Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > College Football

College Football Discuss College Football

Old 01-10-2012, 01:25 AM    (permalink
Mufasa
Veteran

Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mufasa is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

^ That is awful
Mufasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 02:13 AM    (permalink
JHL6719
Veteran

JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuc View Post
Why does having 8 first rounders on a team make them the best collage defense of all time?

Bama D this year held teams to less than 8.8 points a game... Number 1 in the Pass/Rush Etc... Dude Bama was lights out good. Were taking Mike Tyson left hook lights out.

Bama's defense gives up less than that. That 8.8 PPG is just looking at total points in the final score, all of those points weren't given up by the defense.

The defense only gave up 85 points all season. Only gave up 82 in regulation (Gave up 3 points to LSU in overtime) But I'm not even sure you can charge those 3 points to the defense. LSU was given the ball at Bama's 25 yardline, its not like they had to earn those 3 points. All they had to do was not go backwards.

Bama's defense gives up 6.5 PPG including overtime, and only 6.3 PPG in regulation.

Bama's defense gave up 7 points to Kent St. in the opener. The only reason Kent St. got those 7 points was because Bama's offense threw an INT and Kent St. returned it all the way to the 3 yardline.

Gave up 11 points to Penn St. in Happy Valley.

Shut out N. Texas. (0 points)

Gave up 14 points to Arkansas, in a game where the backups played the entire 4th quarter.

Gave up 10 points to Florida.

Shut out Vanderbilt. (0 points)

Gave up 7 points to Ole Miss.

Gave up 6 points to Tennessee.

As mentioned, only gave up 6 points to LSU in regulation. 3 in overtime.

Gave up 7 points to Miss. St.

Gave up 14 points to Georgia Southern in a game that Bama didn't even game plan for.

Shut out Auburn's offense (0 points). Auburn recovered a fumble by McCarron in the endzone, and McCalebb ran back the 2nd half kickoff for the 14 points.

Shut out LSU. (0 points)

Bama's defense has only given up 9 touchdowns all season. 3 rushing and 6 passing.

The longest run given up by the defense to a D-1 team all season was an 18 yard scramble by Jordan Jefferson on Nov. 5th.

Alabama's defense literally ranks 1st in every statistical category there is. No matter how big or how small.
JHL6719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 03:17 AM    (permalink
yodabear
Magic Fingers
Legend

yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well I hate the BCS as much as any1, its so dumb and gives no one a chance at all. There would be no Tim Tebow like in the NFL in college football. Hell there wouldn't be ****. The Rams would play the Colts in the Any Pizza for $10 Bowl and the Patriots and Packers would play in the Super Bowl. However, if u watched the game and watched over the season, no doubt in my mind...Bama was the best team. Yeah they had one bad game where their defense didn't give up a TD and their kickers missed 4 field goals. So ummmmm yeah, can't ***** much at all.
Old 01-10-2012, 03:20 AM    (permalink
RCAChainGang
Pro Bowler

RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RCAChainGang is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Calubflower that is just stupid. That would never happen because teams aren't going to want to play 4 more games to determine a winner. That would make some seasons longer than NFL seasons.

Just no... Give me the top 4 ranked teams and have #1 vs #4 and #2 vs #3 then have the championship. Solves tie-breaking crap and only adds one game to the season.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
Bill Polian is cancer wrapped in AIDS delivered in an XXL enema so please don't expect me to disagree with you.
RCAChainGang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 03:47 AM    (permalink
dannyz
Veteran

dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't get the people who say Alabama didn't Deserve to be in this game. Their only loss was to LSU and it was by 3 in overtime and they lost by missed Field Goals. If not Alabama then who? Oklahoma State lost to Iowa State, Oregon Lost to LSU and USC and Stanford lost to Oregon. Alabama is the National Champion because they beat LSU on the Big State and if LSU was the Better team then they should have killed Alabama and they ended up getting Dominated themselves.
dannyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 03:53 AM    (permalink
yodabear
Magic Fingers
Legend

yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyz View Post
I don't get the people who say Alabama didn't Deserve to be in this game. Their only loss was to LSU and it was by 3 in overtime and they lost by missed Field Goals. If not Alabama then who? Oklahoma State lost to Iowa State, Oregon Lost to LSU and USC and Stanford lost to Oregon. Alabama is the National Champion because they beat LSU on the Big State and if LSU was the Better team then they should have killed Alabama and they ended up getting Dominated themselves.
SEC hate, the non-division/conference winner being in the championship, the really low scoring teams, and just the BCS in general. I was one of those but yeah it seems like the team that is getting argued against being there wins. But yeah my mind was changed, and that was especially tonight.
Old 01-10-2012, 04:01 AM    (permalink
dannyz
Veteran

dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dannyz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodapoop View Post
SEC hate, the non-division/conference winner being in the championship, the really low scoring teams, and just the BCS in general. I was one of those but yeah it seems like the team that is getting argued against being there wins. But yeah my mind was changed, and that was especially tonight.
I get that and I was not 100% with Alabama playing in it at the Beginning but when I thought about it they were the Clear Cut Top two teams in the Nation. People can say Oklahoma State but I just don't think you should get a shot when you lose to a nobody like Iowa State and I know they had the Horrible Death of the Basketball Coaches but a National Champion does not lose to a team like that. I really liked this game and would rather see a low scoring game like this then a 60-50 game like the Baylor Game because I Love good Defense and hate watching players just miss tackles and teams running up and down the field because no one can stop them. The National Championship Game you had to earn your yards.
dannyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 04:22 AM    (permalink
wogitalia
Pro Bowler

wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wogitalia is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I watched Stanford vs Oklahoma State, those two teams just don't compare, they just aren't as good as Bama or even LSU. They are probably better than LSU offensively, LSU were pretty damn good on offense against everyone not named Alabama though so it's arguable, heck they only scored less than 35 points 3 times this season and below 40 5 times and they did it in the SEC which sure as hell means more than doing it in the PAC or Big 12 where you are only allowed to field a defense for half a game. Of course once you are done with the offensive comparison, where it is "probably" edge Stanford/Okie State then you get to the defensive side of things and if you think it's even worth going any further than that, stop watching football because it just isn't the sport for you.

Bama was the best team in the nation all season, heck they were better than LSU they just didn't beat them. They proved it today beyond any doubt when they thoroughly outplayed them for the 2nd time, this time they didn't screw it up.

Will also add, Stanford outplayed Oklahoma State, should have won that game and just beat themselves in the end. It wouldn't have been close against Bama, I'm still not sure they'd have scored and even if they did, Bama would have put up 40+ on them with ease.

Props to BK on the sig!
wogitalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 04:41 AM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler

Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCAChainGang View Post
Calubflower that is just stupid. That would never happen because teams aren't going to want to play 4 more games to determine a winner. That would make some seasons longer than NFL seasons.

Just no... Give me the top 4 ranked teams and have #1 vs #4 and #2 vs #3 then have the championship. Solves tie-breaking crap and only adds one game to the season.
I was bored. I'd take a 4-team playoff, too. I know adding a month of playoffs is not going to happen.
Caulibflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 05:09 AM    (permalink
boknows34
Veteran

boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.boknows34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Final AP poll.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/foo...ap/?eref=sinav

1. Alabama (55)
2. LSU (1)
3. Oklahoma St (4)
4. Oregon
5. Arkansas
boknows34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 05:18 AM    (permalink
asdf1223
Veteran

asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.asdf1223 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This game was as much about LSU's offensive ineptitude as it was about "real football" and all that nonsense that BSPN keeps spinning. Ravens 49ers this year was great defensive battle in which there was atleast some balance. This was not unfortunately.

Congrats to Alabama though, they beat the best team in the country and deserve to be No.1. Gotta feel bad for LSU though. Almost like the 2007 Patriots. The end result is going to be way more cupcake scheduling though. Oregon's already started it. They play Arkansas State, Fresno State, Tennessee Tech as out of conference opponents next year.
Old 01-10-2012, 06:01 AM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wogitalia View Post
I see what you did there, but honestly, typing There're is actually harder than typing the real thing, not to mention it means using real words that make you sound intelligent(which you generally are!
I refuse to apologize for using conversational, colloquial terms when drunk and on NFLDC, as I was last night.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 06:03 AM    (permalink
Cudders
Rookie

Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Jordan Jefferson was garbage. He's been garbage his entire career at LSU, so it's not like this came as a shock. Les Miles has stuck with him because of this notion that he's got tantalizing upside and it cost him. Now, that's not to claim that LSU would've won with Jarrett Lee, but it's inarguable that the plug should have been pulled on Jefferson last night. Lee was better equipped to face that suffocating defense and Miles refused to evolve with game situations.

