just throwing it to him all game.

Eddie Lacy is looking like I thought he would. Green Bay's happy to have a legitimate bruiser again, finally.

ZAC STACY! St. Louis finally listened to me and has started feeding him the ball. He's not flashy but he picks up yards consistently, and teams with struggling running games come around to appreciating that.

Larry Warford. Loved, love loved him as a bulldozing guard, and Detroit does, too.

MISSES:

I refused to buy the Giovani Bernard hype. I thought he wasn't fast enough. I told myself I was looking at Knowshon Moreno (pre-2013) version 2.0. I've got him on my fantasy team now. He's fun to watch.

I was yanking the horn chain on the Tavon Austin train as it was leaving the station, and I don't know what to think anymore. I thought his open-field ability would translate instantly, but he hasn't done a thing and we're a 3rd of the way through the regular season already. Is it route-running? Is it hands? Admittedly I haven't been watching many Rams games, but I don't think I've seen a Tavon Austin highlight all year.
Caulibflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 02:59 AM    (permalink
grushcow
Rookie

grushcow is a cocksman.grushcow is a cocksman.grushcow is a cocksman.grushcow is a cocksman.

Two misses really stick with me (but it was before the whole reviewing film phase...was more highlight related, with a bit of live games mixed in).

I really vouched for Jimmy Clausen...over Sam Bradford, well realistically I shouldn't have picked either....but Clausen was about as horrific as possible.

Then a guy I see a lot of guys say in Everrette Brown, his burst off the line was unreal...but he just never seemed to stick anywhere.

Would love Menelik Watson to see the field a bit too....not feeling so good about him now.

Also I was very down on Andre Smith, and for where he went he's definitely been a pretty big disappointment.

Last edited by grushcow : 10-15-2013 at 03:01 AM.
grushcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 04:28 AM    (permalink
BigBanger
Veteran

BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigBanger is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Misses:

Vernon Gholston, DE, Ohio State
Reshard Mendenhall, RB, Illinois
Reggie Bush, RB, USC
Cedric Benson, RB, Texas

Those three were all ranked in my Top 3 overall. Bush is having a resurgence to his career and just starting to look like the player I thought he was going to be, but his career has been way too mediocre for the superstar that I thought he was going to be. He was the easiest prospect to scout because his flaws were obvious. He just wasn't going to be as spectacular as we all thought he was going to be. Still a good player though. Those are my three major misses at the top of my board. I thought Gholston was the best player in his draft. A future 12+ sack a year type DE. Cedric Benson had a solid career, but I marveled at him in college. I thought he was easily the best RB in his draft class. I thought the Bears got a steal. Mendenhall has great talent, but he has his own issues preventing him from being special. I still like his talent, but he's just not a worker.

Quote:
Some others:

Arron Sears, OG, Tennessee
Robert Ayers, DE, Tennessee
Brandon Graham, DE, Michigan (Thought he was the best defensive player in his draft)
Ryan Matthews, RB, Fresno State (I defended the Chargers when they took him)
Cam Newton, QB, Auburn (Much better passer than I gave credit for and more pro ready)
Blaine Gabbert, QB, Missouri
Eben Britton, OT, Arizona (I had him in my Top 20)
Nate Solder, OT, Colorado
Luis Castillo, DT, Northwestern (I loved his potential. I don't even know what happened to him)
Russell Wilson, QB, Nebraska (Never gave him a chance due to size)
Odell Thurman, LB, Georgia (Great talent; one of the best forgotten LBs in recent memory)
Jonathan Wade, CB, Tennessee (Fringe 1st Round Grade)
Broderick Bunkley, DT, Florida State
Antonio Bryant, WR, Pittsburgh
Josh Reed, WR, LSU
Marcus McCauley, CB, Fresno State
AJ Hawk, LB, Ohio State (He was the gold standard)
Tony Hunt, RB, Penn State
Justin Harrell, DT, Tennessee
Robert Meachem, WR, Tennessee
Pat Sims, DT, Auburn
Pat Lee, CB, Auburn
Mike Williams, WR, USC
Charles Rogers, WR, Michigan State (I thought Andre was better, but I still thought he was a beast)
Philip Merling, DE, Clemson
Geno Atkins, DT, Georgia (Didn't have a clue he was this good)
Justin Houston, DE, Georgia (Thought he was a second rounder, he was damn near elite)
Mark Ingram, RB, Alabama (He was great... I swear he was)
I am way too high on too many Tennessee players.

Hits:

Darrelle Revis, CB, Pittsburgh
Vincent Jackson, WR, Northern Colorado
Brady Quinn, QB, Notre Dame
Joey Harrington, QB, Oregon

Revis, Jackson, Quinn and Harrington are some of my biggest hits. I called Revis a better prospect than Terrance Newman and the best CB I've ever seen. He was my 4th ranked player overall and I gave him an elite grade. Vincent Jackson was ranked in my Top 10 overall. If anything, he's been less impressive than I what I thought he was going to be. Quinn and Harrington were two obvious busts to me. Quinn had a lot of detractors as the process wore on, but I bashed the living hell out of these two. More than any other QB before it, or since.

Quote:
Other players I was either really high on that panned out or really low on that failed.

