Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > 2015 NFL Draft Forum

2015 NFL Draft Forum Discuss the 2015 NFL Draft

Old 12-29-2011, 02:07 AM    (permalink
DBNYDP
Veteran

DBNYDP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DBNYDP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DBNYDP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DBNYDP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DBNYDP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DBNYDP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DBNYDP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DBNYDP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DBNYDP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DBNYDP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DBNYDP is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Doug Martin, RB, Boise St.

Personally I love Doug Martin. He's built like a tank, runs in between the tackles well, and really uses his low center of gravity. He has good quickness and also has pretty good breakaway speed. He has soft hands and I don't see any real problems with route running. Haven't seen him much in pass pro, but from what I've seen he hasn't really had huge problems. His stats are solid and I think he'll light up the combine.

Really easy to see a Ray Rice or MJD comparison with about the same build and running style.

I would have no problem using a late 1st or an early 2nd on him, and he's probably my #2 RB behind Richardson.

Thoughts?
DBNYDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 02:08 AM    (permalink
PossibleCabbage
Pro Bowler

PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PossibleCabbage is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Doug Martin is the upper-middle-class man's Mark Ingram. Nothing really special about him, but absolutely everything is solid.
PossibleCabbage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 09:23 AM    (permalink
ATLDirtyBirds
Legend

ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ATLDirtyBirds is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PossibleCabbage View Post
Doug Martin is the upper-middle-class man's Mark Ingram. Nothing really special about him, but absolutely everything is solid.
Spot on...
Old 12-29-2011, 09:49 AM    (permalink
BeerBaron
Team Leader
Legend

BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BeerBaron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I actually like his burst a little better than Ingram, and I think he has better hands out of the backfield. (Do recall that I'm not a fan of Ingram.)

I'd love, love love, love for the Bears to take Martin with one of their 3rd rounders to backup/potentially replace Forte if need be.

Martin is incredibly balanced and I think he does everything relatively well, even if he doesn't totally blow you away in any one area.
Old 12-29-2011, 02:23 PM    (permalink
thefridge15
Rookie

thefridge15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefridge15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefridge15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefridge15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefridge15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefridge15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefridge15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefridge15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefridge15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefridge15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefridge15 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like Doug Martin and he does compare to MJD and Rice but I don't feel like he moves as well laterally as either of those two guys. He's a much more linear runner, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:58 AM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler

Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Was going to start a new thread out of enthusiasm, but held back and found one already created. I'm starting to get pretty excited about this Martin guy, especially since he seems to be a 2nd-3rd round guy in most people's eyes. Like DBNYDP, I've got him as my no. 2 running back right now behind Richardson. Every time I watch him I come away more impressed. He's got legitimate breakaway speed, terrific balance and runs like the Tazmanian Devil. He's got the perfect build and even has good hands. I'm sure it's not that big of a deal, but I also love that he played some strong safety earlier in his career. That's the kind of attitude you want in your primary ballcarrier. He's a pretty violent runner who's got some serious quicks and speed to him as well. Tons of yards after contact. Despite having speed, doesn't just look to bounce it outside; he's really good at following his blockers and seeing and hitting the holes hard, whether that means angling for the sideline or turning it back inside.

Videos: (Spoiler-style so as not to clutter the page)

Versus Arizona State 2011

Versus Nevada 2010 (I think)

Versus New Mexico 2011

Versus Nevada 2011

Last edited by Caulibflower : 01-11-2012 at 01:16 AM.
Caulibflower is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 01:59 AM    (permalink
norcalgsr
Veteran

norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Poor man's Jonathan Stewart.
norcalgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 02:30 AM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler

Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caulibflower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalgsr View Post
Poor man's Jonathan Stewart.
Nah. Smaller Jonathan Stewart.
Old 01-13-2012, 12:36 AM    (permalink
4U2NV
Hall of Famer
Pro Bowler