Regarding potential postseason changes for college football, I think the best system I've heard thus far is a six-team playoff where the two top seeds get rewarded with a bye week, the caveat being that each of the top two seeds must be conference winners. That way, the regular season preserves some of its playoff-like atmosphere and a conclusive champion is crowned on the field.
Cudders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 06:59 AM    (permalink
JHL6719
Veteran

JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JHL6719 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cudders View Post
Jordan Jefferson was garbage. He's been garbage his entire career at LSU, so it's not like this came as a shock. Les Miles has stuck with him because of this notion that he's got tantalizing upside and it cost him. Now, that's not to claim that LSU would've won with Jarrett Lee, but it's inarguable that the plug should have been pulled on Jefferson last night. Lee was better equipped to face that suffocating defense and Miles refused to evolve with game situations.Regarding potential postseason changes for college football, I think the best system I've heard thus far is a six-team playoff where the two top seeds get rewarded with a bye week, the caveat being that each of the top two seeds must be conference winners. That way, the regular season preserves some of its playoff-like atmosphere and a conclusive champion is crowned on the field.

I don't know about that. Jarrett Lee is Jordan Jefferson, but without the legs and mobility. He would've been a sitting duck against that defense.

Hell, Lee only completed 3 passes against Bama in the first game and threw 2 INT's on back to back throws.

Jarrett Lee for his career has 1 TD and 7 INT's against Bama.

Les Miles went into this game knowing that Jordan Jefferson was his only shot.
Old 01-10-2012, 07:49 AM    (permalink
Bucs147
Rookie

Bucs147 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs147 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs147 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs147 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs147 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs147 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs147 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs147 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs147 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs147 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bucs147 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuc View Post
Why does having 8 first rounders on a team make them the best collage defense of all time?

Bama D this year held teams to less than 8.8 points a game... Number 1 in the Pass/Rush Etc... Dude Bama was lights out good. Were taking Mike Tyson left hook lights out.
How many competent offenses Alabama faced this season ? By my count, zero.
Bucs147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 08:16 AM    (permalink
JHL6719
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucs147 View Post
They faced far more competent offenses than anybody else from other conferences faced competent defenses.

Strange how teams from the Pac-12, Big-12, Big-10, ACC, Big-East and whatever else can't seem to score more than these "boring" offenses from the SEC.

Yet the SEC has no problem scoring more than them.

The digital tally on the scoreboard is what determines wins and losses. It's why they keep score.
Old 01-10-2012, 08:22 AM    (permalink
JHL6719
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
you know, until he saw him play and realized that jefferson alone pretty much ensured that LSU had zero chance of even competing, much less winning, and in general looked like the single worst college quarterback ever. yup, no sense is trying to fix that glaring problem.

I don't see how sticking in an even worse quarterback fixes that glaring problem.

It should never have come to that anyway. LSU was clearly the better team and Alabama didn't belong on the field with 'em anyway.
Old 01-10-2012, 08:25 AM    (permalink
JHL6719
Veteran

FWIW, that 70-33 And1 match in the Orange Bowl between WV and Clemson was the lowest rated BCS game in history.
Old 01-10-2012, 08:33 AM    (permalink
jrdrylie
All-NFLDC

jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucs147 View Post
Arkansas and...