LaMarr Woodley, LB, Michigan (Top 10)
Chad Jackson, WR, Florida (Unranked, called him a fraud who couldn't run routes)
Jimmy Clausen, QB, Notre Dame (He's worse than Quinn, which I didn't expect)
Anquan Boldin, WR, Florida State (Loved him. Had him in my Top 5 Overall)
Brandon Marshall, WR, Central Florida (Mid 1st Round; one of my better predictions)
Troy Williamson, WR, South Carolina (Unranked)
Marion Barber III, Minnesota (Liked him)
Laurence Maroney, RB, Minnesota (Hated him; bad pick by NE though)
Reggie Williams, WR, Washington (Big slow and dumb. Celebrated a 6 yard catch like a game winning TD in the Super Bowl)
Brandon Flowers, CB, Virginia Tech (#6 overall for me)
Justin Miller, CB, Clemson
Darnell Docket, DT, Florida State (Top 15)
Larry Johnson, RB, Penn State (Top 5)
Steven Jackson, RB, Oregon State (Top 10)
Byron Leftwich, QB, Marshall (Unranked)
Christian Ponder, QB, Florida State (Can't remember where I had him. Maybe 3rd round, but he was a reach in round 1 and a terrible pick)
Clinton Portis, RB, Miami (FL) - (Top RB in his draft and Top 10 overall)
TJ Duckett, RB, Michigan State
NaVorro Bowman, LB, Penn State (Loved his game, thought his character was going to make him an Odell Thurman though)
Quentin Moses, DE, Georgia
William Green, RB, Boston College
Jamaal Charles, RB, Texas
Darren McFadden, RB, Arkansas (I don't know if I've ever been more right about a player)
Tye Hill, CB, Clemson
Manny Lawson, DE, NC State
Trent Edwards, QB, Stanford
Mike Wallace, WR, Ole Miss
Donte Whitner, S, Ohio State
Bobby Carpenter, LB, Ohio State
Jamaal Anderson, DE, Arkansas
Dwayne Jarrett, WR, USC
Peria Jerry, DT, Ole Miss

I'm not even sure these count:

Aaron Maybin, LB, Penn State
Tyson Jackson, DE, LSU
Tim Tebow, QB, Florida
Taylor Mays, S, USC
Quote:
Originally Posted by PossibleCabbage View Post
I would like it if there were more successful black Quarterbacks in the NFL...
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
iamcandian lives in a cabin in the Yukon Territory and writes letters to railroad barons about the price of hard tack.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorsBullsFan View Post
I could possibly see Matthew Stafford Dropping out of the 1st round
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoRavens View Post
Tahj Boyd has the best fundamentals of any QB in this class, I think his game translates great to the NFL.

Last edited by BigBanger : 10-18-2013 at 09:36 AM.
BigBanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 08:07 AM    (permalink
Blawbert
Rookie

Blawbert is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blawbert is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blawbert is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blawbert is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blawbert is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blawbert is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blawbert is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blawbert is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blawbert is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blawbert is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Blawbert is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Really thought matt trannon and mike haas were going to be top shelf receivers.
Blawbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 05:21 PM    (permalink
Brown Leader
Pro Bowler

Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brown Leader is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Couple of my misses above looking a little better right now.
Here's a few I forgot and some others technically too early but...

Misses

Joe Haden
For me, he was too small and not fast enough. I was terrified of taking him top ten. One of the leaders of the Browns now and continues to get better. I still don't think he's quite as good as his rep but he was well worth a top ten select. Thanks Mangini.

Jarrett Brown
I thought he'd be a developmental guy that surprised. Instead he wasn't even drafted and couldn't hold a job as an udfa.

Dorrin Dickerson
I thought I was seeing a poor man's Demaryius Thomas. Nope.

Trevor Guyton
Couldn't make the Vikings 53 and hasn't been picked up by anyone. Still holding out hope for one of my favorite guys coming out that I though would be a diamond in the rough but I think it's a clear miss so far.

Hits

Danny Trevathan
Absolutely loved him coming out and I couldn't figure why he wasn't more highly regarded. Had a disastrous draft post season and became a late round steal for Denver. A top 100 guy to me.

Mo Claiborne
I was one of the very few not high on him at all. I've mentioned before how I really soured on him after, imo, he got outplayed by little Stedman Bailey in 11'. He's got plenty time to turn it up but so far not coming close to expectations.

Keenan Allen
Also an enormous Allen fan. Ran him in my sig in a Browns' uniform for months. Adamant that he was a first round caliber talent. He and Gordon would've been like Dez and a healthy Miles.

Anthony Davis
I think I can call Davis a hit finally. Jumped on the bandwagon very early when he was at Rutgers. Slowly becoming the OT he was supposed to be.

Chase Minnefield
Saw a latter round guy, at best, every time. I'm still not sure why he was highly regarded by some-maby it was the lineage.

Sam Montgomery
Recently released. I never bought the hype on his on field play then that scathing statement by an LSU coach pre draft sealed it for me.

Jury's still out...

David Wilson
Favorite RB coming out last year. Certainly shown flashes, but this year, given the opportunity to start, he's been a monumental disappointment

Michael Floyd
I figured he'd make a much bigger impact by now.

Tyler Wilson
Figured he'd be taking the reins of the Raiders about now.

Dee Millner
I didn't see an elite level CB at all. Too early to say but he definitely hasn't hit the ground running.

Jordan Reed
One of my guys coming out that was getting overlooked. I felt very confident he'd outplay his draft position. So far so good.

Dwayne Allen/Coby Fleener
It was clear to me Allen was the better guy. Thus far it's sorta played out that way but still early for both.

Brock Osweiler
Huge fan of his coming out. Made a little breakdown of him vs Tannehill. There's no way really to tell where he's at either way but I thought I'd include him based on all the man love I gave him and how bad Weeden is looking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by borg9 View Post
Are you not entertained? Is this not why you are here?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBess View Post
....ask Brandon Weeden.

Last edited by Brown Leader : 10-21-2013 at 01:57 PM.
Brown Leader is offline   Reply With Quote