4U2NV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.4U2NV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.4U2NV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.4U2NV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.4U2NV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.4U2NV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.4U2NV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.4U2NV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.4U2NV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.4U2NV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.4U2NV is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm really starting to like what I've seen from Martin. I was watching some Ray Rice highlights from his days at Rutgers earlier and there's some eerily similar traits there and they are almost identical in size. Martin jumps off the screen everytime I watch him and somebody that is quickly rising up my board. I'm looking forward to watching him a bit closer at the Senior Bowl.
4U2NV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 02:16 AM    (permalink
ellsy82
Veteran

ellsy82 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ellsy82 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ellsy82 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ellsy82 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ellsy82 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ellsy82 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ellsy82 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ellsy82 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ellsy82 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ellsy82 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ellsy82 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4U2NV View Post
I'm really starting to like what I've seen from Martin. I was watching some Ray Rice highlights from his days at Rutgers earlier and there's some eerily similar traits there and they are almost identical in size. Martin jumps off the screen everytime I watch him and somebody that is quickly rising up my board. I'm looking forward to watching him a bit closer at the Senior Bowl.
I like your comparison of his running style to Rice.
"He had no teeth, and he was slobbering all over himself. I'm thinking, 'You can have your money back, just get me out of here. Let me go be an accountant." I can't tell you how badly I wanted out of there." Elway's take on Lambert
ellsy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 03:51 AM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Martin is 3rd on my rankings and i think hes gonna be a star!

RIP themaninblack
SuperPacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 07:25 AM    (permalink
rawdawg
Veteran

rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rawdawg is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerBaron View Post
I actually like his burst a little better than Ingram, and I think he has better hands out of the backfield. (Do recall that I'm not a fan of Ingram.)

I'd love, love love, love for the Bears to take Martin with one of their 3rd rounders to backup/potentially replace Forte if need be.

Martin is incredibly balanced and I think he does everything relatively well, even if he doesn't totally blow you away in any one area.
Agree with all of this, and I liked Ingram, but didn't love him. I don't think the Bears would go with a RB that early, but if you don't work out a long-term deal with Forte you gotta keep the option open. Forte long-term deal or not, I'd hate to draft a RB in the 3rd if 2 of DE, WR, LT are NOT filled in free agency. They take care of a couple of those position with veterans, then they can go after WR, CB in the first 2 rounds and then get a LB and RB with their 2 3rd rounders.
rawdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 12:38 PM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PossibleCabbage View Post
Good description!
Old 01-13-2012, 01:42 PM    (permalink
the_dark_knight
Veteran

the_dark_knight hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I like Martin, never really looked too much into RBs as the Falcons don't need one right now, I mean they could use a CoP back that's got some explosion and Martin doesn't really fit that, but I would love to see him in Atlanta getting groomed to take over for Turner. He reminds me of Michael Turner in terms of patience and vision, the difference to me is that he's got the athletic ability to make those cuts when he sees the holes.

A lot of times Turner will see a cutback, but just can't really get back the other direction fast enough, Martin seems to have that ability. You know another guy that he reminds me of, Curtis Martin. That guy was nothing 'special' but man he was a work horse for years and years. I know it's got a lot to do with the last name, but I remember watching him run and he was a down hill type runner too, but he could always seem to just get off the hit enough to squirt for a couple more yards.

Not elite speed, not elite anything really, but I'd say he's got some excellent vision and cutback ability that would be 2nd tier, he's not going to rival shady or anyone like that, but for a back with a thicker build, he's got very good ability to change directions.
the_dark_knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 09:09 PM    (permalink
norcalgsr
Veteran

norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.norcalgsr is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Martin = Chad Simpson
norcalgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 09:26 PM    (permalink
PrimetimeTheDon
Rookie

PrimetimeTheDon is so money.PrimetimeTheDon is so money.PrimetimeTheDon is so money.PrimetimeTheDon is so money.PrimetimeTheDon is so money.PrimetimeTheDon is so money.PrimetimeTheDon is so money.PrimetimeTheDon is so money.PrimetimeTheDon is so money.PrimetimeTheDon is so money.

I saw Doug Martin 2 years ago and was thoroughly impressed. Thick as ****, thighs the size of beer kegs, and as aggressive running the ball as Awnold in Commando. A sweet explosiveness.

Give me this kid in the late first and I'm happier than a pig in ****.

Badababaaa, I'm lovin it.