The truth is, they played one NFL QB all year. Kent State (119 in total offense), Penn State (95), North Texas (96), Florida (105), Vanderbilt (98), Ole Miss (114), Tennessee without Bray (104), LSU twice (86), Mississippi State (84), Auburn (100), and Georgia Southern (Not Ranked). Arkansas was ranked 29th. So the average offense they played was 88th. Being ranked 1st in most defensive categories is impressive. But when you look at the offenses, it loses some of it's luster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidGold View Post
Bortlezzzzzzz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monomach View Post
Brilliant letting one of Scott Pioli's henchmen have his own team to ruin.  One of the premier GM jobs in the NFL and it gets handed to a stupid **** who makes three facepalm moves for every good one.  Awesome.  Just like handing a new Mercedes to a 16 year old girl who's already been in three wrecks. 
jrdrylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 08:50 AM    (permalink
Cudders
Rookie

Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cudders is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHL6719 View Post
I don't know about that. Jarrett Lee is Jordan Jefferson, but without the legs and mobility. He would've been a sitting duck against that defense.
Completely disagree. Obviously, Jordan Jefferson is the superior athlete. That goes without saying. But athleticism is hardly the lone tool available to quarterbacks facing an aggressive defense. In fact, if faced with an attacking defense like the one ‘Bama rolled out last night, I’m putting my best pocket passer under center. End of story. Not my best athlete pretending to be a quarterback. Jefferson was lost out there and his legs didn’t do him one bit of good. He was a deer in headlights. He created pressure in his own mind and ran right into the rush at times. He stopped looking downfield when the Tide brought heat and stared at defenders as they came. He caved. He froze. It was clear that he couldn’t handle the moment, but Les Miles did nothing about it.

It’s debatable as to whether it would’ve made a difference in the outcome. Personally, I’m inclined to believe that it wouldn’t have. It just stuns me that the change was never made. Especially since your current guy was clearly spinning his tires and showed no signs of gaining traction. Lee holds clear advantages over Jefferson in pre-snap reads and going through his progressions. The Tigers had advantages on the perimeter last night when ‘Bama blitzed. Jefferson just couldn’t recognize and capitalize on them. And Jefferson is slow as molasses through his progressions. When he’s reached the top of his drop, he’s still making his first read. That just won’t do. Lee isn’t a world-beater in that regard either, but I believe he could have diagnosed some of what ‘Bama was doing defensively and got the ball out much quicker.

Quote:
Hell, Lee only completed 3 passes against Bama in the first game and threw 2 INT's on back to back throws.
I understand that. And it amazes me that Lee had such a short leash in that game while Jefferson got four quarters to flounder on a much bigger stage. The first pick Lee threw in their November meeting was the second interception he had thrown all season. He got pulled. Confidence broken and sensing the microscope on him, he threw another one after trotting back out there.

Quote:
Jarrett Lee for his career has 1 TD and 7 INT's against Bama.
Again, I’m not claiming that Jarrett Lee would’ve orchestrated some kind of miraculous comeback and engineered a surgical two-minute offense that buried ‘Bama’s national title aspirations. I’m stating that he gave LSU a better chance to move the football. In all likelihood, Lee would’ve been overmatched and struggled regardless. He’s not an elite quarterback that can negate an overwhelming matchup. Instead, LSU pressed the option offense through Jefferson against a front seven that was dominating their individual battles and swarming to the ball. Jefferson never challenged and tested ‘Bama’s backend. At some point, the Tigers coaching staff has to realize that and make the change.

Unless Lee was sullen about his situation with the team and didn’t put forth his best effort in practice, there’s zero reason he shouldn’t have been in the game. Zero.

Quote:
Les Miles went into this game knowing that Jordan Jefferson was his only shot.
And I disagree with that premise.
Cudders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 08:56 AM    (permalink
JHL6719
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrdrylie View Post
Arkansas and...

The truth is, they played one NFL QB all year. Kent State (119 in total offense), Penn State (95), North Texas (96), Florida (105), Vanderbilt (98), Ole Miss (114), Tennessee without Bray (104), LSU twice (86), Mississippi State (84), Auburn (100), and Georgia Southern (Not Ranked). Arkansas was ranked 29th. So the average offense they played was 88th. Being ranked 1st in most defensive categories is impressive. But when you look at the offenses, it loses some of it's luster.

The truth is, when you look at the defenses Oklahoma St. played all year, they literally scraped the bottom of the barrel in terms of total defense.

UL-Lafayette - 75th

Arizona - 110th

Tulsa - 87th

aTm - 59th

Kansas - 120th

Texas - 11th

Missouri - 61st

Baylor - 116th

Kansas St. - 72nd

Texas Tech - 114th

Iowa St. - 95th

Oklahoma - 55th

Stanford - 28th

The average total defense they faced was 77th.

Since the NCAA began keeping stats in 1937, Alabama is only the 2nd team to finish the season #1 in all four major defensive categories (rushing, passing, scoring, and total defense). 1986 Oklahoma Sooners is the other.

However, Alabama's defense ranks 1st in about 15 other categories as well (QB rating against, 3rd down conversion, red zone, YPC, TD's allowed, etc.)

Oklahoma St. is HALF a football team, just like the rest of the Big-12.

The Big-12 is nothing more than C-USA with bigger stadiums.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:11 AM    (permalink
jrdrylie
All-NFLDC

jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
The truth is, when you look at the defenses Oklahoma St. played all year, they literally scraped the bottom of the barrel in terms of total defense.

UL-Lafayette - 75th

Arizona - 110th

Tulsa - 87th

aTm - 59th

Kansas - 120th

Texas - 11th

Missouri - 61st

Baylor - 116th

Kansas St. - 72nd

Texas Tech - 114th

Iowa St. - 95th

Oklahoma - 55th

Stanford - 28th

The average total defense they faced was 77th.

Since the NCAA began keeping stats in 1937, Alabama is only the 2nd team to finish the season #1 in all four major defensive categories (rushing, passing, scoring, and total defense). 1986 Oklahoma Sooners is the other.

However, Alabama's defense ranks 1st in about 15 other categories as well (QB rating against, 3rd down conversion, red zone, YPC, TD's allowed, etc.)

Oklahoma St. is HALF a football team, just like the rest of the Big-12.

The Big-12 is nothing more than C-USA with bigger stadiums.
Here is what I take from your assessment. The average defenses that OK State faced was 11 spots better than the average offenses that Alabama played.

Oklahoma is not HALF a football team. Yes their total defense ranks were a bit bad. But they were 59th in yard per play. That isn't great, but it certainly isn't terrible. The reason their defense gave up so many yards is that their offense scored so quickly. Also, they often had leads, which causes teams to throw more and usually gain a bunch of garbage yards. I'm pretty sure they were also first in the country in turnovers forced and turnover ratio.

For an NFL comparison, Oklahoma State is Green Bay. Great offense. A mediocre defense that is successful at forcing turnovers. Alabama is San Francisco. Great defense. Caretaker QB with a very good running game. Neither style is better. The difference is in college, the championship is decided on paper, by voters and their perceptions on conference strength. In the NFL, it's decided on the field.

Quote:
Bortlezzzzzzz
Quote:
Brilliant letting one of Scott Pioli's henchmen have his own team to ruin.  One of the premier GM jobs in the NFL and it gets handed to a stupid **** who makes three facepalm moves for every good one.  Awesome.  Just like handing a new Mercedes to a 16 year old girl who's already been in three wrecks. 
Old 01-10-2012, 09:16 AM    (permalink
JoeJoeBrown
Pro Bowler

JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JoeJoeBrown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The game drew a 13.6, down 14% from last year's NC.

ESPN is gonna take it in the shorts if they continue with the sec over hyperbole. Viewer fatigue is setting in already.
JoeJoeBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 09:22 AM    (permalink
jrdrylie
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJoeBrown View Post
The game drew a 13.6, down 14% from last year's NC.

ESPN is gonna take it in the shorts if they continue with the sec over hyperbole. Viewer fatigue is setting in already.
Luckily, I think we are in for a big change in the BCS this year. They are meeting this week and I'll be shocked if a plus-one system isn't implemented. It certainly isn't perfect, but it's better than what we have now.

Quote:
Bortlezzzzzzz
Quote:
Old 01-10-2012, 09:26 AM    (permalink
Shane P. Hallam
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shane P. Hallam is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrdrylie View Post
Luckily, I think we are in for a big change in the BCS this year. They are meeting this week and I'll be shocked if a plus-one system isn't implemented. It certainly isn't perfect, but it's better than what we have now.
Yup, I can't wait!

Follow Me on Twitter!
https://twitter.com/ShanePHallam
Shane P. Hallam is offline   Reply With Quote