Last edited by PrimetimeTheDon : 01-18-2012 at 09:30 PM.
PrimetimeTheDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 10:46 PM    (permalink
Lil Quip
Rookie

Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hmm looks like a good mid round pickup for a team with lightning and looking for a little more thunder in the running game.

Reminds me a little of Ridley who we drafted last year in the third.

Is it just me or does Detroit look like a great landing spot for him in the 3rd or 4th? I think the lightning of Best and Smith, middle of Leshoure (and give him time to get knee back) and thunder of Martin.
Lil Quip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 12:09 AM    (permalink
Mr. Goosemahn
All-Pro

Location: Crushed Anthony Thomas hopes and broken Mark Herlizch dreams...
Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Goosemahn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Quip View Post
Hmm looks like a good mid round pickup for a team with lightning and looking for a little more thunder in the running game.

Is it just me or does Detroit look like a great landing spot for him in the 3rd or 4th? I think the lightning of Best and Smith, middle of Leshoure (and give him time to get knee back) and thunder of Martin.
That's way too many RBs, IMO. Smith proved to be a good all-around back, Best is the dangerous threat, and Leshoure is kind of the power runner.

Props to clover_jeez!
Mr. Goosemahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 12:20 AM    (permalink
Lil Quip
Rookie

Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Goosemahn View Post
That's way too many RBs, IMO. Smith proved to be a good all-around back, Best is the dangerous threat, and Leshoure is kind of the power runner.

Best is dangerous yet I would rather limit his straight rushed and increase him in other areas. Smith looked alright, but do you think anyone is banking on him? Leshoure is a big guy, but not a huge power guy, and who knows how he comes back from his injury.

Four guys is not too many if you aren't going to have that one all around guy.
Old 01-19-2012, 03:02 AM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Best is dangerous yet I would rather limit his straight rushed and increase him in other areas. Smith looked alright, but do you think anyone is banking on him? Leshoure is a big guy, but not a huge power guy, and who knows how he comes back from his injury.

Four guys is not too many if you aren't going to have that one all around guy.
If they draft Martin, they might as well just get rid of Smith and LeShoure.
Old 01-19-2012, 12:38 PM    (permalink
Lil Quip
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caulibflower View Post
If they draft Martin, they might as well just get rid of Smith and LeShoure.
I don't know about this. Although it is not exactly the same, but I see the Lions building their offense like the Pats and Saints. Both team have a huge platoon of backs.

We spent a second and a third on a running back (granted we lost Vereen) we kept Woodhead BGE and even Kevin Faulk.

Leshoure is going to stay around, and I doubt Smith is going to look elsewhere for work, so why not keep him around?
Old 01-19-2012, 01:29 PM    (permalink
Shere Khan
Rookie

Shere Khan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shere Khan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shere Khan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shere Khan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shere Khan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shere Khan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shere Khan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shere Khan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shere Khan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shere Khan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shere Khan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

That there is a LOT of Running Backs.

Forget a RBBC, more like a Running-Back-By-Time-Share.

WHO DEY, ALL DEY, ERY' DEY
Shere Khan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 04:33 PM    (permalink
Caulibflower
Pro Bowler

Sounds like he's ballin' at the Senior Bowl, just like I expected. I think he can be a Pro Bowler.
Old 01-25-2012, 04:55 PM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caulibflower View Post
Sounds like he's ballin' at the Senior Bowl, just like I expected. I think he can be a Pro Bowler.
Completely agree! He's second in my RB rankings behind Richardson.

RIP themaninblack
SuperPacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 11:54 PM    (permalink
Inspector71
Rookie

Inspector71 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Inspector71 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Inspector71 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Inspector71 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Inspector71 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Inspector71 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Inspector71 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Inspector71 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Inspector71 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Inspector71 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Inspector71 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I am a big fan of his also. I like the Rice comparison because I think Martin has the hands to be a 60+ reception guy. I'm not sure he can climb as high as the 1st round and leapfrog Miller or Wilson because Teams may want their speed over Martin's power.

I would love for the Browns to get him in the 3rd but we would probably need to use #37 on him.
Inspector71 is offline   Reply With Quote